Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The temporary stand looks empty. Isn't that ironic, that was built for tye Grey Cup and they couldn fill it, while TFC had no problem selling out in a few days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welp, overtime at the GC.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this image in my head of thousands of TFC fans across the GTA glued to their televisions watching the Grey Cup intensely...ignoring the game and focussing on the turf and wincing each time a piece of brown is revealed.

Given the concrete crap they played on at the Stade O, even a turned up patchy BMO will be a vast improvement.

As long as they cover up the football lines and get box measurements right we're good to go. The stakes are too high and the suits know it. They will ensure everything humanly possible is done to ensure nothing screws with Wednesday's match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that last calgary run before time i thought the QB had ripped up the pitch but it was some black towel that fell - i was screaming 'shit' and my wife said 'did they score' and i replied 'no it's a massive divot' - thank god it wasn't but LOL!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now get the fuck off of my field....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a great game actually.

Now...get off the field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That was a great game actually.

Now...get off the field.
    I watched to see how the field would hold up but I'll admit it as well, that was great entertainment for a cup final

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That grass did not look good when they did the overhead closeup for the overtime coin flip.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    that last calgary run before time i thought the QB had ripped up the pitch but it was some black towel that fell - i was screaming 'shit' and my wife said 'did they score' and i replied 'no it's a massive divot' - thank god it wasn't but LOL!!!
    LOL me too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That grass did not look good when they did the overhead closeup for the overtime coin flip.
    Lots of divots. Some of those close up replays have me cringing already.
    Gonna need some serious attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marquis View Post
    The temporary stand looks empty. Isn't that ironic, that was built for tye Grey Cup and they couldn fill it, while TFC had no problem selling out in a few days.
    Hard to say if the extra stands were not full or if there's just bad lighting up there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marquis View Post
    So far it looks like it will be raining Wed. evening. Those temp stands (w/o roof) may not be full then either.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BelfastBoy View Post
    Hard to say if the extra stands were not full or if there's just bad lighting up there.
    I was in the temporary stand tonight, it was packed, shoulder to shoulder. I just wonder what it will be like if it gets rocked somewhat on Wednesday.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    So far it looks like it will be raining Wed. evening. Those temp stands (w/o roof) may not be full then either.
    No, BMO will be rocking. If there is rain - there will be steam coming off the place. The midweek game killed my chance of coming from victoria. I'll be there for the final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they're going to be at it 24 hours a day until then to make it as good as possible (as per the article). I think it'll be fine. We won't have to worry about something like this:

http://wigan.illarterate.co.uk/2010/...ce-conspiracy/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    LOL me too!
    Me too!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    I have this image in my head of thousands of TFC fans across the GTA glued to their televisions watching the Grey Cup intensely...ignoring the game and focussing on the turf and wincing each time a piece of brown is revealed.
    SAME

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister is over for dinner. Her birthday is Nov.27, so she has a lifetime of having the Grey Cup in the vicinity of her celebrations.

When I make some noise of complaint, she turns to my wife.

"who's Mark cheering for?"

My wife replies

"the field"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Still Kicking View Post
    My sister is over for dinner. Her birthday is Nov.27, so she has a lifetime of having the Grey Cup in the vicinity of her celebrations.

My wife replies

"the field"
    You made my day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife replies

"the field"
    I laughed probably a little too hard at this. This is amazing aha.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife replies

"the field"
    Oh man you made my day with post.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least someone had the good sense to force the CFL to stage the cup presentation in an end zone mostly covered in artificial turf. That big mob gathered before the stage probably chewed up some grass. A midfield presentation would have been a nightmare.

As the cup was being presented, four men strolled out towards the centre circle area of the grass, heads down, looking left and right, nudging bits here and there with their toes. Can't say they looked happy.

That was the grounds crew already preparing to start rehabbing a very lumpy, pitted surface. Surprisingly, it was quite firm underfoot. A softer surface would have been worse off. They're lucky to have had an exceptional summer and fall, weather-wise, and a lumpshit CFL team that didn't play in the post-season. It's not hard to picture the mess they'd be coping with if the opposite were true.

They've got a lot to repair. If the game was next weekend, I'd be more confident. Three chilly days isn't a huge margin to restore grass at this time of year. Big test.

It was a decent enough event on the day, but they can't let the possibility of these circumstances happen again. Can't tell you how cynical and uncaring CFL staff, media and fans at the game are about TFC and soccer in general. Lots of sarcasm about the pitch. One CFL media rep told a roomful that he's a Montreal guy and hopes to see a bad field so that Toronto can 'keep on losing'.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    On thing that really surprised me in this article -- that the grass needs to be replaced after the outdoor hockey game? Outdoor NHL has been played on plenty of grass fields, do they always have to be replaced? I thought that they would let the grass go dormant beforehand, and that a few days of being covered wouldn't matter. It's really too bad that the grass needs to be replaced. The existing pitch wasn't great in the beginning of this season, and really improved with time (except for some obvious damage in spots).
    I was told that the pitch gets changed over completely every so often (years) and it's due at the end of the year. It has nothing to do with the damage it may sustain from the shinny.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPB_RED_NATION_RPB View Post
    there is a nice little stadium down the road at Lamport argos should really consider it!!

I agree. It is a 9000 seater now add another 6000 - 8000 and it would be perfect for Argos. City owned and maintained.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I was in the temporary stand tonight, it was packed, shoulder to shoulder.
    Yes, my friends and I were there as well, and it was shoulder to shoulder. Ended up getting shuffled around a bit. Stands were a bit rowdy in the first half.
    Everyone was trying to get along in the second.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I agree. It is a 9000 seater now add another 6000 - 8000 and it would be perfect for Argos. City owned and maintained.
    Operational control now in the hands of MLSE.

There's a nice amount of land to re-build a nifty new boutique stadium solution for the Argos and for the new rugby team that starts next season. Have to see how the rugby does before anything happens there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lamport isn't long enough for them. Since it's King Street at the north end, it would have to expand into the parking lot to the south which presently earns money from people who work in the neighborhood and park there every weekday, so I doubt that it's a realistic option.

More than $100 million was spent on the recent BMO expansion, so they're not about to give up and spend more on some other place any time soon. As they did at Rogers Centre, if they don't like how empty the stadium looks for Argo games, they'll close off the upper level (or maybe one side) of the stadium before they consider the idea of moving them again so soon. If that did happen a few years down the road, maybe they would look at putting a 7-8000 seat metal stand on one side of their practice field in Downsview? The new GO Train/subway station near there should be in operation by early 2018. Steve Simmons said they had 3600 season tickets in 2015, and about 7000 in 2016 although you'd think that number would probably be going back down again.

As long as they return to the scheduling set-up at BMO of leaving at least 5 days after every Argo game to repair/replace the grass, it should be okay. If you're hoping for anything else to change in the near future, don't hold your breath waiting for it since the only alternative is that the grass gets ripped out and artificial turf gets put in, like happened in New England.
    Last edited by Heepster; 11-28-2016 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I was in the temporary stand tonight, it was packed, shoulder to shoulder. I just wonder what it will be like if it gets rocked somewhat on Wednesday.
    What were the sightlines like? And how removed from the game did it feel?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I was in 117 last night near the top and the temporary stands feel way more "removed" from the proceedings than I thought they would when I wandered back to see things from up there. You will definitely be getting wet if it rains and some of the sight lines are a bit iffy in my opinion. Look, if I had no other option to be in the building, I would take the temp seat, but frankly I would probably use it as a GA and go find a place to stand behind the regular south end seats, or even at the north end (patio?!) and it would be a better view then the benches in my opinion. When I turned around from the top of the south stands it was visually tough to even "see" where the temp stands began, as there is a big gap for pedestrian traffic and such....as a last resort ok, but definitely I'd try to get elsewhere if I could.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds;[URL="tel:1822130"
    1822130[/URL]]What were the sightlines like? And how removed from the game did it feel?
    It was a great view. Did not feel disconnected at all. It was rammed.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!