Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    ^ Well it's true. It's ridiculous to have a field with two different surfaces. But it suits them. Maybe if the Argos came in as equal partners over a decade ago things would be different for them. But they didn't, so now they are the couch surfer in someone else's house. No one to blame but themselves.
    Wild speculative prediction: TFC continues to grow at the gate, Canada wins 2026 WC as co-hosts, new 40,000 stadium gets built and we say goodbye to groundshare with Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Wild speculative prediction: TFC continues to grow at the gate, Canada wins 2026 WC as co-hosts, new 40,000 stadium gets built and we say goodbye to groundshare with Argos.
    At this point we can only dream..I would love to have a proper enclosed SSS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't heard anything from the BMO Grounds crew after the Argo's game. I'm a little worried that the Argo's tore up the turf and are afraid to tell anybody.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I haven't heard anything from the BMO Grounds crew after the Argo's game. I'm a little worried that the Argo's tore up the turf and are afraid to tell anybody.
    Nothing that a little green paint won't hide......10 Dec 2016

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    they
    have been instructed to not say anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    they
    have been instructed to not say anything.
    That does not fill me with confidence...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StokeciTFC View Post
    Well they're right. I can't imagine it's safe. Don't know how you put grass there but maybe it's possible. Or maybe we just cut the endzone down to 10 yards? That ought to fix it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well they're right. I can't imagine it's safe. Don't know how you put grass there but maybe it's possible. Or maybe we just cut the endzone down to 10 yards? That ought to fix it!
    I agree totally, the players are right that it's a safety issue. The thing is though, what happens if the players and then the Argos or the CFL begin to lobby for the turf to be replaced with grass?

If the turf can be replaced by grass - at both ends - that can tolerate the temporary seating or the north end mat over it, then fine.

However, if this means that the temporary seating and North end patio have to be permanently removed to accommodate grass for the safety of CFL players, then we have issues. As we would have if talk emerges of an all- "turf pitch.

This is, of course, all conjecture. There might be a solution regarding continuous grass or the complaints might fade away to nothing. I just posted the article because there is the potential, however slight, for significant developments that could reveal who is the true senior tenant at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree. I was trying not to go there but we need to be vigilant that this issue isn't the thin edge of the wedge toward artificial turf.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if the Argos were making money, they could probably have the end zones as natural grass on big trays, that get moved out of the stadium & replaced with a hard surface for TFC games. It would not be cheap. For starters, you would have to dig down into the concrete again at both ends, to get the depth needed for a grass tray system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The half turf/grass endzones certainly did not stop Calgary who dusted the Argos last night. I don't see having an all-grass field as being a priority for the Argos right now, financially or from a performance standpoint.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently LAG are trying to learn a thing or two from BMO this year.

The Chargers are the tenant in this situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

At least the Chargers are paying for the bulk of the renovations and upgrades which has been estimated to be in the "tens of millions of dollars" . That includes new video board, score boards, transforming bleachers into seats, renovating luxury boxes, increased press box, etc. Fantastic deal for the Galaxy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ The Argos paid for their dressing room. Maybe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NFL game will likely be far more destructive to the LA field than we've experienced with the Argos. Mainly because they seem to grind it out up the middle far more. CFL is more spread out, which likely means a bit less wear and tear.
    That said I'd still prefer the Argos team up with the Wolfpack and build a stadium suitable to their game and their crowds.
    In a season and a half we haven't had issues with lines. You can faintly see them, but only if you're really looking for them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how they're going to make the parking on the university grounds work for the Chargers. LA Galaxy aren't even allowed to sell out their playoff games if they're on weekdays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I wonder how they're going to make the parking on the university grounds work for the Chargers. LA Galaxy aren't even allowed to sell out their playoff games if they're on weekdays.
    I believe this is resolved as there are no weeknight home games scheduled for the Chargers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the good news is that between the Argos and TFC nobody is on the field until Saturday September 9. This means the field has 2 weeks for repairs to develop strong roots.

In September the schedule is:
    TFC on the 9th
    Argos on the 16th
    TFC on the 20th
    Argos on the 23rd
    TFC on the 30th

October:
    Argos on the 7th
    TFC on the 15th
    Argos on the 21st

Then playoffs.
    The Argos may host the eastern semi-final on Sunday Nov 12 and perhaps the eatern final on Sunday November 19.

TFC will be hosting playoff games on November 5. Then again on the 28. Then the finals on December 9.

BMO has been very lucky that it has not rained much at all during any games. A rain storm on a game day is a larger nightmare scenario the later in the year we are.

Of course the ultimate worse case scenario is a snow storm during a game. You may recall it snowed the day after the MLS Cup last year. We missed it by hours. And it has snowed a lot in November in Toronto before.

This has the grounds crew up at night already. It will be challenging to have pristine grass the later in the year we get, and a turf that does not cause injuries.

Remember why Seba didn't finish the MLS Cup final?

Imagine we had him available for penalties at the end... Would it have changed the outcome....

Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by InDa_110; 08-29-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lines are NOT the issue. The lines are painted with a chalk subsstance that you can practically remove with a leaf blower. Its the divots that are the problem. That grass is planted on sand and chunks easily. The closer we get to and into Fall the harder that is to fix.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    The Argos may host the eastern semi-final on Sunday Nov 12 and perhaps the eastern final on Sunday November 19.
    Just a clarification - they can only host one of these games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

I thought the NFL had a rule your stadium had to be seat at least 60k?

Or is this just a temporary situation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I thought the NFL had a rule your stadium had to be seat at least 60k?

Or is this just a temporary situation?
    It's temporary. They are moving into the new stadium being built that is owned by the LA Rams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 105 View Post
    It's temporary. They are moving into the new stadium being built that is owned by the LA Rams.
    I see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos and CFL knew one of endzones will be field turf before they agreed to come to BMO field. So they have no one to blame but themselves here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InDa_110 View Post
    So the good news is that between the Argos and TFC nobody is on the field until Saturday September 9. This means the field has 2 weeks for repairs to develop strong roots.

Neither TFC, or the Argos, but, Canada vs Jamaica tomorrow!!! Supporters sections sold out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could we see temporary seats for the playoffs? When the Argos finish could they also be in the north end? We can easily get 35k fans for playoff games

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    Neither TFC, or the Argos, but, Canada vs Jamaica tomorrow!!! Supporters sections sold out.
    I'll be there and have time to check the pitch since the gridiron has been on. Don't expect too much damage but we'll see.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me that there are a whole lot of safety concerns associated with american football that should be addressed. The transistion between sufaces should probably be low on the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Argos and CFL knew one of endzones will be field turf before they agreed to come to BMO field. So they have no one to blame but themselves here.
    I guess they also don't like being unable to practice there? (this is from a few weeks ago).
    http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/01...ter-loss-to-bc
    ... how problematic the site has become, the facility cowering to the whims and petty behaviour of the soccer culture and the precious grass surface.
    Every game for the Argos is an away game because their only access to BMO is on game day.
    Since their practices apparently wander around to various places -- York University, Downsview, Don Bosco, Ontario Soccer Centre -- I assume they don't have their own permanent practice facility? I still think it's very unlikely to happen any time soon, given all the money they recently spent to expand BMO Field while probably continuing to lose millions a year to own the Argos, but maybe Bell/Tanenbaum might eventually consider a permanent Argos facility for games and practices with an artificial turf field and a more appropriately-sized stand of about 6 to 8000 seats that would at least look closer to being full.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enterprise Captain View Post
    ... The unofficial number for season ticket holders that keeps popping up is 3500-4000.