Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Has anyone seen if they have the grow lights on yet? They'll need to get it growing early for an early and busy year.
    They're using last season's pitch? I thought they would change it every season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    They wouldn't have enough time to do that this year and have it settle before the team starts playing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Has anyone seen if they have the grow lights on yet? They'll need to get it growing early for an early and busy year.

I not sure, I have not seen the ominous glow in the fog this year. I would figure they would have to be preparing for that by the end of the month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I'd be terrified to stand on THAT!

yep. russia...2018 world cup at its best.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    It lasts for 3-5 depending on use. We were due to switch it out the year the Argos arrived anyway.

We prolly won't use it for as long as that since the double use.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    It lasts for 3-5 depending on use. We were due to switch it out the year the Argos arrived anyway.

We prolly won't use it for as long as that since the double use.
    It's our treble pitch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they need to get 40 000 for the world cup, renovate the west stand. Add luxury suites, restaurants and high end amenities, new press box and an additional 3-5000 seats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    If they need to get 40 000 for the world cup, renovate the west stand. Add luxury suites, restaurants and high end amenities, new press box and an additional 3-5000 seats.
    It's possible this will happen irregardless of us getting included in the World Cup bid but I think that's a massive long shot at this point. We're the only City that could provide a stadium that meets FIFA standards, so I'd doubt they'd just throw this city a bone while playing the rest of it in Mexico and the U.S.

No way Vancouver, Montreal or anyone else will be able to meet the required standards for FIFA. Means it's Very, very unlikely we get included in the final bid.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tory has already talked about upgrades to BMO for the World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And Politicians have never gotten ahead of themselves. I think the upgrades will be done either way, but they very likely won't be specifically for the World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He mentioned temp stands...you know what I say to that? NO THANKS!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    And Politicians have never gotten ahead of themselves. I think the upgrades will be done either way, but they very likely won't be specifically for the World Cup.
    With Fed & Provincial money possibly involved? I've also looked at the reports of Tory's statements - doesn't use the word temporary. MLSE will find a way to massage this into a reno to take the capacity to 40K permanent. Look at the city bid supporting documents - Manning & the Ex chair. They know something could happen because of this, building wise.

As for other stadiums, Vancouver & Edmonton both currently meet the standards (they will rip up the carpet to put in grass). The bid includes Canada. No way they exclude us after the bid is accepted. ESPECIALLY with Victor M on the exec of FIFA.

Baring a weird confluence of anti-Trump stuff & stupidity, this is happening.

What it means for the grass is even if the Argos became wildly more successful then TFC, the grass stays until 2027.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-27-2018 at 07:30 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Fed & Provincial money possibly involved? I've also looked at the reports of Tory's statements - doesn't use the word temporary. MLSE will find a way to massage this into a reno to take the capacity to 40K permanent. Look at the city bid supporting documents - Manning & the Ex chair. They know something could happen because of this, building wise.

As for other stadiums, Vancouver & Edmonton both currently meet the standards (they will rip up the carpet to put in grass). The bid includes Canada. No way they exclude us after the bid is accepted. ESPECIALLY with Victor M on the exec of FIFA.

What it means for the grass is even if the Argos became wildly more successful then TFC, the grass stays until 2027.
    Pretty confident.

I think the only confidence I have in this bid is the inclusion of Canada in it. It's the only unprecedented part of the bid.

That said, I doubt the majority of supporters will want this bid travel wise. Those that could afford it would rather zip around Monaco.

But hey, I won't turn it away from hogtown.

Even if it means they further Franken-BMO. They'll keep the pitch pristine as possible with the world watching.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 01-27-2018 at 01:01 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First point: totally agreed on. Every word. We'll almost definitly have a north stand and a 40k capacity by 2026 regardless of what happens with the bid.

I entirely disagree with your second point though. The Stadium requirements Start at grass and necessary capacity. There's also a massive book filled with detailed, intricate and very specific requirements that need to be met on top of that. Parking, amenities, ample Public transit, specific distance between and location of the locker rooms, size of the seats to the cm, the size, location, functionality and even the catering in the fucking press box. It's a massive list that has made even Brazil, Italiy and Germany spend billions and billions of dollars fitting their stadiums to the very specific requirements.

They would have to gut Edmonton and Vancouver's stadiums. Are we sure our government - one that has been pretty good frankly on not wasting taxpayer dollars on sports stadiums the way they do in the states - is willing to spend billions of dollars to host at most 8-10 games, none of them past the round of 16? I'm not at all sold on that tbh. I need proof that they're willing to waste that much money on such a grand scale.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are not rebuilding or retooling any stadiums in the US, Canada or Mexico. That's the point of this particular bid. FIFA knows this. The Blatter era in this regard is over.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they'd need a fairly significant renovation.
    New locker rooms. Media facilities, luxury boxes. BMO is still fairly bare bones as a stadium.
    Just think of the possible US venues. I'd assume they'd be playing in the new LA stadium, maybe Atlanta, Dallas.
    By MLS standards BMO is great. Soccer specific, downtown/central, outdoors, grass, etc. But for the biggest sporting event in the world, currently it falls a bit short
    We'l host. But we'll get a significant reno.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, I thought they would add seats on the new north end bleachers..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah ... I didn't realize the lights could work through the tarp. That's cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got off at Exhibition today on my way back from work, noticed the grow lights were on at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Got off at Exhibition today on my way back from work, noticed the grow lights were on at BMO.

You snuck in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, the blurry black strip on the left is the gate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Manning was asked about the flow of people exiting the game and the traffic that ensues , especially around the GO Train tunnel, he talked about how the City was looking at improving that. I came across this the other day, and it looks iike they are only in the planning stages but they are indeed considering putting in other tunnels (including a nwe street, new streetcar tracks, etc..).

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-112265.pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    When Manning was asked about the flow of people exiting the game and the traffic that ensues , especially around the GO Train tunnel, he talked about how the City was looking at improving that. I came across this the other day, and it looks iike they are only in the planning stages but they are indeed considering putting in other tunnels (including a nwe street, new streetcar tracks, etc..).

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-112265.pdf
    Wow that would be great. It's a nightmare getting through that tunnel now. Let's hope the city considers capacity if BMO is upgraded to 40,000 seats or so. Foresight hasn't been their best trait, as we can see from the tunnel we now have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of, what exactly was the point of that construction on the north side a few years back. It looked like they were expanding the go station but it's still fenced off??

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second tunnel off of Jefferson Ave will be nice but this is years from now - think 2026 World Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second tunnel off of Jefferson Ave will be nice but this is years from now - think 2026 World Cup.
    I would expect it to come along with the SmartTrack stations. Which is supposed to be 2022?

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is an option of going up Dufferin but that only helps if you're not trying to get Westbound on the GO.
    If you're going to Liberty Village, it's about 5 min more of a walk.
    If you're going to Joe's, it's about even.

We take the train Westbound, but we hang out around the stadium for a bit and then walk through when it is less congested. In the summer, this usually means an ice cream to celebrate the win.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I would expect it to come along with the SmartTrack stations. Which is supposed to be 2022?

Transit planning is way behind on everything - World Cup though is a good excuse to actually do something.

I still think they reno the north end for the World Cup & this gets tied into it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Transit planning is way behind on everything - World Cup though is a good excuse to actually do something.

I still think they reno the north end for the World Cup & this gets tied into it.
    Well there certainly is a question of whether the City and Metrolinx can build a 20 metre tunnel in under 8 years. I'm probably not being realistic to say 2022.