Page 1 of 44 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BMO Field Pitch thread

This is a new thread to discuss pitch sharing issues only with respect to grass, markings on the field, etc. This includes any issues with respect to sharing with CFL, lacrosse, rugby, various other types of gridiron, soccer uses oustide of MLS, etc.

No discussions of other sports, their attendance, etc. is to be covered in this thread. Instead discuss those in the "All Sports Talk" sections. Any trolling or off-topic posts will be deleted.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 10-18-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, that basically leaves this thread open to the grounds crew.

Because there's precious few reading this forum who ever get anywhere close enough to the pitch to make a qualified statement one way or the other.

I think it looks simply fabulous, with the pristine green and white blending harmoniously with the brilliant red of the seats. Like a Christmas card. Here's a lovely picture to show how well everything is working.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I can tell only the grounds crew is qualified to discuss the pitch and how it's holding up, so all I can really say is at least the sky is blue, hopefully.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Is that actually a pic from the last game?

I don't get the text.

You can see wear along the hash marks. Nothing to raise most peoples ire. Most.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    As far as I can tell only the grounds crew is qualified to discuss the pitch and how it's holding up, so all I can really say is at least the sky is blue, hopefully.
    Really. Most people can use their eyes and judgement. See the Dallas highlights from Sunday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Really. Most people can use their eyes and judgement. See the Dallas highlights from Sunday.
    Well the next real test will be the Grey Cup, where I will personally get down on my hands and knees to inespect for even a single divot, maybe even a dash of blue paint, you never know when what affect grass may have on you.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 10-18-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    ^^Is that actually a pic from the last game?

I don't get the text.

You can see wear along the hash marks. Nothing to raise most peoples ire. Most.
    Yes. It was taken from the press box by Rod Pedersen, the Roughies play-by-play caller and a man who is one of the greatest advocates and friends the CFL has ever had. If I quoted his blog and what he had to say about the Argos and where they should play - loudly echoing his comments for years now - I'd get hammered for violating the guidelines posted above.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The multiuse publicly funded stadium is working as advertised.

Really surprised that the lines are not visible. The "hose video" from a while back left me doubting.

Grass is repaired and the scheduling is working. Really like the investment in the back up pitch as well. Keep it up.

Sorry MLSE, I was wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the crew has done a great job so far.yes we have been lucky with the rain,,did you see the chunks of grass coming off at saputo sunday.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Well the next real text will be the Grey Cup, where I will personally get down on my hands and knees to inespect for even a single divot, maybe even a dash of blue paint, you never know when what affect grass may have on you.
    Can't wait to hear you've been on the news for it.

The effect is predictable if you're for "the reds and the eleven men on the pitch" or for any team in Toronto playing.

It looks as if the pitch should be fine for Chicago this Sun. Seems like the almost constant rain is pretty light.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then there's nothing more to be said about the issue. We've covered it thoroughly and nothing is ever going to change.

Everything about how things have worked out at BMO Field this year is absolutely wonderful. Given BMO Field's extraordinary light use outside of soccer - both on the pitch and all other areas of the stadium, it's safe to say our concerns were misplaced.

I'd close this thread now and let's get on with planning our Christmas shopping.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Then there's nothing more to be said about the issue. We've covered it thoroughly and nothing is ever going to change.

Everything about how things have worked out at BMO Field this year is absolutely wonderful. Given BMO Field's extraordinary light use outside of soccer - both on the pitch and all other areas of the stadium, it's safe to say our concerns were misplaced.

I'd close this thread now and let's get on with planning our Christmas shopping.
    Misplaced this year. The stadium intends to be in use next year. I doubt the weather will remain the same and thereby the conditions of the pitch may change as well. It's still a concern.

As much to me as my Christmas shopping.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The field is an ongoing issue and requires vigilance in monitoring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argos reduced the price of Grey Cup tickets. Is this the right thread to bring that up? (Ducks).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Argos reduced the price of Grey Cup tickets. Is this the right thread to bring that up? (Ducks).
    Ouch, will people who already purchased tickets get partial-refunds? I predict a lot of angry folk...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Ouch, will people who already purchased tickets get partial-refunds? I predict a lot of angry folk...
    People are rightly angry. No refunds but apparently they will be able to "upgrade" their tickets. Not sure what that will entail.

Anyways, we talking grass in here yo.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, looks like no Argos home playoff date.
    Can the grey cup affect our playoffs?
    Will the no logos/ads rule on field carry thru to grey cup if we are still playing games?
    If not this thread could go into hibernation til next season.
    Grass held up better than expected this year but we did benefit from ideal weather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    People are rightly angry. No refunds but apparently they will be able to "upgrade" their tickets. Not sure what that will entail.
    Reading one of the supporter boards, people are... well, not apoplectic, but *very* unhappy with the way this is going down. They're finding out in the media before emails were sent out. Not all the seats are getting upgrades, but $50 off 2017 Season Tickets seems to be the standard. I'm having flashbacks to Anselmi-era TFC.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Oh yeah? A LOT of angry folk you say?

Visual evidence to the contrary says it might merely be an unhappy few:

Still and all, just look at the quality of that pitch. Thing o' beauty and then some.

It's so good that I'm beginning to wonder if the effects of soccer at BMO Field are beginning to have deleterious effects on the quality of CFL play there.

Is that even possible?
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 10-18-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Well, looks like no Argos home playoff date.
    Can the grey cup affect our playoffs?
    Will the no logos/ads rule on field carry thru to grey cup if we are still playing games?
    If not this thread could go into hibernation til next season.
    Grass held up better than expected this year but we did benefit from ideal weather.
    The MLS has already adjusted the schedule to accommodate the grey cup in case we make it to the conference final. If things continue the way they have all season I can't see where there would be any issue with the pitch. I have been very pleased with how it held up and will admit I was wrong this season. Next year we can open the debate once more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now, Sunday is supposed to be sunny with no rain.

If on Sunday we had a full belter like we had last season a few times, any game on Wednesday or Thursday might have issues. This is the last possible 2 home games in 3-4 days thing this season. We've gotten away with a lot of quick turnarounds.

The winter will bring its own issues but with BMO now having the ability to use infestation remedies (pesticide) we shouldn't see the issues we had in 2014.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-19-2016 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    The MLS has already adjusted the schedule to accommodate the grey cup in case we make it to the conference final. If things continue the way they have all season I can't see where there would be any issue with the pitch. I have been very pleased with how it held up and will admit I was wrong this season. Next year we can open the debate once more.
    If your expectation is that the pitch at BMO Field will never again be substandard, you're probably going to be disappointed one day.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    If your expectation is that the pitch at BMO Field will never again be substandard, you're probably going to be disappointed one day.
    I think most of the convo that day will surround WHY that day it's substandard. There have been terrible pitch days before this groundshare.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is nice weve made it this far with condensed schedules without issue. However, the first time we get the tail end of a category 3 next fall, that will be enough to juke this threads stats significantly.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 10-19-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    It is nice weve made it this far with concenced schedules without issue. However, the first time we get the tail end of a catergory 3 next fall, that will be enough to juke this threads stats significantly.
    Like I said...

If your expectation is that the grass at BMO Field will forever be near-perfect, then that standard won't be met at some point.

I'm OK with that. It's better than the alternative, which is giving up on grass and just going to plastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No complaints at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this thread open just for those who really want to spite Leiweke and hold a grudge that a stadium is shared? Are there still some just waiting for the day that a blade of grass is bent the wrong way or you still see a small hiccup of a paint mark that shouldn't be on the field so we can "prove them wrong"??

Imagine an outsider that doesn't care so much about soccer or football. They see this thread and say "these people are arguing about grass"?

The stadium is shared. The grass survived as we were reassured it would. Let's move on with our lives. We still have several games left to win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Is this thread open just for those who really want to spite Leiweke and hold a grudge that a stadium is shared? Are there still some just waiting for the day that a blade of grass is bent the wrong way or you still see a small hiccup of a paint mark that shouldn't be on the field so we can "prove them wrong"??

Imagine an outsider that doesn't care so much about soccer or football. They see this thread and say "these people are arguing about grass"?

The stadium is shared. The grass survived as we were reassured it would. Let's move on with our lives. We still have several games left to win.
    1) Yes. People are waiting for a torrential rain storm. They're desperate to complain. Their expectation is eternal perfection.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    1) Yes. People are waiting for a torrential rain storm. They're desperate to complain. Their expectation is eternal perfection.
    There is a legitimate concern whether the best solution has been chosen. I still go for hybrid, I think it's cost (you have to replace whole sections instead of divots) that made the choice easy for MLSE.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    There is a legitimate concern whether the best solution has been chosen. I still go for hybrid, I think it's cost (you have to replace whole sections instead of divots) that made the choice easy for MLSE.
    I've reported on this many times. There's a good reason hybrid wasn't chosen. You CAN'T easily replace it. You have to use seed and grow. The ability to replace whole sections quickly is why they decided NOT to use a hybrid.

In my earlier reports, I was also told that if the natural surface WASN'T a success this year, they were open to moving to a hybrid next year.

The "cost" argument doesn't really make sense when you consider MLSE spared no expense with grow lights etc. With what has transpired through the previous three years, I'm not sure how you can hypothesize that MLSE is cutting corners.