Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless we learn that Giovinco's injury was pitch related.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    OR go into the thread to give props to those that invested and put that roof in. And to those that worked all year to deliver on a promise and who delivered not only a great tweet but 2 great marquee games within 3 days of each other.

You've got to think some may even read this thread. Might be nice to let people know when they do a good job instead of looking over their shoulder hoping they screw up.

Just saying
    Have I at ANY time suggested I'm hoping they screw up?

Pah...

IIRC, that was lots of sustained rain during a game for the first time this season. Admittedly after 3 days and little recovery time from the Grey Cup.

Something to watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Bullshit. The pitch played just like a normal pitch would when rainy. You're just picking nits at this point.
    Are you calling what I saw Hagglund do with my own eyes bullshit?

Oooooookkkkkkkkk

Yes, I of course didn't notice anything and should just shut the eff up about WHAT I SAW WITH MY OWN EYES because...you know...support the guys.

Geez, some people on here are REALLY tense about criticism of the field. Get over it. It wasn't freaking perfect. It was damn good for the time involved.

BUT, that field suffered from the sustained rain and I for one will keep that in my head for the future if we get the rain monsoons that we got in 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have the best groundskeeping crew in the business. What they pulled off this week is unprecedented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Well, it went from this...

To this !!! Really have to commend the BMO Grounds Crew for their amazing work on such a short time frame.

Why do players have to stand right on the side line in football, they probably block the view for hundreds of people in the lower seats near the front as well. Can't they stand further back or sit on benches like in all other sports. But otherwise yes the grass looked pretty good last night, best grass crew around. Other stadiums that share with multi use stadiums could view this to maybe invest (wembley, Seattle, Vancouver, Dallas perhaps?)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Have I at ANY time suggested I'm hoping they screw up?

Pah...

IIRC, that was lots of sustained rain during a game for the first time this season. Admittedly after 3 days and little recovery time from the Grey Cup.

Something to watch.
    I don't really share your concerns at this point, but they are certainly 100% reasonable ones.

What we need, is for folks to stop with snark like "Can we end this now?" in the grass thread, or "Do we still want to fire him?" in the Vanney thread, every time the pitch is aces, or Vanney is doing a great job. It just provokes an indignant reaction from the people who once thought so, and adds nothing.

This is just about the silliest time ever, to be haggling over whether someone is being positive enough about the condition of the pitch.

Oh, and if the grounds crew do read this? You guys are heroes, for how well you've taken care of that pitch. And not just the turnaround from the Grey Cup, which was an amazing feat, but the entire season. You're a model for shared-stadium crews all over the world. Thank you.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OR go into the thread to give props to those that invested and put that roof in. And to those that worked all year to deliver on a promise and who delivered not only a great tweet but 2 great marquee games within 3 days of each other.

You've got to think some may even read this thread. Might be nice to let people know when they do a good job instead of looking over their shoulder hoping they screw up.

Just saying
    I don't see what the roof or expansion have to do with it but I agree with your sentiments of congratulations on a stellar groundshare year. Regardless of the best possible weather conditions they got lines off the pitch for us and the teams, leagues reputation and should be proud.

As mentioned above we should all be hoping for the best.

The thread is here only to show we want that best to continue.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I don't see what the roof or expansion have to do with it ...
    Not trying to derail this at all, just answering you.

Roof and upper deck were Leiweke's vision for an expanded BMO that could host outdoor hockey, Grey Cups and big TFC games. Like any business, revenues have to offset expenses and therefore the necessity of the groundshare. And they invested in that back up pitch, technology and a great grounds crew to ensure it had the best chance to succeed.

Basically, without groundshare, the politics and economics of expansion would have been difficult.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the game the field looked pristine and considering what it had been through 3 days prior I was impressed.

Last night I re-watched the game on the PVR. On the tv you could see the wear and tear signs. The cfl sideline was very visible and sections through the middle appeared brown. In person I didn't see any of this. I think we were very lucky. With a little rain during the game Sunday a lot more damage could have been done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wanna applause the grounds crew. What a great job!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure where to park this piece of recent news. But here sees like as good a place as any, even though FieldTurf may no longer be the concern it once was for us.

The Most Damning Report On Artificial Turf You Might Ever Read

"Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    I just wanna applause the grounds crew. What a great job!!!

These are the lads! They have their own twitter account and rightfully so! Respect!

https://twitter.com/tfc_groundsdept/...62747546914816

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    Not sure where to park this piece of recent news. But here sees like as good a place as any, even though FieldTurf may no longer be the concern it once was for us.

Interesting. You could see it with your own eyes, that field looked worn out a few months after it was installed. (All those black pellets stopped "dancing")

Of course fieldturf was 5x as good as whatever that was that we played on in Montreal
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not trying to derail this at all, just answering you.

Roof and upper deck were Leiweke's vision for an expanded BMO that could host outdoor hockey, Grey Cups and big TFC games. Like any business, revenues have to offset expenses and therefore the necessity of the groundshare. And they invested in that back up pitch, technology and a great grounds crew to ensure it had the best chance to succeed.

Basically, without groundshare, the politics and economics of expansion would have been difficult.
    But nowhere near impossible. They were doing it already before the expansion and roof. We've discussed this and you're right it's a derail. You answered my question.

Back to the pitch.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder if the field conditions had any impact on the game Saturday. Was anyone close enough to get a good look? I heard the grey cup did a number on it and there was a lot of dirt painted green.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was one area that looked worn about 20 feet to the west and south of the centre spot.

Bradley tamped it down during warmups.

Apart from that, given the weather, pretty good.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post

Really interesting. My oldest kid played rep and select on a huge variety of surfaces, and Fieldturf was really uncomfortable for him.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Unless we learn that Giovinco's injury was pitch related.
    Well there were some quotes today from Giovinco RE the pitch conditions towards the end of the season, and possible impact of the Argos groundshare. I don't know the details yet; there will be more in the articles about all the interviews today.

So in the meantime I'm in this thread all like
    Last edited by Auzzy; 12-13-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swore to avoid the forum for a bit, as the final was so hard to take I had to get away from it. But then I read Giovinco's comments and had to check back in....Wow. That's going to be inflammatory....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I swore to avoid the forum for a bit, as the final was so hard to take I had to get away from it. But then I read Giovinco's comments and had to check back in....Wow. That's going to be inflammatory....
    Altidore just addressed the exact same thing. Seems the players all took notice.

This will add some serious fuel to the fire... and maybe it should

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nothing is going to change in the near future ,we going to have to live with that.unless they put turf on tiles for argo games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh this can of worms are about to open up again!
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is very interesting, because as many have said, "we ain't seen nothing yet." A normal Toronto year will likely have some downpours during CFL & TFC games. Remember in previous seasons, before the roof, where you always knew what game day was, because that's when it would be raining? The weather this year was very unusual.

Also a pitch replaced completely during the middle of the season, even if it's thick cut, will feel & play quite differently. Plus the potential for twisted ankles at the seams. That's their current backup plan.

Of course we've had other years where the pitch was crap w/o CFL, and w/o some of the special gear (fancy tarp & grow lights) that they have now. Twice we had brutal winters that affected the pitch for a couple of months at the beginning of the season. And when they put down the grass at first (after converting from plastic), they used the wrong substrate so it wouldn't drain. (Reason for the ponding during the VC game against Vancouver, which had to be replayed.) How were those problems different from what we had this year...?

I'm sure everyone will have a ready answer to the above, depending on their view of the groundshare...

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't help but think that the heavy rain during the Montreal match may have worsened the field. But I defer to the experts being the players. If they cite this as a concern, then it is and MLSE should be fixing it.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    This is very interesting, because as many have said, "we ain't seen nothing yet." A normal Toronto year will likely have some downpours during CFL & TFC games. Remember in previous seasons, before the roof, where you always knew what game day was, because that's when it would be raining? The weather this year was very unusual.

Also a pitch replaced completely during the middle of the season, even if it's thick cut, will feel & play quite differently. Plus the potential for twisted ankles at the seams. That's their current backup plan.

Of course we've had other years where the pitch was crap w/o CFL, and w/o some of the special gear (fancy tarp & grow lights) that they have now. Twice we had brutal winters that affected the pitch for a couple of months at the beginning of the season. And when they put down the grass at first (after converting from plastic), they used the wrong substrate so it wouldn't drain. (Reason for the ponding during the VC game against Vancouver, which had to be replayed.) How were those problems different from what we had this year...?

I'm sure everyone will have a ready answer to the above, depending on their view of the groundshare...
    we haven't had a march/april game in two years, thats a greater threat to moving back to a plastic pitch, than 10 football games. field conditions have been brutal for those games in past, defoe year being the worst IIRC.
    Last edited by Onyx; 12-13-2016 at 12:07 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    we haven't had a march/april game in two years, thats a greater threat to moving back to a plastic pitch, than 10 football games. field conditions have been brutal for those games in past, defoe year being the worst IIRC
    Yes that's what I was thinking of. That was one of the years with the really bad winters. Now we have a proper winter tarp, permission to use pesticides/ fungicides in extreme conditions; and grow lights. That should all help.

The players will have played on slightly muddy or loose fields before. This sounds different. They said the field was "heavy." Maybe making the grass extra-strong (for CFL) has some unusual side effects. Might have to be some detailed adjustments of the conditions.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I can't help but think that the heavy rain during the Montreal match may have worsened the field. But I defer to the experts being the players. If they cite this as a concern, then it is and MLSE should be fixing it.
    I am sure as the game progressed the field staarted to got harder with the dropping temperature. It was not a comfortable evening to say the least. A lot of credit has to be given to the BMO grounds crew for just being able to make some quick transitions over the last month during TFC's playoff run and the Grey Cup.

I am sure once they can sit down and evaluate this situation changes will be made plus with the Reds being to play at home right out of the gate compared to the extended road trips to start the previous two seasons, it will ease things up.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can someone link me to the comments players have made about this?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    can someone link me to the comments players have made about this?
    It's on Twitter so far; search for #TorontoFC or #TFCLive. But the journalists will all be writing about it soon enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    It's on Twitter so far; search for #TorontoFC or #TFCLive. But the journalists will all be writing about it soon enough.
    word up, thanks buddy!