Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    "...aren't pissin' away money...".

Ha ha ha. That's great.

But they already are. Is there a point where all this pissin' away might have a deleterious effect on the playing surface, in terms of budget cutbacks for field maintenance?
    Hosting a grey cup is a profitable season no matter how dire things go, usually at least. You're also thinking too short, this wasn't a one year plan based on the work they've put in for Argos, which is my point.

As for the playing surface? It's held up all season and I see day to day how much goes into caring for it. So the opposite is happening, they have put more into the field than ever before. No cutbacks to the field are on anyone's radar at MLSE.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite honestly the Reds will be playing on a much better pitch by a 100 miles next Wednesday at BMO Field compared to what they will have to contend with tomorrow night at the Big O, a truly crappy piece of concrete carpet.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    oh it's all fine. Pookie said so, never rains nor snows in old T.O
    Yeah. That's what I said.

Back up pitch, sod options, expert grounds crew, examples of Real Madrid practicing on sod laid that morning, even delaying the game if we had to. Narry a word.

Maybe it's a Toronto "Military needs to shovel our snow" kind of thing but "pitch issues" are worldwide. Complaints about playing surfaces go all the way up through high profile UEFA games. Yet, the games either go on or are postponed.

I've never seen a championship game postponed indefinitely for playing surface issues. Sorry folks. No UEFA Championship game this year. It rained and last week, there was rugby game and we cannot for the life of us figure out a way to make the game happen at any point in the future.

Should we pause the game if a slide tackle brings up a "divot" and repair it on the spot on the chance that it affects play?

This topic reminds me of golfers in North America that complain about non-perfect playing conditions. Well Mr Snodgrass, why did you miss that putt? Standard grass blades are to be cut at 1/8th of an inch Brandel, and clearly there was one that was cut at 1/6th. I will be writing an angry letter.

Get dirty. Slog it out if you have to. Both teams are playing on it.
    Last edited by Pookie; 11-22-2016 at 09:19 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Yeah. That's what I said.

Back up pitch, sod options, expert grounds crew, examples of Real Madrid practicing on sod laid that morning, even delaying the game if we had to. Narry a word.

Maybe it's a Toronto "Military needs to shovel our snow" kind of thing but "pitch issues" are worldwide. Complaints about playing surfaces go all the way up through high profile UEFA games. Yet, the games either go on or are postponed.

I've never seen a championship game postponed indefinitely for playing surface issues. Sorry folks. No UEFA Championship game this year. It rained and last week, there was rugby game and we cannot for the life of us figure out a way to make the game happen at any point in the future.

Should we pause the game if a slide tackle brings up a "divot" and repair it on the spot on the chance that it affects play?

This topic reminds me of golfers in North America that complain about non-perfect playing conditions. Well Mr Snodgrass, why did you miss that putt? Standard grass blades are to be cut at 1/8th of an inch Brandel, and clearly there was one that was cut at 1/6th. I will be writing an angry letter.

Get dirty. Slog it out if you have to. Both teams are playing on it.
    Welcome back to this thread you see no use for.

I take no issue with your "It's no that bad" stance except for the repeated Real Madrid reference as a positive one. That sod was real, yes, but it was no example of professionalism.

And look at the turf talk today at the Big O.

But if nobody thinks it an issue the thread will just go away.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat;
    Welcome back to this thread you see no use for.

I take no issue with your "It's no that bad" stance except for the repeated Real Madrid reference as a positive one. That sod was real, yes, but it was no example of professionalism.

And look at the turf talk today at the Big O.

But if nobody thinks it an issue the thread will just go away.
    I agree with Pete here, the grass at BMO could become an issue really quick over the next week. This is going to be its first real test with only two days between the Grey Cup and the Reds second leg. We just have to pray the weather holds up.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 11-22-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I agree with Pete here, the grass at BMO could become an issue really quick over the next week. This is going to be its first real test with only two days between the Grey Cup and the Reds second leg. We just have to pray the weather holds up.
    more worried about massive rain storm right before gameday on tuesday than grey cup impacting the pitch (9degrees and sunny)

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    But again, what's the goal? A game played on a great surface?

If that is the case and the worst case scenario happens, what do they do? If they can't fix it in time, they postpone it till they can. So Wednesday becomes Thursday or Friday.

Eventually, the game gets played on the surface expected.

I don't see where the sky is falling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that is the case and the worst case scenario happens, what do they do? If they can't fix it in time, they postpone it till they can. So Wednesday becomes Thursday or Friday.

Postponing a match really would be sky is falling territory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall it's just a shame that they (i.e. venue, team owners, league, tv networks, whoever), didn't foresee the issue of having the Grey Cup and potential TFC game just a mere few days later in late November. Or, they full well knew the possibility and just didn't care.

It'll be a great shame to see worn down unnecessary brown spots all over the place. I thought the field looked fantastic for our home match over 3 weeks ago against NYCFC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Postponing a match really would be sky is falling territory.
    And how likely is either (postponing or sky falling)?

But if the rare thing happens, it happens in UEFA so I'm sure MLS could survive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And how likely is either (postponing or sky falling)?

But if the rare thing happens, it happens in UEFA so I'm sure MLS could survive
    This is still TFC. I don't even want to answer the question of the likelihood of sky is falling events actually happening....

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    This is still TFC. I don't even want to answer the question of the likelihood of sky is falling events actually happening....
    Touché

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahahaha

ok Pook. I think you've jumped the shark on this. There's nowhere to go here but posting "It's just a game".

I'm not saying the sky falls but are you saying thousands of peoples paid plans changing last minute wouldn't cause a stir at the worst possible time in our history??
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 11-22-2016 at 03:39 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Hahahaha

ok Pook. I think you've jumped the shark on this. There's nowhere to go here but posting "It's just a game".

I'm not saying the sky falls but are you saying thousands of peoples paid plans changing last minute wouldn't cause a stir at the worst possible time in our history??
    UEFA games have never been postponed?

Tens of thousands of people's paid plans have changed before and will change again.

I don't even think it's likely. Highly unlikely in fact... which is what is meant by the phrase "worst case scenario."

I think, as I have said before, it has been and will be fine.

I know that some are going to want to run out there and repair divots mid game but i don't relate. I clear my own driveway I guess. I golf on municipal courses.
    Last edited by Pookie; 11-22-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's hope it works out but it's going to be tricky it's too bad that after all these years of crap, now that we have these two great games played in front of two big crowds, in both games the field might be an issue.
    Last edited by SoccMan2; 11-22-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note to the Toronto groundscrew...

Take out the tape measure and double check the location of the lines...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.....and we were worried about our pitch issues.....

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Nah, duct tape is the Canadian way. You can even get that shit in green these days. Or maybe green painters tape?
    You were on to something Auzzy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics going around the internet of Seattle measuring EVERYTHING.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow Montreal.....and y'all worried about the grass with our grounds crew?.....pfft, pitch please.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys just about to lace up my rollerblades, grab my measuring tape and head down to BMO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    Guys just about to lace up my rollerblades, grab my measuring tape and head down to BMO.
    haha
    awesome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    you'll be in for a shock if you go down there today - lines everywhere

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are going to find out about the drainage now. It is going to rain for most of the next 7 days.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our grounds crew are superb, the pitch start of the art, and hopefully the weather this weekend will cooperate. Would be a shame otherwise.

none of this solves the bigger problem that normal summer weather in Toronto includes rain and thunderstorms, and CFL games tear up grass so badly the entire league plays on turf. When there is a CFL game after rain, which will be a normal and regular occurrence, it's likely that there will be issues. But that's a worry for next year, this year I am going to enjoy the ride
    Last edited by MightyDM; 11-23-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: unfortunate typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it would be possible for it to look as bad as Varsity Stadium on Nov. 15, 2000 for a Canada-Mexico WCQ game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWXo8lvUio
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    ... As for New England, I'm not sure Bob Kraft even knows he owns a MLS team, let alone where or what they play on.
    That stadium did have grass until it got churned to mud by two NFL games in November 2006, and it was replaced by FieldTurf before the next Patriots home game.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2661830
    http://archive.boston.com/sports/art...er_their_turf/
    Last edited by Heepster; 11-23-2016 at 07:46 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We are going to find out about the drainage now. It is going to rain for most of the next 7 days.
    I wouldn't be worried about rain, Thermal cover is on,and UV lights too.

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heepster View Post
    I don't think it would be possible for it to look as bad as Varsity Stadium on Nov. 15, 2000 for a Canada-Mexico WCQ game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xWXo8lvUioThat stadium did have grass until it got churned to mud by two NFL games in November 2006, and it was replaced by FieldTurf before the next Patriots home game.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2661830
    http://archive.boston.com/sports/art...er_their_turf/

No no that's not possible. This years weather and lack of damage by the CFL at BMO proves that these events never happened and never could happen. There is no rain in Toronto in the summer, there are no thunderstorms ever, and CFL and NFL teams do not damage grass. We know this because all CFL teams use grass pitches and so do the NFL. In fact New England changed from turf to grass for exactly this reason, according to commentators on this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like they are applying paint... https://www.instagram.com/p/BNLgGWCgMfU/

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    Looks like they are applying paint... https://www.instagram.com/p/BNLgGWCgMfU/
    A broken promise. There had better been no remnants come game day.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto