Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MatchDay 31 - The Lions Better Sleep Tonight - Orlando @ TFC Wed Sept 28 7:30 pm

Have at it People

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I'm going to say something:

Win

Just freaking win.

I don't care about how this team has achieved x and is in y position. I'm tired of people involved in this team talking about how the goal is more then the playoffs. Stop taking airs. Win damn it. We've had 3 home games in a row with high expectations and have come away with 2 points. That's not good enough.

I don't care how good this defence has been. I don't care about how good the offence has been, how Vanney is doing, how much we are better then last season.

Stow the Supporter's Shield talk. Stop it with the "we are aiming for more" talk.

Win this freaking game.

Then, and only then, lets talk about what happens in the next game.

Orlando is very beatable at our home. But until we actually do it, none of this talk of anything beyond this game. Win, and then we can talk about what the possibilities are.

Everything else is fantasy.

Time to shut up and put up.

Win.

Nothing else is acceptable.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. I'm fed up with the talk. We were supposed to see wins against these teams, let's see them. Only results matter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I totally agree! Just win.

TFC is putting out too many textbook examples of how teams can beat us in the playoffs, or at least tie us at home. Everybody is watching the tapes, taking notes, getting ready. Need to mix it up, and blow a team away for a change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando can't defend as a team, especially through midfield. We'll win this game easily.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Orlando can't defend as a team, especially through midfield. We'll win this game easily.
    I think that is too overconfident given how bad and flat and disjointed TFC have been playing recently. Larin and Kaka will create good chances.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One thing I noticed against Philly is that, when we play the ball out wide, there is often no one drifting into the hot zone right in the middle, just outside the box. So if they close down on the wing, we have. The option of either trying to beat the defence off the dribble to get inside, trying to get to the line for a cross, or swinging it back out to Bradley or the centre backs at the base of the diamond. Giovinco often drifts into that space and Altidore was doing it a few games ago, but it seemed like there was a consistent void there last night, which limited our options.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about anyone else, but I want us to lift that Supporters Shield this season. Luckily for us, Orlando's defence is shambolic - they are leading the league in Goals Against (57). I'm liking our chances for Wednesday's game, but would rather not see a repeat of the performance from yesterday.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't want to jinx us but I probably will, a win guarantees our first ever home play-off game

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about we get a bunch of Oranges and when the Reds best Orlando on Wednesday night, we throw them up in the air to thank the great state of Florida for our first ever playoff game at home?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I think that is too overconfident given how bad and flat and disjointed TFC have been playing recently. Larin and Kaka will create good chances.
    perhaps. But Orlando is the exact type of team we mop the floor with. If we get our guys back from injury, we'll win by multiple goals

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    How about we get a bunch of Oranges and when the Reds best Orlando on Wednesday night, we throw them up in the air to thank the great state of Florida for our first ever playoff game at home?
    Great idea.
    Or you can take those oranges, and give them to that hundreds of hungry people that live on Toronto streets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we play well, we should crush Orlando. So I hope the team is ready to play well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As was already stated in this post.... Just win. We have to mark Larin close and apply pressure for a full 90. I'm really sick of the flat starts and having to play from behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orlando are fighting for a playoff spot just 3 points below the last spot. I guess we will see who wants this win more on Wednesday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Win this game against shitty Orlando and 2 pts to SS with both TFC and Dallas have 3 games left.

Except... TFC chokes on crunch time and Dallas is more consistent
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... Are we going splits on oranges or not?...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Win this game against shitty Orlando and 2 pts to SS with both TFC and Dallas have 3 games left.

Except... TFC chokes on crunch time and Dallas is more consistent
    except Dallas play the Galaxy twice and a suddenly very hot Sounders team to finish the season, where we would have DC, Mtl and Chicago left.

Certainly possible we make up points on them (1-1-1 Dallas finish and 2-1-0 finish for us assuming we beat Orlando) and if we tied we would have the tie breaker as we would likely tie on wins but have a better goal differential.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming they are all looking at game film and will see what a Philly Union beat reporter saw

Gotta get through this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm assuming they are all looking at game film and will see what a Philly Union beat reporter saw

Gotta get through this.
    2 years running of us getting shut down from the press with no answers yet. Seba will not be the answer alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba for Hamilton and Cooper for Cheyrou and we are a much more dynamic team.

Ricketts off the bench for late game speed as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    2 years running of us getting shut down from the press with no answers yet. Seba will not be the answer alone.
    I don't think that's actually a trend. I can think of multiple games the last two years where we handled the high press pretty well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a busy year for Bendik. Let's keep that up Wednesday.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Yeah those two players will make a big difference. I especially think Cooper in the starting lineup will help our midfield a lot. Too bad he got himself suspended for a game, we need to get him well integrated before the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Maybe we should set up three at the back. We've done really well this year when we've switched to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post

Ricketts off the bench for late game speed as well
    This.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Maybe we should set up three at the back. We've done really well this year when we've switched to it.
    That could work and anyone know the injury status of Ricketts?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I don't think that's actually a trend. I can think of multiple games the last two years where we handled the high press pretty well.
    To beat a press, you need players comfortable with ball possession and not panic when pressed. A lot of NA players just aren't that comfortable with the press, hence why SKC and NYRB can play press and cause high turnover rate esp in opposition half.

We have Cheyrou and Bradley who are comfortable enough on the ball and can deliver accurate long range pass to a winger or forward running the channels. They just don't do this consistently enough. Bradley esp tried to launch longballs over the top to Altidore last game with varying success.

The DMs and defenders have to ID the press and make themselves available for a short pass as an outlet for whoever is being pressed.

The thing about high press is that it commits a lot of players try to cut off all the passing lanes and leaves you open if the ball does get passed to opposite half, leaving your defence exposed.
    It also uses up a lot of energy and tires you out, especially last third of the game. Which was what happened to NYRB, allowing TFC to dictate the tempo of the game and create chances, leaving NYRB to react, instead of trying to press.

It also helps to have a guy who can beat a player 1v1 on the dribble to beat the press and make a pass forward. IE Giovinco and Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I agree, but only when playing a high press team. Vanney pushes up the fullbacks really high on attack to try to create a 2v1 situation which has been very successful. And as much as Bradley's errors are glaring when they do happen, between him and Cheyrou, TFC has been pretty good recycling possession from DMs that allows FBs to push up really high. (see low GPA avg)

But against high press teams, having that 3rd CB gives defenders and DMs another outlet to pass to on the press.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd disagree the DM's have been good a cycling the ball. It's been an issue, with the exception of cheyrou. Bradley, pretty much every time, looks wide left and right and then if that fails goes backwards or tries to play a ball over the top. Dominates the ball far too often. It needs to move faster.

Chapman and Cooper dropping back has been more effective because they see between the lines of the defenders a lot better.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)