Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bez a/k/a "Harry Potter" thread

If Bez has a thread, I couldn't find it.

Long form top of fold profile in G&M sports section today. Gives him too much credit for the DPs (something he seems happy to play up) and not enough for the shrewd signings of the past 18 months.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/spo...ticle36755716/

Also for those wondering where the thread title comes from....

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...analytics.html
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting if a bit overboard article by Cathal. Bez gets too little credit for his part in the "extreme reno" of the team. Thanks for sharing it.

[mod edit, added Bez's name to the thread so people realize what it's actually covering while keeping your point].

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No bad for a "copy boy" , eh?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure any team has ever transformed its non-DP core positions so quickly and effectively.

Beitashour, Moor, Vazquez, Ricketts, Hasler, Delgado, Cooper (last year's version, anyway)... all varying degrees of critical components. Plus he fixed airballs (Kantari, Gomez, Perquis) pretty painlessly.

All without giving up a draft pick, or young assets. Pretty remarkable.

If I were Harry, oops Bez, that's what I would talk about. The DP stuff really isn't him, ex maybe the Altidore/Defoe swap (which I suspect was more the league than TFC, but who knows for sure)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as interesting, I think, is the paean to Michael Bradley in the middle of the piece. Cathal Kelly has always been long on verbiage and short on factual material, but if his facts are correct in the case of The General, I'm even more impressed!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I'm not sure any team has ever transformed its non-DP core positions so quickly and effectively.

Beitashour, Moor, Vazquez, Ricketts, Hasler, Delgado, Cooper (last year's version, anyway)... all varying degrees of critical components. Plus he fixed airballs (Kantari, Gomez, Perquis) pretty painlessly.

All without giving up a draft pick, or young assets. Pretty remarkable.

If I were Harry, oops Bez, that's what I would talk about. The DP stuff really isn't him, ex maybe the Altidore/Defoe swap (which I suspect was more the league than TFC, but who knows for sure)
    I’m ok with him deflecting that stuff. Let him continue to work away from the spotlight and the DPs can make the noise while he builds around them. Why not?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigby View Post
    Just as interesting, I think, is the paean to Michael Bradley in the middle of the piece. Cathal Kelly has always been long on verbiage and short on factual material, but if his facts are correct in the case of The General, I'm even more impressed!
    Yes. This part sounds exactly like Bradley:

Another telling detail: Toronto FC usually flies commercial. The middle-class salarymen sit in coach. The multimillion-dollar designated players are offered first-class tickets. Defoe took advantage of the perk. Bradley sat back in steerage with the rest of the team. Every DP since has followed Bradley's example.”
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy