Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I can see that for some but watching things on my phone just isn't fun.

In my 40's and I've got bifocals now. The idea of watching something on a 5" screen vs my 56" screen is a non starter.
    Umm, we're the same age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see that for some but watching things on my phone just isn't fun.

In my 40's and I've got bifocals now. The idea of watching something on a 5" screen vs my 56" screen is a non starter.
    if u can get it on ur phone, u can get it on tv.

i just shoot it over to chromecast

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    if u can get it on ur phone, u can get it on tv.

i just shoot it over to chromecast
    Why pay for data charges when I can just turn on the tv?

(I know the whole cord cutting debate but I like live sports and I won't get them illegally so that ties me to cable)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why pay for data charges when I can just turn on the tv?

(I know the whole cord cutting debate but I like live sports and I won't get them illegally so that ties me to cable)
    i meant for highlights and sports recap (and im on wifi which is pretty much unlimited with Teksavvy)

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Umm, we're the same age.
    Have you got bifocals too?

I remember the first week I had them. Had to give a presentation on stage at a sales meeting and bloody well tripped up the stairs on the way to the podium.

Can't wait for prostrate complications.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you got bifocals too?

I remember the first week I had them. Had to give a presentation on stage at a sales meeting and bloody well tripped up the stairs on the way to the podium.

Can't wait for prostrate complications.
    Ha. No bifocals but I am pretty much blind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurt's advocacy and TFC's winning ways are starting to bubble to the top - the Globe had a story on the front page of the sports section on TFC today.

Despite leading the East, Toronto FC has ‘a lot more to prove’

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle31626909/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got to give credit to guys like John Molinaro, and Kurtis Larsen for trying to make TFC crediabile here in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Kurt's advocacy and TFC's winning ways are starting to bubble to the top - the Globe had a story on the front page of the sports section on TFC today.

Despite leading the East, Toronto FC has ‘a lot more to prove’

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle31626909/
    That's awesome

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it's been a while but the Reds registered a top 20 rating this past weekend, with 116,000 viewers for the Montreal game. While not great, still a big improvement. Still a little thrown off by be fact it got beat by a bunch of out of market baseball games but hey it is what it is. On the other hand the Jays are the darling with over 1.4M for three straight days vs the lowly Twins.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...224012426.html

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What gets me Baseball is boring and long, While Soccer is two hours top unless something really strange happens. Yet The Anti Soccer crowd still say Soccer is boring. and still. Soccer is always moving while Baseball has many stops. Screw them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    What gets me Baseball is boring and long, While Soccer is two hours top unless something really strange happens. Yet The Anti Soccer crowd still say Soccer is boring. and still. Soccer is always moving while Baseball has many stops. Screw them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like giving face palms to comments but seriously.

Its all perception, just because the outfielders are not moving all the time does not mean there is literally nothing going on. When a pitcher is on the mound there is always something going on.

You find baseball boring, that is ok, but please stop generalizing.

I also wouldn't worry about the Anti-Soccer crowd as its a lost cause, in a sense you are doing the same as them towards Baseball.
    Last edited by Richard; 08-31-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sport Clock Duration Amt of Action % of Action Amt of Commercial Time Est # of 30-second commercials # of commercials/hour
    Baseball 2hrs 56mins 17mins, 58secs 10.21% 42.68 85 29

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baseball is a leisurely sport you can dip in and out of when action occurs.

Gridiron is an event thing where you wait in between things happening - on TV its all about the analysis and the hype.

Bball is kinda the same as you wait for the offence to do something while the clock counts down.

Soccer requires concentration (but the pass it around the back era of the 80's and 90's really wasn't fun to watch much of the time). Its really a much better game to watch at the stadium.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think this is a soccer v baseball or other sport debate. You have to be clear to differentiate between soccer leagues and the teams involved.

The World Cup has no shortage of viewers in Canada. The EPL does really well for its early morning time slots (when a number of Canadians are at hockey rinks).

But MLS is boring to watch and it isn't a top flight league. So it suffers and is somewhat confined to its followers, unable to expand. The "boring" comment you know to be true as we know that hardly anyone will watch the MLS Playoffs if our team isn't involved. And that's true in every MLS city.

And the missing "top flight" moniker hurts it even more when we get into Concacaf ratings. By and large, general public doesn't care.

It's not that soccer is boring or baseball is dull. It's that it's MLB vs MLS. MLB is the big time and MLS isn't. It's mainstream vs fringe. And in the ratings game, mainstream wins. Always.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think this is a soccer v baseball or other sport debate. You have to be clear to differentiate between soccer leagues and the teams involved.

The World Cup has no shortage of viewers in Canada. The EPL does really well for its early morning time slots (when a number of Canadians are at hockey rinks).

But MLS is boring to watch ....
    For the Eurosnob, sure. But they didn't watch Leicster vs Swansea so what do they know.

Look, MLS ain't Barca vs. Real or Spurs vs. Liverpool. But MLS is pretty fast paced and vigorous. Technical qualities? Not so good. Defences? Pretty poor. Attacking? Interesting stuff most of the time.

For sporting enjoyment on TV, I put it up there with mid table Seria A & Bundesliga games and in with the Championship Level England. (But only because I was watching Div 1 English style 30 years ago when it first showed up).

I agree its not mainstream.

BUT, what it does have in the Canadian teams is 3 really really charged groups of supporters who provide a good background to what is going on.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    For the Eurosnob, sure. But they didn't watch Leicster vs Swansea so what do they know.

Look, MLS ain't Barca vs. Real or Spurs vs. Liverpool. But MLS is pretty fast paced and vigorous. Technical qualities? Not so good. Defences? Pretty poor. Attacking? Interesting stuff most of the time.

For sporting enjoyment on TV, I put it up there with mid table Seria A & Bundesliga games and in with the Championship Level England. (But only because I was watching Div 1 English style 30 years ago when it first showed up).

BUT, what it does have in the Canadian teams is 3 really really charged groups of supporters who provide a good background to what is going on.
    It absolutely has that. And to be a part of it was something special for me.

It's just that the charged groups aren't that big relative to the other Canadian sports.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gridiron is an event thing where you wait in between things happening - on TV its all about the analysis and the hype.

Bball is kinda the same as you wait for the offence to do something while the clock counts down.

Soccer requires concentration (but the pass it around the back era of the 80's and 90's really wasn't fun to watch much of the time). Its really a much better game to watch at the stadium.
    this. i know a lot of people who watch football who say that they don't mind breaks or commercials because it gives them the chance to talk with their friends, or dick around on their phones. these sports (with the exception of basketball) aren't really ones that you have to be glued to the TV for extended periods of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    this. i know a lot of people who watch football who say that they don't mind breaks or commercials because it gives them the chance to talk with their friends, or dick around on their phones. these sports (with the exception of basketball) aren't really ones that you have to be glued to the TV for extended periods of time.
    Football on TV to me is not meant to be a game that is watched straight through.
    But its perfect for people in fantasy leagues.
    I've been in 2 leagues for years, and its awesome to zip channel to channel on Sundays to watch my players on NFL Sunday Ticket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find MLS really slow paced, and that's actually my main problem trying to get interested watching more games on TV. I agree they are fast players, but player speed isn't what creates the speed of the game, it's the speed of ball movement. Watch a counter in MLS compared to EPL. Substantially quicker in EPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    The commercials really kill the live experience. The one Argos game I went to, I could not believe how long players stand around doing absolutely nothing waiting for the commercial breaks. It's excruciating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The commercials really kill the live experience. The one Argos game I went to, I could not believe how long players stand around doing absolutely nothing waiting for the commercial breaks. It's excruciating.

^This^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can pop in and watch baseball at anytime, which is probably what happens. its often background noise. you can just review stats to recap the game

Soccer needs to be paid attention to, stats wont tell you much. you can win 2-0 with 25% possession while a man down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bingo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hate that as well for live basketball. tv should never be allowed to change the game. increased resting time alters the outcome of games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soccer is the best

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a PVR, you can practically pause any baseball and (gridiron) football game for any length of time, then play it and go through every action at 30 second fast forwards. With its non stop action, you really can't do that with soccer.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The beauty of soccer for me , look at it this way, the glamour position in American Football , the position every American kid wants to play is quarterback, well in soccer every time a player has the ball he is a quarterback , you have 10 options in soccer everytime a player has the ball actually 11 options if you include going for goal as an option too, therefore, in soccer every player can be a quarterback when you get the ball, what other sport gives a player so many options when they get the ball, makes soccer the beautiful game it is and the best sport on the planet hands down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    If you have a PVR, you can practically pause any baseball and (gridiron) football game for any length of time, then play it and go through every action at 30 second fast forwards. With its non stop action, you really can't do that with soccer.
    In fact, I really enjoy the Blue Jays in 30 telecasts for exactly that reason.