Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ Wouldn't they make less money with only packaging local deals?

Seems the big carrot in pro sports is a national deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    I
    Don't think for a second that TSN aren't smelling catfood as far as the CFL goes long term. Bell have tried to prop the CFL up with money and blowjob journalism on their networks (TSN, CTV) or in corporately aligned outlets like the Globe and Mail. ....
    The Globe hasn't been owned by Bell for about 7 years.

Oh, and TSN is going to sign up again for MLS. They are just haggling/posturing over price.

We also might be getting vic because Nigel is taking a holiday after Rio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One gets the impression that TSN took on MLS so they could strategically muffle coverage and manage it in a manner to not outshine the CFL in any way. Yet the three biggest markets in Canada all feature MLS clubs increasingly outdrawing their CFL counterparts. Slowly and steadily whittling away their importance.
    This got me thinking about the new CPL league that's supposed to be announced sometime after the next CSA meeting this month. Could TSN be downplaying MLS in order to go whole hog on the CPL when it launches? I'm pretty sure TSN is going to be one of the sponsors (controlling interests?) of the new league and they'll need it to fill up space on some of their channels during the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ Wouldn't they make less money with only packaging local deals?

Seems the big carrot in pro sports is a national deal.
    As crazy as it sounds the league needs market presence more than National coverage, give a local channel the rights to MLS in the market along with expanded MLSLove and they will build viewership faster than being buried by TSN. How great would a local play by play team be then an obvious Impact fan doing TFC games.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    As crazy as it sounds the league needs market presence more than National coverage, give a local channel the rights to MLS in the market along with expanded MLSLove and they will build viewership faster than being buried by TSN. How great would a local play by play team be then an obvious Impact fan doing TFC games.
    So you think that ratings on something like City TV would be higher than a sports network?

Just don't see it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    This got me thinking about the new CPL league that's supposed to be announced sometime after the next CSA meeting this month. Could TSN be downplaying MLS in order to go whole hog on the CPL when it launches? I'm pretty sure TSN is going to be one of the sponsors (controlling interests?) of the new league and they'll need it to fill up space on some of their channels during the summer.
    No. Don't think so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    This is a very, very bad take. There's a market for winning and excitement and people wanting to be part of something.

And I can tell you, a certain ex-league executive I talk to is very disappointed with how this club is being handled on TV/Radio .
    There are more Canadians playing soccer than any other sport yet the mainstream media still tries to imply that soccer is a foreign sport. They will do everything to promote more "Canadian" sports but blatantly ridicule, minimize or ignore the top soccer league we have and our teams. This to me is definitely planned and the purpose is to make the "foreigners" adapt to and watch the so called more Canadian sports. Just watch or listen to Bob the snob or any other mainstream wanker to prove my point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    thats what i think they will do. TSN doesn't sound like it's interested in losing money on MLS anymore.
    TFC will still be the same due to ownership broadcast obligations -- maybe we get one consistent broadcast team / production shared between networks.
    Impact and Whitecaps will probably have to subsidize production costs to stay on TV
    Last edited by Onyx; 08-27-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    There are more Canadians playing soccer than any other sport yet the mainstream media still tries to imply that soccer is a foreign sport. They will do everything to promote more "Canadian" sports but blatantly ridicule, minimize or ignore the top soccer league we have and our teams. This to me is definitely planned and the purpose is to make the "foreigners" adapt to and watch the so called more Canadian sports. Just watch or listen to Bob the snob or any other mainstream wanker to prove my point.
    they do the same with cricket, I dont watch/play the sport but I am fully aware of how many do or would if it was on TV. There is not even highlights for cricket world cup.

if you can get into curling, you can get into cricket

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty covered today.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Pretty covered today.
    Yes this is part of the problem. How many times have you heard Habs or Yankees suck at a hockey or baseball game even by little kids and its passed as "all in good fun", but when it happens at a TFC game (albeit a bit graphic) we are treated like Nazis. Instead of focusing on our superstar Giovinco or our first place standing all I've heard today is about that stupid sign. This is all part of the main stream propaganda, portraying soccer fans as young idiot hooligans. Which I am neither.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Yes this is part of the problem. How many times have you heard Habs or Yankees suck at a hockey or baseball game even by little kids and its passed as "all in good fun", but when it happens at a TFC game (albeit a bit graphic) we are treated like Nazis. Instead of focusing on our superstar Giovinco or our first place standing all I've heard today is about that stupid sign. This is all part of the main stream propaganda, portraying soccer fans as young idiot hooligans. Which I am neither.
    "treated like Nazis..." A bit much.

More like we are treated like conservative politicians. The media don't like TFC or don't understand soccer. Or, in many cases, feel threatened by TFC's rise.

The MSM doesn't like conservatives, so the only stories they really focus on are the negative ones.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh, the Sun published an article on all this and I also am old enough to remember what the Libs thought of the CBC in the Trudeau years soooooooo.....not going with the MSM conspiracy thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow we made it on 640.(what ever that is)is it safe to bring kids to a tfc game,maybe a tad safer then getting a can of beer on the head from upper deck at a bluejays game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignore it. Nobody will remember in a week.

And if they are still upset, they don't matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    wow we made it on 640.(what ever that is)is it safe to bring kids to a tfc game,maybe a tad safer then getting a can of beer on the head from upper deck at a bluejays game.
    What did they say

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not see the televised version of Saturday's game, but over the years I have noticed our national anthem and flag displays and hype from the crowd just minutes before the game are skipped on tv and usually doing advertisements at that time and return seconds before kickoff. I don't know if it was showed the tifo we had Saturday but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't shown. Yet things like blue jays, raptors or Leafs die for a chance to air things like "some" fans actually singing the national anthem or a flag being passed around (made by the club obviously) and then air the shit out of it and put on commercial advertisements to hype the fans up. We do that game in and game out on our own and are often ignored.....oh well I'm fine with other sports fans seeing a maple leaf flag passed around by fans and thinking it was crazy and unique and all, I just thot it's a missed chance by the media to show passion the TFC fans have like they try to do for the other sports. Well they probably show some passion and hype about TFC fans, but not at the same level as some other teams in this city, yet TFC actually have the most atmosphere.
    Last edited by james; 08-30-2016 at 01:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing TFC's win earn front page coverage in both the Star and Sun's print edition sports sections, I watched the morning sports casts on both TSN and Sportsnet with interest. The story wasn't buried, but naturally took a back seat to the Jays on Sportsnet. You know something is amiss when Sportsnet put up a more informative report than the network who hold Canadian broadcast rights for MLS. Worse, TSN never bothered to use the time in the report to spotlight the upcoming Toronto-Montreal game on Saturday which they are televising.

Is there anything grimmer than listening to Darrel "Grain Silos for Goalposts" Dutchyshyn try to talk soccer? You can't fake it pal. You know nowt about the game and you've bad-mouthed soccer for years before TSN lost the hockey deal and had to scramble other properties on board. He spent as much time seriously intoning the negative side of the largely irrelevant Hope Solo suspension as he did on the TFC game. Bet he enjoyed that, too. Their website has Noel Butler writing columns on English soccer but nothing lately about MLS. Kristian Jack is notably absent from the site.

One gets the impression that TSN took on MLS so they could strategically muffle coverage and manage it in a manner to not outshine the CFL in any way. Yet the three biggest markets in Canada all feature MLS clubs increasingly outdrawing their CFL counterparts. Slowly and steadily whittling away their importance.

CBC's website is also pathetic at covering MLS. You have to really want to find it and when you do, what little there is is lame.
    Well we out draw attendance at the box office over CFL, but our tv ratings are shit compared to CFL sadly. Many of the soccer fans in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver Soccer fans in these cities that attend MLS games are hardcore and try to attend as many games as can but often don't watch games on TV, often not even watch when they are away. When at home they rather watch premiership, or champions league. MLS It's more of a being in the atmosphere, have to see it live type thing, something that has lost meaning in other sports. Many CFL fans are happy to sit at home and watch games, even if it might not be there team playing, maybe attend 1 game a year type thing for many.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

From a media standpoint,TSN is currently running their "soccer lives here"
    promotions that tie the EPL, MLS and National games together in a pretty hyped up montage.

Seems pretty well focused on the "soccer demographic" for fans that play the game and are fans of at least one of the league's featured.

For those that don't think media coverage of MLS is strong, how would you alter this campaign?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who care's what the like of Dave Perkins, and that other Moose Face Bob Mckowen say about TFC . Why do we need there approval.. We have the best fans , the best atmosphere at our games . I believe we are averaging approx. 25 to 30 thousand a game. we are beating the Argos in that regard. If the Blue Jays were not having year they having (And I hope they continue there success) Maybe we would be getting a bit more respect. Soccer is growing I this country with the success of Womens team in Rio is going to help. Hopefully there success will rub off onto Benito Floro's Men this week in Honduras. At the same time most of the Mainstream sports journos here are just plain old Leaf and Blue Jay apoligists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Ignore it. Nobody will remember in a week.

And if they are still upset, they don't matter.
    Amen to that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    Who care's what the like of Dave Perkins, and that other Moose Face Bob Mckowen say about TFC . Why do we need there approval..

(snip)

At the same time most of the Mainstream sports journos here are just plain old Leaf and Blue Jay apoligists.
    I agree that we don't need their approval specifically - but they occupy so much of the limited bandwidth, that we need their producers' attention.

MLS needs airtime, and in order to get it, we have to get past the gatekeepers, and Moose Face is one of those gatekeepers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who actually listens to radio sports shows? For that matter, who watches TSN highlight shows? I've never listened to sports radio ever, even when I drove to work and back every day. And it's been years now since I've watched sports highlights. I think TSN had the old scoreboard logo the last time I watched Sportscentre or whatever it's called. I know I'm probably not the average, but the influence of these shows in providing sports information is declining. As is the influence of newspapers. I wouldn't get too hung up on how much coverage we get.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Who actually listens to radio sports shows? For that matter, who watches TSN highlight shows? I've never listened to sports radio ever, even when I drove to work and back every day. And it's been years now since I've watched sports highlights. I think TSN had the old scoreboard logo the last time I watched Sportscentre or whatever it's called. I know I'm probably not the average, but the influence of these shows in providing sports information is declining. As is the influence of newspapers. I wouldn't get too hung up on how much coverage we get.
    People that don't usually commit to one sport and feel the need to keep up on all of them. Sometimes just for water cooler talk.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I watch the highlight shows. Not every day mind you but seeing big plays (or misplays) or what happened in west coast games that influence the pennant race are just a few of the reasons that I would watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there has to be a viewer/listenership that justifies a business case - they don't exist simply on hot air, as it were....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I watch the highlight shows. Not every day mind you but seeing big plays (or misplays) or what happened in west coast games that influence the pennant race are just a few of the reasons that I would watch.
    I really stopped since Twitter. I get links to basically anything I'm interested in in my newsfeed and watch it on my phone. Wonder what the ratings for those shows are now compared to say 10 years ago?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    there has to be a viewer/listenership that justifies a business case - they don't exist simply on hot air, as it were....
    The Toronto Star is losing massive amounts of money. They still have readership and ad dollars, but they are pretty much fighting for their existence. Not sure how television is doing in comparison, but it must be tough. Also a lot of ad buyers, particularly in sports, are going more peer to peer in their advertising dollars.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I really stopped since Twitter. I get links to basically anything I'm interested in in my newsfeed and watch it on my phone. Wonder what the ratings for those shows are now compared to say 10 years ago?
    I can see that for some but watching things on my phone just isn't fun.

In my 40's and I've got bifocals now. The idea of watching something on a 5" screen vs my 56" screen is a non starter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN and/or Blue Jays baseball has become the go to wallpaper TV for those tired of having CP24 on all day long. And that Sportscentre pretty much runs all day long.

I don't get Sports Talk Radio unless its specific to a sport.