Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like they are finally ramping up the promos. I lost count of how many times I saw the tv spot during the NFL broadcasts on CTV. Ricketts and Osorio were on BT this morning. TV spot is showing up on CP24 as well.

They were giving these out at Yonge and Dundas outside the subway entrances this morning: http://imgur.com/a/S0TSk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also noticed in the TSN promo for the game that it will be aired on channels 1, 3, 4, & 5......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    More than anyone in hockey wants to admit.

I deal with marketing people who direct corporate money into sports-related promotions or ads. They can quote all sorts of numbers and stats. What scares hockey people the most is that, since around 1996-97 when soccer finally equalled hockey in registered participants - just over 500,000 each - hockey has struggled to grow in any significant way, bouncing around the 600,000 mark today. Soccer is about to top the 1 million mark.

But they also look within those overall numbers and see that hockey's male participants declined almost 60,000. Only the steady growth of the women's game has kept hockey's numbers moving upward. But it is the male side of hockey that largely drives commercial revenue.

Soccer enjoys a healthy split between male and female participants and this nation's future population growth strategies all point toward soccer becoming even stronger.

So, yes, there is a real dislike of soccer - a true fear and loathing - since it is beginning to impact where important commercial revenues are directed.

And gridiron football? Not a bright future.
    NHL in a way is hurting itself. I loved hockey growing up, playing it and whatching it on tv. After I just stopped playing at 18 as I now couldn't keep relying on my dad to pay for it, plus I was more interested in girls and parties then the sport. Add in the NHL strike, I couldn't stand betmen running the league, and the fact that I couldn't even afford to ever go to Leafs games, I felt completely dis connected from the NHL. I then visited family in England attended a couple matches, and wow the atmosphere took me in, I loved the atmosphere. Came back to Toronto and actually did attend a Leafs game as my friend got a pair of free tickets, atmosphere sucked, everyone around me had suits, security even threatened me for being to loud, it sucked. That point I had it , started playing sports again, but it was soccer as me and my friends started our own team for like $200 each vs the $800 we might have paid for hockey (plus much more equipment to pay for). I just haven't cared for the sport in years. NHL also seems to keep disconnecting its self from many fans (in Toronto anyways). I think rules kept changing, Leafs sucking hurt them more. Add in betmans dislike for Canadian market, and then you get things like NHL not going to the future olympics (one last thing in hockey I look forward to).
    Last edited by james; 11-28-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    NHL in a way is hurting itself. I loved hockey growing up, playing it and whatching it on tv. After I just stopped playing at 18 as I now couldn't keep relying on my dad to pay for it, plus I was more interested in girls and parties then the sport. Add in the NHL strike, I couldn't stand betmen running the league, and the fact that I couldn't even afford to ever go to Leafs games, I felt completely dis connected from the NHL. I then visited family in England attended a couple matches, and wow the atmosphere took me in, I loved the atmosphere. Came back to Toronto and actually did attend a Leafs game as my friend got a pair of free tickets, atmosphere sucked, everyone around me had suits, security even threatened me for being to loud, it sucked. That point I had it , started playing sports again, but it was soccer as me and my friends started our own team for like $200 each vs the $800 we might have paid for hockey (plus much more equipment to pay for). I just haven't cared for the sport in years. NHL also seems to keep disconnecting its self from many fans (in Toronto anyways). I think rules kept changing, Leafs sucking hurt them more. Add in betmans dislike for Canadian market, and then you get things like NHL not going to the future olympics (one last thing in hockey I look forward to).
    Oh, expect even more blame to be heaped on soccer as hockey in Canada begins to suffer even more losses.

Want an affordable alternative to NHL hockey? Then you might consider watching an OHL junior game with tickets below $25. But you'll have to get well clear of Toronto for that soon.

Mississauga Steelheads at the Hershey Centre are destined to be moving in the next year, probably Stateside. Even sadder, the historic Peterborough Petes franchise is in big financial trouble and will either be sold or folded soon. In Ottawa, the 67's are playing in front of shockingly low numbers - often less than 2,000 - after averaging over 5,000 not that long ago.

That's way down in the grass roots of hockey. Expect even more polarized reaction toward soccer when it migrates upward.

Still chuckling at the horseshit attitude towards soccer overheard at BMO Field on Sunday amongst the Grey Cup media and CFL staff and fans.

Olivier Poulin, the CFL director of communications, is the "Montreal guy" who spouted dog's abuse about the playing surface for Wednesday's game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mississauga Steelheads at the Hershey Centre are destined to be moving in the next year, probably Stateside. Even sadder, the historic Peterborough Petes franchise is in big financial trouble and will either be sold or folded soon. In Ottawa, the 67's are playing in front of shockingly low numbers - often less than 2,000 - after averaging over 5,000 not that long ago.
    Mississauga has burned through three franchises in the last 20 years, starting with the Don Cherries, then the St Mikes Majors, and now the Steelheads. I think it's too close to the 416. Having the Brampton Battalion so close by surely didn't help.

The Petes are in a decrepit building and are looking for concessions. Probably a good move. What they need is a local version of Jeff Hunt. Right now ownership is looking like Howard Darwin.

Which brings me to the last point - the 67's are averaging 4500 this year, after finally moving back into their home arena at Lansdowne Park. They really were hurt by playing in Kanata while the arena was being rebuilt. But Jeff Hunt will get them back on track.

If you're looking for local affordable hockey, the Marlies are an excellent choice.

Hey, should we talk about Can Am racing now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Mississauga has burned through three franchises in the last 20 years, starting with the Don Cherries, then the St Mikes Majors, and now the Steelheads. I think it's too close to the 416. Having the Brampton Battalion so close by surely didn't help.

The Petes are in a decrepit building and are looking for concessions. Probably a good move. What they need is a local version of Jeff Hunt. Right now ownership is looking like Howard Darwin.

Which brings me to the last point - the 67's are averaging 4500 this year, after finally moving back into their home arena at Lansdowne Park. They really were hurt by playing in Kanata while the arena was being rebuilt. But Jeff Hunt will get them back on track.

If you're looking for local affordable hockey, the Marlies are an excellent choice.

Hey, should we talk about Can Am racing now?
    The people who screwed up Mississauga Ice Dogs are the league officials, no one else.
    That was before this decline in hockey the last 6 or so years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey " greatwhitenorf" can you elaborate a little more on what kind of things you were hearing from these guys at the Grey Cup yesterday and expecially this CFL guy Olivier, this kind of stuff does not surprise be at all not surprising .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know those in the media would have you believe otherwise, but Toronto is not a hockey city. Is it "Leafs Nation", yeah sure. But it's not a hockey city, and certainly not the proclaimed "centre of the hockey universe", just because the HHOF is here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too used to love everything hockey growing up (though I never played it). I was a huge Leafs fan and would never miss a game on tv. I started watching soccer more in high school, but the turning point for me was the NHL lockout. During that year I got more and more into watching my family's favourite club team and noticed the contrast in atmospheres. Also the NHL turned me off, because as I was growing up it was getting more and more gimmicky. I was too young to remember when OT started in the regular season, and was too naive to understand the ridiculousness of 4-on-4 OT hockey with a guaranteed point. But the final nail was the idiotic shootout. Oh and now there are too many shootouts, so the NHL went to 3-on-3 OT.

I came to realize that if you feel the need to constantly change your rules to make it entertaining, then you're doing it wrong.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh, expect even more blame to be heaped on soccer as hockey in Canada begins to suffer even more losses.

Want an affordable alternative to NHL hockey? Then you might consider watching an OHL junior game with tickets below $25. But you'll have to get well clear of Toronto for that soon.

That's way down in the grass roots of hockey. Expect even more polarized reaction toward soccer when it migrates upward.

Still chuckling at the horseshit attitude towards soccer overheard at BMO Field on Sunday amongst the Grey Cup media and CFL staff and fans.

Olivier Poulin, the CFL director of communications, is the "Montreal guy" who spouted dog's abuse about the playing surface for Wednesday's game.
    This is sad if true. While I could care less about NHL hockey, I grew up supporting ohl hockey in Kingston. I want soccer to grow by leaps and bounds in this country, as do most of the people on these boards, but it saddens me to hear that such community icons such as the Petes are struggling. The NHL can piss up a flagpole so far as I'm concerned, and I revel in MLS' growing popularity vis a vis the NHL. But it saddens me to hear some community hockey clubs may be struggling. But that's neither here nor there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    I too used to love everything hockey growing up (though I never played it). I was a huge Leafs fan and would never miss a game on tv. I started watching soccer more in high school, but the turning point for me was the NHL lockout. During that year I got more and more into watching my family's favourite club team and noticed the contrast in atmospheres. Also the NHL turned me off, because as I was growing up it was getting more and more gimmicky. I was too young to remember when OT started in the regular season, and was too naive to understand the ridiculousness of 4-on-4 OT hockey with a guaranteed point. But the final nail was the idiotic shootout. Oh and now there are too many shootouts, so the NHL went to 3-on-3 OT.

I came to realize that if you feel the need to constantly change your rules to make it entertaining, then you're doing it wrong.
    This very closely mimics my experience as well. I used to live-and-breathe the Leafs, but then I started watching the EPL, and then TFC came along, and then I went to a Marlies game (was even in a private suite) and was mind-numbingly bored the entire time at the constant stoppages in play and zero atmosphere.

Now I really only care about TFC, the Raptors, and to a lesser extent the Argos and Rock (the entertainment level of a NLL game is even above that of the NHL).

Plus, the whole 'hockey community' in Canada is starting to come off as the last bastion of the whole WASP-y, pseudo-racist, small-town Canadian culture that I grew up in a can't stand. Give me Toronto and a great multicultural crowd at BMO any day.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the US election proved, the traditional way of news gathering can be pretty stagnant (barfing up Leafs Lunch)
    Also, the MLS Cup has never had any real media traction outside of the two competing cities.
    Locally, this TFC run has thousands of original long suffering supporters feeling vindicated and stoked. There's actually a pretty good story to be told, beyond highway tolls and Grey Cup half-time shows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post

the rule changes made me also feel like it was gimicky as well. I hated when they added shoot outs. I hated when betman seemed to just care about new random american southern markets, but didn't care about markets like Hamilton, Quebec City or Winnipeg (tho Winnipeg did eventually win a team back). New gimick tournaments like the World Cup this year just keeps making things worse and worse for me, and now NHL discussing cancelling its involvement with the olympics. Add in the fact I realized attending a game involves more commercial breaks and multi media attractions during the game, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The full court press yesterday by MLSE on the media was good to see - Osorio was everywhere.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Hey " greatwhitenorf" can you elaborate a little more on what kind of things you were hearing from these guys at the Grey Cup yesterday and expecially this CFL guy Olivier, this kind of stuff does not surprise be at all not surprising .
    Him make fun of dat soccer. Dose dere media people laugh wid 'im. Huh Huh Huh. Den dey eat pull pork.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the Oilers vs. Leafs game today and TSN's hockey pundits plugged the TFC vs Impact match on multiple times. I was impressed. First time I've seen them do that. Getting some traction during high profile games is great for the clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Manning was on with McCown last night - about 32 mins in

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/p...r-29---5pm.mp3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so this morning on TSN 1050 Naylor says to Landsberg if TFC win tonight can you name the opponent for the Finals. Landsberg after a few seconds of thinking says Seattle. Naylor says if this was game 7 of hockey finals would you even need a few seconds to respond? His point was that MLS is meaningless to most. Landsberg says to Naylor you hate soccer and have an agenda, you try to diminish MLS while always propping up the CFL. Good on Landsberg. What as ass this Naylor guy is.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My family listens to CHFI every morning for their Christmas songs. So last week when TFC were playing in Montreal I was listening and the news guy Steve Rogers comes on and talked about the Raptors playing and an upcoming Leafs game but no mention of TFC. I was not really surprised too much since soccer gets the snub alot but for some reason I thought to myself that I should send an email to the station so I did. I didn't expect anything back but yesterday the news guy himself sent me an email apologizing and telling me he has criteria mandated on him to cover certain sports and he only has 60 seconds most days to fit in all the news and all that. I told him us soccer fans are used to the bias for the Leafs/Jays/Raptors but at least it is picking up in some media outlets more these days if not his. I also told him that if the Jays had a playoff game I am sure they would have got a mention so I don't buy all that 60 seconds only stuff because there should have been a mention at least. Anyway, this morning he mentioned the TFC game at the start of his news blurb saying the city would be busy tonight with the game, then he mentioned TFC in his sports segment, then he mentioned TFC again when he did the weather. Put a big smile on my face. Props to CHFI and particularly Steve Rogers for getting back to their listeners and kind of going out of their way to make it up. Let's go Reds!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    so this morning on TSN 1050 Naylor says to Landsberg if TFC win tonight can you name the opponent for the Finals. Landsberg after a few seconds of thinking says Seattle. Naylor says if this was game 7 of hockey finals would you even need a few seconds to respond? His point was that MLS is meaningless to most. Landsberg says to Naylor you hate soccer and have an agenda, you try to diminish MLS while always propping up the CFL. Good on Landsberg. What as ass this Naylor guy is.
    Friday I was walking to Union Station to go home and I saw a gaggle of women, all made up, wearing orange tights and winter coats, with BC Lions luggage (!) and I made the leap to decide they were BC Lions cheerleaders.

(They were rubbernecking and taking pics, it was kind of cute, a real "country mouse" sort of thing, and I remember the doing the same in my teens when I'd come to visit the city.)

I thought, oh yeah, BC Lions are in the Grey Cup this weekend. And moved on.

Who's this Naylor fella?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zorsofstesab View Post
    Props to Lansberg.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Props to Lansberg.
    Changed my workday by 2 hours to get to BMO early which is why I heard this exchange.
    Landsberg pulled no punches. Had Naylor on the ropes with feeble denials. Also called him out on his CFL bias, big time.
    It was awesome.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    My family listens to CHFI every morning for their Christmas songs. So last week when TFC were playing in Montreal I was listening and the news guy Steve Rogers comes on and talked about the Raptors playing and an upcoming Leafs game but no mention of TFC. I was not really surprised too much since soccer gets the snub alot but for some reason I thought to myself that I should send an email to the station so I did. I didn't expect anything back but yesterday the news guy himself sent me an email apologizing and telling me he has criteria mandated on him to cover certain sports and he only has 60 seconds most days to fit in all the news and all that. I told him us soccer fans are used to the bias for the Leafs/Jays/Raptors but at least it is picking up in some media outlets more these days if not his. I also told him that if the Jays had a playoff game I am sure they would have got a mention so I don't buy all that 60 seconds only stuff because there should have been a mention at least. Anyway, this morning he mentioned the TFC game at the start of his news blurb saying the city would be busy tonight with the game, then he mentioned TFC in his sports segment, then he mentioned TFC again when he did the weather. Put a big smile on my face. Props to CHFI and particularly Steve Rogers for getting back to their listeners and kind of going out of their way to make it up. Let's go Reds!!!
    Good job!

Be sure to email him thanks, these guys get complaints all the time but a little positivity when they do come through is a good idea.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norm Kelly tweeting about TFC..this is odd because I rarely see him tweet anything TFC

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

680 this morning did a big spot during the sports and had another spot in the general news at 7:03 after the traffic and weather. The reporter mentioned the possible scenarios where TFC goes through. I almost drove off the road in shock.... 680 have stepped up their game big time this year.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother told me that few of his friends at school were mentioning that the mainstream channels like 92.5, 103.5 etc were talking about it even this morning. They were very confused by the away goals rule, which was most of the discussion but it was there!
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Good job!

Be sure to email him thanks, these guys get complaints all the time but a little positivity when they do come through is a good idea.
    We chatted this morning already. Definitely thanked him. He was happy to get the positive feedback and says he will try to get more TFC news in there in the future.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto loves a contender.

Baby steps...interest now means possible interest during the season next year. That's the way it went with the Blue Jays when they had a run at the Eastern Pennant - built up awareness and demand.

As for Naylor...putz....but today is such a great day for this team and us supporters not going to let no CFL shill get me down.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
    My brother told me that few of his friends at school were mentioning that the mainstream channels like 92.5, 103.5 etc were talking about it even this morning. They were very confused by the away goals rule, which was most of the discussion but it was there!
    I just had to explain it to someone at work here. When he scoffed I said imagine explaining the significance to someone not from here celebrating winning game 5 of a 7 game series to keep them in it.

So? He says.

Ah. Nm.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I just had to explain it to someone at work here. When he scoffed I said imagine explaining the significance to someone not from here celebrating winning game 5 of a 7 game series to keep them in it.

So? He says.

Ah. Nm.
    I've had the same conversation about both of those. Confusion on both sides. It's funny but at least people are asking. Kinda helps that I ignored the dress code and wore all TFC to work today. My boss knows im big fan for shes allowed it aha.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!