Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    For the Eurosnob, sure. But they didn't watch Leicster vs Swansea so what do they know.

Look, MLS ain't Barca vs. Real or Spurs vs. Liverpool. But MLS is pretty fast paced and vigorous. Technical qualities? Not so good. Defences? Pretty poor. Attacking? Interesting stuff most of the time.

For sporting enjoyment on TV, I put it up there with mid table Seria A & Bundesliga games and in with the Championship Level England. (But only because I was watching Div 1 English style 30 years ago when it first showed up).

I agree its not mainstream.

BUT, what it does have in the Canadian teams is 3 really really charged groups of supporters who provide a good background to what is going on.
    I totally agree here. I think if you're a fan of teams in Europe's smaller leagues (such as Greece, Poland, Ukraine, Turkey, etc) you tend to have more realistic expectations of MLS. If you're used to always watching EPL, La Liga, and Serie A, then yeah, you might be disappointed with the quality. I have watched Greek soccer for slightly longer than MLS, and I have to tell you, there is far more up side in MLS. Average attendance is higher in MLS, and MLS stadiums and pitches tend to be better as well. It won't be long before MLS is better than leagues 10-20 in Europe (if not already better).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The commercials really kill the live experience. The one Argos game I went to, I could not believe how long players stand around doing absolutely nothing waiting for the commercial breaks. It's excruciating.
    took an english friend to a hockey game once and he couldn't believe that they actually took "TV breaks". he was just so gobsmacked. he was like "wait.. so they purposely stop the game so they can play commercials!?"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We took a Scottish visitor to a Leafs game at the ACC.

Arriving home, he was asked what he thought of the game. His reply was, "I went to a multi-media experience and a hockey game broke out."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rather amusing this week watching mainstream media stars squirm - like overweight 50-somethings trying to do The Time Warp - into awkward roles trying to discuss TFC.

Damien Cox in the Star and, especially 'Richard' Simmons in the Sun and on TSN. Both had columns - not acknowledged on this site - regarding TFC's current situation.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...s-are-cox.html

Cox - an avid TiCats supporter and CFL lover - used a guest column in the Star on Monday to boldly declare the tipping point has been reached and that TFC have inarguably, irreversibly assumed the role as fourth largest franchise in this city. No shit Sherlock. He could have been even more credible by declaring that the Argos are well and truly dead and that soccer is not only here to stay, but only going to get stronger in years to come. But at least he's showing a progressive attitude.

And then we have Simmons clearly trying to carve out some sort of tiny platform whereby he can credibly comment on TFC. Fat chance. But he needs something to talk about because his pom-pom Argo advocacy has utterly, miserably, totally failed.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/30...ht-to-remember

On a cringeworthy episode of TSN radio's Breakfast Club, he and CFL barnacle Dave Naylor immediately revert to nibbling former TFC TV presenter Andy Petrillo's toes as they have no clue what to say about soccer. The minute Simmons opens his mouth, his lack of credibility on the subject of soccer is instantly apparent. Unlike Cox, he can't even fake it properly. Naylor is even more bereft and they spend the episode desperately searching for CFL-related reference points to acquire perspective on soccer.

Bruce Arthur basically sits there like a paperweight most of the show waiting for the guy from Blue's Clues to comp him a line. Hopelessly uninformed.

Patient and tolerant throughout this farce, Petrillo is absolutely the business giving solid information to listeners over this cluster of nit-wits.

I can't believe this an indication of how utterly dim the average Canadian sports fan is about soccer? They should re-name TSN's Sunday morning babble fest from The Reporters to Yesterday's Men.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 11-05-2016 at 01:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    took an english friend to a hockey game once and he couldn't believe that they actually took "TV breaks". he was just so gobsmacked. he was like "wait.. so they purposely stop the game so they can play commercials!?"
    My brother in law from England said the exact same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    We took a Scottish visitor to a Leafs game at the ACC.

Arriving home, he was asked what he thought of the game. His reply was, "I went to a multi-media experience and a hockey game broke out."
    people in Canada and USA often don't realize how much multi media and entertainment distractions take away from the sport. They often don't know how to attend a sporting event any other way as it is the norm for them, often to Euro sports tho it seems completely bizarre to have so many commercials, scoreboard multi media and other random activities that go on that often have little to do with the sporting game. I'm actually usually to embarrassed to suggest taking family from UK to a sporting event in Toronto other then Toronto FC, which I usually suggest the skill may be like supporting a team in England's League 1 but we usually draw 20k-30k fans, and the atmosphere can be pretty decent, they usually have fun pleasantly surprised about the whole day experience.
    Last edited by james; 11-05-2016 at 03:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Shoalts sings the praises of the team today.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle32688791/

I love the ending:

“At TFC, they see the fans and their support. It becomes a destination. Then they see the way Greg Vanney plays soccer, which is an attractive style of soccer, an entertaining style of play. All this drives the team forward.”This was confirmed by Bradley, who said this week TFC’s recent success has brought inquiries from all sorts of acquaintances, including former teammates in Europe.
    “The amount of texts and messages I’ve gotten from people I know, friends, other guys around the league, in Europe who are watching our games on TV at the moment and going, basically, ‘Where are you guys playing, what stadium is that?’” Bradley said. “They’re in disbelief about the atmosphere we have and the advantage the fans in this city are giving at the moment. It’s special.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Rather amusing this week watching mainstream media stars squirm - like overweight 50-somethings trying to do The Time Warp - into awkward roles trying to discuss TFC.

Damien Cox in the Star and, especially 'Richard' Simmons in the Sun and on TSN. Both had columns - not acknowledged on this site - .

Both of those columns were discussed in various pages on here. Cox in detail, Simmons less so.

I suspect the old guys network media types are waiting for this run to finish so they can go back to all writing the same book, "The Triumph of the Leaf Rookie". They prefer their safe environment where their moral code isn't challenged. Its all very safe and solid and very conservative- this country is just crying out for a Mina Kimes type of sports writer.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-05-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The thought process behind challenging the character of mainstream journalists that give the team attention at a peak moment in its history is pretty puzzling to say the least.

It would be like a "Support Local Football" movement that finally gets non-regular fans to come out and someone starts a chant to single them out that amounts to "Who the hell are you and where the hell were you? We don't need your bloody support" (doesn't rhyme I know but that's why I'm no longer on songs and chants committee)

Mainstream coverage wanted.
    Mainstream coverage achieved.
    Mainstream journalists criticized for not being there earlier.
    Should totally endear them to ongoing soccer coverage next year when when its game 23 of a regular season. Totally going to do that. Great plan, umm Sherlock was it?

Puzzling.

A different approach would be to say thank you for joining to help support our boys and the club. Appreciate the effort at this exciting time. Please continue.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rate sports journalist on quality. There is a distinct lack of journalistic quality in the mainstream general sports columnists. Specific sports columnists tend to be much better.

I stand by my statement on the old boys network.

Read this piece on a couple of NFL players and ask yourself if any Canadian sports journo would have gotten anything close to this. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...tt-vs-everyone

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So you want mainstream coverage by a mythical new crop of mainstream sports journalists?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    people in Canada and USA often don't realize how much multi media and entertainment distractions take away from the sport. They often don't know how to attend a sporting event any other way as it is the norm for them, often to Euro sports tho it seems completely bizarre to have so many commercials, scoreboard multi media and other random activities that go on that often have little to do with the sporting game. I'm actually usually to embarrassed to suggest taking family from UK to a sporting event in Toronto other then Toronto FC, which I usually suggest the skill may be like supporting a team in England's League 1 but we usually draw 20k-30k fans, and the atmosphere can be pretty decent, they usually have fun pleasantly surprised about the whole day experience.
    there was an effort going to switch world cup 1994 (USA) games to four quarters instead of just two halves. so they have more commercial time. embarrassing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the Eurosnob, sure. But they didn't watch Leicster vs Swansea so what do they know.

Look, MLS ain't Barca vs. Real or Spurs vs. Liverpool. But MLS is pretty fast paced and vigorous. Technical qualities? Not so good. Defences? Pretty poor. Attacking? Interesting stuff most of the time.

For sporting enjoyment on TV, I put it up there with mid table Seria A & Bundesliga games and in with the Championship Level England. (But only because I was watching Div 1 English style 30 years ago when it first showed up).

I agree its not mainstream.

BUT, what it does have in the Canadian teams is 3 really really charged groups of supporters who provide a good background to what is going on.
    Mid-table Bundy and Serie A v. ........ Championship in England.

HEAD EXPLODES

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rate sports journalist on quality. There is a distinct lack of journalistic quality in the mainstream general sports columnists. Specific sports columnists tend to be much better.

I stand by my statement on the old boys network.

Read this piece on a couple of NFL players and ask yourself if any Canadian sports journo would have gotten anything close to this. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...tt-vs-everyone
    Mina Kimes is an example of someone bringing a very detailed investigative background to sports, not being a sports journalist per say. While I tend to not like the comparison of people strictly being American or Canadian I do except the differences in the platforms and the profile they provide on each side of the border. Long form features are a very different beast than anything that mostly appears in a daily newspaper especially in sports. I know there is Sportsnet Magazine but it pails in comparison to the profile that say SI and ESPN The Magazine affords. To be honest I think it would be very hard to attract such a writer as Mina in this country for what is a very polarized sports environment.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    So you want mainstream coverage by a mythical new crop of mainstream sports journalists?
    Yes, as has happened in most of the rest of the world.

We get our general sports columnists mostly out of guys who followed local hockey or basketball at the beginning of their careers. They are steeped in the culture of the games they grew up with and can not see beyond that culture to the humans involved and to the essence of games they are uncomfortable with.

I am thankful for people like Molinaro, Riccio and Armstrong (hope she gets a job somewhere) and even Larson who tell it like it is but are attuned to the role of TFC in the game as a whole as enjoyed in this city.

But the mainstream generic sports columnists in this country are REALLY REALLY backward. And I for one am going to call them out for that (in a place they won't see or really care about ).

Oh, and well said Red CB. The form does make a difference. And Kimes does come from a business journalist background (although her knowledge of the way plays unfold in the NFL is staggering in its detail).

Sportsnet Magazine is folding BTW. So we will be left with 10 paragraph spouting lazy general interest sports columnists who will wax poetic on the code of their sport and the beat guys who toil in the content mines.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-05-2016 at 11:04 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    The thought process behind challenging the character of mainstream journalists that give the team attention at a peak moment in its history is pretty puzzling to say the least.

It would be like a "Support Local Football" movement that finally gets non-regular fans to come out and someone starts a chant to single them out that amounts to "Who the hell are you and where the hell were you? We don't need your bloody support" (doesn't rhyme I know but that's why I'm no longer on songs and chants committee)

Mainstream coverage wanted.
    Mainstream coverage achieved.
    Mainstream journalists criticized for not being there earlier.
    Should totally endear them to ongoing soccer coverage next year when when its game 23 of a regular season. Totally going to do that. Great plan, umm Sherlock was it?

Puzzling.

A different approach would be to say thank you for joining to help support our boys and the club. Appreciate the effort at this exciting time. Please continue.
    You're puzzled pretty easily, Pook. I love your ongoing stance that such a small number of peeps here may influence mainstream but I'll remind (?to them reading?) that a discussion forum will cover a spectrum of views.

Little surprise that those so entrenched in the game for so long are critical.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After this weekend, with both Toronto and Montreal meeting up in the MLS Eastern Conference Final, will TSN sit back and go OOOOOHHHHH FUUUUUUUCK!!!!! after deciding not to pick up the option for league rights across Canada starting next year?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    After this weekend, with both Toronto and Montreal meeting up in the MLS Eastern Conference Final, will TSN sit back and go OOOOOHHHHH FUUUUUUUCK!!!!! after deciding not to pick up the option for league rights across Canada starting next year?
    I for one don't want them to pick it up!! CBC is the best possible outcome! Our ratings will skyrocket with a regular channel with widespread national coverage!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be SO happy if TFC is available on antenna again! Please please CBC! Plus they may stream it for everyone as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is radio coverage of a game new? A friend listened to last night on TSN 1050, I'd never heard of a game broadcast before.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Is radio coverage of a game new? A friend listened to last night on TSN 1050, I'd never heard of a game broadcast before.
    They broadcast games all season. Unless there is a rights conflict.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, thanks. Only once had the need and couldn't find it (didn't look hard though) this season. Good to know, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its great getting all the extra coverage,but i still cringe when i hear FC ,the toronto fc,and we are a niche thing.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    its great getting all the extra coverage,but i still cringe when i hear FC ,the toronto fc,and we are a niche thing.
    Same here, every time I hear FC I ask witch one,get stupid look and question what do I mean by witch one,Toronto of course.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Yeah, I can't believe that still happens.
    Heck, I even get annoyed when they constantly say "Toronto FC" during games.
    I mean, why not just say "Toronto"?
    Are they afraid we will forget we're watching soccer?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Yeah, I can't believe that still happens.
    Heck, I even get annoyed when they constantly say "Toronto FC" during games.
    I mean, why not just say "Toronto"?
    Are they afraid we will forget we're watching soccer?
    Like The Reds? Which Reds? Cincinnatti?
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC’s stars, notably Sebastian Giovinco, Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley, all shone brightly on Sunday night in a game that seemed part-brawl at times, giving the team personality to those, like myself, who haven’t watched much before.

I thought the highlighted part of Damien Cox's article was interesting. To him it's a team that literally fights, or verges on fighting, that gives it "personality." How hockey can you get?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those near the tv during the dinner hour, Mr. Larson will be on the CTV news at 6:50 pm this evening.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    TFC’s stars, notably Sebastian Giovinco, Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley, all shone brightly on Sunday night in a game that seemed part-brawl at times, giving the team personality to those, like myself, who haven’t watched much before.

I thought the highlighted part of Damien Cox's article was interesting. To him it's a team that literally fights, or verges on fighting, that gives it "personality." How hockey can you get?
    So many of the media voices are permanent puckheads. It took them eons to adjust to hoops and the Raptors. Adjust to soccer? I thought that Wileman and Caldwell and KJ did a fine job of covering the game at Yankee Stadium. KJ's interview of Osorio, where Osorio said that having a Canadian team in the Cup final would not be special, it would have to be Toronto to qualify as special, was a highlight. But it is sad that Canadian sports media do not have homegrown voices often (Rauter and Sutton did the Montreal game, but Rauter has been around for eons...)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loved watching Joe Tilley tonight on the CTV News using the "Bloody Big Deal" slogan to describe the Reds performance last night.