Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WestStandGeoff View Post
    Probably not much... main difference is we'd be dealing with are shrieks of homophobia instead of sexism. But yeah, mostly the same professionally outraged and offended crowd.
    Maybe if the genders were reversed, as in the tfc fan were the female and the impact fan was male, would there be cries of sexism towards men? I think the argument would still be yes if we want to maintain equality. I don't think the act of oral is sexist on its own. It's more the implications that in this poster the one performing oral is beneath the one receiving.

Then again no point in talking hypotheticals. I think the worst part is likely the sexual content in a family environment.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    So I looked at the article from the globe on everyone's favourite banner...

At that top they have a picture of Osorio who is described as "TFC midfielder Chris Mannella (20)". While I can't blame them for being off a single number, a simple look at the team sheet would have saved their bacon. The 5th estate is a struggling enterprise these days. It's only a matter of time before our shame is displaced by a really cute cat video.
    Close. It seems to be dead Reindeer struck by lightning. So far. I LOVE the future!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    So I looked at the article from the globe on everyone's favourite banner...

At that top they have a picture of Osorio who is described as "TFC midfielder Chris Mannella (20)". While I can't blame them for being off a single number, a simple look at the team sheet would have saved their bacon. The 5th estate is a struggling enterprise these days. It's only a matter of time before our shame is displaced by a really cute cat video.
    This is likely the fault of the photographer, who named Osorio incorrectly in the cutline that was submitted to the publication. This happens fairly often. It's an "attention to detail" issue. It's not something an editor at a news outlet would double check. They'd just rely on the photographer to get the name right.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star article on the sign and reactions - ignore the SEO catching headline - the point of the article is in the first sentence

Balanced article over all.

Female Toronto FC fans are urging women and girls who support the team to continue doing so, despite two high-profile sexist incidents involving Reds supporters in the last two seasons.
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...ceful-act.html

One thing in that article - the sign was reported to security BEFORE the match started. Club security will be in big shit for that mess up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder why the media has yet to pick up on the number of people, men and women alike, who've been walking in and out of the Rogers Centre the past year or so with "I Love BJs" across their shirt?.....
    Or is that ok because its the Blue Jay crowd and not these hooligan soccer fans?.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Wonder why the media has yet to pick up on the number of people, men and women alike, who've been walking in and out of the Rogers Centre the past year or so with "I Love BJs" across their shirt?.....
    Or is that ok because its the Blue Jay crowd and not these hooligan soccer fans?.....
    If you really want to go down the road of discussing why that poster was misogynistic and saying you like BJ's isn't, we can do that.

Here you go, courtesy of somebody on redditt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If you really want to go down the road of discussing why that poster was misogynistic and saying you like BJ's isn't, we can do that.

all supporters of both teams and of 'competing' sports need to stop bickering and focus on the issue at hand, which is sexism still needs to be stamped out of sports culture.

I heard one caller on 590 saying they would never take their kids to TFC but are okay with jays and leafs. He has clearly not gone to leafs game on sat night and seen all the trash that the flows out of there and into union station. Or been witness to many of the Jays upper deck drunk brawls

This cant be about soccer vs other sports. this is a cultural issue that needs to be addressed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    That makes sense. They were intentionally overzealous with their policing efforts for the playoff game because they knew how badly they fucked up the previous game. My point about the lack of police presence was for the finale. They stepped it up, badly, for the playoff game. That led to the beating of our fans as they left the stadium.
    I see that now, my mistake. Don't get my wrong, they are hypocrites and full of shit most of the time. That was maybe the one aspect they got right.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Willing to bet it's because what you are describing is double entendre rather than the aforementioned banner that upon close inspection seems to hold one single entendre.

But yeah, hooligans. If that banner was in 112 it would have been up for 30 seconds tops.

I'll let that last joke write its self.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Willing to bet it's because what you are describing is double entendre rather than the aforementioned banner that upon close inspection seems to hold one single entendre.

But yeah, hooligans. If that banner was in 112 it would have been up for 30 seconds tops.

I'll let that last joke write its self.
    "Sucks" is still a double entendre though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    "Sucks" is still a double entendre though
    indeed, but you could argue they demonstrated only one interpretation.

I won't lie, part of me hates this cause it's crass but most of me hates it cause it's so terribly not clever.

Compare that to they "if we can't have nice things why should they?" banner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

yes. Exactly. Q.E.D.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious, but if the two-stick had shown a woman in BDSM TFC gear and a man in blue gimp regalia on his knees in front of her, would that make the same impression? Or would that be just taken as misandry instead of misogyny?
    Last edited by Initial B; 08-31-2016 at 07:01 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Just curious, but if the two-stick had shown a woman in BDSM TFC gear and a man in blue gimp regalia on his knees in front of her, would that make the same impression? Or would that be just taken as misandry instead of misogyny?
    You do sound curious.

How about we head back to the myriad talking points about the game?

I'm glad some people (not specifically quoted above) are learning lots but these what ifs are getting into an off topic or on topic on some other forum.

EDIT: Was going to put a 50 shades review here but decided against it.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-31-2016 at 07:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you have to consider such questions if we're going to accept the male/female power dynamic narrative as being the motivation behind the display. What if it was a guy blowing another guy? Would be be discussing lewd displays or gay oppression? I'm not saying this because I want to discuss it, rather providing an example that if you have an axe to grind, people will find a way to do it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you have to consider such questions if we're going to accept the male/female power dynamic narrative as being the motivation behind the display. What if it was a guy blowing another guy? Would be be discussing lewd displays or gay oppression? I'm not saying this because I want to discuss it, rather providing an example that if you have an axe to grind, people will find a way to do it.
    Um wait...

We should now debate the semantics of what is and is not objective. Because clearly there's a consensus we're this close to nailing down.
    Which is the piss take?

I agree with your "axe to grind" angle but raise you a "but compared to this offense it's not so bad, therefore it's ok, riiiiight?".

So... Seba is out and Canada plays without Willy Johnson in 2 days. Ricketts to pot a brace!
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-31-2016 at 09:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol there's a consistent point in there, I assure you.

That is: all of this is an exercise in futility. Wherever you set the threshold, somebody will get offended and make a media issue out of it.

On another note, I hope we get to see some more J-Ham minutes in the next month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol there's a consistent point in there, I assure you.

That is: all of this is an exercise in futility. Wherever you set the threshold, somebody will get offended and make a media issue out of it.

On another note, I hope we get to see some more J-Ham minutes in the next month.
    this is my debate as well, you just worded it much better lol.....

goes back to the subjective nature of what is "offensive".....could there be an instance of something that is universally offensive? Sure, but that just shows that eventually everyone has a break point.
    Doesn't look like this was the case here.....

Not much more to say on this for me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

So... Seba is out and Canada plays without Willy Johnson in 2 days. Ricketts to pot a brace!
    Seba's injury will be a good test of character for the team getting ready for the playoffs, and it looks like his time missed will be minimal. so here's hoping that's true!

Huge match Friday.....great way to roll into a long weekend.....hopefully we can get a result and Ricketts decent form form for TFC follows him to the NT.
    Though a bit discouraging to read that Osorio and now Johnson are basically being blackballed by Floro......Osorio for what happened in the Gold Cup a couple years back and Johnson for skipping out on some friendlies (iirc) earlier this year.
    Canada needs their best players to suit up, and short of any major transgressions, it should be the case.
    I think Floro is being a bit too much of a tough guy here....
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 08-31-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, it looked like a well deserved red card to me, especially after seeing it again. In the initial replay in the video, I see the play stopped, and Mallace came running on a line straight at Beits, with a very intentional step in for a cheap shot. Some TFC players were running back to defend, but Montreal players were all walking up, except Mallace who comes bombing in and lays Beitashour down hard. MLS panel disagrees and rescinds the red.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...-calum-mallace