Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can Vancouver offer them in return?

I would imagine that Ricketts will get taken and traded back to us. At least Im hoping that... Im kinda surprised that he was protected since he's saved our asses in the clutch a number of times.

What is the date of this shitshow, anyway?
    Last edited by woolly; 12-12-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh on the protected list but Ricketts off the list? Looking at Ricketts performance, especially over the last month, I would take Ricketts every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    What can Vancouver offer them in return?

I would imagine that Ricketts will get taken and traded back to us. At least Im hoping that... Im kinda surprised that he was protected since he's saved our asses in the clutch a number of times.
    2017 first rounder? Tons of allocation?

They would be thrilled from a cap POV to replace Barnes, who makes $700K, with Ricketts.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts is certainly a dare. Not many but a Canadian team would use an International slot for him if they look at his entire stay here. I hope the bluff works out. I only got the Johnson kit this year because I thought Ricketts would be with us for a while....
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    2017 first rounder? Tons of allocation?

They would be thrilled from a cap POV to replace Barnes, who makes $700K, with Ricketts.
    Thanks Ensco, that's a perfectly legit answer.

Fuck.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Thanks Ensco, that's a perfectly legit answer.

Fuck.
    Worse, Barnes is an international, Ricketts isn't (for them)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worse, Barnes is an international, Ricketts isn't (for them)
    Ok, now you're just twisting the knife.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I'd much rather lose Ricketts than Irwin, for the simple reason that one is an important starter and one is a sub. Ricketts has defied all expectations and his pace has been such a weapon but I won't feel assured with a kid carrying the team in goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I have to think that the top targets from our team would have to be Beitashour or Ricketts. If we lose Irwin, then they are both protected, and that doesn't make much sense as Irwin is not as much of a hot commodity.

I can see Beitashour going. Solid RB's are rare in this league, and even at the price point I'm assuming that the expansion clubs will have lots of Garber bucks to pay it down with.

Thats what Im hoping, anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    To be honest, I'd much rather lose Ricketts than Irwin, for the simple reason that one is an important starter and one is a sub. Ricketts has defied all expectations and his pace has been such a weapon but I won't feel assured with a kid carrying the team in goal.
    Yah I love Ricketts but we need stability in net. Also Ricketts is a terrible passer. He can punch thru late game defenses like the kool aid man and get some good shots but man if he tries to pass / cross say goodbye to that possession.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    Yah I love Ricketts but we need stability in net. Also Ricketts is a terrible passer. He can punch thru late game defenses like the kool aid man and get some good shots but man if he tries to pass / cross say goodbye to that possession.
    Love that mental image...

So if we lose Ricketts, is Hamilton ready to step into the role as killer sub yet?

Also in the equation... If we lose Ricketts to the Whitecaps, how many goals will he score against us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good run TFC...... I don't see the Caps going for Ricketts, they just extended the contract of the speedy but bulging the onion bag shy Hurtado. It's believed Barnes will go, they feel obliged to give the non MLS quality Kudo another season, Techera is unlikely to be bought out, and they will be bringing in a few strikers. Ricketts is good but I don't see an international slot from Atlanta or Minn. Impact's Oduro must want to go overseas or he will be snapped up. TFC did a good job filling out the roster with ready for minutes players compared to some big blunders by Robbo.
    Last edited by Capfan; 12-12-2016 at 03:58 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be very sad to lose Ricketts, based on salary, position, results, and his personal history. We desperately need offensive options outside of Giovinco & Altidore, so I don't want to lose one of those options. We haven't seen Hamilton in a while, but he seemed too inconsistent especially in terms of effort. (I remember Cheyrou chewing out Hamilton for that reason the last time he was on the field.)

But notthesun explained that we had to protect 3 internationals, otherwise for sure Ricketts should have been protected over Endoh. There isn't really anyone else on the protected list that I would want to lose rather than Ricketts; it's a tough one.

That's the downside of not having so many crappy overpaid international players anymore. That used to be the hallmark of TFC... :-/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protecting Endoh - argggg... total waste IMO. Johnson - Rickets - Irwin should all be with TFC next season somehow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Protecting Endoh - argggg... total waste IMO. Johnson - Rickets - Irwin should all be with TFC next season somehow.
    They had no choice tbf. Min of 3 internationals had to be protected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see Beitashour getting picked.

Maybe Mark Bloom, as well. His family is in Florida, he used to play in Atlanta and he is under 100k.

I don't think either side will pick Irwin, but if the do, I think Bono will be alright.
    Last edited by wopchop; 12-12-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all expected Orlando to take Bloom for similar reasons and they didn't.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    We all expected Orlando to take Bloom for similar reasons and they didn't.
    Well that and the name combination has a certain cachet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will eat my hat if Beitashour is taken. The relative value of Irwin or Ricketts is higher.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Well that and the name combination has a certain cachet.
    Take a bow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Couchy81 View Post
    The cross he looped onto Jozy's forehead in the 2nd OT and tapping it over to Bradley to setup the 2nd goal in Montreal I would say were not so terrible.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    The opposite could be argued as well. I hoped if not expected from Ricketts watching him for Canada but the way Irwin barely got his start back from Kid Bono re-evaluates him IMO.

I want to keep em all but of the two, Irwin is not on the up and is still in a comeback stage for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irwin v Ricketts is a very tough call.

Based on recent form, it's Ricketts in a walk. The guy has been fantastic. But I haven't totally forgotten his body of CMNT work, which doesn't exactly suggest that he can be impactful like this over the long run.

Irwin is kind of the opposite - he has a better long term body of work, but he didn't come up with a single save against Montreal, and looked shaky in other games in the second half of the year.

Either could easily come back to haunt us.

btw Irwin being available makes me think that exposing him means that TFC still have their first rounder (perhaps that was the condition, if they protected him Colorado got the pick), which also makes me think that pick will get traded tomorrow, if it can be used to try to retain whichever one of these guys moves. But it's only 25th overall or whatever, it's weak currency.

I think Ricketts will be the one who gets claimed, he's the one who has been performing in the shop window. It's a "what have you done for me lately" world.

It'll take a lot to get him off whoever takes him, and we are unlikely to be able to compete if someone will offer a decent first rounder.

I don't think Bez is getting any sleep tonight, phones in every team office will be going all night as Atlanta and Minnesota run these auctions. This is a huge day tomorrow.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-12-2016 at 05:57 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really fckin nuts that almost all our Canadian players still count as internationals in the US, which greatly affects their options, trade value, etc. Yet those same Canadians that are protected from the Expansion Draft, don't count as one the the three Internationals that we have to protect. Hence Endoh getting protected, instead of the more valuable Ricketts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irwin v Ricketts is a very tough call.

Based on recent form, it's Ricketts in a walk. The guy has been fantastic. But I haven't totally forgotten his body of CMNT work, which doesn't exactly suggest that he can be impactful like this over the long run.

Irwin is kind of the opposite - he has a better long term body of work, but he didn't come up with a single save against Montreal, and looked shaky in other games in the second half of the year.

Either could easily come back to haunt us.

btw Irwin being available makes me think that exposing him means that TFC still have their first rounder (perhaps that was the condition, if they protected him Colorado got the pick), which also makes me think that pick will get traded tomorrow, if it can be used to try to retain whichever one of these guys moves. But it's only 25th overall or whatever, it's weak currency.

I think Ricketts will be the one who gets claimed, he's the one who has been performing in the shop window. It's a "what have you done for me lately" world.

It'll take a lot to get him off whoever takes him, and we are unlikely to be able to compete if someone will offer a decent first rounder.

I don't think Bez is getting any sleep tonight, phones in every team office will be going all night as Atlanta and Minnesota run these auctions. This is a huge day tomorrow.
    Fair assessment. I think Ricketts could be the most likely and tempting for either team.

Definitely don't want to see him go.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another guy that I predict there will be an auction for is Gideon Baah, unless Atlanta or Minnesota just keep him.

He's much better value than Beitashour, even though he's an international and coming off an injury. He is a stud, 25 years old, a potential cornerstone piece. Very surprised to see him unprotected.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-12-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another way I can see tomorrow playing out is Bez making a move along the lines of the draft pick, TAM and probably an international spot to bring back whoever we lose tomorrow

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like SI.com did a mock draft. http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016...ited-minnesota

They think Bloom might go to Atlanta.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SBNation thinks Beits might be taken by Minnisota
    http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2016/...ted-mock-draft

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Beitashour isn't taken I think that we will waive and re-sign him.