Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Expansion Draft 2017

I really wish MLS moved beyond this, but alas, with Minnesota and Atlanta joining next season, we may lose a player or two.

Automatically Protected (HGP and GA):
    Bono
    Osorio
    Morgan

Babouli
    Chapman
    Mannella
    Hamilton
    Roberts

Protect:

Bradley
    Altidore
    Giovinco
    Moor
    Zavaleta
    Morrow
    Beita
    Will Johnson
    Irwin
    Delgado
    Endoh or Ricketts

I am hoping Ricketts and Endoh do not get chosen because of their international status. Cooper we won't need to protect as he is on loan. Cheyrou, I would hate to lose but he isn't getting younger and we will need to find a replacement either way.

If someone is picked I would probably protect Josh Williams or Nick Hagglund next. It's a real shame to lose anyone, since I really like our squad and the squad has been cohesive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Delgado might still count as a HG actually. But I believe Osorio is no longer covered as he has signed a new contract.

I could see a team going for Simonin or Lovitz or Bloom. They won't pick old guys like Cheyrou and they are unlikely to take internationals like Ricketts or Endoh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morgan is also on his 2nd contract so we'll have to expose him.

But they might tweak the parameters of the draft a little bit. I'm going to wait until they announce all the details before trying to determine exactly what we should do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Morgan is also on his 2nd contract so we'll have to expose him.

But they might tweak the parameters of the draft a little bit. I'm going to wait until they announce all the details before trying to determine exactly what we should do.
    Didn't we hand him a second contract before the 2015 expansion draft? (NYCFC and Orlando). He was automatically protected for that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Didn't we hand him a second contract before the 2015 expansion draft? (NYCFC and Orlando). He was automatically protected for that.
    Correct. Also worth noting Delgado was automatically protected for us as a homegrown even though he signed his deal with Chivas USA. If we can do that again then I wouldn't care about any of the players we leave unprotected. We would only lose some easily replaceable depth players.

Expansion Draft rules from last time: http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...on-draft-rules

Who we protected: http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2014/12...xpansion-draft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure Cheyrou's contract ends this year and we most likely wont resign him so another person is going to be unprotected.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Johnson also only signed for 1 year. If cooper performs well, TFC will sign him permanently, and one of Osorio or Delgado will be left unprotected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we need to protect any of the DP's ? Wouldn't they all have had something in their contracts regarding no trade clause? Just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ou8jonesy View Post
    Do we need to protect any of the DP's ? Wouldn't they all have had something in their contracts regarding no trade clause? Just curious.
    They probably have some sort of No-Move Protection, but in that case we would likely be forced to use one of the protected slots on the.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say their salaries probably make no-move clauses in their contracts unnecessary, but could be standard part of the language in DP contracts.

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me that we have traded DPs before. Thinking Laba and Gilberto. That might be different than a draft though - although I also think their salaries would make it unnecessary.

Unless, of course, one of the teams was to grab Giovinco to get a draft pick or some TAM or other *AM back from us in trade - ala the Lovitz move when NYCFC grabbed him then traded him back the same day for Garber Bucks.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC leaving Giovinco unprotected would be the most epic story in sports history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco unprotected = #ManningOut #BezOut #VanneyOut #FanbaseGone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    There would actually be a protest outside of MLSE HQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm not mistaken didn't Montreal get someone in the expansion draft a few years ago that didn't want to play for them and was traded back for some allocation money?

The player doesn't have to play for the team that selects them in the draft.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If I'm not mistaken didn't Montreal get someone in the expansion draft a few years ago that didn't want to play for them and was traded back for some allocation money?

The player doesn't have to play for the team that selects them in the draft.
    It was Brian Ching.

Player gets fined and disciplined for not reporting in to their new team
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I believe Johnson also only signed for 1 year. If cooper performs well, TFC will sign him permanently, and one of Osorio or Delgado will be left unprotected.
    I don't know. The more I look at the Cooper move the more I think it's a short term thing and Bez actually intends to sign someone better next season when we have more cap room. According to reports from before the trade deadline, when we were evaluating attacking mid options within the league we refused to trade our young players to get a deal done. I think management thinks really highly of a lot of our young guys and I think they'll do whatever possible to retain them through the expansion draft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think that the MLS wouldn't want to rock the boat with any of their high profile DPs. I could just see the scenario of Gio being told he is moving to Minni/St. Paul. His response - next flight to Italy.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    There would actually be a protest outside of MLSE HQ.
    I think people would come with flares and burn the place down.

Seriously, zero chance that would happen.

OTOH TFC kept Julian de Guzman (who didn't have a "no trade" clause) unprotected several times hoping some FO would be suckered into taking him.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I think people would come with flares and burn the place down.

Seriously, zero chance that would happen.

OTOH TFC kept Julian de Guzman (who didn't have a "no trade" clause) unprotected several times hoping some FO would be suckered into taking him.
    Agree. Gio will only leave TFC if he asks to go. It's up to him.

I do wonder whether TFC would expose Bradley or Altidore.

Not sure what Manning's mandate re payroll is.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Delgado might still count as a HG actually. But I believe Osorio is no longer covered as he has signed a new contract.

I could see a team going for Simonin or Lovitz or Bloom. They won't pick old guys like Cheyrou and they are unlikely to take internationals like Ricketts or Endoh.
    I think we are going trade Bloom to Atlanta United for GAM and a promise not to take any players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    I think we are going trade Bloom to Atlanta United for GAM and a promise not to take any players.
    We said the same thing 2 years ago about him and Orlando. I'd rather they didn't take him but if they must, I'd rather they draft him.

Not sure he has the ties to down south he used to have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll get some extra allocation money next year for qualifying for the CCL. Maybe we can send some of that off to Atlanta or Minnesota in exchange for keeping some of our guys, like we did with Lovitz and NYCFC. Remember, NYCFC took Lovitz in the draft and then we immediately traded allocation to NYCFC to get him back. It was doubly effective since after a player is picked you can protect one of your unprotected guys with that slot, which I believe at the time we used to protect Bloom.

We'll probably have a few good young players that will have to be left unprotected, so maybe we can do this again and hold onto more or even all of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are we sure an expansion draft will be taking place? I thought it was going the way of to dodo bird?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Are we sure an expansion draft will be taking place? I thought it was going the way of to dodo bird?
    There was some talk of that, but MNUFC's technical director said they're expecting an expansion draft so it sounds like it's going to happen.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an NASL fan I am curious about all of this.
    Does MinUtd and MLS have to buy out all of the contracts of current NASL players? What if a player with an MinUtd existing contract did not want to play in MLS?
    Would MinUtd, since they have a team currently, start with a roster of players under contract and then as they select a player from an established MLS team they would drop a player from their existing roster effectively making them a free agent?

There are just so many permutations and combinations possible. MinUtd has a pretty good NASL player in Christian Ramirez and I am curious to know what the options will be for him next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    As an NASL fan I am curious about all of this.
    Does MinUtd and MLS have to buy out all of the contracts of current NASL players? What if a player with an MinUtd existing contract did not want to play in MLS?
    Would MinUtd, since they have a team currently, start with a roster of players under contract and then as they select a player from an established MLS team they would drop a player from their existing roster effectively making them a free agent?

There are just so many permutations and combinations possible. MinUtd has a pretty good NASL player in Christian Ramirez and I am curious to know what the options will be for him next season.
    They would presumably have to go through the same process Orlando went through. They're going to have to sign any players they currently have and want to keep to new MLS deals that starts in January, everyone else's contract will automatically expire when MinUTD's season ends because they're effectively going extinct at that level. I believe that's how it would work anyway, USL is a little different because they would have had almost all of their players on rolling 1 year contracts. Minnesota might run into issues regarding long-term contracts, but I doubt they have many of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Each team makes 5 picks so down from 10 last time.

Protected: 11 + Homegrown + GA

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news. And only 1 player can be selected per team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup just read over the rules.
    biggest take away:
    5 rounds
    11 players protected
    clubs can only lose 1 player.
    No trades during draft.