Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling the two Uniteds are going to get a load of Garber bucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See the full rules here: http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/conten...nd-regulations

There are some things to keep an eye on. First, there's a minimum of international players that must be protected depending on how many international players you have. We have 5 (Cheyrou, Simonin, Giovinco, Endoh, Cooper), so we have to protect 3 of them. Even if Cheyrou retires, leaving us with 4, we still have to protect 3.

The rules also state that if a supplementary or reserve roster slot player is picked, the club that selected him has to offer him a senior roster slot/contract. So basically, picking a bench level player is even less enticing for Minnesota and Atlanta (although with only 5 selections being made each, I doubt many bench level players will be chosen).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what to expect form TFC in the expansion draft (second item) http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/16...at-their-words

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Here's what to expect form TFC in the expansion draft (second item) http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/16...at-their-words
    Thanks. I think maybe Beitashour at his age/salary will be exposed. Endoh has to be one they protect, just given he was a first round pick this year, and has shown flashes.

From the remaining names, suspect Delgado has to be protected too.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-16-2016 at 07:01 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Thanks. I think maybe Beitashour at his age/salary will be exposed. Endoh has to be one they protect, just given he was a first round pick this year, and has shown flashes.

From the remaining names, suspect Delgado has to be protected too.
    Then they better find a new, solid right back pretty quick. Took them a long time to find this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/09/16...at-their-words

For those wondering why Babouli isn't protected, I was told the league doesn't consider him homegrown. I'm not sure why. Age? Length of time in academy?

Bono is expected to remain a GA in 2017, though the league will make that decision at the end of the year.

Osorio is NOT considered a homegrown signing.

Ashtone Morgan remains HG as he was on TFC's off-budget roster (spots 20-28) this season.

Delgado is a strange one. He was still considered HG in 2014. But, not anymore for TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Jozy is left unprotected to try to save someone like Delgado do you think any team in the league has the desire and money to pick Jozy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    If Jozy is left unprotected to try to save someone like Delgado do you think any team in the league has the desire and money to pick Jozy?
    The money? Sure, Atlanta does. But I'd be surprised for a number of reasons.
    1) Atlanta already has Jones, who's a similar player.
    2) I do think his price tag would be too much for Minny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then they better find a new, solid right back pretty quick. Took them a long time to find this one.
    You might be right. But I just don't see how you expose Delgado. Young, cheap, serviceable domestics are big cornerstone pieces.

Maybe Johnson is the one to expose, given salary, age, durability questions, and the fact that he's an international in the US.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-16-2016 at 07:42 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might be right. But I just don't see how you expose Delgado. Young, cheap, serviceable domestics are big cornerstone pieces.

Maybe Johnson is the one to expose, given salary, age, durability questions, and the fact that he's an international in the US.
    The strange thing for Johnson is that he's heading into free agency. So, who knows what that might mean. My guess is the league doesn't even know yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the few things to consider:

1. Are Canadians going to be domestics or have some other mechanism in place?
    2. How are Free Agents dealt with?
    3. Will the other teams have a full slate of DP's already?

While I really like the job Zavaleta is doing is he so much of an upgrade over Hagglund/Williams that you protect him and leave Delgado/Endoh/Ricketts exposed?

As far as I can tell we only have 1 (Maybe 2) players on our USL team who could earn 1st team contracts (Edwards, Thomas... outside shot at the new guy John) and how will that effect our depth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC Will Johnson has US citizenship? at least a green card since he's lived in US for a long time
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The strange thing for Johnson is that he's heading into free agency. So, who knows what that might mean. My guess is the league doesn't even know yet.
    How long is Johnson's contract?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Williams is a good backup but every time he's in I know we are going to give up a goal due to positioning. He's better then he was last year with Kantari; but like the rest of the defence, Williams is missing Irwin back there for that one moment per game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suddenly we have a real problem here btw. It's a high class problem, mind, but there is no way now that we're exposing Hagglund or Zavaleta.

So it means not just Endoh, but one or two guys like Johnson, Ricketts, maybe Beitashour, are going to be exposed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh and Cheyrou or Johnson, we're already stacked in midfield and attack.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would protect Ricketts and at someone's expense (never thought I'd say that 4 months ago).

I think you gamble that Cheyrou has the trump card of retiring, Osorio requires an international spot and is on reasonable money, WJ is out of contract. It's hard to believe how much depth we suddenly have. Way too much to protect it all.

I would suspect players like Delgado, Williams or Simonin could be on someone's list. On the less likely side: Endoh or Lovitz. Smart teams use these drafts for cheap supporting pieces and not major salaries or cornerstones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson must stay. I'd expose Endoh, Beitashour, Lovitz, Baboulli

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to keep Ricketts and Cheyrou at minimum at Out of pure respect for what they have done in the post season!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also certain Seba has a no trade clause, wouldn't be surprised if all our DPs did

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fucking hate expansion drafts. This is a worlds sport, you can find players on any continant. Why should we have to give up a player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Johnson must stay. I'd expose Endoh, Beitashour, Lovitz, Baboulli
    I agree 100% with this choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson needs to be exposed. His contract is up and we have a wealth of talent in midfield. Delgado, Osorio, Endoh, Chapman and Cooper can all play his position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

assuming same price johnson is too much in a capped league

of course, he may end up getting less out on the free agency market.

the time off due to injuries are adding up.

really wish there was an injury cap reimbursement of sorts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Johnson needs to be exposed. His contract is up and we have a wealth of talent in midfield. Delgado, Osorio, Endoh, Chapman and Cooper can all play his position.
    Agreed. Protecting a "maybe" asset is questionable.

Plus he wants playing time and lost his spot late in the year. I'm not sure how receptive he will be in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather keep Beitashour over Johnson, we have depth in midfield but not much in defensively strong wing-backs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am beginning to think that Johnson will be left exposed and we cover ourselves with Beitashour protected.

Looking at TFC2 we do have a few contenders to be given a senior contract next year as well.

MF - Chris Mannela (might already be on a senior contract?)
    DF - Skyler Thomas
    MF - Raheem Edwards

These guys could be brought in as depth guys for CCL and ACC, even giving the regulars a break during the MLS season as well.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mannella has an MLS contract already. Thomas isn't ready, but Edwards could move up. He'd basically replace Lovitz, who I don't expect back, though I'm not sure where exactly he would fit in a 3-5-2.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate that we will lose a guy so fast. It could be on Sunday (there is a trade window before the draft Tuesday). We may lose a key guy before he even gets to the victory parade.

Think we can trade our first rounder so that we don't lost anyone?

I really don't want to think about this right not, but the obvious guy who we should expose from the core group in order to protect a key bubble guy is Bradley, if that is possible.

Nobody will just take on that contract ... right?
    Last edited by ensco; 12-05-2016 at 07:56 PM.