Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up The 'Alex Bono is quite a decent keeper' thread

Just thought Bono deserves some big props for his play since taking over for Irwin. Actually raises the question of what TFC should do once Irwin is healthy ... does Bono keep the starting job?

Also, they might have a bit of a dilemma on their hands in the off-season due to the Expansion draft. I think it's quite possible either Minnesota and/or Atlanta would be interested in either Bono/Irwin as a potential starting or back-up keeper, so TFC would have to protect both of them of they wanted to for sure keep both of them, which might leave some of our young, outfield players exposed ...

So should TFC maybe try to trade Bono directly after the season while his stock is high? Or trade Irwin? Or can we realistically keep both?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alex Bono is a Generation Adidas player, he's protected from the Draft automatically.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irwin is 27 - in theory he will be TFC's keeper for 8 years. He will only get better and will eventually be our version of Rimando, possibly with even the USMNT call ups.

Vanney has said and Bono has indicated he agrees that Irwin gets the job when he comes back. Bono is auditioning for a trade to be a starter or a new contract with a team once this one runs out. I would think though they won't trade Bono until they think Q is ready again to be the backup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Bono has played well. Which has honestly surprised me because everything I read about his play with TFC2 was underwhelming. Good for him though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the jury is still out on the kid. He's definitely been a lot better of late, but given his first couple of performances, that doesn't necessarily say a whole lot. It's a keeper's job to make some saves, and he's said as much. Still, positive steps for the future, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Alex Bono is a Generation Adidas player, he's protected from the Draft automatically.
    Okay, well that's good ... so if he does go it will most likely be through a trade.

Though yeah, he does seem like he's auditioning for a starter's position somewhere else ... But oh well, we're benefitting now.

What's the ETA on Irwin?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ever since he let in that bad goal against San Jose, Bono has played very, very well for our side.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I think the jury is still out on the kid. He's definitely been a lot better of late, but given his first couple of performances, that doesn't necessarily say a whole lot. It's a keeper's job to make some saves, and he's said as much. Still, positive steps for the future, for sure.
    Ever since the SJ game, Bono has had couple of shaky moments esp spilling some shots, he's been solid. As good as most MLS starters for most part.
    Early mistakes were nerves and lack of concentration which he seemed to have gotten out of his system hopefully.

Irwin is #1, but Bono as #2 is pretty damn good for depth
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I questioned the decision to go with Bono over Roberts when Irwin went down, and I still kind of do to be honest. But we're far past that point now - Bono has bounced back well from that mistake vs. SJ and shown himself to be good enough to get us by until Irwin returns. Kudos to him.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I questioned the decision to go with Bono over Roberts when Irwin went down, and I still kind of do to be honest. But we're far past that point now - Bono has bounced back well from that mistake vs. SJ and shown himself to be good enough to get us by until Irwin returns. Kudos to him.
    Seconded. Bono would've kept for next season. Q may've seen his last season here to prove himself.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't think of a more agreeable thread title.

The sooner Irwin gets back, the better. But Bono has done a pretty good job (for the most part) convincing me he's a good pick for back-up in goal. Wouldn't be surprised if he sticks around with the club for a while.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a capped league I would trade Irwin in a heartbeat if Bono continues this strong form.

Saving 200K is not insignificant.

Keepers are very easy to find, the cheaper we can get them the better, allocating 200K elsewhere on the pitch would be tremendous given how were pushing for a championship.

EDIT: Hold on, I just realised Clint Irwin is on 107K. I thought it was around 300K.
    Last edited by Richard; 08-21-2016 at 11:59 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

27 year old very good experienced MLS keepers are not easy to find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was all about getting Bono out. His performances not only last night but others as well, has shown me something new. It seems like he's been through a real "make or break" experience with these starting assignments.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keepers are very easy to find, the cheaper we can get them the better, allocating 200K elsewhere on the pitch would be tremendous given how were pushing for a championship.

EDIT: Hold on, I just realised Clint Irwin is on 107K. I thought it was around 300K.
    Yeah, that puts a whole new angle to the topic. Irwin is a fine Goalkeeper AND he's here for a pretty good price. If we were spending big money on him (like over 300K), opinions would probably (and rightly) change on the issue of our starting GK.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's not get carried away here. As good as Bono has been, I would never ride a youngster as #1 GK in a contender team.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need both of them, keepers get injured, give them both minutes, we have tons of games next year..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono has been decent but no doubt that Irwin is #1. He is unarguably a far better keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Hes a GA this year. I would wager that based on the amount he's playing now he'll graduate and not be an automatic protected player. Like most things MLS the rules aren't transparent so we won't find out until the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Hes a GA this year. I would wager that based on the amount he's playing now he'll graduate and not be an automatic protected player. Like most things MLS the rules aren't transparent so we won't find out until the end of the season.
    that's not how it works. He's on a two year contract with a two year team option at the end that we'll presumably pick up. His GA contract lasts four years in total.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    that's not how it works. He's on a two year contract with a two year team option at the end that we'll presumably pick up. His GA contract lasts four years in total.
    Nope, you can graduate from GA before the expiration of your deal based on mins or performance targets being met. Once you graduate you hit the cap and are eligible for the expansion draft.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2014/1...eration-adidas
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2014/1...eration-adidas

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    a player can 'graduate' from GA status pending on how many mins he's played (it's pretty subjective)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

huh. wasn't aware of that. my bad.

that's a really dumb rule though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GA was suppose to be a temporary cap relief thing from MLS 1.0 era. MLS didn't want teams to stock up on GAs to circumvent the cap while playing them in the first team. Parity

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Bono is good, and has gotten much better. Still needs a bit of improvement when high balls come into the box, in terms of decision making (go for it or not), and in terms of being totally ruthless if he does. That is normal though for a keeper of his age & experience. In that context, I liked the way he got there first & punched the ball away on a key play vs. Philadelphia.

Does anyone think Irwin might have stopped the Philly goal last night? It was a great header, but Bono got a good hand to it, and with Irwin's strength & reach, he might have stopped it??? I'm not sure, just guessing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I agree Bono is good, and has gotten much better. Still needs a bit of improvement when high balls come into the box, in terms of decision making (go for it or not), and in terms of being totally ruthless if he does. That is normal though for a keeper of his age & experience. In that context, I liked the way he got there first & punched the ball away on a key play vs. Philadelphia.

Does anyone think Irwin might have stopped the Philly goal last night? It was a great header, but Bono got a good hand to it, and with Irwin's strength & reach, he might have stopped it??? I'm not sure, just guessing.
    I totally agree with all of this.

irwin probably saves that goal but he's a different class of keeper imo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any indication when Irwin is due back?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Journo's told Irwin is likely back for Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post

Maybe just because Irwin is taller with longer arms ... so it's possible.

I'm just wondering if people thought Bono might have trade value if we want to maximize his strong play of late. If Irwin is the uncontested #1 and Roberts is a good-enough back-up? With Bono getting this many minutes now, I don't know if he'll be content to go back to back-upping.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Maybe just because Irwin is taller with longer arms ... so it's possible.

I'm just wondering if people thought Bono might have trade value if we want to maximize his strong play of late. If Irwin is the uncontested #1 and Roberts is a good-enough back-up? With Bono getting this many minutes now, I don't know if he'll be content to go back to back-upping.
    What does TFC need to trade for? Bono is a GA so no cap hit and young. You can get a lot for Bono, but for what?

And if I was Bono, I'd stay with TFC. Probably better chance of winning a trophy. I'd consider moving to another team afterwards for first team mins.

-Eduardo Galeano