Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default American Players on TFC

I have to confess that when it comes too Footy I have developed a real anti American feeling. I like the players we have and had, I like Wyne and Dunny, and I though Goldie gave it his all, but Edu's loyalty to his National Team over TFC irritates me. But partly because of National Teams rivarly with the US, and partly becaue what I am perceving as a negative attitude by American, and American player toward TFC, and partly because I do not like the American approach to the game, I would rather see less and not more Americans on our team.

I am not proud of this, and I think that this is a result of my Canadian nationalism, and our relatioship with the US on one hadn the closests of friend on the other rivals. I do not hate Americans of American players, I just feel like they our natrual sport rivals.

What do you guys think.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you must hate amado
    c'mon you Reds!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Green card?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the beginning I felt the same way but they seem to really like the city and have become attached to Toronto and the club.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Umm, I don't think it's a TFC thing.

Clubs all over the world are having the same issue. The Olympics are a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The chance to put on your country's jersey is a special one.

If anything blame MLS for scheduling games when international games are scheduled.

I don't begrudge those guys one bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I were a player, I'd chose country over club every time. A guy like Edu plays for TFC now, but who knows about the future? but he'll always be an American....

PS - I also think that anti-Americanism of any sort is stupid...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I have to confess that when it comes too Footy I have developed a real anti American feeling. I like the players we have and had, I like Wyne and Dunny, and I though Goldie gave it his all, but Edu's loyalty to his National Team over TFC irritates me. But partly because of National Teams rivarly with the US, and partly becaue what I am perceving as a negative attitude by American, and American player toward TFC, and partly because I do not like the American approach to the game, I would rather see less and not more Americans on our team.

I am not proud of this, and I think that this is a result of my Canadian nationalism, and our relatioship with the US on one hadn the closests of friend on the other rivals. I do not hate Americans of American players, I just feel like they our natrual sport rivals.

What do you guys think.
    Agreed. I didn't really have any problems with Americans until I met some USA soccer fans. I can't believe how anti-Canadian some of these Americans are......It just adds more fuel to my hate towards Americans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    ^^ Green card?
    Yup. He has a green card. The same can be said about Marshall and Cunny (both are from Jamaica) as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll back up trane as far as I think he's just a patriot who wants more Canadians and non Americans on the team. I share that opinion not because its America in particular but substitute any larger neighboring country that has a majority in a league and they will immidiately be resented. I personally don't rate the Olympics but understand the rare occasion for footbalers from any nation. As for green cards wouldn't they have to have them to play in America anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Country over club.. No fault on player for choosing so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not thrilled with the Olympic stuff either, but I bitched just as much when everyone else was doing qualifying stuff for there country.

I will defend the US guys a little more then I should, because I'm a little more defensive with them. I guess I'm becoming a lot like Canadian fans. You guys have an overwhelming passion for "your guys" and a pride in your country that I stated in that whole anthem thread that is second to none. After the second game this year where I saw many other flags being hung up but not the US, I decided to start hanging one behind me. (I still hang it, but the US flag was added to that group going across the west side). Plus, I just got Edwards put on my jersey last week, which I'm pretty sure is the first request for that one.

But, don't worry, I'm just as pissed at Edu's play as everyone else. I'm not that blind.

The rivalry between US & Canada will always be there. Hopefully it stays as passioned, yet friendly as I've seen it.
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    If I were a player, I'd chose country over club every time. A guy like Edu plays for TFC now, but who knows about the future? but he'll always be an American....

PS - I also think that anti-Americanism of any sort is stupid...

I do not blame him either, I would be the same way. I just think that you should have more pride in the club you play for, then Edu seems to display.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Agreed. I didn't really have any problems with Americans until I met some USA soccer fans. I can't believe how anti-Canadian some of these Americans are......It just adds more fuel to my hate towards Americans.
    We don't all feel that way. Can I buy you a beer in a sign of good faith?
    [B]75 Mile Bastards[/B]
    [B]Tailgate Team[/B] [B]Underling[/B]
    [B]Season Ticket Holder 110 Row 33 Seat 9[/B] [B]aka The Bastards' Perch[/B]
    [B]Red Patch Boy through and through. :scarf:[/B][SIZE=6][B][COLOR=SeaGreen]
    [/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Via Buffalo View Post
    I am not thrilled with the Olympic stuff either, but I bitched just as much when everyone else was doing qualifying stuff for there country.

I will defend the US guys a little more then I should, because I'm a little more defensive with them. I guess I'm becoming a lot like Canadian fans. You guys have an overwhelming passion for "your guys" and a pride in your country that I stated in that whole anthem thread that is second to none. After the second game this year where I saw many other flags being hung up but not the US, I decided to start hanging one behind me. (I still hang it, but the US flag was added to that group going across the west side). Plus, I just got Edwards put on my jersey last week, which I'm pretty sure is the first request for that one.

But, don't worry, I'm just as pissed at Edu's play as everyone else. I'm not that blind.

The rivalry between US & Canada will always be there. Hopefully it stays as passioned, yet friendly as I've seen it.

As I said for me it is limited to Football and the pitch, simple as that, there is no real animosity, our countries are too close for that in every other way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are players I don't like because they are douchebags, the fact that they are American doesn't help their cause in my eyes...donovan, hejduk, klestjan, mastroeni etc.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^
    But if they were on TFC they would A-OK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would the Premier league be without players from other countries. Dont blame americans, its major league soccers fucked up schedule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    If anything blame MLS for scheduling games when international games are scheduled.

That is true for WCQ, WC, & Gold Cup but not the Olympics.

Most leagues start up in August the same time as the Olympics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If people hate Americans so much than how come they come support our team playing in an American league? Lets get serious here people. There is no rivalry between us and the Americans aside from some childish comments on the internet message boards like Bigsoccer or whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    There are players I don't like because they are douchebags, the fact that they are American doesn't help their cause in my eyes...donovan, hejduk, klestjan, mastroeni etc.

I am with you, and I am not sure that I woudl be OK if they were on TFC, I do not like the overall style of play and attitude, they think that they are World Class. While they do have quality they need to be more humble and learn.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love that someone like Steve Nash is villified when he chooses not to play internationally and guys like Wynne are being knocked for choosing to play for their country.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with our guys going to the Olympics. Theyre under 23 so we are obligated to release them.

And if the sentiment is simlpy 'theyre American so they arent as dedicated to us as they should be' well, I havent got a rebuttle becuase that is just stupid.

The moaning over Edu's personal website is especially annoying.

MLS is a minor league. International appearances will always take precedence and I dont blame Edu one bit for feeling the same way.

And I hate to agree with Dirk Diggler but if youre making judgements about American soccer fans based on the overwhelming amount of vocal morons on bigsoccer then you should probably get out more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    If people hate Americans so much than how come they come support our team playing in an American league? Lets get serious here people. There is no rivalry between us and the Americans aside from some childish comments on the internet message boards like Bigsoccer or whatever.
    There isn't an indication here that anyone hates America that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    I love that someone like Steve Nash is villified when he chooses not to play internationally and guys like Wynne are being knocked for choosing to play for their country.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with our guys going to the Olympics. Theyre under 23 so we are obligated to release them.

And if the sentiment is simlpy 'theyre American so they arent as dedicated to us as they should be' well, I havent got a rebuttle becuase that is just stupid.

The moaning over Edu's personal website is especially annoying.

MLS is a minor league. International appearances will always take precedence and I dont blame Edu one bit for feeling the same way.

And I hate to agree with Dirk Diggler but if youre making judgements about American soccer fans based on the overwhelming amount of vocal morons on bigsoccer then you should probably get out more.
    Edu is the only player who currenlty plays for us, whom I have concenrs about. But in general I do not like the attitude of Americans toward Toronto and TFC. I have heard alot of negative nationalist shit in the stand from visitng supporters.

My concern is that American players will not have the loyalty to the club needed, day in and day out. I want this franchise to be the franchise in the MLS, and for that we need players that want this to happend, not who just see this as another team, on par with Columbus and Salt Lake.

One of the reason we have BMO, and TFC by connection is to develop football in Canada, and for the National team, at this point we are doing as much to develop the US National team.

I do not HATE Americans, or the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, what difference does it make if the American players don't display constant loyalty towards TFC (which is complete speculation anyways). TFC is still a very new club with no history. What kinda loyalty can one expect? I mean look at Ronaldo. The kid clearly has no loyalty towards ManUre what so ever. Do you think any Man U fans cared about that last season when he won them the double? This is the kind of topic that people probably discussed 30 years ago when the Jays came to town. It should be a non-topic by now.

And btw ilikemusic, why do you hate to agree with me ?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You just always seem to be a contrarian, and sometimes it seems unjustified. Thats all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Via Buffalo View Post
    We don't all feel that way. Can I buy you a beer in a sign of good faith?
    If I pretend to hate Americans, will you buy me a beer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The likes of Edu and Wynne are not likely to evolve into better players by playing in the MLS day in and day out. It's the international competitions that will force them to step up their game, learn and evolve. The hope is that they bring a higher game back to TFC. So far TFC's experience with international commitments has been overwhelmingly negative -- see Sutton last year.

I think this is where Carver's policy about fighting for you place is a good thing. No one can come back from international duty saying "I'm a full international, put me in!" They have to fight with the Smith's and Ibrahim's of the world to prove they are better than, not equal to the person who filled the spot while they were out wearing the national kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our club plays in an American league, end of. We can and should want more Canadian players but you can't fault management for selecting American players. To me it's kinda like a comparison to (can't believe I'm sayin' this) Cardiff City. There is a Welsh league but no one watches it so Cardiff supporters follow a team in the larger English loops. We have the CSL still going strong but not many get behind it, so we support a team playing in an American league. Personally, I watch a lot of CSL and would love to see it take off as a national league with big crowds and developing Canadian internationals but that's not going to happen anytime soon, so MLS and American players it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    You just always seem to be a contrarian, and sometimes it seems unjustified. Thats all.
    Why thank you. That's quite a compliment in my eyes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact of the matter is that you'll find ignorant people everywhere, including....yep.....Canada. We tend to notice the (minority) of arrogant, abrasive people more than the (majority) of respectful individuals.

As far as the American players on TFC...why wouldn't they play for their country? As a Canadian, I'd be honoured to play for my country in any sport.