Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    There are a HECK of lot of soccer isn't a real sport types who are under 40 and in sports journalism in this town. Guys like Bruce Arthur, who doesn't actively fear the sport like Damien Cox but still can't take it seriously ever because he sees something that is beyond his moral code.

Something to remember is that Canadian professional sports is obsessed with the idea of "doing the right thing", with "following the code" - and these journos, all though the younger ones will say it doesn't mean anything, they are steeped in the idea of sports has to be done the "right way". (Don't get me started on the Olympics being sold as nice Canadians with great moms and dads versus the machines of Russia and China and all the morally ambiguous others)

What I hear from this young group is the faking of a bad injury is the issue for them - they grew up with the ambiguities of the moral codes found within hockey and basketball and football and baseball but judge the faking of an injury they see in soccer as something that makes the game not worth their time. Given the diving and whining and cheating and...yes....fake injuries we see in hockey, basketball, baseball and football, I don't get it.

I like what Alexi Lalas has said about this

a) Soccer is only going to get bigger in North America - its not going away

b) the old Dinosaurs, just let em go...they are nonredeemable and not worth the time

c) but he has all the time in the world for any journalist who doesn't understand the game but wants to come and talk to him

d) because if you want to be a young dinosaur and say you despise soccer, you are cutting yourself off of future prospects as a journalist

Look, we don't know if TFC and the fan base can keep these current good feelings going. But we do know that there is a HUGE story going on sports wise in this town right now, and its not the Jays chasing Baltimore, its not the Leafs new phenom, its the best player on the continent is right here and he's making his team play better as a unit and 27K of people, from diverse backgrounds, are showing up for an organic good time.
    That won't be given the big sell on Rogers Sports Radio when their main business is to pump up the 2 things you have made hundreds of millions of investments in. But it should at least get you a discussion point about "So why are so many people showing up to see this again?" And it should make the younger "I can't stand soccer" journos think twice cause something is happening in local Toronto professional soccer again and if its done right, they will ignore this at the peril of their future livelihoods.
    Well said..i just stopped watching,listening and reading these dinosaurs.and i feel great about that,for me the best sport experience in this city by far is a saturday night BMO win or lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some free tickets in 208, first time sitting in the new second deck. I was surprised at how full it was. I imagine there were a fair number of comped tickets. I know we got 12 for free.

Southend sounded awesome. A lot of people watching the chaos down there as much as the actual game lol. Most fun I've had at a game since... I don't know.

Lost a brand new hat thanks to Seba's 3rd goal. It was worth tossing it.

I'll definitely be sitting up there again. Love the view.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Amazing game

WTF was uo with the GO? Hourly and late, what shitty service
    Heard some GO employee say something about hourly service due to construction or something.

And the GO being late/delayed is nothing out of the ordinary. lol
    Last edited by Brooker; 08-07-2016 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    People who watch Cricket are Nazis
    Very inappropriate and should be warned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Banning cricket is a bit over the top, if I must say so myself.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Got some free tickets in 208, first time sitting in the new second deck. I was surprised at how full it was. I imagine there were a fair number of comped tickets. I know we got 12 for free.

Southend sounded awesome. A lot of people watching the chaos down there as much as the actual game lol. Most fun I've had at a game since... I don't know.

Lost a brand new hat thanks to Seba's 3rd goal. It was worth tossing it.

I'll definitely be sitting up there again. Love the view.

Heard some GO employee say something about hourly service due to construction or something.

And the GO being late/delayed is nothing out of the ordinary. lol
    I was just this weekend while some work was done at Guildwood. Regular service begins once again tomorrow.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wtf?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, those people I've had discussions with about India vs. Pakistan matches would have to be really really good at avoiding showing their Naziness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a game, probably the best display on and off field I've seen.

I just watched the highlights again and I must say, Kelyn Rowe is a little bitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was with friends in the second deck on the East (the posh lower loges). The East was freaking loud and the sound from the South East just carries you along. Even the 7 NER fans near us got carried with it.

I agree with Kurt - how the media isn't recognising there is something different going on with 27K bopping along and possibly the best and most dominating sporting legend ever seen in Toronto bar none, I do not know.
    I was in 127 and I heard chants of "Revolution" at one point in the second half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    What a game, probably the best display on and off field I've seen.

I just watched the highlights again and I must say, Kelyn Rowe is a little bitch.
    Okay I get that the TFC player had his studs exposed when he went to make that clearance but uncle Ted misses it and he outright stops playing. Not exactly helping his own problems.

From that point on he just played whiney baby over every decision. 4-1 looked good on him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe that was dark humour and sarcasm by the OP. Nothing for anyone to take seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Okay I get that the TFC player had his studs exposed when he went to make that clearance but uncle Ted misses it and he outright stops playing. Not exactly helping his own problems.

From that point on he just played whiney baby over every decision. 4-1 looked good on him.
    I was in 127 and you could actually hear him scream in pain when Bloom went in for the challenge, but who cares because Seba scored that amazing goal right after.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Guys, just trying to get the word out...

I'm on 88.9 FM every Sunday morning talking mostly Toronto FC. Podcast embeded. Let me know what you think!

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/06...ng-performance
    Love it! Though I wish it was all TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/B]It's a head scratcher for sure, Toronto sports media just seem to have the blinkers on, don't they
    Hockey/hockey/hockey/hockey.....

Gets a bit tiresome

I was at Wednesday's game...the stadium environment just seems to get better each game right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, just ignore the hater journos. It's not worth it. They'll shrivel up soon enough and go away.

Just enjoy what you enjoy and others will come around to the positive atmosphere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who care's what the haters say lets just enjoy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a HECK of lot of soccer isn't a real sport types who are under 40 and in sports journalism in this town. Guys like Bruce Arthur, who doesn't actively fear the sport like Damien Cox but still can't take it seriously ever because he sees something that is beyond his moral code.

Something to remember is that Canadian professional sports is obsessed with the idea of "doing the right thing", with "following the code" - and these journos, all though the younger ones will say it doesn't mean anything, they are steeped in the idea of sports has to be done the "right way". (Don't get me started on the Olympics being sold as nice Canadians with great moms and dads versus the machines of Russia and China and all the morally ambiguous others)

What I hear from this young group is the faking of a bad injury is the issue for them - they grew up with the ambiguities of the moral codes found within hockey and basketball and football and baseball but judge the faking of an injury they see in soccer as something that makes the game not worth their time. Given the diving and whining and cheating and...yes....fake injuries we see in hockey, basketball, baseball and football, I don't get it.

I like what Alexi Lalas has said about this

a) Soccer is only going to get bigger in North America - its not going away

b) the old Dinosaurs, just let em go...they are nonredeemable and not worth the time

c) but he has all the time in the world for any journalist who doesn't understand the game but wants to come and talk to him

d) because if you want to be a young dinosaur and say you despise soccer, you are cutting yourself off of future prospects as a journalist

Look, we don't know if TFC and the fan base can keep these current good feelings going. But we do know that there is a HUGE story going on sports wise in this town right now, and its not the Jays chasing Baltimore, its not the Leafs new phenom, its the best player on the continent is right here and he's making his team play better as a unit and 27K of people, from diverse backgrounds, are showing up for an organic good time.
    That won't be given the big sell on Rogers Sports Radio when their main business is to pump up the 2 things you have made hundreds of millions of investments in. But it should at least get you a discussion point about "So why are so many people showing up to see this again?" And it should make the younger "I can't stand soccer" journos think twice cause something is happening in local Toronto professional soccer again and if its done right, they will ignore this at the peril of their future livelihoods.
    I played soccer competitively my whole life, and as I got older plus injuries, started playing in Toronto rec leagues the past few years. I find there is a fair number of former hockey players who, for whatever reason, didn't play soccer as a kid but started later on. I find they are always the first to complain about tackles and any bit of contact. I've come to the conclusion that the reason is they were inundated growing up with the idea that soccer isn't physical. So when they experience an actual tackle in real life and realize how hard it actually is, they think it's against the rules. I think a big part of the problem is too many current journalists just haven't had any experience playing it whereas almost everyone has some experience playing hockey (even if just on the street).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol hahaha made my day

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The All For One Guys - not doing one this season so far but following the team around