0 Thread(s)

Stop ignoring Toronto FC, Toronto
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/08/06...ng-performance

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the team doing the clap with the south after the game.

Everyone there but Seba who had to do the man of the match thing then came over. Even Vanney did it.

The crowd was fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what a night.the crowd was great,i love saturday night games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That game was fun!
    Man, I'm so glad this was the game you took your son to after all these years. I'm loving the quality of soccer we're playing lately!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    Great read, Kurt. I hope this opens some peoples eyes that TFC shouldn't be ignored.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Love the team doing the clap with the south after the game.

Everyone there but Seba who had to do the man of the match thing then came over. Even Vanney did it.

The crowd was fantastic.
    Pretty cool.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that the on-pitch ass-kicking by TFC was a big factor, but tonight by far had the BEST ATMOSPHERE THIS SEASON! 112 was crazy-loud. Drumming was tight. I'll admit we ran into a few timing issues with us and the other sections, but that's it. The crowd was really into it - not just the SG Sctions but much of the stadium as a whole.

Anyway, just wanted to say great job to everyone who showed up - especially the guys on the drums and capo stand, and the flag crew.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was jaw dropping tonight at BMO tonight in spiritual ways, that second goal was something I really did not believe I just saw until I realized I actually just did. The southend was in full force. Great to see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So true Kurt, what a great read. The next couple months in TO could be magically sport wise.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    ???

This is Vanney's team.

'Vanney Ball' is: play like it is nil - nil and you are hungry for a goal until the final whistle.

No TFC team has ever played like this and it isn't because of Michael Bradley or Sebastian Giovinco.

Look at the young guys and tell me he isn't amazing.

TFC plays incredibly exciting football.

I wasnt making an argument for that assessment. I was simply explaining what some people meant by Vanneyball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore's goal was off of a quick FK by Bradley, he played him through. I couldn't see the whole play because Inebriatti had their tall flags up, but that seemed to be what it was. It was the second time they tried the play it looked like too, I think there was an attempt at it earlier in the game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So that was apparently Dobson's last game at BMO before he retires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I brought my girlfriend's family to this game so I didn't get to sit in the south end as usual. They are soccer fans that follow TFC but rarely go to games. If there was ever a game to advertise the team and stadium it was yesterday. Great play by the team, amazing goals, incredible atmosphere. It's one of those games where I am sure her young nephews will remember for a long time.

From the top of the new second deck, the southend sounded incredible. This year is sounding a lot more united, and I think the roof definitely helps. The chants are much clearer to follow.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Man, I'm so glad this was the game you took your son to after all these years. I'm loving the quality of soccer we're playing lately!
    I am too (to both statements)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing game

WTF was uo with the GO? Hourly and late, what shitty service

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAOK17 View Post
    I brought my girlfriend's family to this game so I didn't get to sit in the south end as usual. They are soccer fans that follow TFC but rarely go to games. If there was ever a game to advertise the team and stadium it was yesterday. Great play by the team, amazing goals, incredible atmosphere. It's one of those games where I am sure her young nephews will remember for a long time.

From the top of the new second deck, the south end sounded incredible. This year is sounding a lot more united, and I think the roof definitely helps. The chants are much clearer to follow.
    I was with friends in the second deck on the East (the posh lower loges). The East was freaking loud and the sound from the South East just carries you along. Even the 7 NER fans near us got carried with it.

I agree with Kurt - how the media isn't recognising there is something different going on with 27K bopping along and possibly the best and most dominating sporting legend ever seen in Toronto bar none, I do not know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    agree with Kurt - how the media isn't recognising there is something different going on with 27K bopping along and possibly the best and most dominating sporting legend ever seen in Toronto bar none, I do not know.

It's a head scratcher for sure, Toronto sports media just seem to have the blinkers on, don't they
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 08-07-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, just trying to get the word out...

I'm on 88.9 FM every Sunday morning talking mostly Toronto FC. Podcast embeded. Let me know what you think!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Just surfing some NE fan reactions to the game - it's amusing how people treat Giovinco as though he's not part of our team, and so goals scored by him "don't count" in determining how the teams played, or something.
    Some treat it that way on here...

So be it. Doesn't change the win or how happy most are about it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel at times I need to drive home the fact with people that not only is the team in general really playing at a high level (especially in recent weeks) but we have arguably the best player on the continent on this squad. Maybe I'm just bitter as fuck, but when so many papers and other outlets are talking about Donaldson or Bautista or Bozak or Kadri (even during the height of summer!), it seems like Gio is being completely overlooked despite his obvious athletic credentials.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    I feel at times I need to drive home the fact with people that not only is the team in general really playing at a high level (especially in recent weeks) but we have arguably the best player on the continent on this squad. Maybe I'm just bitter as fuck, but when so many papers and other outlets are talking about Donaldson or Bautista or Bozak or Kadri (even during the height of summer!), it seems like Gio is being completely overlooked despite his obvious athletic credentials.
    You have to remember that the Jays are Canada's team, the Blue Jays are right behind the Canadian National Hockey in terms of country wide support.

I think the main issue is the perception of MLS and its going to take a long time to change peoples minds, the old dinosaur media market in Toronto also has to die off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That second goal could go down as goal of the season

In fact almost all of his goals could fill the top 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe that I was so busy that I missed all the games this week ... what a time to not be able to watch

Man, I hope we're not peaking too early and can keep this up all the way into the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I can't believe that I was so busy that I missed all the games this week ... what a time to not be able to watch

Man, I hope we're not peaking too early and can keep this up all the way into the playoffs.
    Do what I did, was at the cottage so missed the game. Came home without checking the score on the internet and just watched it on MLS Live instead. Only tuned into the online hype after It felt like I was watching it live on TV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When sid seixeiro yelles more soccer after Portugal won a knock out round have there were tons of hate on social media. We aren't dealing with interference, were dealing with our right hate for the game AND those that love it. Sports racism?
    Regardless, it shows Canada is not as open minded as we hope it is.

I mean i don't like watching cricket, but i wouldn't go out of my way to not allow it and attack cricket watchers

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    When sid seixeiro yelles more soccer after Portugal won a knock out round have there were tons of hate on social media. We aren't dealing with interference, were dealing with our right hate for the game AND those that love it. Sports racism?

I mean i don't like watching cricket, but i wouldn't go out of my way to not allow it and attack cricket watchers
    summary and reasoning of NA sports media and fans:

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, just trying to get the word out...

I'm on 88.9 FM every Sunday morning talking mostly Toronto FC. Podcast embeded. Let me know what you think!

Thanks Kurt. A very enjoyable listen!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of cricket...

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Gandhi

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ....the old dinosaur media market in Toronto also has to die off.
    There are a HECK of lot of soccer isn't a real sport types who are under 40 and in sports journalism in this town. Guys like Bruce Arthur, who doesn't actively fear the sport like Damien Cox but still can't take it seriously ever because he sees something that is beyond his moral code.

Something to remember is that Canadian professional sports is obsessed with the idea of "doing the right thing", with "following the code" - and these journos, all though the younger ones will say it doesn't mean anything, they are steeped in the idea of sports has to be done the "right way". (Don't get me started on the Olympics being sold as nice Canadians with great moms and dads versus the machines of Russia and China and all the morally ambiguous others)

What I hear from this young group is the faking of a bad injury is the issue for them - they grew up with the ambiguities of the moral codes found within hockey and basketball and football and baseball but judge the faking of an injury they see in soccer as something that makes the game not worth their time. Given the diving and whining and cheating and...yes....fake injuries we see in hockey, basketball, baseball and football, I don't get it.

I like what Alexi Lalas has said about this

a) Soccer is only going to get bigger in North America - its not going away

b) the old Dinosaurs, just let em go...they are nonredeemable and not worth the time

c) but he has all the time in the world for any journalist who doesn't understand the game but wants to come and talk to him

d) because if you want to be a young dinosaur and say you despise soccer, you are cutting yourself off of future prospects as a journalist

Look, we don't know if TFC and the fan base can keep these current good feelings going. But we do know that there is a HUGE story going on sports wise in this town right now, and its not the Jays chasing Baltimore, its not the Leafs new phenom, its the best player on the continent is right here and he's making his team play better as a unit and 27K of people, from diverse backgrounds, are showing up for an organic good time.
    That won't be given the big sell on Rogers Sports Radio when their main business is to pump up the 2 things you have made hundreds of millions of investments in. But it should at least get you a discussion point about "So why are so many people showing up to see this again?" And it should make the younger "I can't stand soccer" journos think twice cause something is happening in local Toronto professional soccer again and if its done right, they will ignore this at the peril of their future livelihoods.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 08-07-2016 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People who watch Cricket are Nazis