Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I don't know if you ever watched MLS from 2008-2010 era (the beginning of MLS 2.0 era) in comparison, MLS made leaps and bounds in quality of the league, certainly unprecedented among other leagues in the world, maybe except China. And even in China, it has a strict foreigner limit, but clubs (driven by the Chinese govt) is spending tons of money into infrastructure and youths, same thing MLS is doing now.

MLS is available in UK and Europe on TV. Slowly but surely, there is a minority that does watch MLS and with more TV exposure, it's going to gain more audience. Those that just watch EPL and ignore other leagues, well, so much you can do to convince their minds.

I'm ok with the methodical and steady rise of quality of MLS, without the crazy financial risks.
    Nah I never watched from 08-10 but watching the past 3 years I just feel like although the league is improving each year slowly, we are approaching the glass ceiling our league format creates. I hope with time and more effort going into coaching at the youth level and academies improving that the league will continue to get better depth but with the high cost of competitive soccer in both the USA and Canada I have my doubts. In my opinion the league should be focusing more on scouting South America and improving the image of the league by appointing competent refs (this is possible my old math teacher in high school was a linesmen in MLS and said they were paid peanuts) I'm not sure the financial side of the league but I'd wager they're making a profit now and all of that should be used to increase the salary cap in my opinion. I can see why you'd prefer slow steady growth after what happened to the last big soccer promotion in Canada/USA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFCB+TFC View Post
    This is a club vying for promotion from L2 at the time and ultimately failed at that. .
    Dissuade yourself of the notion that because L2 is often tactically better at moving the ball that most of them would even make it in MLS.

They've had plenty of guys from above that level that tried and failed, because it's a different style of football, predicated on speed and physicality. I've watched English football for years and everyone who goes from it to MLS initially thinks MLS is conference level or below because they don't stroke the ball around as well. But it's just not reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Dissuade yourself of the notion that because L2 is often tactically better at moving the ball that most of them would even make it in MLS.

They've had plenty of guys from above that level that tried and failed, because it's a different style of football, predicated on speed and physicality. I've watched English football for years and everyone who goes from it to MLS initially thinks MLS is conference level or below because they don't stroke the ball around as well. But it's just not reality.
    While this is a good point that players playing in L2 or or even some L1 could have a hard time transferring over to MLS because they would need to change their style of play to something they aren't able to; I'd still favour Portsmouth against most MLS teams (at the very least to get a draw) because they move the ball much better (not to mention have better coaching) and we'd have trouble getting it back. Maybe they just played a blinder that day but AFCB started some first team players and about half of their reserves and barely eeked out a 2-1 win. I don't think most MLS teams would lose by less than a couple e goals against that AFCB team.

MLS players may be faster but the ball moves faster than any player can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a side note, saw this- https://twitter.com/americancasual1/...37148982501377 and was wondering if there are any plans in the works for a tifo this weekend?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a club one - sponsored by Benjamin Moore if you follow the tweets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's going on the upper east side at some point, typical sponsor overstepping it's boundaries. No support tifo this weekend.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bet ya they decide to roll that across the Upper West again during play, like earlier in the season, but now right during the second half clap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who knows, no matter how they do it it's a dumb idea and hopefully marketing and corporate partnerships have stopped doing stuff like this.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    It's going on the upper east side at some point, typical sponsor overstepping it's boundaries. No support tifo this weekend.
    Who knows, no matter how they do it it's a dumb idea and hopefully marketing and corporate partnerships have stopped doing stuff like this.
    I'll wait for the end product to weigh in. Jimmy needs a banner on his day and they're providing. We'll see how much the sponsor takes away from it.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i hope in my lifetime we actually get a AM
    I can remember only one bona-fide, good AM in 10 years: Amado Guevara. Were there any others?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking like only 500-700 tickets left for this game. Should be another sellout!

That noise you here is the Argos drooling...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zamperina View Post
    Looking like only 500-700 tickets left for this game. Should be another sellout!

That noise you here is the Argos drooling...
    Ya but is Duran Duran playing saturday??????????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya but is Duran Duran playing saturday??????????
    HAHA

Also its "Too Hot" for Argos fans...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been really impressed at attendance this year. The extra seats aren't looking unnecessary the way they did when the reno was first proposed. Why is it so good this year? The new stadium? Good weather? Coming off a playoff season?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I have been hearing from people around work and such is that they hear from others how much fun it is to go to a game. They like being outside and the billboards around the city I guess could have helped as well.

I feel as though the word of mouth has been the most key though
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the main part of it is TFC is priced at a decent spot (still think the upper east is a little high but it's selling). I haven't heard very many if any complaints about the game being boring, if anything I always hear that the atmosphere is awesome and different than other sports. Outdoors but with cover so people are not waiting til game day to make a purchasing decision.

I'm sure last years taste of success helped a fair bit as well.

Only complaint I hear is about the GO Tunnel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The roof also helps a great deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the main part of it is TFC is priced at a decent spot (still think the upper east is a little high but it's selling). I haven't heard very many if any complaints about the game being boring, if anything I always hear that the atmosphere is awesome and different than other sports. Outdoors but with cover so people are not waiting til game day to make a purchasing decision.

I'm sure last years taste of success helped a fair bit as well.

Only complaint I hear is about the GO Tunnel
    Yeah, hate that tunnel. Another example of bad city planning. Much worse with the 30,000 crowds too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah, hate that tunnel. Another example of bad city planning. Much worse with the 30,000 crowds too.
    Decent signage in the tunnel could help... I'm always going into liberty village after the game but i still turn to the right and take the less crowded stairs and every time as i'm walking back to the entrance to liberty village ton of people are walking the other way.

Simple sign "Trains stay right" "Liberty Village left" would help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say this every match day; would it kill them to make a couple of smaller pedestrian bridges over the tracks at a few points from the EX to ease tunnel congestion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I believe doing anything above or around the tracks is always a major PITA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I say this every match day; would it kill them to make a couple of smaller pedestrian bridges over the tracks at a few points from the EX to ease tunnel congestion.
    especially because its been 10 years of this bottle necked people traffic jam..... think Go transit would they ask MLSE to help chip in on the bill?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walms View Post
    especially because its been 10 years of this bottle necked people traffic jam..... think Go transit would they ask MLSE to help chip in on the bill?
    Someone might get hurt eventually. It's so packed in there now with our sell out crowds. All it would take is a couple of people trying to run for a train.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone might get hurt eventually. It's so packed in there now with our sell out crowds. All it would take is a couple of people trying to run for a train.
    Or catch a Pokemon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Bono gets the start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ridiculous

Also just a heads up that Beerfest appears to end at the same time as kickoff.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also just a heads up that Beerfest appears to end at the same time as kickoff.
    Lots of people tend to park near BMO for Beerfest so people driving down need to get there early enough if they are parking beside the stadium. Good news is it looks like no other events in the area so that will be the only parking/traffic issue for this game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Lots of people tend to park near BMO for Beerfest so people driving down need to get there early enough if they are parking beside the stadium. Good news is it looks like no other events in the area so that will be the only parking/traffic issue for this game.
    People drive to beerfest? it sounds more like an event you show up to and 8-11 hours later you are trying to walk through a McDonalds drive through.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People drive to beerfest? it sounds more like an event you show up to and 8-11 hours later you are trying to walk through a McDonalds drive through.
    Or walk home to Newmarket.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFCB+TFC View Post
    MLS players may be faster but the ball moves faster than any player can.
    But a faster player applies faster pressure, particularly with MLS teams commonly pressing full field. That changes a lot. Suddenly those smooth passes aren't quite quick or accurate enough, and the team coughs it up in space, with their whole team spaced out. Go watch the aussie 'a' league; their teams also move the ball around much, much more smoothly than mls. And yet there is no doubt the speed and pressure isn't close.

It's fine to say portsmouth moves the ball well when they're playing against teams that play exactly the same way they do. Let's see how they react to faster players choking them full-field constantly. It works in basketball, too, and not every team is great at breaking pressure.

It's really apples-vs-oranges. It's only when you get to elite level of football that great tactical teams also have the speed, strength and tenacity to rip apart a full-field press easily. (It's also why elite teams lose so commonly to MLS teams in pre-season exhibitions; you can't play tactical movement at half-speed against full-speed coverage, full field.)
    Last edited by jloome; 07-22-2016 at 02:47 PM.