Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    It isn't if you win silverware. Real silverware, not like the bucket we get if we beat Columbus this weekend either.
    really? so if Altidore does not score a goal this year, makes 5 or so assists, but holds up play for Giovinco and others, would that be 5M well spent? If we want JUST hold up play, Alan Gordon could probably do a similar job for a lot cheaper, for example.

to me there's also a correlation to Altodore scoring and success for TFC if the goal is MLS Cup....
    Last edited by TFC Tifoso; 07-27-2016 at 12:55 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    really? so if Altidore does not score a goal this year, makes 5 or so assists, but holds up play for Giovinco and others, would that be 5M well spent? If we want JUST hold up play, Alan Gordon could probably do a similar job for a lot cheaper, for example.

to me there's also a correlation to Altodore scoring and success for TFC if the goal is MLS Cup....
    Alan Gordon would not come back here.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Alan Gordon would not come back here.
    yes I get that....point being, if people are satisfied with just hold up play from a CF, imo we don't need to spend 5M/year for it......

at this point, to me, Altidore is poor value for his salary, regardless of what he offers in hold up play.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes I get that....point being, if people are satisfied with just hold up play from a CF, imo we don't need to spend 5M/year for it......

at this point, to me, Altidore is poor value for his salary, regardless of what he offers in hold up play.
    Preferably someone that hasn't hated Toronto and gets more minutes than Alan Gordon.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Preferably someone that hasn't hated Toronto and gets more minutes than Alan Gordon.
    Can Jacob Peterson play CF??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore does more than just be a hold up man. He is often deep in the midfield and is usually involved in all the link up play. He draws defenders away from the area and can assist. Gordon and cheapo target men do not do this. They usually draw defenders into the box rather than away from it and we aren't exactly good at the aerial game as is. Bottom line, our whole attack only works well with him in the line up. Until we turn over the roster, we need him for what he brings and to make Giovinco successful. For me, his cost is $457K. The extra $4M I am not paying so I don't worry about rating DP players usefulness on cost as for me they cost the same. I am more concerned about cost of players for guys in the $300-400K range because it's those contracts that cripple rosters. Those guys better make a difference or it's a waste of cap space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Altidore does more than just be a hold up man. He is often deep in the midfield and is usually involved in all the link up play. He draws defenders away from the area and can assist. Gordon and cheapo target men do not do this. They usually draw defenders into the box rather than away from it and we aren't exactly good at the aerial game as is. Bottom line, our whole attack only works well with him in the line up. Until we turn over the roster, we need him for what he brings and to make Giovinco successful. For me, his cost is $457K. The extra $4M I am not paying so I don't worry about rating DP players usefulness on cost as for me they cost the same. I am more concerned about cost of players for guys in the $300-400K range because it's those contracts that cripple rosters. Those guys better make a difference or it's a waste of cap space.
    Ok well you make a good case.....
    I do totally agree with the fact that our whole attack is most effective when he's playing, though not with the point that he's "often" deep in the midfield.
    He was last game because for some reason he seemed to be playing the top of the diamond spot, but I don't find him tracking back on the regular.
    Also, I don't think he draws players away from the area per se......he draws them away from Giovinco.
    Look it, he had an incredible strike rate last year, so maybe this year he going through injuries and a bit of the yips.
    If he can stay healthy and even get 6 or 7 before the end of the year, I'd be satisfied for this year, all things considering.

I only make the point of his salary, because I'm looking at it from the FO perspective.
    If they feel they are not getting enough out of him, I dont' want it to influence future decisions.
    But good point on the 300-400K guys.....ya a couple of those go the wrong way and your team is totally up the creek....