Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    I'm pretty sure Osorio just lost his spot to Chapman.

This kid just seems to make quicker, and mentally sharper decisions than Osorio.
    Chapman also has two feet, is better off the ball, and tries forward passes every now and again. Even if he played a couple of bad balls last night, I really like how he's played the last month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I like about chapman is his willingness to drive into the space in front of him and take on opposing defenders not just for the sake of it but to make a play. Osorio had that in year 1; where did it go?

Anyway, I agree Osorio has probably lost his spot for the time being. Chapman still has work to do however. He lost the ball quite a few times last night drying to dribble out of our third of the field. Maybe it's just a need for more experience?

The good news is competition for these fringe spots is at an all-time high. These guys are going to have to stay hungry to get anywhere, especially with Edwards likely joining the first team in 2017.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still not sold on Chapman when he doesn't have time on the ball. He'll be good for Columbus and NER but against a better midfield like RSL I'd sit him for Osorio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i must have watch a diff game but i thought Chapman was very average last night,to the point that vanney replaced him with a forward in the last 20 min because he had no mids on the bench.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummed I couldn't be there, you all sounded awesome!

Can we please twitter bomb Gerry Dobson that it is NOT the Iceland chant. It's not OUR clap either. But I remember doing this many years ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i must have watch a diff game but i thought Chapman was very average last night,to the point that vanney replaced him with a forward in the last 20 min because he had no mids on the bench.
    Nah Reg, he wanted Altidore and Ricketts to get minutes and I'm happy he did. Altidore showed his qualities and Ricketts showed what he's capable of.

I agree with Og that a front three of Altidore, Seba and Ricketts would be HUGE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    Bummed I couldn't be there, you all sounded awesome!

Can we please twitter bomb Gerry Dobson that it is NOT the Iceland chant. It's not OUR clap either. But I remember doing this many years ago.
    Iceland adopted the chant from the Scots, and it's likely we have adopted it from the Scots as well. Pasta's origins may not be Italian, but it is so synonymous with Italy it might as well be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just wondering: Once everyone is healthy, is this our best formation and starting XI?

-----------------Irwin---------------------
    Beits-----Moor-----Zavaleta-----Morrow
    ---------------Bradley--------------------
    --------Cheyrou-----Johnston------------
    -Ricketts------Altidore--------Giovinco-

Bench: Hamilton/Baboulli, Chapman, Delgado/Osorio, Bloom/Williams, Morgan, Bono

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I'm just wondering: Once everyone is healthy, is this our best formation and starting XI?

This proposed lineup/ formation looks to be the most experienced TFC can deploy and based on previous games there should be several other solid permutations that would also work.

What the bench highlights is competition for places on the team sheet, never mind the starting 11. Hagglund, Babouli, Bloom could be on the outside looking in here and you can add in a few TFC2/ academy players that keep getting mentioned pushing for places on this team and the standard of play should continue to rise. This is a very positive development and if the team can weather the injury issues through the homestand, the reinforcements listed in the posted lineup could deliver better final results than last season.

(I recognize predicting continued results for the homestand is somewhat risky in the afterglow of smashing the NASL strength DCU - but can't ignore that the next 3 games is a great opportunity to do just that)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very promising if that line up is available for the last month and a half of the season.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched from home, was Zavaleta quite good? It's hard to evaluate defenders from TV.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Iceland adopted the chant from the Scots, and it's likely we have adopted it from the Scots as well. Pasta's origins may not be Italian, but it is so synonymous with Italy it might as well be.
    I've been told Eastern Europe, but I don't really know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched from home, was Zavaleta quite good? It's hard to evaluate defenders from TV.
    Hardly noticed him out there and that's always a good thing when talking about defenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say you have to play Cheyrou as the number 6, not Bradley. Cheyrou can't cover enough ground to be a two-way mid, which you need in that spot. As an anchor, he can float in front of the backline and doesn't really have to play both ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Jozy Altidore's quality was noticeable tonight when he came in. Nice touch, nice hold up and nice play. Ricketts looks like he'll get a lot of chances and frustrate us, but probably score a few. Getting Bradley and Johnson bad with Altidore will make us very dangerous. Even a rusty Altidore made us a much more dangerous offensive team. I just hope he gets a goal or two to get his confidence up.
    I do not mean to be a prick, people who are down on Altidore, do not really appreciate what a CF like him should be providing the team. He makes out offense better even when he is not scoring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd say you have to play Cheyrou as the number 6, not Bradley. Cheyrou can't cover enough ground to be a two-way mid, which you need in that spot. As an anchor, he can float in front of the backline and doesn't really have to play both ways.
    It will be interesting to see how Vanney approaches the midfield once Bradley and Johnson return. Cheyrou will need to be given rest at times, we want him fresh and healthy by the time the playoffs roll around. But largely Vanney will either need to figure out a way to play all three of Cheyrou, Johnson, and Bradley at once, or someone will have to be coming off the bench. I think Vanney wants to play a 2 striker formation, which I'd prefer seeing myself. All I know is there's no way you can move Cheyrou to the bench for an extended run of games, he's been excellent since his return from injury, at this point probably my vote for MVP of the season excluding Seba.

We could do a 4-4-2 diamond, with Cheyrou as the #6 and Bradley as the #10. Kinda messes with Bradley's rhythm, having played him as a #6 all season, but it seems the option that gets the most talent on the field in a way that makes sense... I really dislike playing Giovinco as a winger.
    Last edited by notthesun; 07-25-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Hardly noticed him out there and that's always a good thing when talking about defenders.
    Is he better than Williams and Hagglund? Isn't he quite young as well?

I'm very happy with Moor, VERY happy with Morrow and Beitashour is amazing.

If Zavaleta makes 4 (even eventually) I am a very happy camper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like morgan over morrow, oso on the pitch and likely moving Bradley to 10. But cheyrou has to get some rest as well. Morrow has been underwhelming this year, goals aside, and Morgan was playing well pre injury.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I like morgan over morrow, oso on the pitch and likely moving Bradley to 10. But cheyrou has to get some rest as well. Morrow has been underwhelming this year, goals aside, and Morgan was playing well pre injury.
    He was playing better but still got wrong sided a lot for a defender.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is he better than Williams and Hagglund? Isn't he quite young as well?
    Looks more composed and makes less errors than Williams and Hagglund but actually all of them have looked good this year when they've been in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He was playing better but still got wrong sided a lot for a defender.
    He actually should be the wing back in a 3-5-2. Very effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Rickets came on, he was energised and he made Hamilton look pedestrian like. Attempts on goal then moments later making a tackle in front of our own net, I'm exited to see more of this guy !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manchester City played a Polish team Lech Poznan ( Lewandowski's former polish side), and at the Champions league game the Poznan players grab each other over the shoulders, back facing the pitch, nad jump up and down, commentator's quoted it for doing the "Poznan", and some English sides and sides around the world copied, and called it "the poznan". truth of the matter is, it's from a different city, Krakow, as Poznan is new team , but it is what it is..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pawlukj View Post
    Manchester City played a Polish team Lech Poznan ( Lewandowski's former polish side), and at the Champions league game the Poznan players grab each other over the shoulders, back facing the pitch, nad jump up and down, commentator's quoted it for doing the "Poznan", and some English sides and sides around the world copied, and called it "the poznan". truth of the matter is, it's from a different city, Krakow, as Poznan is new team , but it is what it is..
    I was thinking along the same lines.

Let them call it the Iceland Clap.

If it means more people do it, great. If it means more fans on TV recognize it, great.

The people who dismiss it as "copycat" will dismiss *whatever* happens in TFC/MLS. Thing is, they already know it's been done before. They're just looking for the easy putdown.

Just keep leading the clap, we'll keep following, and growing the fan participation element of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines.

Let them call it the Iceland Clap.

If it means more people do it, great. If it means more fans on TV recognize it, great.

The people who dismiss it as "copycat" will dismiss *whatever* happens in TFC/MLS. Thing is, they already know it's been done before. They're just looking for the easy putdown.

Just keep leading the clap, we'll keep following, and growing the fan participation element of the game.
    I loved it when they sang "oh when the reds go marching in..." last match, they should do that 10 mins before half time to inspire the team or when everyone gets back into their seats in the 2nd half. It would sound amazing with the East stands involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually "Oh when the Reds" is at kickoff of each half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Usually "Oh when the Reds" is at kickoff of each half.
    Yeah but the stadium usually isnt full right at kickoff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Yeah but the stadium usually isnt full right at kickoff.
    This is very true but would be true for anything done in the first 10 min of each half. I've always thought that some of the call and answer or "battles" would bring in more people from outside the SS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I do not mean to be a prick, people who are down on Altidore, do not really appreciate what a CF like him should be providing the team. He makes out offense better even when he is not scoring.
    I think the argument with Altidore (for me at least) is value of play from a DP, not quality of play.

Altidore's CF play is good.....but pair it with 12-15 goals and we'd truly get fair value from him.
    Paying 5M a year for hold up play is probably a bit much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    I think the argument with Altidore (for me at least) is value of play from a DP, not quality of play.

Altidore's CF play is good.....but pair it with 12-15 goals and we'd truly get fair value from him.
    Paying 5M a year for hold up play is probably a bit much.
    It isn't if you win silverware. Real silverware, not like the bucket we get if we beat Columbus this weekend either.