Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AFCB+TFC View Post
    MLS players may be faster but the ball moves faster than any player can.
    I think I learned this from Goal: The movie
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW - Worst projected lineup this year in my opinion. Did they pick out of a hat?
    http://toronto-mp7static.mlsdigital....gXI-072316.png

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That midfield ain't gonna happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    And I believe doing anything above or around the tracks is always a major PITA.
    This!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    FWIW - Worst projected lineup this year in my opinion. Did they pick out of a hat?
    Not like they've ever gotten it right anyways lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either this is to throw the competition off or Vanney has found another job, either way someone's taking the piss!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Either this is to throw the competition off or Vanney has found another job, either way someone's taking the piss!

No no.. someone is taking all the the Pisses.. drinking it.. re-expelling it and taking it again... because that is how sick a joke that line up is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    I think I learned this from Goal: The movie
    Lol I feel like that whole movie was a meme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    But a faster player applies faster pressure, particularly with MLS teams commonly pressing full field. That changes a lot. Suddenly those smooth passes aren't quite quick or accurate enough, and the team coughs it up in space, with their whole team spaced out. Go watch the aussie 'a' league; their teams also move the ball around much, much more smoothly than mls. And yet there is no doubt the speed and pressure isn't close.

It's fine to say portsmouth moves the ball well when they're playing against teams that play exactly the same way they do. Let's see how they react to faster players choking them full-field constantly. It works in basketball, too, and not every team is great at breaking pressure.

It's really apples-vs-oranges. It's only when you get to elite level of football that great tactical teams also have the speed, strength and tenacity to rip apart a full-field press easily. (It's also why elite teams lose so commonly to MLS teams in pre-season exhibitions; you can't play tactical movement at half-speed against full-speed coverage, full field.)
    You make a good point and I'm not surprised because your a good poster. I can't remember if Bournemouth tried pressing them that game as it was a makeshift lineup for them. You could very well be right that MLS is superior to the best L2 teams (would be interesting to see MLS teams in the Johnstone's Paint trophy although I know that's impossible.) I personally prefer the play style in England (not that that means they're better). Kind of off-topic but I'm really looking forward to seeing how Liverpool does this season as their high press is very fun to watch and it will be interesting to see how if the big teams deal with it in the manner you said. Jurgen has now had a window to get players in so there's no excuses this year. Do you follow a Premier League team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol good thing Bacardi is rarely accurate, that would be a shambolic midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You make a good point and I'm not surprised because your a good poster. I can't remember if Bournemouth tried pressing them that game as it was a makeshift lineup for them. You could very well be right that MLS is superior to the best L2 teams (would be interesting to see MLS teams in the Johnstone's Paint trophy although I know that's impossible.) I personally prefer the play style in England (not that that means they're better). Kind of off-topic but I'm really looking forward to seeing how Liverpool does this season as their high press is very fun to watch and it will be interesting to see how if the big teams deal with it in the manner you said. Jurgen has now had a window to get players in so there's no excuses this year. Do you follow a Premier League team?
    Liverpool, since '77. I think it'll help them avoid so many lost points against weaker teams, who always seem to treat us like its an FA cup final. I don't know how much good it'll do against Citeh.

MLS will only become a premier league when it combines its current style with more tactical discipline, I think. It'll probably grow organically over time into a league more like Argentina or France, where there's still a lot of pressing and physicality but also technique and ball movement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liverpool, since '77. I think it'll help them avoid so many lost points against weaker teams, who always seem to treat us like its an FA cup final. I don't know how much good it'll do against Citeh.

MLS will only become a premier league when it combines its current style with more tactical discipline, I think. It'll probably grow organically over time into a league more like Argentina or France, where there's still a lot of pressing and physicality but also technique and ball movement.
    Right on man, well things are certainly looking up for Liverpool with Klopp in charge. To be fair, I agree with what you say about not losing so many points to the weaker teams with this system but you guys had some great results against the other big clubs last year (although it looks like those big clubs have all gotten significantly better this summer as well)

What's your opinion on selling Ibe to Bournemouth for 15 million?

Think you're spot on with your analysis of the future of MLS. I can see the technical and tactical side improving till it rivals other fringe top leagues but it won't ever be as big as the very best leagues in my opinion.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    People drive to beerfest? it sounds more like an event you show up to and 8-11 hours later you are trying to walk through a McDonalds drive through.
    Haha yeah I hear ya but going by the last couple of years they do. Designated drivers, sleeping it off in the car. Whatever works as long as they don't drive when they shouldn't. I did the walk through a late night Wendy's thing when I was younger for a bit but it was catching on with other people then they put a stop to it. Oh well...good while it lasted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your opinion on selling Ibe to Bournemouth for 15 million?
    Great fucking deal. Ibe's shite. His decision making is worse than Sterling's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Yeah, 15 million pounds is good business for him before he turns into our Andros Townsend.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weather network calling for a 21km/h breeze out of the north at kickoff. 28 feeling like 33.

Going to be rocking....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yeah, hate that tunnel. Another example of bad city planning. Much worse with the 30,000 crowds too.
    They have to do something about that. It's an unmitigated disaster. Is anything planned?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    They have to do something about that. It's an unmitigated disaster. Is anything planned?
    The streetcars are supposed to be back going into the Ex by mid August. They are planning to run them there during the Ex for sure but there was talk a the time this started that they would have to finish off some stuff afterwards and thus close them again.

We'll see but if they do come back, that will relieve a lot of pressure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that's enough. Those stairs were crowded to begin with, even before the streetcar nonsense.

They need to invest in a pedestrian bridge or something similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it's always been bad. With the crowds we're getting now it's so much worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, 15 million pounds is good business for him before he turns into our Andros Townsend.
    I haven't encountered a Liverpool fan yet that doesn't like the deal. I keep telling myself it's not as bad as paying 7 million for Lewis Grabban at least

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    I hope Eddie Howe can work his magic like he did with Josh King then! King was garbage for half the year then became a key player for us. Credited Howe as the only manager he's had who knows his shit haha.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamid might be out of the game.

That is big for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso has the flu and won't be in the 11 or on the bench. Praise be to Jesus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono could lay across the line for 90 minutes and Vanney would still start him.

I like how Bono didn't even take responsibility for the 2-1 SJ goal... called it an "accident"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono in goal...I mean I understand benching him now would shatter his confidence but he's a liability at this point. What's it been 2 howlers in 5 games? That's not even good enough to start in the NASL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 shots from Seba compared to 29 from DC's most frequent shooter this season. Nuts. Love the guy but he's gotta trust his teammates more if their in a better position to score than he is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn that skill move by Cheyrou!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is Chapman complaining, like shut up you should have had 2 yellows already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice goal. Too bad the score camera work today is just dreadful.