Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Supportive before Orlando happened - this really means a lot

I took this (super zoomed in) photo before the start of the June 1st match, and I'd meant to post it here, but got distracted by life. But I'm posting it now to say thank you. I know there will probably be more tributes in the coming days, and I absolutely love that Bradley changed his armband for Copa America for support, but I also wanted to say thanks for bringing that flag at the start of the month. My partner and I are lucky - we're women and we don't face the same level of dislike that two men do- but we've still had our moments in Toronto where we've quickly dropped hands because the area and atmosphere didn't feel that safe. But seeing this flag gives the feeling that whilst we might get razzed for not singing and shouting loud enough, we won't get shit for being together. Or at least, it won't be tolerated and we have support. That's a bloody awesome feeling.

So thank you. See you all at the match today!

*Sorry if this isn't really an appropriate post, please delete if necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a great post to read!

I'm straight but a lot of my friends that go to TFC matches with me are gay men and they have only had great experiences over the years. I've always enjoyed that for the most part soccer seems to have a more inclusive fanbase and feeling than other major sports like basketball, hockey and American football.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're right, the inclusiveness of soccer fans is really amazing. It's been really nice to see, and the little nods of acceptance are a really positive feeling. Anyway, I wanted to thank the community here because there've been a lot of emotions this week and I am pumped for a positive day and a good match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for sharing - your post is not only appropriate here but much welcomed!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing that such a small flag seen from so far away can have such an impact.

If anyone has ever wondered why that flag was there before ...
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know its not coming from the same place or about the same safety but...the message comes from the leader on the pitch too.

The night before the USA’s Copa American Centenario Quarterfinal against Ecuador, U.S. captain Michael Bradley approached the team equipment manager Jesse Bignami with an idea.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2016...a-quarterfinal

O Captain! My Captain!
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-18-2016 at 01:34 PM.