Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    How old is the Academy? A few years? Yeah, there's just not enough time for this discussion IMO. Get back to me in 15 years for a real sample size I'd say.
    Exactly.
    It takes years and a small % of players make it. Jesus, hold off a few years then come back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it will take time to develop. Jumping to quick to conclusions. Takes time to build on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    I guess the Toronto media that reports on TFC won't cover this issue with a 10 foot pole.
    Send a tip to the Toronto Star. They love this sort of controversy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    How old is the Academy? A few years? Yeah, there's just not enough time for this discussion IMO. Get back to me in 15 years for a real sample size I'd say.
    So carte blanche for 15 years then? We can certainly benchmark to the rest of the league, at the very least. You don't just wake up after more than a decade and become FCB.

I think they're doing okay. Room for improvement but not terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windsor Stars become Windsor TFC.

Sounds like they are turning it into a Satellite academy of sorts

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Windsor Stars become Windsor TFC.

Sounds like they are turning it into a Satellite academy of sorts
    Might as well before Detroit FC comes about.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Might as well before Detroit FC comes about.
    With Vancouver establishing a similar relationship in London it makes sense that TFC went in a direction like this. Now potentially doing something like this in St Catherines area would also make sense if they want to leverage the area.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC isn't creating relationships with top youth teams all around Southern Ontario, they are doing it wrong.

Many MLS teams are doing precisely this to pouch top talents.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    If TFC isn't creating relationships with top youth teams all around Southern Ontario, they are doing it wrong.

Believe they are doing it but i think this is different in that it becomes a satellite academy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figure this is a good place to put this. Will Parchman from TDS did an article on the the HG's that should be signed. One of TFCs academy was included.

F Ayo Akinola, Toronto FC
    The Toronto FC academy is often shrouded from wider American view. Since it doesn’t compete in the Development Academy, it only emerges for showcase and international events, and the soft truth is that Canadian academies just tend to penetrate the market less below the border line. Which is a shame because all three Canadian MLS academies are pushing boundaries in their own way. For Toronto FC, that means a multi-million dollar training complex and facilities it shares with the first team.
    Akinola has benefitted more than most. There are a number of ballyhooed prospects in TFC’s academy, but none of them have more promise than Akinola. Gallingly for Canada, Akinola was born in Canada but has American citizenship, and U.S. Soccer didn’t rest on its haunches. The No. 7 player in the 2018 class was first called in to a U14 BNT camp in 2014, and he had his breakout on April 27, 2015 when he put four goals past Croatia for the U15 BNT. Ever since, he’s been intimately involved in the U.S. setup, and he’s likely to get a long look for the U17 World Cup next year. This is all decidedly good news for TFC, which has a center forward playing at a high level for both club and country. A diminutive 5-foot-7 back-to-goal threat who can also turn and burn, Akinola fills a unique niche in the country’s growing repertoire of quality center forwards.
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-...s-hgs_aid39327

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Figure this is a good place to put this. Will Parchman from TDS did an article on the the HG's that should be signed. One of TFCs academy was included.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-...s-hgs_aid39327
    CSA miss calling up a promising Canadian talent, only to have them scooped by another country? Never heard of that happening before.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A canadian who plays for the US shouldn't be in our development ranks IMO unless they think he will switch to represent canada

I wouldn't accept Jonathan De Guzman or Teal Bunbury on the 1st team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC development needs to be for TFC. Not for a specific country, nor a specific agent.

The vast majority will be Canadian prospects. If it happens to be somebody who plays for another country, as far as TFC development is concerned, that's their issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm in the minority with that opinion but really what is the difference between him representing America and what whoregraves, bunbury, de guzman did. I guess he still has time to switch back but he doesn't appear to have any intention to do so.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's a kid in an academy. Our academy. Everything and anything else that adds to his learning curve is gravy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Akinola was added to the TFC II player pool and was subbed on vs. FC Montreal on Wednesday, by the way. Had one chance in stoppage time saved by Crepeau.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm in the minority with that opinion but really what is the difference between him representing America and what whoregraves, bunbury, de guzman did. I guess he still has time to switch back but he doesn't appear to have any intention to do so.
    AHEM.

In this you stand not alone.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    CSA miss calling up a promising Canadian talent, only to have them scooped by another country? Never heard of that happening before.
    The word is TFC's American heavy coaching staff encouraged him to choose the USA. Disgusting in all honesty.
    This is worse considering he's a Canadian born and raised here plus he's developing here unlike the others mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    TFC development needs to be for TFC. Not for a specific country, nor a specific agent.

The vast majority will be Canadian prospects. If it happens to be somebody who plays for another country, as far as TFC development is concerned, that's their issue.
    If TFC encouraged him to join the Yanks like what's being suggested, that becomes a TFC issue. There's a reason I don't support this club in any financial way anymore.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Macksam View Post
    The word is TFC's American heavy coaching staff encouraged him to choose the USA. Disgusting in all honesty.
    I'd need something more concrete than "the word is", before I got exercised about it one way or another.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is worse considering he's a Canadian born and raised here plus he's developing here unlike the others mentioned.

If TFC encouraged him to join the Yanks like what's being suggested, that becomes a TFC issue. There's a reason I don't support this club in any financial way anymore.
    For me TFC's academy is to develop players for TFC's not the Canadian national team. let the CSA develop it's own players.
    I wish TFC would recruiter the best promising young talent from through CONCACAF actually. I don't care which national team they play for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to start players from a young age, younger then they had in the passed. Also takes lots of money, many Euro clubs invest much more money, also will take years to develop the players. Hopefully in the next 10 years we will see more better players come through the ranks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    For me TFC's academy is to develop players for TFC's not the Canadian national team. let the CSA develop it's own players.
    I wish TFC would recruiter the best promising young talent from through CONCACAF actually. I don't care which national team they play for.
    If MLS was a league with revenues on the level of the premier league, sure. However, it isn't. MLS has a domestic quota and currently is a development league to help produce American, and now Canadian(don't want to get in the domestic issue debate) talent.

Anyhow, the main issue here is someone who is born, raised and developing here should play for said country. No ifs, ands or buts.

Also, the only way TFC is going to gain long term traction in this city isif the club becomes, like I said above, major league where the team salary becomes at least 30 million plus, in which case I would say scrap the domestic player quota and try to find the best talent, or the team becomes heavy on locally developed talent. People will care a lot more for a 5 million dollar salary capped team with kids from the GTA than one with kids from the Caribbean.
    Last edited by Macksam; 12-11-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they're just a bit rough around the edges. They have better potential.
    Last edited by Teflon; 12-06-2023 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

TFC Academy was as dysfunctional as the parent club for many years having first hand experience with them dealing with my son since he was 9.

Last year the whitecaps set up shop a couple hours down the road in London and I think this finally woke up the folks running the academy as TFC struck back by aligning themselves with the League 1 team and their youth academy in London, for whom my son plays.

This was great news for me personally as my son had been approached in the past to join the TFC academy but we could never commit to the training given the commute distance. Now he has TFC coaches that monitor his progress with his current club and we follow the same technical direction as the TFC academy.

I'd hope that they strike similar partnerships with the other League 1 teams and academies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Send a tip to the Toronto Star. They love this sort of controversy.
    +1. If you have concrete evidence to share, it's best to get in touch with the media. Posting in anonymous forums won't do much, though I do appreciate you sharing the story. I had no idea such crap is going on behind the scenes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are you guys talking about.what controversy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    what are you guys talking about.what controversy?
    That The club supposedly engages in the common but not very nice practice of making youth players sign with specific agents that are friendly to the club.

again, supposedly.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 12-17-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If MLS was a league with revenues on the level of the premier league, sure. However, it isn't. MLS has a domestic quota and currently is a development league to help produce American, and now Canadian(don't want to get in the domestic issue debate) talent.

Anyhow, the main issue here is someone who is born, raised and developing here should play for said country. No ifs, ands or buts.

Also, the only way TFC is going to gain long term traction in this city isif the club becomes, like I said above, major league where the team salary becomes at least 30 million plus, in which case I would say scrap the domestic player quota and try to find the best talent, or the team becomes heavy on locally developed talent. People will care a lot more for a 5 million dollar salary capped team with kids from the GTA than one with kids from the Caribbean.
    I don't care and I am sure most people done care what country the academy kids want to represent.
    What business is it of yours if a kids wants to represent another country other than Canada.
    The public, rightfully, is not complaining that the Blue Jays and the Raptors aren't developing Canadian players so I don't see why they would start complaining about TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    I don't care and I am sure most people done care what country the academy kids want to represent.
    What business is it of yours if a kids wants to represent another country other than Canada.
    The public, rightfully, is not complaining that the Blue Jays and the Raptors aren't developing Canadian players so I don't see why they would start complaining about TFC.
    Blue Jays and Raptors don't develop players. They are already 20+ when drafted. Soccer is a unique institution where clubs are allowed to develop their own local talent. Imagine id the same for NHL if the Leafs were allowed to grow and claim all hockey youth players in the GTA!

Now a majority of TFC fans are also passionate supporters of the CMNT. If the club and the fans sponsor a youth players development we would rather that player if he turns profesional be on board with the CMNT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i want them to develop good Canadian players ,its not that bad right now.TFC2 has about 60% Canadian ratio but all the other age groups are probs 95 to 100 % canadian,sure we may lose the odd player player,it will take some time.