Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Drogba finally showed up. He's automatic from that distance.

Real shame we couldn't hold on but still a good result.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd much rather be us than them in all this.

They win 2-0 or 3-1, then this will be annoying.

But, just as likely we score on them more than once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it good enough?

Why we not have Mannella as a sub, (not even on bench WTF) he plays a holding mid, may have been a more intelligent sub IMO

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DSouzaZ View Post
    Vanney is an idiot for taking of Cheyrou. Both goals were because we didn't have a DM on the field.
    Cheyrou was gassed out. Just returning from injury and not 100% match fit
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No DPs, we got the monkey off Oso's back and Hamilton scored.

It could have ended 4-3 and i'd still be happy.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, four goals are a great showing from our subs, but we need to get something on the road next week. Montreal put away two huge away goals, which took a lot of the pressure off them.

Still, there are many positives to take away from tonight.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminder. Johnson is back next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well all Montreal needs now is a 2-0 result at home, pretty good odds Montreal can get that not out of the question, too many changes at the end, all on Vanney at the end.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see also that Ottawa came away with 2-0 victory tonight in their first leg vs. Vancouver.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we won't play with the best available team next week we'll be toast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Taking out Cheyrou was a difficult decision but we were up a man and that was Cheyrou's first game of the year. Both goals involved our right back who after a good start to the season is starting to look like a problem. On Montreal's first goal he just pulled up and let the guy run on to the ball and he had a free header. On the second goal he gives up the hand ball free kick. We are not nearly as tight on defence any more. The league has now figured our weakness and the other teams are exploiting it.
    Last edited by SKB; 06-01-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Reminder. Johnson is back next week.
    And Giovinco.

We'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should've specified, or atleast replacing him with a DM, given his situation. Drogba had too much time in both those situations in the hole where the DM should be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh Beitashour had a few great saving tackles and pretty much kept Piatti quiet all game.

As others have said, those last two goals were due to a lack of a DM and Drogba.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Well all Montreal needs now is a 2-0 result at home, pretty good odds Montreal can get that not out of the question, too many changes at the end, all on Vanney at the end.
    We win 4-2 playing our kids against their DPs and......we get vintage Toronto sports opinions.

Their defence without Ciman is bad. We will have all our normal back 5 available and ready to go.

We will have Cheyrou and Johnson available.

We will have Seba.

We are as likely to score 2 as give up 2.

Remember, we score 1, they have to score 3.

We score 2, they have to score 4.

If we somehow score 3,they have to score 6.

Much rather be us.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-01-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamilton scored both with his left? Nice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Report from the Ottawa-Vancouver game.

Shocked at how poorly Vancouver played, Ottawa was full value for the win, and really could/should have had one or two more. They did it without de Jong or JDG. With ease. Vancouver sat Manneh and Romero until they were down, but they didn't do much when they came on.

Jonny Steele is in Ottawa and dominated the game. Check out his goal. I don't get why this guy isn't able to stick in MLS. He sure has been a dominant player in Champions League, I remember him killing us years ago when he played in Puerto Rico.

Ottawa fans don't understand soccer much - there was confusion all around me about how extra time worked, and, amusingly, every ball that went into the crowd turned into a tussle, fans think they get to keep them like at a hockey game.

There is a lot of potential here. Nice stadium. Energetic little supporters group (they have one song, "We got the Fury, we got the Fury, we got the Fury, here we go", sung over and over to the tune of "We're not going to take it".)

I have new found respect for NASL soccer. The gap between MLS and NASL isn't huge.

Makes me wonder about a Canadian league someday.

It's a great day when TFC win and Montreal and Vancouver lose.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-01-2016 at 09:34 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good result considering the lineup we played, but really hard to swallow in the end. We basically had it wrapped up at 4-0. To be up a man and let in 2 goals in the last 10 minutes is very dissapointing.

Having said that, if we play our best possible lineup next week we have a good chance of getting a result. I hope Vanney doesn't get cocky fielding the C team again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointing finish to an otherwise tremendous performance by our youngsters.

Gotta put in a really solid effort next week to wrap this up now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to watch us leave that door open.

Not sure why we thought we needed 5. At least we know we better come out offensively in a week.

Also, Bernier is an ass. Embarassed I share a passport cover with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    It's a good result considering the lineup we played, but really hard to swallow in the end. We basically had it wrapped up at 4-0. To be up a man and let in 2 goals in the last 10 minutes is very dissapointing.

Having said that, if we play our best possible lineup next week we have a good chance of getting a result. I hope Vanney doesn't get cocky fielding the C team again.
    Its good character building for the youngsters?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We win 4-2 playing our kids against their DPs and......we get vintage Toronto sports opinions.

Their defence without Ciman is bad. We will have all our normal back 5 available and ready to go.

We will have Cheyrou and Johnson available.

We will have Seba.

We are as likely to score 2 as give up 2.

Remember, we score 1, they have to score 3.

We score 2, they have to score 4.

If we somehow score 3,they have to score 6.

Much rather be us.
    I hope so, I needed to read some optimism.

I went into this game thinking it would be really tough for us to get anything based on our reserves and mtl's first team attack.

Then the boys showed up and played with heart, passion, proving their worth and taking their chances. It was a great display for 85 minutes.
    Osorio, Hamilton, Babouli, Cheyrou, Morgan and Hagglund (shut down drogba aerially with his massive hops) all had a stellar game.
    I was in euphoria. It was guaranteed we were going to the finals.

Then the last 5 minutes happened, Vanney put on 2 more youngsters who I dont think were ready and it was just too many reserves-maybe he has his reasons.
    Then we were backpeddaling and let in 2 costly goals, very costly goals. 2-0 would have been much better than 4-2. I could have lived with 3-1 but 4-2 is a hard bite to swallow.

Bittersweet feeling right now. Very happy for that brave performance the kids brought out as a team. Bitter because I truly feel like its 50/50 next game. Mtl can win 2-0 at home and we can be out on aggregate. I wanted to have a relaxing week but now all tense for next wednesday. I hope we pull it off, I really want to get back to the CCL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanneys training week will be all 100% quick counter attacking football. TFC will bunker deep, and try to break out on turn overs.
    2-2 final. You heard it here first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Vanneys training week will be all 100% quick counter attacking football. TFC will bunker deep, and try to break out on turn overs.
    I hope you're right. A 2-1 loss would be just fine as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    I think whoever scores first will win.

Originally Posted by Auzzy
    Personally I believe that whoever scores the most goals will win.

Hopefully you're both right!!!!!
    Uncanny predictions, eh?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hard not to be frustrated coughing up 2 late goals like that. But let's face the fact. We would all have been delighted with a 4-2 win before the game started and after seeing the line up.

It was a fantastic performance till about 85 min mark. I hope that the kids learned the hard lesson today. Soccer is a 90min game and you cannot afford to slack off for one second.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ensco: Good insights and agree with much you've said; I was also at the match although Ottawa is where I live.

My two cents: Jonny Steele has shown very little this season. This game was unusual in that he did very well which I didn't expect. Also the energetic little supporters group is actually two distinct ones and I can tell you, there are many more songs than what you've quoted, including a few in French (this is a bilingual city after all). As for the fans not understanding soccer much, I'd say no more or no less than some of the fans I've heard at BMO Field since Season One. If you go over to Section W, the knowledge would be on par with 112 or 113.
    Last edited by JamboAl; 06-01-2016 at 10:31 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was at the game, fantastic atmosphere ( although if you are not in the supporters end all you hear is loud noise, not words or songs) ( and why was someone singing O Canada, that's our job) and fantastic to see the performances. I'd single out Cheyrou, Osorio, Morgan, Hagglund, and Hamilton, with Babouli and Lovitz looking pretty good too.

i am very disappointed that Vanney subbed the young guys on, 4-0 or 4-1 was an excellent result and he should have kept things the way they were to ensure the result. Cheyrou yes, he was hurt and this is the first game back, but why Lovitz? It was almost like he didn't care about the Cup. Really too bad. And earlier in the game I was praising him for putting Osorio at 10 and Lovitz on the wing - he did the opposite last game which, predictably, did not work.

After this game, how are they going to keep Morgan out of the starting line up? His crosses were very good and he often marked Drogba, and always well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I'd like to put Ivy up against a Hive Mind and see who wins.

I thought they did great tonight. No Drogba, No goals for Montreal. He's been consistently one of the best forwards on the planet for more than a decade.

Hamilton and Babouli both looked good. I don't know that they create that much space against a-grade mls defenses, but Hamilton proved tonight he can create a shot when he needs to and finish well.