Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    As a fellow NSS alumni, it meant a lot to me. Hope to see him get even more minutes this season. He looked great last night against Piatti, Oduro and Drogba.
    yep he had a great game...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

And babouli is really turning into something special. Its like watching a Dero in the making. Hopefully he can work on his shot accuracy, he really needs that to complete the package
    his decision making has greatly improved since his first game. still a little too selfish at times, but the kid has technique and he's starting to figure out his league. He might explode once he gets his first goal. Seems like one of those players that rides on momentum
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we had starting defence on the bench, there was no reason to put kids in that arent even on the team in this game. Bad coaching move, really bad.
    I'm wasn't too pleased with the 2 late goals but what can you do. It's important to give the kids somewhat important minutes to learn and grow. Stuff like this helps them. That's how young players get real game, not MLS garbage time, experience. And they played well enough to win the match and some showed they may be able to help going forward. If we got blown out in this then I could see the point of complaining about the line up and subs but complaining about winning a match handily with youngsters is classic RPB board fodder.

Let me put it like this; if Montreal started mostly a youth squad plus a couple of vets returning from injury at home against us, with our two DPs like they had yesterday (let's say a forward Altidore & and a Mid Bradley) with Seba injured and we lost 4-2 then Bradley's and Altidore's graves would be dug and the grave markers would be being etched before the players even showered. Vanney would be called out for tactics, player selection, and not playing enough Canadians since they have more 'heart' for this event. Bez would be called out for not addressing squad depth, for not fixing our defensive woes, and for handicapping our squad with contracts for our loser DPs. And lastly MLSE would be called out again for never building a winner at anything and not caring about TFC. Then people would predict the team will fold soon and the stands will be empty by the end of summer, just around the time we fire Vanney, Bez, and everyone and we start over and miss the playoffs again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Let me put it like this; if Montreal started mostly a youth squad plus a couple of vets returning from injury at home against us, with our two DPs like they had yesterday (let's say a forward Altidore & and a Mid Bradley) with Seba injured and we lost 4-2 then Bradley's and Altidore's graves would be dug and the grave markers would be being etched before the players even showered. Vanney would be called out for tactics, player selection, and not playing enough Canadians since they have more 'heart' for this event. Bez would be called out for not addressing squad depth, for not fixing our defensive woes, and for handicapping our squad with contracts for our loser DPs. And lastly MLSE would be called out again for never building a winner at anything and not caring about TFC. Then people would predict the team will fold soon and the stands will be empty by the end of summer, just around the time we fire Vanney, Bez, and everyone and we start over and miss the playoffs again.
    *slow clap*.......

I'm not thrilled with the 2 late ones either, but this.....oh man this......hammer, nail, head and all that.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wasn't too pleased with the 2 late goals but what can you do. It's important to give the kids somewhat important minutes to learn and grow. Stuff like this helps them. That's how young players get real game, not MLS garbage time, experience. And they played well enough to win the match and some showed they may be able to help going forward. If we got blown out in this then I could see the point of complaining about the line up and subs but complaining about winning a match handily with youngsters is classic RPB board fodder.

This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we had starting defence on the bench, there was no reason to put kids in that arent even on the team in this game. Bad coaching move, really bad.

forgot how a sweet of a long pass haglund has too. He has to be worth something in a trade.

Interesting Williams wasnt dressed.
    Believe he is injured

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day a two goal lead is still a good result. It's just less spectacular than 4-0 or 4-1 which we were close to. We legitimately put out as green of a lineup as we could and came away with the win. Montreal played with pretty close to as good of a team as they have available. You have to give these kids opportunities to learn and remember they got you 4 goals in the first place, rather than simply say "if we rolled up the windows in minute X and went back to the usual suspects" ...

I mean it really takes some balls to critique a 4-2 win where you start a prospect at striker and he bags you his first two professional goals and a guy who is noted for his lack of finishing prowled bags the other two while playing from midfield.

That was a disproportionately good outing, and it saves our players for league play (aka the competition that really matters).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We kinda feel apart when they put on Salazar and Drogba started to play and after we took of Cheyrou. We didn't have many first team people on defense. It was mentioned that Montreal had a B Team defense.. but so did we. They had 3 DPs on the pitch. Cheyrou kept the kids organized. He came of and they started to panic just a little which allowed the one goal. The other was a silly hand ball that was just poor timing and needless but was just a bad moment and happens to everyone at some point.

We scored 4 times because for the first time we played as a team, and didn't play give Seba the ball and close your eyes. Vanney needs to start playing Gio as a piece of the whole not the piece the whole supports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd half much more so than the 1st, he seemed to be still figuring things out in the 1st half. But his intensity and confidence were great to see

And babouli is really turning into something special. Its like watching a Dero in the making. Hopefully he can work on his shot accuracy, he really needs that to complete the package
    He (like Dero) are players we don't develop too often in Canada. He has a spark about him that I really enjoy and surprisingly he hasn't had the creativity coached out of him yet! I only see him getting better with more time on the pitch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

frustrating end to the game losing 2 late goals to 10 men at home. Drogba turned a great result into a decent result within 4 mins.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty74 View Post
    frustrating end to the game losing 2 late goals to 10 men at home. Drogba turned a great result into a decent result within 4 mins.
    It's what players like him do if they get half a chance. Unfortunately, he got his half chances and he buried them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We start Seba & Johnson next week along with our regular defenders and I say we get out of this with a draw minimum. With that Ciman-less defense I don't see a clean sheet being in the cards for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo1985 View Post
    Lol for real? Ballsy move
    Yep sitting in the corner. Had to double take for a second. Really balsy of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Section R, north stand.

My comment wasn't fair, the fact that there is a limited soccer culture in Ottawa has nothing to do with the potential, which was very obvious.

MLS caliber stadium, for starters. Well worth the trip if TFC plays Ottawa in the final.
    Um, Section R is in the South Stands. They're nice seats near centre. Usually those are filled with knowledgeable fans, but I guess since they weren't part of the regular season package, they got bought by others. Thanks for the nice comments about the stadium. It looks like they're building additional seating in the one end zone. My seats are usually in the supporters section. I hope you had a chance to get down there and talk to some of them. It was a pretty tactically shrewd move by the club to put the supporters behind the visitor's bench.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We start Seba & Johnson next week along with our regular defenders and I say we get out of this with a draw minimum. With that Ciman-less defense I don't see a clean sheet being in the cards for them.
    No Ciman, no Cabrera, no Toia... I dunno the status on Donadel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    No Ciman, no Cabrera, no Toia... I dunno the status on Donadel.
    No Bernier lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    No Bernier lol
    I love that we're laughing now. Yesterday when the line ups came out, my blood pressure went up, heart rate elevated... I felt sick. Happy that it's our game to lose now, not an impossible mountain to climb like everybody predicted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I love that we're laughing now. Yesterday when the line ups came out, my blood pressure went up, heart rate elevated... I felt sick. Happy that it's our game to lose now, not an impossible mountain to climb like everybody predicted.
    So did I but that's because i had to emergency capo the game in 116... thankfully the team had my back, reverse scoreline and it would have been awful.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    I think maybe 8000 if they are lucky but will announce 21000 lol, a combination of many people are starting to figure out this team may be the same old crappy team like every other year with the crappy last set of bad home game results and last Saturday's massacre in New Jersey. The Voyageur Cup is just a hard sell, weeknight game, many players missing and the Jays are on a bit of a hot streak playing the Yankees down the street, and you got yourself a formula for a friends and family kind of crowd.
    8000 crowd if lucky?
    same old crappy team?

I think you can stop drinking the negativity Koolaid. These predictions were beyond wrong.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    don't know if its been mentioned yet, but was so happy to see Morgan wear the armband after Cheyrou was subbed....great stuff for Ashtone!
    I did not see that, its great. And deserved. Vanney has handled him very well in terms of his improved play. Now he just needs more minutes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's all a straw man. There is nothing wrong with saying "Vanney got the selections and tactics spot on, and the players came out motivated. But his last two subs were disastrous. He should have subbed in people to keep the clean sheet given the importance of away goals." Imagine if a Premier League coach did this in a Champions League game, the media and supporters would be howling. If we can't make that kind of comment, what are these boards for?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was mostly happy with the lineups and subs. The kids played great.

The only thing I was not happy with, was the Chapman for Cheyrou sub. As mentioned above, Cheyrou had a key role in this mostly young lineup. I understand that Cheyrou was gassed after injury and needed to come out. But Chapman was the wrong replacement. He's gotten enough first team minutes, no need to give him more experience in that situation (with Johnson & Bradley also gone). We've seen enough from Chapman to know he's not going to do much to maintain possession, nor will he provide significant defensive cover in midfield -- the things we needed most at the end, with Cheyrou (and Johnson and Bradley) not on the field.

After Cheyrou was gone, suddenly Montreal had acres of space in midfield. Also they looked like they were a man up, rather than the other way around. I think Osorio was switched to a holding midfield role, at least for part of the time after Cheyrou left?? Also not a role Osorio does well.

Looking at the available subs, and if Cheyrou had to come out, I might have put Morrow in at LB; then told Morgan to buzz around in front of the defense to break things up (as well as going forward cautiously). Or put in Perquis or Moor as a third defender, going 3 or 5 at the back, giving the wingbacks a bit more opportunity to help in the defensive midfield (or bomb forward as appropriate).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually was impressed throughout most of the game how motivated the players were and thinking Vanney has to be at least part of that (the other part is that Canadian players would be specially motivated).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be clear, for me, this was the best team play I have seen from TFC in a long time, and proved that Oso, Morgan, Hagglund and Lovitz deserve more first team minutes. It also showed that Babouli and Hamilton are developing nicely. Cheyrou was immense. Delgado and Zavaleta were ok, although he (Z) and Beitashour had a brain cramp on the first Mtl goal. Incredible pleasure to watch the game at BMO and here the wall of noise from the South end. Great day. The only "but" for me is that a 4-0 win would have been historic, not just a great day. That's why I have commented about Vanney's choice of substitutes.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 06-02-2016 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I actually was impressed throughout most of the game how motivated the players were and thinking Vanney has to be at least part of that (the other part is that Canadian players would be specially motivated).
    Yes. it is interesting because the starters had not looked motivated the past three games, particularly NYC. I was inclined to blame Vanney but perhaps some of them need to have a seat and know that their position is under threat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I was mostly happy with the lineups and subs. The kids played great.

The only thing I was not happy with, was the Chapman for Cheyrou sub. As mentioned above, Cheyrou had a key role in this mostly young lineup. I understand that Cheyrou was gassed after injury and needed to come out. But Chapman was the wrong replacement. He's gotten enough first team minutes, no need to give him more experience in that situation (with Johnson & Bradley also gone). We've seen enough from Chapman to know he's not going to do much to maintain possession, nor will he provide significant defensive cover in midfield -- the things we needed most at the end, with Cheyrou (and Johnson and Bradley) not on the field.

After Cheyrou was gone, suddenly Montreal had acres of space in midfield. Also they looked like they were a man up, rather than the other way around. I think Osorio was switched to a holding midfield role, at least for part of the time after Cheyrou left?? Also not a role Osorio does well.

Looking at the available subs, and if Cheyrou had to come out, I might have put Morrow in at LB; then told Morgan to buzz around in front of the defense to break things up (as well as going forward cautiously). Or put in Perquis or Moor as a third defender, going 3 or 5 at the back, giving the wingbacks a bit more opportunity to help in the defensive midfield (or bomb forward as appropriate).
    I like where you are going with this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    To be clear, for me, this was the best team play I have seen from TFC in a long time, and proved that Oso, Morgan, Hagglund and Lovitz deserve more first team minutes. It also showed that Babouli and Hamilton are developing nicely. Cheyrou was immense. Delgado and the coaches nephew were ok, although he and Beitashour had a brain cramp on the first Mtl goal. Incredible pleasure to watch the game at BMO and here the wall of noise from the South end. Great day. The only but for me is that a 4-0 win would have been historic, not just a great day. That's why I have commented about Vanney's choice of substitutes.

Agree completely re team play - a very enjoyable game to watch. I was really glad the younger guys got a chance to create chances without having Gio in the mix. Good for their confidence and it gives Vanney more to think about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwhisperer View Post
    Agree completely re team play - a very enjoyable game to watch. I was really glad the younger guys got a chance to create chances without having Gio in the mix. Good for their confidence and it gives Vanney more to think about.
    was Delgado good anytime else, he made more than a few defensive mishaps. I feel he is regressing. Osario needs to be on Canada's team, and needs to play this position much more often on TFC. He always does well there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I like where you are going with this.
    really fees like vanney forgot drogba and piatti are still really freakn good and can make things happen on their own