Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-0 means a more empty stadium too. 4-2 wont be.

Would love to see us bang in a quick one next week. If we score 2, we'll win.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd like to put Ivy up against a Hive Mind and see who wins.

I thought they did great tonight. No Drogba, No goals for Montreal. He's been consistently one of the best forwards on the planet for more than a decade.

Hamilton and Babouli both looked good. I don't know that they create that much space against a-grade mls defenses, but Hamilton proved tonight he can create a shot when he needs to and finish well.
    it was Mtl's B team on defence
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'd like to put Ivy up against a Hive Mind and see who wins.

I thought they did great tonight. No Drogba, No goals for Montreal. He's been consistently one of the best forwards on the planet for more than a decade.

Hamilton and Babouli both looked good. I don't know that they create that much space against a-grade mls defenses, but Hamilton proved tonight he can create a shot when he needs to and finish well.
    yes. And they played well with the ball too. Most importantly, it was fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing the highlights, I'm impressed. Lots of skill and good combo play on the goals. Although Montreal's marking was atrocious.

The late goals aren't the story, TFC's overall game is the story. Vancouver played their kids and looked like they didn't belong in NASL.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was far more encouraging a performance than May. Really like Morgan's play - he is a dangerous crosser of the ball. Osario had a great game as well. I thought we were going to get a hiding to be honest. So the result should be satisfying - Drogba left alone with kids is going to do that. Next week we will have Will Johnson and Cheyroux and our starting line up in defence. I'd be tempted to play Morgan on left wing Delgado on the right ..Oso as #10 and Gio in a free attacking roles. That should do the job..play for 0-0 draw and the odd counter attack.

This is a good confidence builder for the youngsters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    That was far more encouraging a performance than May. Really like Morgan's play - he is a dangerous crosser of the ball. Osario had a great game as well. I thought we were going to get a hiding to be honest. So the result should be satisfying - Drogba left alone with kids is going to do that. Next week we will have Will Johnson and Cheyroux and our starting line up in defence. I'd be tempted to play Morgan on left wing Delgado on the right ..Oso as #10 and Gio in a free attacking roles. That should do the job..play for 0-0 draw and the odd counter attack.

This is a good confidence builder for the youngsters.
    Given that Altidore is still out, I think Hamilton earned some time with the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just caught the highlights, the kids looked good!

And that dive by Piatti at the end LOL. Grabbing your face when someone pushes your chest. Typical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should that late free kick been given? Looked a lot like ball to hand to me. Sigh.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    it was Mtl's B team on defence
    Where's the main players? Ciman gone, where's the rest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    i am very disappointed that Vanney subbed the young guys on, 4-0 or 4-1 was an excellent result and he should have kept things the way they were to ensure the result. Cheyrou yes, he was hurt and this is the first game back, but why Lovitz? It was almost like he didn't care about the Cup. Really too bad. And earlier in the game I was praising him for putting Osorio at 10 and Lovitz on the wing - he did the opposite last game which, predictably, did not work.
    At 4-0 with 10 minutes left, can you really blame him for giving a couple kids a reward and putting them on? Besides, I don't think his subs had anything to do with Montreal's goals. That was all Drogba. No other player in the league could take down that hopeful long ball like he did and play that pass, and no one else is that automatic on free kicks. He was poor and we were good for the rest of the game, but on those plays, he beat us. Tip your hat and move on IMO.

Hamilton showed his eye for goal today, really happy to see him take his chance because he's struggled recently. I thought Babouli put in another one of his typical performances. He's dangerous around the edge of the box, seems to have a great sense for making that quick move and delivering a killer pass. At times though he struggles deeper in midfield or tries to do too much with the ball. He will improve a lot if he tries to play simpler until he gets into those dangerous areas. Morgan was good as well, I wonder if he sneaks into the eleven next week, though now that it's a defense-first approach given the aggregate score he may not be able to displace Morrow. Lovitz' best game of the year as well.

Tactically, the 4-2-3-1 worked well today. I'm wondering if maybe we should switch to it full time, because it's really the only way to incorporate Cheyrou, who's a luxury player, excellent, but still a luxury. I'm not sure you can safely play him in a diamond or 3 man midfield, he'll get overrun. But now that Bradley is actually dedicated to the DM role, maybe the answer is to play him alongside Bradley as the two in front of the CBs. Assuming a full strength roster, it would mean Altidore plays up top and Giovinco at LAM. Could work. Also allows Osorio to play the #10 role, which is definitely his best position. Johnson would be a bit misplaced at RAM... but given our recent scoring issues if I was Vanney I would really try to come up with a way to get Cheyrou into the team, he just controls things so well with the ball, both with his passing range and his dribbling. That pass he played to Babouli on Hamilton's first goal - pretty sure every other player on our team would have just slid the ball on the ground to Babouli before he made the run, and by the time he got it he probably would have had players on his back. Cheyrou sees the play before it happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching that replay again of the red card, Gantar is such a clueless boob. Everyone starts getting into it and he just stands there with his card in the air.

By far the worst official out there. Has no idea how to manage a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    At 4-0 with 10 minutes left, can you really blame him for giving a couple kids a reward and putting them on? Besides, I don't think his subs had anything to do with Montreal's goals. That was all Drogba. No other player in the league could take down that hopeful long ball like he did and play that pass, and no one else is that automatic on free kicks. He was poor and we were good for the rest of the game, but on those plays, he beat us. Tip your hat and move on IMO.

Hamilton showed his eye for goal today, really happy to see him take his chance because he's struggled recently. I thought Babouli put in another one of his typical performances. He's dangerous around the edge of the box, seems to have a great sense for making that quick move and delivering a killer pass. At times though he struggles deeper in midfield or tries to do too much with the ball. He will improve a lot if he tries to play simpler until he gets into those dangerous areas. Morgan was good as well, I wonder if he sneaks into the eleven next week, though now that it's a defense-first approach given the aggregate score he may not be able to displace Morrow. Lovitz' best game of the year as well.

Tactically, the 4-2-3-1 worked well today. I'm wondering if maybe we should switch to it full time, because it's really the only way to incorporate Cheyrou, who's a luxury player, excellent, but still a luxury. I'm not sure you can safely play him in a diamond or 3 man midfield, he'll get overrun. But now that Bradley is actually dedicated to the DM role, maybe the answer is to play him alongside Bradley as the two in front of the CBs. Assuming a full strength roster, it would mean Altidore plays up top and Giovinco at LAM. Could work. Also allows Osorio to play the #10 role, which is definitely his best position. Johnson would be a bit misplaced at RAM... but given our recent scoring issues if I was Vanney I would really try to come up with a way to get Cheyrou into the team, he just controls things so well with the ball, both with his passing range and his dribbling. That pass he played to Babouli on Hamilton's first goal - pretty sure every other player on our team would have just slid the ball on the ground to Babouli before he made the run, and by the time he got it he probably would have had players on his back. Cheyrou sees the play before it happens.
    disagree with your first point, agree with the second and third. We were in full control a man and 4-0 up, and lost control of the game when the two TFC II players came on. While the goals immediate cause was Drogba's individual brilliance, you could feel that Montreal had taken over for several minutes before the first one. We had lost our shape and discipline. It's too bad because Morgan, Hamilton, etc deserved to end the game on a high. If it was a league game and all that mattered was the three points, maybe, but in a Cup game with the away goals rule it was a very poor decision to make two unneeded substitutions.

as for the formation, it's a really interesting issue. When Altidore is back you have to play variants of 4-4-2. Would be interesting to see the 4-2-3-1 with Seba on the wing but it is pretty unlikely IMHO because of the defensive responsibilities required.

the first 85 minutes last night were so much fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    Should that late free kick been given? Looked a lot like ball to hand to me. Sigh.
    To me that 100% gets called because Drogba turned around and demanded it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Watching that replay again of the red card, Gantar is such a clueless boob. Everyone starts getting into it and he just stands there with his card in the air.

By far the worst official out there. Has no idea how to manage a game.
    Was going to tell him that at the bar last night. The whole officiating crew showed up at Joe's last night lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Report from the Ottawa-Vancouver game.

Shocked at how poorly Vancouver played, Ottawa was full value for the win, and really could/should have had one or two more. They did it without de Jong or JDG. With ease. Vancouver sat Manneh and Romero until they were down, but they didn't do much when they came on.

Jonny Steele is in Ottawa and dominated the game. Check out his goal. I don't get why this guy isn't able to stick in MLS. He sure has been a dominant player in Champions League, I remember him killing us years ago when he played in Puerto Rico.

Ottawa fans don't understand soccer much - there was confusion all around me about how extra time worked, and, amusingly, every ball that went into the crowd turned into a tussle, fans think they get to keep them like at a hockey game.

There is a lot of potential here. Nice stadium. Energetic little supporters group (they have one song, "We got the Fury, we got the Fury, we got the Fury, here we go", sung over and over to the tune of "We're not going to take it".)

I have new found respect for NASL soccer. The gap between MLS and NASL isn't huge.

Makes me wonder about a Canadian league someday.

It's a great day when TFC win and Montreal and Vancouver lose.
    Hey ensco, where were you sitting at the game? If you were in the north stands, then likely you weren't among the usual fans since its normally only the south stands that are open for the game. You probably saw spectators that came to see what all the fuss was about. The game was pretty heavily advertised on radio so I'm pleased that 9000+ showed up. Hopefully that will continue the upward trend. I get the feeling that the Fury will be an anchor team for giving the new Canadian League legitimacy. Speaking of, I was disappointed that there was no comment from Montigliani at half-time about this supposed league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Where's the main players? Ciman gone, where's the rest?
    Read the other day that 2 are away with international duty and 2 are injured.

They have no excuses though they put drogba, piatti, oduro and ontivero out and we put Hamilton, Lovitz, Osorio and Babouli.... looking at those two groups it would be hard to say we should outscore them 4-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpexxx View Post
    Funny, my buddy said the exact same thing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was totally this. Drogba asked for a couple handballs earlier in the game and I noticed a few times in the box he would try to chip the ball up to our defenders arms to get a penalty. He was after Gantar all night and he finally obliged him. There was no whistle until Drogba turned around and screamed at the ref.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Hey ensco, where were you sitting at the game? If you were in the north stands, then likely you weren't among the usual fans since its normally only the south stands that are open for the game. You probably saw spectators that came to see what all the fuss was about. The game was pretty heavily advertised on radio so I'm pleased that 9000+ showed up. Hopefully that will continue the upward trend. I get the feeling that the Fury will be an anchor team for giving the new Canadian League legitimacy. Speaking of, I was disappointed that there was no comment from Montigliani at half-time about this supposed league.
    Section R, north stand.

My comment wasn't fair, the fact that there is a limited soccer culture in Ottawa has nothing to do with the potential, which was very obvious.

MLS caliber stadium, for starters. Well worth the trip if TFC plays Ottawa in the final.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what it seemed like. Not sure if it was the right or wrong call, but it was made with a healthy dose of intimidation from Drogba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't lie, I expected our B team to get seriously damaged last night. The performance showed a lot of the reserve guys still have the drive to make the most of their opportunities, which is good to see. Can't expect that MTL will be as indifferent as last night at their home leg, though.

Also, given the scoreline, most anyone would have subbed in some newbies. Didn't work out so well but it wasn't bad game management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really disagree about the substitution of the newbies. This is a two game series and away goals count extra. The clean sheet was very important. A better sub would have been Morrow for babouli and push Morgan up to the wing. Drogba was trying to play off Morgan all night, I assume because he has the advantage on the long balls. Shore it up for the 4-0 win and then the big advantage going into montreal. If it was a league game, a different story, of course. Poor decision in those circumstances.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very exciting result but those two goals up a man really sting.

A 2-0 scoreline is technically better for us ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't know if its been mentioned yet, but was so happy to see Morgan wear the armband after Cheyrou was subbed....great stuff for Ashtone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Was going to tell him that at the bar last night. The whole officiating crew showed up at Joe's last night lol
    Lol for real? Ballsy move

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was that Dan Lovitz best performance in a TFC jersey last night?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Was that Dan Lovitz best performance in a TFC jersey last night?
    More than likely, really liked that he was cutting in with his left foot from the right. He appears to be more effective going that route that having both him and either morrow or morgan trying to get to the same space to cross.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    don't know if its been mentioned yet, but was so happy to see Morgan wear the armband after Cheyrou was subbed....great stuff for Ashtone!

As a fellow NSS alumni, it meant a lot to me. Hope to see him get even more minutes this season. He looked great last night against Piatti, Oduro and Drogba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    More than likely, really liked that he was cutting in with his left foot from the right. He appears to be more effective going that route that having both him and either morrow or morgan trying to get to the same space to cross.
    2nd half much more so than the 1st, he seemed to be still figuring things out in the 1st half. But his intensity and confidence were great to see

And babouli is really turning into something special. Its like watching a Dero in the making. Hopefully he can work on his shot accuracy, he really needs that to complete the package

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I really disagree about the substitution of the newbies. This is a two game series and away goals count extra. The clean sheet was very important. A better sub would have been Morrow for babouli and push Morgan up to the wing. Drogba was trying to play off Morgan all night, I assume because he has the advantage on the long balls. Shore it up for the 4-0 win and then the big advantage going into montreal. If it was a league game, a different story, of course. Poor decision in those circumstances.
    we had starting defence on the bench, there was no reason to put kids in that arent even on the team in this game. Bad coaching move, really bad.

forgot how a sweet of a long pass haglund has too. He has to be worth something in a trade.

Interesting Williams wasnt dressed.