Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The American are so full of shit, if Canada can treat US players as domestic then the US can treat Canadians as such.

I think the best way to go about it is to make all CONCACAF players domestic, and international actually means coming from another FIFA region.

I'm glad The Guardian picked the story, it seems to have quite a few comments as well.
    agreed.....if the DOMESTIC LEAGUE is made up from cities in US and Canada, then its logical that the players from these countries qualify as such to all team as well....

but imo it would be a bit of a stretch to extend that to all CONCACAF players....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    agreed.....if the DOMESTIC LEAGUE is made up from cities in US and Canada, then its logical that the players from these countries qualify as such to all team as well....
    As it was in the original NASL .... which led to Canada qualifying for Mexico in 86!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The comments on that Guardian piece are almost as annoying as the pro/rel argument I walked into today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The comments on that Guardian piece are almost as annoying as the pro/rel argument I walked into today.
    With Kurt on Twitter? That was quite something.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I should know better.

I don't care what your viewpoint is, when you have to resort to subtweeting along the lines of "see this the limit of the arguement the other side has", you are not worth engaging with.

I get the pro/rel discussion but Ted's turned it into a near cult down there with aspects of Libertarianism. I havn't seen arguments like that since I was debating with fellow evangelical Christians back in the mid 80's back on net.flame.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    He can bloviate all he wants, but he's in a weak position. The CSA needs MLS more than it needs the CSA. Pull the three Canadian clubs from the league and they have 3 American clubs waiting to replace them. Watch the interest in the ex-MLS clubs plummet and the other teams in the new Canadian league give up on ever competing for the table since they can't match their expenditure. Watch MLSE drop TFC like a hot potato when revenue drops well below expenditures, selling the franchise to relocate south of the border. It would be a disaster for Canadian soccer. We just have to take our lumps for another 20 years until a Canadian league becomes viable.
    MLS has done more for canadian soccer development than the CSA ever has and we're still only in the beginning.

But I do agree that Canadian players should eventually be counted as domestic players as well. Canadian mls teams have done wonders for the league and with 17+ american teams, a few more Canadians won't kill them.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 09-13-2016 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    MLS has done more for canadian soccer development than the CSA ever has and we're still only in the beginning.
    Really? Canada qualified for the World Cup and won the gold cup long before the mls was here. We haven't even qualified for the hex since the mls started in Canada.

So what exactly has mls done that is greater than those achievements?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Really? Canada qualified for the World Cup and won the gold cup long before the mls was here. We haven't even qualified for the hex since the mls started in Canada.

This is kind of true, but not really, once you know the facts. Truth is, the NASL developed all those 1986 players.

Canada qualified for that World Cup because the NASL folded in 1984 and literally none of the players were good enough to get jobs in Europe, so the national team players all lived in Vancouver, got part time jobs in restaurants and lumberyards, and practiced every single day together for two years (until the 90s it was a lot tougher to catch on in Europe than it is now, leagues all had restrictions on foreign players).

The team that had a little bit of that going on recently was New Zealand at WC 2010. Aside from the 3 or 4 top guys, they all lived in NZ, and had the time and setup to play and train a lot together. NZ was the only undefeated team at the 2010 World Cup, I kid you not!
    Last edited by ensco; 09-13-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The American are so full of shit, if Canada can treat US players as domestic then the US can treat Canadians as such.

I think the best way to go about it is to make all CONCACAF players domestic, and international actually means coming from another FIFA region.

I'm glad The Guardian picked the story, it seems to have quite a few comments as well.
    I'd be interested to hear from an employment lawyer on this. By giving Americans preferential status in Canada over other non-Canadians it would appear to me they've run afoul of labour laws.

Probably never comes to the forefront unless someone challenges it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada has never had a worthy domestic league.
    The semi-pro canadian soccer league with all teams based in ontario and gta is the closest it's ever come to and that was a joke.

The provincial teams and scouting have been a joke. Modern day academies have done more for exposing youth canadian talent than the CSA has.

The CSA has always been in turmoil and consumed by politics. It is just now slowly getting it's shit together.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Guardian article was great.
    Domestic leagues and divisions are key to international success and given the hockey precedent, possible.
    A Canadian wanting earn a living playing football has shitty options and limited growth potential.
    It may take an outspoken 'football-Gretzky' (to join the Galaxy) and open the door for others.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'd be interested to hear from an employment lawyer on this. By giving Americans preferential status in Canada over other non-Canadians it would appear to me they've run afoul of labour laws.

Probably never comes to the forefront unless someone challenges it.
    Under NAFTA, I think you can easily have preferential treatment of US Americans in Canada (and Canadians in the US, if MLS cared to implement that). Only the Mexicans might have a beef about that. Anyway, MLS is essentially a company with franchises in two countries, so it seems they would have a fair bit of leeway on how to arrange things between those countries. Plus other leagues seem to have special consideration for Canadians & US Americans in both countries w/o a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it feasible to think Montagliani has finally made this threat of pulling the 3 teams from MLS unless something is changed because he is no longer just the head of the CSA (where the US could care less what he thinks), but also the head of CONCACAF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default whole debate is moot at this point

Quote Originally Posted by ou8jonesy View Post
    Is it feasible to think Montagliani has finally made this threat of pulling the 3 teams from MLS unless something is changed because he is no longer just the head of the CSA (where the US could care less what he thinks), but also the head of CONCACAF.
    I would like to know other than Atiba Hutchinson who would cost a lot, how many canadians are good enough to replace american players on mls teams. Please, lets be realistic here. TFC, IMPACT, WHITECAPS have only now started to employ canadians. TFC usually have two starters, Vancouver one and sometimes two and Impact, one and sometimes two. A total of 6 CDNS starting on Canadian teams. The article quoted ISSY who couldnt keep his job in MTL. AND, must i remind everyone here that very few fans wanted RICKETSS on tfc and i think he is an above average CDN player. I would like to know how many more CDNS would be playing in MLS if the restriction were lifted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't make a difference. MLS doesn't need the Canadian Teams anymore. If the Prez of CONCACAF tries to force MLS (via the USSF) to do anything, you'll quickly see where the power really lies (unless he can get Mexico to pressure the US).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DYNAMO View Post
    I would like to know other than Atiba Hutchinson who would cost a lot, how many canadians are good enough to replace american players on mls teams. Please, lets be realistic here. TFC, IMPACT, WHITECAPS have only now started to employ canadians. TFC usually have two starters, Vancouver one and sometimes two and Impact, one and sometimes two. A total of 6 CDNS starting on Canadian teams. The article quoted ISSY who couldnt keep his job in MTL. AND, must i remind everyone here that very few fans wanted RICKETSS on tfc and i think he is an above average CDN player. I would like to know how many more CDNS would be playing in MLS if the restriction were lifted.
    Striker: Haber, Hume and Jackson would all have decent shots at playing
    Mid: Piette, JDG would have had more options after his time in Dallas, Hoilett/Arfield/Hutch would certainly be good enough, Petrasso,
    D: Vitoria, Henry, Jakovic, James etc
    G: Borjan, Stamatopolous, Irving (better chance at being drafted last year).

A bunch of players would be given much more opportunity to earn a shot out of the academy system

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vitoria got an opportunity tbf

And he was shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Vitoria got an opportunity tbf

And he was shit.
    This is true, but all of philly was a disaster last season if he was a domestic he likely gets another shot somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think its feasible at all, yes TFC and Vancouver/Montreal have value combined, but really its a bold face lie, the three Canadian teams would go to a payroll of under 2 million if they went into NASL/CSL. No one would show up to a game. The Canadian teams would force Montagliani out if they wanted them banished to a lower league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The semi-pro canadian soccer league with all teams based in ontario and gta is the closest it's ever come to and that was a joke.

The provincial teams and scouting have been a joke. Modern day academies have done more for exposing youth canadian talent than the CSA has.

The CSA has always been in turmoil and consumed by politics. It is just now slowly getting it's shit together.
    You still haven't said what MLS has done for Canada that was better than qualifying for the world cup, winning the gold cup or making the hex. Any thoughts?

Also, semi pro league with all of the teams based in Ontario? You might need to fact check that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi...87%E2%80%9392)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite character player in MLS (and ex-TFC-er), Alan Gordon finally reaches 50 goals. He was featured quite a lot in Grant Wahl's book "the Beckham Experiment" as an ordinary MLS player who was deeply affected by the zoo surrounding Beckham.

http://www.lagalaxy.com/post/2016/09/13/alan-gordon-50th-career-mls-goal-its-something-i-never-thought-i-would-be-able-do

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CSL had a western division at times as well with Edmonton, Vancouver, Winnipeg. I think Victoria at one point. But you said "worthy" domestic league. CSL may not qualify....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Striker: Haber, Hume and Jackson would all have decent shots at playing
    Mid: Piette, JDG would have had more options after his time in Dallas, Hoilett/Arfield/Hutch would certainly be good enough, Petrasso,
    D: Vitoria, Henry, Jakovic, James etc
    G: Borjan, Stamatopolous, Irving (better chance at being drafted last year).

A bunch of players would be given much more opportunity to earn a shot out of the academy system
    Not a convincing lineup of players. Hutch and Hoilett simply would be too expensive and probably dp's. Jakovic, henry, vittoria, stamatopolous all played in MLS. James i thought was a liability for Canada and Petrasso hasnt made a name for himself. Haber, Hume and Jackson are on the decline. However, i will agree that a lot of fring american players are probably not much better but are in lineup because of their domesticity. Good players like DERO and Hainault and Serioux had no problem finding employment on u.s. teams. Once academy players like Alphonso Davies start to work out, i dont think they would have any problem landing on a u.s. team. TFC have only used five international spots and are competitive.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on the Bez quotes in that article, the 3 Canadian teams want this changed as well as it would allow them to move players out of their academies easier and make the academies more competitive with US based ones.

I think Montagliani put this out there for 3 reasons

a) Show the rest of CONCACAF that he can/will stand up to USSF

b) cement his relationship with the MLS teams a bit because he is...

c) beginnning the argument for a need for the CPL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DYNAMO View Post
    I agree with you to a degree.

To me the CSA has to light a fire under the Canadian teams to develop their own players. The problem is the US infrastructure already produces players, the Americans who run various parts of MLS teams in Canada are familiar with it and revert to it too easily.

TFC should have at least two academies given the size of the market they cover. The players on those junior teams should be local. TFC II shouldn't be a rehab centre or a means to get guys struggling at the first team level minutes.

Whatever happens at the first team level, I'll accept it. That's a bottom line business. But underneath, they are making some silly decisions IMO. They need to light a fire under Bent and Co. to start producing more first team ready players with higher potential ceilings.

Since Henry, Lindsay, and Morgan game through the product has been meddling.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-14-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Under NAFTA, I think you can easily have preferential treatment of US Americans in Canada (and Canadians in the US, if MLS cared to implement that). Only the Mexicans might have a beef about that. Anyway, MLS is essentially a company with franchises in two countries, so it seems they would have a fair bit of leeway on how to arrange things between those countries. Plus other leagues seem to have special consideration for Canadians & US Americans in both countries w/o a problem.
    The other leagues basically have no rules behind them. It's whoever the team wants makes the cut, no restrictions. As such nothing runs a foul of employment laws.

My general experience with cross boarder employment in my industry has suggested it's very much a customized agreement between countries in NA and not all parties are treated equal. But again, I'd defer to an expert.

The single entity thing might save them but who knows. In the end I think we can all agree the way they've constructed the rules is rediculous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You still haven't said what MLS has done for Canada that was better than qualifying for the world cup, winning the gold cup or making the hex. Any thoughts?

Also, semi pro league with all of the teams based in Ontario? You might need to fact check that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadi...87%E2%80%9392)
    So you linked a league that lasted for 5 years ? And half those teams didn't even make it past a year or two.

The current league for the last 10 years or so sees almost half it's clubs change every year.

That same league that is desanctioned by CSA for match fixing.

MLS has given Canada 3 teams and put soccer on a bigger stage in this country than it ever was(albeit old NASL but that was American too).
    Those 3 clubs now have youth academies, reserve sides which give Canadians more opportunities domestically. Look at the huge amount of money TFC invested in the Kia training ground. You now have a whole generation of kids growing up that see their respective MLS clubs as a chance to make it pro. We already have likes of Osorio, Hamilton, Babouli and many other being given chances they probably never would have received before.

It has also brought star players to Canada that we can watch live (giovinco, theirry henry, pirlo, villa, etc). We have a beautiful expanded stadium here in Toronto and montreal has their own as well.

It's obvious what MLS has done for Canada.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 09-14-2016 at 04:09 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

Rollins quotes VM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was supposedly coming soon last year too... I'm not getting my hopes up until they actually announce it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...-mls-academies

Pretty cool article on the FFA coaching course that Vanney and Dichio took. Sounds pretty intense but great
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano