Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Pardon my ignorance in this as I'm not involved whatsoever, but have the Capos' never met to discuss coordinating chants, or purchasing headsets so that they can lead their sections to align with the others?
    I am hoping this thread serves as a rebirth to those discussions.

The feedback from all corners is invaluable and should be taken into acount. Over a week until the next home game. I think it's time to talk to the club and see what options are available to us.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Pardon my ignorance in this as I'm not involved whatsoever, but have the Capos' never met to discuss coordinating chants, or purchasing headsets so that they can lead their sections to align with the others?
    There is still a delay with headsets.
    I know hand signals have been tried before, but they don't seem to work.

Unless you close the gaps - coordination is not going to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Blizzard is correct about 112 and 114.

114 often starts whatever they want on while chants are going on & 112 sped up chants on multiple occasions so 114 couldn't keep up. They even had a guy there trying to tell us and we didnt notice at all. We may think we are all loud but coming back to my seat durimg a giovinco chant, all three groups were out of sync. A lot of the time 114 can't hear us. Im at the top of 112 and there were times where i couldnt hear.

I will say this and I know its gonna be unpopular but the drum is too loud. It drowns out chants, it makes it hard to get in sync with 114 and from sections away it's all you hear when participation is low. We need 75% percent of 112 signing for the drum sound to be proporionate and we aren't close to that.

Id love to have a trail run where we bring a snare instead of the big drum.
    I've often wondered if a snare might be more effective. It's less loud but it would pierce through well. The bass drum is wonderful in so many ways of course but ya, a snare could work well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys,
    So I heard this thread was going so I finally cracked and got onto your forums.

I think there's a renewed sense of unity throughout all of the groups on the terrace. It's going to take some time to work out a system that will allow the whole stand to sync up; be patient and be helpful. Working through and past five to six years of poisonous shit is hard work so give people the benefit of the doubt.

Suggestions like all of the drums together (personally my favoured option along with all of the capos together in front of 113 and their mid capos spread out throughout their respective sections), bringing in a snare drum (we'll have one in 114 for June 1st, our guy with the snare couldn't make it on Saturday), ideas for songs or means by which the capos can better communicate are all welcome. I'll say this though and I think all of the capos will agree with me on this: don't fucking bring them to us during or right before the games. Besides that, we're always all ears.

This is a positive start to the season so let's not lose this opportunity to build something greater than 'the old days'. Those days were good but we can do better.

-Forever Red

Oh, also, the last line of It Happened Without Warning is: "For you I sweat and bleed", I've been hearing variations on it and I just wanted to clarify. It's got nothing to do with violence, if that's what some people's hesitation to sing it is but rather alluding to the idea that our passion and love for the club is so deep and integral to our spirit that we sweat and bleed TFC.

See you malakes on the the 1st.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, and we tried ear pieces with walkie talkies and they just sucked. The ear piece kept popping out, couldn't really hear anything and as far as optics go, makes us look like ice cream that you get out of a truck (soft).

Someone suggested getting speakers set up in front of the terrace and linking it up with a microphone. This is what Delije does at Marakana as well as Seattle and a whole bunch of other groups throughout the world. I think it would rock, especially if we can get all of the drums (Toronto Futsal Club guys included - those are the samba drums in the southwest you're hearing...super dope guys!) together in the middle somewhere. It would necessitate having a capo from each group in a central stand and then each capo would get a turn to lead a song or something. Their mid capos would then be placed at the front and in the middle of their sections and help to convey instructions and lead with their hands to the rest of their section.

Just an idea that's been bouncing around my head for a while.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Oh yeah, and we tried ear pieces with walkie talkies and they just sucked. The ear piece kept popping out, couldn't really hear anything and as far as optics go, makes us look like ice cream that you get out of a truck (soft).

Someone suggested getting speakers set up in front of the terrace and linking it up with a microphone. This is what Delije does at Marakana as well as Seattle and a whole bunch of other groups throughout the world. I think it would rock, especially if we can get all of the drums (Toronto Futsal Club guys included - those are the samba drums in the southwest you're hearing...super dope guys!) together in the middle somewhere. It would necessitate having a capo from each group in a central stand and then each capo would get a turn to lead a song or something. Their mid capos would then be placed at the front and in the middle of their sections and help to convey instructions and lead with their hands to the rest of their section.

Just an idea that's been bouncing around my head for a while.
    If you have a few capos on the same stand or a group of stands, you could have each one focus on an area of the south during the chants. They are on the same page, but focused on getting their particular area of the stand involved, so you get that "look me in the eye" feeling from the capo that helps get people singing. I know when I've been on the 112 stand and I turn to 111, they often respond very well. Flush does it, too.

It would be a challenge because following a capo at the front of each section only gets you a certain percentage of that section, never mind putting them all in the middle and trying to go out to the corners from there.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O(Toronto Futsal Club guys included - those are the samba drums in the southwest you're hearing...super dope guys!)....
    Aaaa...that explains a few things. Yup somebody move them together to be with and go with other drums please.

And please somebody get them to actually smile and look like they are enjoying themselves -

samba is not ice cold, ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys,
    So I heard this thread was going so I finally cracked and got onto your forums.

I think there's a renewed sense of unity throughout all of the groups on the terrace. It's going to take some time to work out a system that will allow the whole stand to sync up; be patient and be helpful. Working through and past five to six years of poisonous shit is hard work so give people the benefit of the doubt.

Suggestions like all of the drums together (personally my favoured option along with all of the capos together in front of 113 and their mid capos spread out throughout their respective sections), bringing in a snare drum (we'll have one in 114 for June 1st, our guy with the snare couldn't make it on Saturday), ideas for songs or means by which the capos can better communicate are all welcome. I'll say this though and I think all of the capos will agree with me on this: don't fucking bring them to us during or right before the games. Besides that, we're always all ears.
    I completely agree with this. Having all of the drummers together or spread out evenly throughout the rows would help with keeping everyone on beat. This would allow the drummers to see each other and stick to a beat. In regards to the capos, I have been reading about how the Timbers Army in Portland conduct their supporters section and it seems that they have many stands throughout the supporter section. Although their section is a lot bigger then ours, the overall ratio of capo stands to people is better in Portland. By having more capos and stands, specifically in 113 & 115 where the majority of these 'tourists' and 'casual' supporters sit, this may entice them to sing and get more involved rather than just simply watch the game. Someone also pitched the idea of having a capo mid stand. The shirtless guy in 114 who is a member of the Inebriatti does a great job of getting the fans in the upper levels involved, especially if they can't hear the capo at the bottom.
    i

One other thought is to try and teach a couple of the cheers/songs before the game to the people in these sections. I know we do this sometimes already but if we direct this to the 'casual fan' we may be able to unite the south end which many people here are talking about wanting.

I'm excited for June 1st, with all of this talk, hopefully we can implement some changes for the match!
    Last edited by Bardown Snipes; 05-24-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eli did you try this type of ear piece? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardown Snipes View Post
    The shirtless guy in 114 who is a member of the Inebriatti does a great job of getting the fans in the upper levels involved, especially if they can't hear the capo at the bottom.
    If he ever puts a shirt on, we're fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it helps the atmosphere when people drift in lethargically after the kick off. That for me is the biggest reason why the atmosphere has been much flatter after the home opener. It also looks particularly bad on TV. Against Columbus there on the weekend I'd estimate the East Stand ended up being 2/3rds full, however at the opening whistle you were lucky if a quarter of those people were in there seats. It was a ghost land. I really can't understand why these people cannot be in place on time, it's really not a big ask.

One reason could be these 'fans' are there on corporate giveaways and only there for a free event. The numbers in place at the final whistle would perhaps back this up. However this has always been an issue for Toronto sports franchises. Season seats are bought by companies in large numbers to hand out to their client as sweeteners. I myself have been a beneficiary of this given regular seats at the Gardens by suppliers when I worked for the old Eatons Ltd

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be honest, Toronto always has been a "drift in whenever" kinda town. There is really nothing we can do about people who don't show up on time. I will say if the "Oh when the reds" Were more of a stadium wide thing, it might get people in their seats. It may not be popular, but i really think it the words should be on the the screen (for the opening, every day chant only) . I guarantee there are some season ticket holders who would sing if that were the case.

Not to go too far off topic, but it also doesn't help that the 7:30 kickoffs against Vancouver and Dallas were at 7:48, and the 5:00 kickoff versus Columbus was at 5:00. Would love to know the rationale.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 05-24-2016 at 09:33 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be honest, Toronto always has been a "drift in whenever" kinda town. There is really nothing we can do about people who don't show up on time. I will say if the "Oh when the reds" Were more of a stadium wide thing, it might get people in their seats. It may not be popular, but i really think it the words should be on the the screen (for the opening, every day chant only) . I guarantee there are some season ticket holders who would sing if that were the case.

Not to go too far off topic, but it also doesn't help that the 7:30 kickoffs against Vancouver and Dallas were at 7:48, and the 5:00 kickoff versus Columbus was at 5:00. Would love to know the rationale.
    Its all about TV and if there is a pregame show. If the channel is going to air at 7 pm with 7:07 start, it's gives them a quick lead in.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    I don't think it helps the atmosphere when people drift in lethargically after the kick off. That for me is the biggest reason why the atmosphere has been much flatter after the home opener. It also looks particularly bad on TV. Against Columbus there on the weekend I'd estimate the East Stand ended up being 2/3rds full, however at the opening whistle you were lucky if a quarter of those people were in there seats. It was a ghost land. I really can't understand why these people cannot be in place on time, it's really not a big ask.

One reason could be these 'fans' are there on corporate giveaways and only there for a free event. The numbers in place at the final whistle would perhaps back this up. However this has always been an issue for Toronto sports franchises. Season seats are bought by companies in large numbers to hand out to their client as sweeteners. I myself have been a beneficiary of this given regular seats at the Gardens by suppliers when I worked for the old Eatons Ltd
    A lot of fans come in from out of town. Reduced GO train service with poor arrival times for the ones that are available, difficulty getting through under the tracks when coming from the east end(could take as much as 10 mins or more), Gardiner expressway closed for the weekend, and subway lines down for construction, all this with other sports events at similar times. I am more impressed at how many people actually even make it down at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really like this idea. If this is done at every game, I think it would catch on for sure. Might take some time, but eventually I could see it being a stadium wide song, rather than just the south stands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how viable this is but organizers of the supporters groups can help a bit with the empty stands at kick off.

Our group leaves the pub en mass about an hour before kick off. We have had a mini march before every game this year to get our members in the stands at least 30 mins before kick off.

When we aren't being totally drowned out by the PA music we cheer on the team during warm ups. It also gives us time to get our shit together and to tune up our voices for kick off.

ML$E sells game day experience to the casual fans. If more of the lakeshore terrace was filled in earlier then that might become a draw for some of those fans. At least get them out of the concourse.

This wouldn't make a huge difference but it wouldn't hurt either. Also a good time to maybe work on some songs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "not there right at the start" issue is found across the league apart from big games with the exception of the mighty amount of people that make up Timber's Army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagbod View Post
    Not sure how viable this is but organizers of the supporters groups can help a bit with the empty stands at kick off.

Our group leaves the pub en mass about an hour before kick off. We have had a mini march before every game this year to get our members in the stands at least 30 mins before kick off.

When we aren't being totally drowned out by the PA music we cheer on the team during warm ups. It also gives us time to get our shit together and to tune up our voices for kick off.

ML$E sells game day experience to the casual fans. If more of the lakeshore terrace was filled in earlier then that might become a draw for some of those fans. At least get them out of the concourse.

This wouldn't make a huge difference but it wouldn't hurt either. Also a good time to maybe work on some songs.
    I talked to them about this and i kinda got the kid with a new toy answer.

Many ideas have been put forward to the FO to try and get people in the stadium earlier but they have kinda gone untouched... probably time to revisit them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shirtless guy = Eli the INEBRIATTI capo.

Getting in early is key. By game time we are already warmed up. If others showed up before the stands fill in we may be able to sync better for the full 90. The capos will have a chance to work on communication.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bardown Snipes View Post
    Having all of the drummers together or spread out evenly throughout the rows would help with keeping everyone on beat. This would allow the drummers to see each other and stick to a beat.
    From my experience (drumming in 112), the drums can't be separated by more than a few feet, or they risk drifting out of sync with each other. We used to try having the main drum in row 6 and another one down in row three (trying to aim the sound towards 111) and it went off time quickly.

I've always found that the BEST sound happens when you put a bass drum and a treble drum (snare or high-tom or tambo etc) right next to each other so they can play perfectly in sync. This sound carries the best because you have both ends of the spectrum working together.

I know that one of the strengths of 112 has been the ability for the capo and drums to work together to adjust timing. Drums can slow down or speed up when directed to, and the capo can visually clap people into the rhythm of the drum.

On a larger topic (one I dont really have time to cover here at the moment) - there's a new crew in the space that used to be Tribal Rhythm Nation. I spoke with one of their main guys at the last match, and they are super pumped to get the south end rocking. Plus they did a VERY good job of toning down the drums when the moment required it. I gave them the explanation of how the capos and the current drums communicate, and that the drums are usually used a metronome to keep the songs in time, with some flourishes used at certain breaks (aka SALSA). They seem like a really good crew of drummers, with a huge amount of talent. I suggested that a couple of them come into 112 or 114 to see how the drums are used in our setups, and maybe make some mental notes on how their drumming can borrow some of the (basic) techniques that we use to work the crowd.

upwards!
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    naw, we're talking about the tall, bald shirtless guy who's a few rows up and faces due East (right into 113 and 112).

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InSuL1nImP View Post
    Eli did you try this type of ear piece? https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop
    Thats the type we tried last year and it didn't work.

Its simply too hard to work a mic, and do all the work required on the capo stand. Way too much visual and verbal communication coming in to those guys to be fumbling around with a walkie talkie or earpiece.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the absolutely simplest visual display (putting your hands up, or the 5-count down before a massive) works almost effortlessly.

Keep it simple stupid.

The next logical step would be to make some kind of basic flash card, just so we could show other people which chants are coming up before they hear it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    the absolutely simplest visual display (putting your hands up, or the 5-count down before a massive) works almost effortlessly.

Keep it simple stupid.

The next logical step would be to make some kind of basic flash card, just so we could show other people which chants are coming up before they hear it.
    Fashcards could be another idea and a runner. Flashcards are used in packed football stadiums for play calling. A runner could go between each capo and map out the next few chants/songs etc.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

naw, we're talking about the tall, bald shirtless guy who's a few rows up and faces due East (right into 113 and 112).
    His name's Boris. He does a good job of trying to link up chants.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post

Getting in early is key. By game time we are already warmed up. If others showed up before the stands fill in we may be able to sync better for the full 90. The capos will have a chance to work on communication.
    I was talking to a few supporters about this on Saturday. 20 minutes before kick-off and the 112 was practically empty while 114 was already going. We really need to get supporters into the ground early to warm up and even help set up banners, flags, etc.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a larger topic (one I dont really have time to cover here at the moment) - there's a new crew in the space that used to be Tribal Rhythm Nation. I spoke with one of their main guys at the last match, and they are super pumped to get the south end rocking. Plus they did a VERY good job of toning down the drums when the moment required it. I gave them the explanation of how the capos and the current drums communicate, and that the drums are usually used a metronome to keep the songs in time, with some flourishes used at certain breaks (aka SALSA). They seem like a really good crew of drummers, with a huge amount of talent. I suggested that a couple of them come into 112 or 114 to see how the drums are used in our setups, and maybe make some mental notes on how their drumming can borrow some of the (basic) techniques that we use to work the crowd.

upwards!
    Thanks for that. upwards indeed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup that's Boris

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not denying getting there early is better for athmosphere, but if there was a 15 minute capo powwow we could have to solve it, then this would be easy.

We struggle with getting people involved.
    We struggle with being able to hear each other.
    We struggle with reading the crowd.

I say this with all due respect to Capos, but there are way more people than not in the south who don't care that you're up there. They are there to watch first and contribute second.

Its all about how we bring em in. If we get loud, they'll want to be a part of it.