Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin10000 View Post
    I was talking to a few supporters about this on Saturday. 20 minutes before kick-off and the 112 was practically empty while 114 was already going. We really need to get supporters into the ground early to warm up and even help set up banners, flags, etc.
    Lets be careful about what games we choose to identify as a problem. Less than a weeks notice to a start time of a match where we had 3 games in one week....I give a lot of leeway to the heavy lifters and anyone who comes out to support to get in. The club didn't do anyone a huge favour in shifting that start time.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Lets be careful about what games we choose to identify as a problem. Less than a weeks notice to a start time of a match where we had 3 games in one week....I give a lot of leeway to the heavy lifters and anyone who comes out to support to get in. The club didn't do anyone a huge favour in shifting that start time.
    Fair comment for sure & I totally agree. However bottom of 114 was full and bottom of 112 was empty...It can be done.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Fair comment for sure & I totally agree. However bottom of 114 was full and bottom of 112 was empty...It can be done.
    It will get there, but after 10 long years supporting a team that has been less than stellar for at least 7 of those years (arguably more) I cut a lot of slack. I also appreciate and applaud what is going on in 114 pre match and during.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    I am hoping this thread serves as a rebirth to those discussions.

The feedback from all corners is invaluable and should be taken into acount. Over a week until the next home game. I think it's time to talk to the club and see what options are available to us.
    This thread has remained positive and constructive, as long as it stays that way it can only lead to unity and good ideas being shared between like minded supporters and groups.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It will get there, but after 10 long years supporting a team that has been less than stellar for at least 7 of those years (arguably more) I cut a lot of slack. I also appreciate and applaud what is going on in 114 pre match and during.
    Agreed again but you were there early as was my group of friends...It can and should be done.

It's a far better product on the field these days and they deserve the early appreciation...Players feed of it.
    Last edited by Bluenose13; 05-25-2016 at 10:14 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Agreed again but you were there early as was my group...It can and should be done.

It's a far better product on the field these days and they deserve the early appreciation...Players feed of it.
    7pm weekday games can be a little tough also the 5pm switch threw a number of people off. With mostly 730 kickoffs this year i hope people just treat it as a 7pm kickoff when planning to get to the games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silently following this thread for a bit, might as well chip in from another "capo" perspective.

This season, has been getting better and better linking up chants between 112, 113 and 114 as it has been in a very long while. Difficult with 116, due to the massive distance that they have to deal with. It seems like each week we get another chant going together, or we can keep it going a bit longer than the week before, and I honestly think we are slowly but surely getting to a point where most of the south end is united on chants. We heard on Saturday what it can be like. That slow clap that everyone was together for was magical.

Would I like to have more people in 113 singing? Absolutely, but I have never seen so many unfamiliar faces in 113 as I did on Saturday, so that will be something we will have to work with. However each section deals with this, and it is now a matter of getting all the fresh faces singing and participating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrew, that is an indictment of all of us then because it means we have been complacent and therefore complicit in allowing people with the wrong mentality onto Lakeshore Terrace. The club is trying to rectify this i.e. needing to go through an SG to get season seats on the terrace however the only true solution is GA, safe standing and a committment from the SGs to bring in people with a 90+ minute mentality.

I'm not saying that those people who don't hold that mentality don't have a place on Lakeshore Terrace because Toronto supporters are a microcosm of the city itself: diverse and multi faceted. I think a GA and safe standing zone, open to all members of all groups that want to be in a sector like that, would allow for a consolidation of individuals who want to follow a capo and bring the energy to stand together, regardless of their group, which I think would serve as an engine or a catlyst for those with more of a laid back mentality to get involved on their terms from the periphery of a GA/Safe Standing sector. So often I feel that our potential to be loud is lost in the transmission of a song between the small groups in each section that follow the capos and want to actively bring the energy. Imagine how loud that group of 200 or so could be if we were all together?!

This is what happens all over the world and would go a long way to ending the intergroup politics and conflicts. I know it's entirely different from what we've done in the past but I think the last few years have illustrated the need for radical change in order to get this ship righted and back on track. We can not be afraid to take chances and experiment. We are Toronto, we lead the way! Now is the time to have open minds, to be willing to experiment and take risks, to look forward rather than dwelling on a short and inglorious past. The only thing we should fear is running out of beer.

-Forever Red

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just one more point about arriving early. Consider this, musicians and athletes don't show up right at game time. They prepare and warm up.
    People walking into the stand at game time won't be ready to turn it up to 11 right away. Plus like I said it'll give the capos a little rehearsal time together.
    We arrive really early probably that is too much for most people. But perhaps even 15 minutes before KO would help.
    We've all been around for a while and put up with our politics and terrible teams year after year. Let's just move on. We have a lot of people with influence in this thread let's take this sense of collaboration back to our groups.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Belfast_Boy View Post
    Just one more point about arriving early. Consider this, musicians and athletes don't show up right at game time. They prepare and warm up.
    People walking into the stand at game time won't be ready to turn it up to 11 right away. Plus like I said it'll give the capos a little rehearsal time together.
    We arrive really early probably that is too much for most people. But perhaps even 15 minutes before KO would help.
    We've all been around for a while and put up with our politics and terrible teams year after year. Let's just move on. We have a lot of people with influence in this thread let's take this sense of collaboration back to our groups.

I agree and support this, but the point that I was making is that the game start time had moved in a last minute fashion. I think most supporters showing up for kick off in 112, 113, 116 know what to expect every game and do come in ready to chant. Its the randoms in those sections and others across the south that only come to 1 or 2 games a year, or have a totally different expectation about watching a game than what the groups may offer - those are the guys and girls we need showing up early. The team responds well to an early packed house. Hence TFC stepping up the giveaways this year.

I whole heatedly encourage anyone in the south or elsewhere in the stadium to get in early, the kick off times are very predictable this year and that should make it easier. The team struggles with this issue, all we can do as groups is continue to support the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Andrew, that is an indictment of all of us then because it means we have been complacent and therefore complicit in allowing people with the wrong mentality onto Lakeshore Terrace. The club is trying to rectify this i.e. needing to go through an SG to get season seats on the terrace however the only true solution is GA, safe standing and a committment from the SGs to bring in people with a 90+ minute mentality.

I'm not saying that those people who don't hold that mentality don't have a place on Lakeshore Terrace because Toronto supporters are a microcosm of the city itself: diverse and multi faceted. I think a GA and safe standing zone, open to all members of all groups that want to be in a sector like that, would allow for a consolidation of individuals who want to follow a capo and bring the energy to stand together, regardless of their group, which I think would serve as an engine or a catlyst for those with more of a laid back mentality to get involved on their terms from the periphery of a GA/Safe Standing sector. So often I feel that our potential to be loud is lost in the transmission of a song between the small groups in each section that follow the capos and want to actively bring the energy. Imagine how loud that group of 200 or so could be if we were all together?!

This is what happens all over the world and would go a long way to ending the intergroup politics and conflicts. I know it's entirely different from what we've done in the past but I think the last few years have illustrated the need for radical change in order to get this ship righted and back on track. We can not be afraid to take chances and experiment. We are Toronto, we lead the way! Now is the time to have open minds, to be willing to experiment and take risks, to look forward rather than dwelling on a short and inglorious past. The only thing we should fear is running out of beer.

-Forever Red

Only problem with GA is that we cant use the section then during CONCACAF champions league matches.

As per section XII.F.2 of the CONCACAF Champions League Regulations

If a stadium with both seating and standing areas are available, the standing space must remain vacant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by German21 View Post
    Only problem with GA is that we cant use the section then during CONCACAF champions league matches.

If a stadium with both seating and standing areas are available, the standing space must remain vacant.
    Safe standing would deal with that. GA and folded up seats for league matches. Folded down seats and numbered tickets for matches that require it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving the collaboration and positive approach on this thread! I agree with getting in earlier, it allows for people to understand some of the songs and ask questions before the game or the beer takes priority.

Would a Capo runner provide some help in communication messages between the stands? Before we get a soundsystem or relocate the stands themselves this might be a more beneficial way of coordinating songs. If we can work on pacing songs we could communicate between capos at what minute we want to start the song, similarly to Dichio Chant but called on the fly and an upcoming minute on the scoreboard is chosen along with a song. Just my two cents!

Had some very drunk English guys behind me during the NYCFC game just screaming half the song or screaming the wrong words and completely ruining any building moment from capo + lower 112, songs would die just beside the entrance to the stands. We need strong singers and voices spread throughout 112 to ensure those around them keep up the song and can understand what the capo is saying.
    Tune into the Official Red Patch Boys Podcast on Spotify and Apple Music.

https://open.spotify.com/show/09Tk3GUscsd2ca1wl4mao1?si=vr_u5SdqRvm4HMqKYBE1wQ&d l_branch=1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by German21 View Post

What Anthony said above. There are configurations at grounds that regularly plays European and international tournaments that are configured for both. At Borussia Dortmund the central part of the gradinata where the ultras and hooligans are is a safe standing, GA zone with fold down seats while the areas on the periphery are rail seating. Rail seating is slightly more convenient for the grounds crew and for people who don't feel the urge to run around and/or mosh in the section during matches. The fold down seating is ideal for those that are there to create the atmosphere and PVR the match so that they can watch it later (i.e. me...lol; shockingly to some people I actually am a fan of the game and not just here for the fashion and violence). The way fold down seating works is that essentially the back of the chair folds down into the part where you put your tuchus so when it's folded away you have either a flat terrace to stand on or small little stumps that you can stand on. This would also help to avoid damage to seats that occurs over the course of a season.

Prizby or Mark have a picture of it, maybe they can post it here to give everyone an idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what you are referring to?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmillar View Post
    Loving the collaboration and positive approach on this thread! I agree with getting in earlier, it allows for people to understand some of the songs and ask questions before the game or the beer takes priority.

Would a Capo runner provide some help in communication messages between the stands? Before we get a soundsystem or relocate the stands themselves this might be a more beneficial way of coordinating songs. If we can work on pacing songs we could communicate between capos at what minute we want to start the song, similarly to Dichio Chant but called on the fly and an upcoming minute on the scoreboard is chosen along with a song. Just my two cents!

Had some very drunk English guys behind me during the NYCFC game just screaming half the song or screaming the wrong words and completely ruining any building moment from capo + lower 112, songs would die just beside the entrance to the stands. We need strong singers and voices spread throughout 112 to ensure those around them keep up the song and can understand what the capo is saying.

Several times throughout the match Anthony and Stelios will run to the other sections so that we can coordinate songs that we've chosen specific times for. Last week the capos decided that we would all sing Oh When The Reds immediately followed by Sha-La-La and then It Happened Without Warning at 25' and the Back and Forth at 40'. Anthony would run over to 113 and 112 to confirm that and Stelios would run over to Paul in 116. It worked really well.

We've also just bought a $500 megaphone that I found actually worked really well to getting Fizik and Paul's attention so that we could the slow clap. It worked wonderfully and if anyone has $500 lying around I highly recommend it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    This is what you are referring to?

This is rail seating. Fold down seating is different. This is what I would imagine would work best for sections surrounding a GA-Safe Standing section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love that all this discussion is happening between different groups! Can't wait to see how you guys evolve over the course of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the picture, I just can't figure out how to post it. A little help from someone who isn't a Luddite like me, please and thank you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here, I'll just link them:

Edit: just added the img tags for clarity. cheers
    Last edited by Parkdale; 05-25-2016 at 02:12 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're trying to "get the word out" about safe standing, ok but this is all retread from meetings we've already had with FO as recent as last season when they were MOST LIKELY to renovate.

I'm not saying they wouldn't renovate again I'm saying it is incredibly unlikely now that we are weeks away from our second tenant arriving.

Otherwise, this discussion of co-operation with what we have with seating now is progress.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So from what I've been reading l, I think that the best way to move forward for the next game is to continue to deploy 'runners' between the various sections and sing together with the other sections rather then do our own thing. The idea of a Capo pow wow meeting before the game is great. If the capos from the various supporter sections could get together and just quickly go over how the chanting will go and maybe write down on some paper the time that the song will occur in the game, we will be able to all sing together.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the picture, I just can't figure out how to post it. A little help from someone who isn't a Luddite like me, please and thank you?
    when you reply, there are some toolbars at the top of the box.
    Bold, Italics, Underline, font, size.

from the right, there is a quote bubble, film strip, then a picture. click that...then paste the link of the pic.

that should work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks hermoso!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    If we're trying to "get the word out" about safe standing, ok but this is all retread from meetings we've already had with FO as recent as last season when they were MOST LIKELY to renovate.

I'm not saying they wouldn't renovate again I'm saying it is incredibly unlikely now that we are weeks away from our second tenant arriving.

Otherwise, this discussion of co-operation with what we have with seating now is progress.
    Yeah, conversation sort of veered away from what we can do now to wishful thinking but I mean we're dealing with ML$E, right? Don't they have more wealth stashed away than a Swiss bank?

I think last match was a good starting point and if we continue to do what we did on Saturday we'll be able to identify areas that we can work on and ways to improve the current system. If anyone has suggestions on how to build on Saturday or ways that they would have done things differently they should definitely post them here and we can try to integrate them into our game plan.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh, sorry to interrupt such a lovely topic, WHO THE F*&K RENAMED SOUTH STANDS TO "LAKESHORE TERRACE" ?

Welcome to the LAKESHORE TERRACE, home of TFC Supporters

sorry again
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Ahh, sorry to interrupt such a lovely topic, WHO THE F*&K RENAMED SOUTH STANDS TO "LAKESHORE TERRACE" ?

Welcome to the LAKESHORE TERRACE, home of TFC Supporters

sorry again
    LOL. It was an idea of Almo and Davyd's a few years ago. I liked the ring of it over Southend or South Stand and I've just been colloquially referring to it as that. I think that having an umbrella name for all of the denizens of the south end will go a long way in helping us see all the groups as different parts of a greater whole. For example at Karaiskakis Gate 7 is what the whole supporter end is called but within Gate 7 there are multiple groups such as Patras, Mafia Pireaus 101, Misfits etc. Everyone has their own clubhouse and whatnot but in the stadium all the groups sing and work as 1.

It's why we decided to call the fanzine that Anthony and I put together Lakeshore Terrace because we wanted it to be non-group specific and sort of be a platform for any supporter to express themselves. If you haven't picked one up feel free to drop by our pregame spot, Liberty Village Cafe and Market, at the corner of Jefferson and Liberty to grab one. They're $2 or PWYC and we're looking for people outside of the two of us to submit stuff for the next issue.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL. It was an idea of Almo and Davyd's a few years ago. I liked the ring of it over Southend or South Stand and I've just been colloquially referring to it as that. I think that having an umbrella name for all of the denizens of the south end will go a long way in helping us see all the groups as different parts of a greater whole. For example at Karaiskakis Gate 7 is what the whole supporter end is called but within Gate 7 there are multiple groups such as Patras, Mafia Pireaus 101, Misfits etc. Everyone has their own clubhouse and whatnot but in the stadium all the groups sing and work as 1.

It's why we decided to call the fanzine that Anthony and I put together Lakeshore Terrace because we wanted it to be non-group specific and sort of be a platform for any supporter to express themselves. If you haven't picked one up feel free to drop by our pregame spot, Liberty Village Cafe and Market, at the corner of Jefferson and Liberty to grab one. They're $2 or PWYC and we're looking for people outside of the two of us to submit stuff for the next issue.
    Its kinda a hard line to tow when nobody from other groups are consulted or asked about renaming it. To further use it as a name of a publication makes it look owned by a specific group too. Just spit balling some ideas here while we are all talking about co operation.
    Last edited by Phil; 05-25-2016 at 02:56 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't "southend" technically already an umbrella term though. (Sorry, not to be that guy.)
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, Almo, eh?

Very disappointing, I have to talk to him after all these years telling him about Delije experience he comes with such a cheese name.
    Delije call it north, grobari call their south,it's simple, if you go to "Marakana" in Belgrade, north side it where you want to go, terrace is where you get prawn sandwich served

Anyway, name doesn't matter as long it comes from fans instead of FO PR department.

Let's hope we get "south terrace " to song and support in unison before it becomes all you can eat prawn sandwich terrace.

Keep up good work and stay out of trouble, after all this is not eastern Europe .