Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    That's such a money idea! 2 Mexican franchises (e.g. Mexico City and Monterrey) would be awesome and build serious viewership for all MLS games among their diaspora!
    thats like the swiss hockey league div 2 setting up a team in toronto.
    They are going to draw flies.

Those cities have lots and lots of futbol to watch and teams with very established fanbases.
    Last edited by Onyx; 05-27-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the merger idea would be the best - bring those established franchises in. It would be awesome.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liga MX has more money then MLS. And arguably more viewers in the US then MLS.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I think the merger idea would be the best - bring those established franchises in. It would be awesome.
    Like Chivas...?

Anyway, No Euro for Seba especially now
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco: 'I'd choose Toronto again'

http://www.football-italia.net/85112...-toronto-again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting little tidbit from today's Sun that maybe Larson can give more info on.....apparently both Pirlo and Giovinco declined call ups to Italy's camp in favour of staying with their respective teams, prior to the preliminary 30 being named....could've had something to do with the both of them being left off....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading this, I can understand why Conte didn't take Seba. While crazy talented, he's a luxury player who hampers coaches tactically.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/the-match/...m-at-euro-2016

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    After reading this, I can understand why Conte didn't take Seba. While crazy talented, he's a luxury player who hampers coaches tactically.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/the-match/...m-at-euro-2016
    meh, Belgium should have been able to adjust but got out coached

you still want Gio on the bench as a game changer if you go down a goal or two

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well - that's quite interesting. Liga MX get's about 30% more viewers per game than the EPL in the USA! That's almost 4x the viewership of the MLS. Who would have thunk?
    That's what I would be focussing on for MLS. How do you harness that audience better? How about offering some MLS franchises into Liga MX...or even a merger? With a Div 1 and Div 2?
    Must be cause of all the illegal Mexican immigrants in the states....surely doesn't have anything to do with the quality of football on display.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    meh, Belgium should have been able to adjust but got out coached

you still want Gio on the bench as a game changer if you go down a goal or two
    This pretty much. Marc Wilmots is a scrub. The only reason he even has that job is because no top coach would want to work for Belgium and the pathetic salary they pay. Its a shame that their golden generation is being wasted due to the governing body in Belgium not wanting to pay for a top level coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10.9% of the US is of Mexican heritage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    Must be cause of all the illegal Mexican immigrants in the states....surely doesn't have anything to do with the quality of football on display.
    Have you watched Liga MX? It's decent football. Nothing that can be dismissed on account of MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still do not get it, I would take Giovinco over Giacherini in the 10 roles. Not that Giacherini did not do great in the first game. But Seba is a natural there, while Giacherini is more of a winger.

Anyway, forza Italia. Just keep on playing disciplined tactical calcio, if we go down at least we go down playing our game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we saw hint of why Gio would have at best been a bench warmer on that team. Very tuned defensive unit - very disciplined. Gio doesn't offer any defensive play at all. He doesn't do cattenacio.
    Much prefer that he is here - than warming a bench in France.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    And legal as below:

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Exactly. We don't expect Canadians with Italian heritage to stop following in here, why would we expect it of those with Mexican heritage to convert solely to MLS when there's is a border away and always on?

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Have you watched Liga MX? It's decent football. Nothing that can be dismissed on account of MLS.
    Certainly and when one throws in heritage and league history the contest in viewership for those of Mexican origin is pretty damn steep.

But i digress. Glad to have Seba vs Gerrard this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we saw hint of why Gio would have at best been a bench warmer on that team. Very tuned defensive unit - very disciplined. Gio doesn't offer any defensive play at all. He doesn't do cattenacio.
    Much prefer that he is here - than warming a bench in France.
    Italy doesn't do catenaccio anymore either.....they'll never be mistaken for 1970's Holland, but Italy's back 3 + Buffon have been playing together for Juventus for the last 5 years now......at this point, their communication is pretty much telepathic.....could go a long way in a short tournament......they just know where the other defender will be all the time, and that's what makes them so organized....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I still do not get it, I would take Giovinco over Giacherini in the 10 roles. Not that Giacherini did not do great in the first game. But Seba is a natural there, while Giacherini is more of a winger.

Anyway, forza Italia. Just keep on playing disciplined tactical calcio, if we go down at least we go down playing our game.
    from the first game, it looked like Giakk was playing as a midfielder....do you think Seba would have it in him to be responsible enough when Italy doesn't have the ball??.....hard to say either way, but Giakk has been in tournaments before so you know what to get from him.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    including those in denial in Texas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no thanks, its a snooze to watch. I watch these tournaments to be entertained, I don't win anything except a few days of bragging rights if Portugal wins.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no thanks, its a snooze to watch. I watch these tournaments to be entertained, I don't win anything except a few days of bragging rights if Portugal wins.
    Wow. I don't know where to go with the irony of this statement right now.

I guess your namesake was entertaining today??

Anyway, Italy isn't playing Portugal for a bit. If they meet at all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not asking Portugal to play Italian style football, although if you had your best Manager take over you would. I watch to see quality football, quality football can be defensive or attacking. But as far as my home country goes, I want it to play its style of football, I do not care if others like it. I just hope it works and we win. We will see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

I was going to comment on that as well, I never like when "big" sides who fail to get the results they think they deserve complain about the other side parking the bus. Each team chooses its tactics and you live and die by it, do blame the for your failure to have your tactics work. Plus what did Portugal expect a nation that has the population of London, Ontario to come out and attack Portugal all out. They did what they had to too, they did it well, and they got a good result. Good on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post

no no, i meant as an impartial viewer of other groups or the euros as a whole.

I in no way think Portugal has much of chance, my $80M/ year alter ego needs to show up for that to happen.

I just expect the teams that have the ability to entertain, actually entertain. I loved the dutch in the last world cup.

You cant tell me anyone enjoys a 0-0 penalty shoot out.
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 06-15-2016 at 11:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giaccherini was man-marking De Bruyne for a good part of the match. (big block in the box at one point) Seba wouldn't be deployed at that CM position. With this setup its easy to see why Seba wasn't called. Insigne and El Shaarawy are "similar" players who already wont be seeing many minutes.

Italy haven't played catenaccio in decades. Don't mistake good defensive football for catenaccio.

Not sure what you were watching but Italy v Belgium was the best game of Matchday 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    from the first game, it looked like Giakk was playing as a midfielder....do you think Seba would have it in him to be responsible enough when Italy doesn't have the ball??.....hard to say either way, but Giakk has been in tournaments before so you know what to get from him.....
    You are right he was playing more like a CM, which Seba is not suited for. But generally Giakk does not play there either. However I agree Seba does not contribute much on defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Giaccherini was man-marking De Bruyne for a good part of the match. (big block in the box at one point) Seba wouldn't be deployed at that CM position. With this setup its easy to see why Seba wasn't called. Insigne and El Shaarawy are "similar" players who already wont be seeing many minutes.

Italy haven't played catenaccio in decades. Don't mistake good defensive football for catenaccio.

Not sure what you were watching but Italy v Belgium was the best game of Matchday 1.
    I heard the match in the car, did not watch portions till later. As I said to Tifoso, you are right Giak played like a pure CM something that Seba would not have done. But I disagree about El Sha and Insigne they are more wide players then 10s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post

to each his own, for me its the Hungary game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right he was playing more like a CM, which Seba is not suited for. But generally Giakk does not play there either. However I agree Seba does not contribute much on defense.
    Giakk is a funny player in the sense that to me he doesn't really have any position and can play anywhere across the midfield except as a registra.....he is the type of player you want strictly to play as a match up to an opposing player....if I'm not mistaken Prandelli used him wide left in the 3-5-2 set up last Euro....now Conte has him left centre....nice player who to me does everything good, but nothing great.....Jack (or Giakk) of all Trades lol.....

I heard the match in the car, did not watch portions till later. As I said to Tifoso, you are right Giak played like a pure CM something that Seba would not have done. But I disagree about El Sha and Insigne they are more wide players then 10s.
    yes I agree.....Insigne and SES are both best when used as wide forwards in a 3 forward set up.....I honestly though that was the way Conte was going to go, looking at the last couple of friendlies, but I personally like the 3-5-2 better for this team, especially with the Juve 3 at the back and any 2 of Darmian/Candreva/De Sciglio playing the wings.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree about Giakk. I love the way we are playing. This is the way I like football played.

I cannot really complain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I agree about Giakk. I love the way we are playing. This is the way I like football played.

I cannot really complain.
    Yes I agree.....I didn't necessarily care whether Seba was named to the team or not....there were pros and cons to it on both a personal level for him and also from a TFC perspective....and I also didn't know what to expect from the team selection or Conte's tactics....I thought he might have been viewed by the team as a lame-duck coach with one foot already in Chelsea's door.....but the way they came out in game 1 was very impressive....a textbook team effort.....and from that it is very clear to see why Conte named the team that he did....hopefully they can keep this up.....