Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the raw numbers wrong but the ratios right. EPL outdraws MLS by a lot.

http://www.lagconfidential.com/2015/...re-in-for-2015

MLS just doesn't draw on TV, and adding payroll hasn't moved the needle.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has everything to do with the history between Giovinco and Conte and little to do with the quality of MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    The MLS has to establish a proper club competition and play against top European teams with some frequency in real competitive matches. The first step is to start dominating the CONCACaF tournament. Then bring in the South American teams for an all America competitor to the Chamions League. That level of ambition is what it will take.
    Amen I agree/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    This has everything to do with the history between Giovinco and Conte and little to do with the quality of MLS.
    If Giovinco scored 22 goals with 16 assists in any of Europe's top 5 leagues he would be the first name on the teamsheet. It has everything to do with the quality he plays against.
    Last edited by JohnnyEnglish; 05-25-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS is still a young leAGUE and also unproven globally.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    You don't take youngsters to a major tourney unless you already know how good they are for the national team. That's what friendlies and qualifier games are for. It's too late just couple of weeks before the tourney starts to look at youngsters who you don't quite know how good they are for the senior national team.
    IMO the Euros are just practice for the real show. There aren't many people who can name the last 5 champions. Hence, I like the idea of bringing kids but I agree that there should be some sort of continuity. Conte has never had a set formation or group of players. Late injuries to their only two world class midfielders (Marchisio and Verratti) doesn't help.

(BTW, Jorginho was a revelation this past season and is in some outlets' Serie A TOTY)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyEnglish View Post
    If Giovinco scored 22 goals with 16 assists in any of Europe's top 5 leagues he would be the first name on the teamsheet. ...
    Don't think that's it.

Pavoletti got 14 for Genoa and he's a bigger head scratch the pundits are saying.

Anyways, Molinaro has an article out now on today's talk.

In that we find this interesting statement.

"As long as I continue to have fun I’m going to keep playing in the league,” Giovinco stated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't follow Italian football at all, but I found this surprising in Molinaro's piece:

"But the reality is that for all of the passionate outcry in Toronto and around MLS about Conte snubbing Giovinco, it hasn’t registered one bit back in Italy."
    "
    But Giovinco’s absence? Italian fans and reporters have hardly taken notice, if at all."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was angry about the snub but now I'm glad he's not going. Likely to be a shitshow for Italy and probably good thing Seba isn't part of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I don't follow Italian football at all, but I found this surprising in Molinaro's piece:

"But the reality is that for all of the passionate outcry in Toronto and around MLS about Conte snubbing Giovinco, it hasn’t registered one bit back in Italy."
    "
    But Giovinco’s absence? Italian fans and reporters have hardly taken notice, if at all."

They're more upset about how the leading Italian scorer in Serie A wasnt called up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't interested in the Euro's before, but with this news, I am more interested than ever in seeing Italy crash out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure what Molinaro reads, but I read the Gazzetta dello Sport every day, and yes there has not been any rioting but there has been many questions particularly in the comments section of articles about Giovinco not being convoked. Many are hope that he may be convoked yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    I wasn't interested in the Euro's before, but with this news, I am more interested than ever in seeing Italy crash out.
    Please, do not start this. I hear that there are some passionate Italian supporters on this board that may start arguing with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I am not sure what Molinaro reads, but I read the Gazzetta dello Sport every day, and yes there has not been any rioting but there has been many questions particularly in the comments section of articles about Giovinco not being convoked. Many are hope that he may be convoked yet.
    I write for Gazzetta World (GdS' English satellite site) and I've noticed that GdS doesn't seem overly concernef about the quality on the NT, which for an Italian publication is surprising since outlets always find something to complain about. The concern up front is obvious but there are some young players that I'm excited to see given a chance to showcase their capabilities. Also, people who write them off seem to forget that the BBC form arguably the best backline on the international scene.

While I was convinced that Seba had a place on the preliminary roster, I suppose I can understand not calling him with Insigne on the squad. (similar player but undoubtedly the better option at rhis point and who may already start from the bench) At this point I'm more upset with Pavoletti and Acerbi being shunned in favour of Immobile and Astori/Ogbonna. Conte clearly doesn't put much stock into form, which is clearly a mistake given the nature of the tournament.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by troy1982 View Post
    Please, do not start this. I hear that there are some passionate Italian supporters on this board that may start arguing with you.
    Yes. Please wait for the Euro thread to open and then don't bother starting this anyway.

Thanks

FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I was angry about the snub but now I'm glad he's not going. Likely to be a shitshow for Italy and probably good thing Seba isn't part of it.
    Nothing could be worse than the crap France had to deal with at the 2010 World Cup. But yeah if its turns into a mess for the Azzurri it likely is a good thing he is nowhere near it. But in reality he should have made the team, to not even be in the 30 makes no sense.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I write for Gazzetta World (GdS' English satellite site) and I've noticed that GdS doesn't seem overly concernef about the quality on the NT, which for an Italian publication is surprising since outlets always find something to complain about. The concern up front is obvious but there are some young players that I'm excited to see given a chance to showcase their capabilities. Also, people who write them off seem to forget that the BBC form arguably the best backline on the international scene.

While I was convinced that Seba had a place on the preliminary roster, I suppose I can understand not calling him with Insigne on the squad. (similar player but undoubtedly the better option at rhis point and who may already start from the bench) At this point I'm more upset with Pavoletti and Acerbi being shunned in favour of Immobile and Astori/Ogbonna. Conte clearly doesn't put much stock into form, which is clearly a mistake given the nature of the tournament.
    I am concerned about us upfront there is no one that I truly think is worth of the Azzurri 9 or 10 shirts. I Insigne and Seba are similar, but I see Seba more of a true 10. It may be because I have not seen Insigne as much as Giovinco.

On a side note Ogbonna, Astori and Acerbi were the future great Italian CBs, all of them did well, but none of them reached the heights I thought they would. I am not sure that happened to Ogbonna at Juve ( I which we (Milan) got him instead of Matri), I do not think Acerbi got a fair shot at Milan ( before his health problems), and Astori stayed on Cagliari to long, he should have moved to a bigger squad earlier. I still think that the three of them would make a top back line (3-5-2).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knowing that playing in MLS will have you excluded from NT, I think Seba will be gone sooner than later, as he already mentioned that he will still work hard to make the NT. 1 more year max and he's gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am concerned about us upfront there is no one that I truly think is worth of the Azzurri 9 or 10 shirts. I Insigne and Seba are similar, but I see Seba more of a true 10. It may be because I have not seen Insigne as much as Giovinco.
    Yes, Seba is definitely more of a no.10 / 2nd striker. Insigne spent all of last season on the wing. But given that Conte seems set on switching back to a 3-5-2, it would appear that he is fine with having Insigne fill the role. (assuming he makes the final cut)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totera not happy

Worth watching just for the outrage and sputter.

Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-26-2016 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love it... can't agree more. That squad must be the poorest Italian side since the 1960's

He is already thinking about Chelsea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well - that's quite interesting. Liga MX get's about 30% more viewers per game than the EPL in the USA! That's almost 4x the viewership of the MLS. Who would have thunk?
    That's what I would be focussing on for MLS. How do you harness that audience better? How about offering some MLS franchises into Liga MX...or even a merger? With a Div 1 and Div 2?

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thing my top choices are Germany and France.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well - that's quite interesting. Liga MX get's about 30% more viewers per game than the EPL in the USA! That's almost 4x the viewership of the MLS. Who would have thunk?
    That's what I would be focussing on for MLS. How do you harness that audience better? How about offering some MLS franchises into Liga MX...or even a merger? With a Div 1 and Div 2?
    That's such a money idea! 2 Mexican franchises (e.g. Mexico City and Monterrey) would be awesome and build serious viewership for all MLS games among their diaspora!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

The needle won't move until it's equal pay and MLS is consistently beating LigaMX teams. I don't worry about the comparisons. The grow is way slower than our year after year comparisons.

Why do you think any Mexican would want to watch an inferior foreign league on their home soil?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'll see a Mexican team in the NFL long before you see an MLS team in Mexico.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MLS has to establish a proper club competition and play against top European teams with some frequency in real competitive matches. The first step is to start dominating the CONCACaF tournament. Then bring in the South American teams for an all America competitor to the Chamions League. That level of ambition is what it will take.

Yeah, absolutely.

But for that MLS would need squad depth and a salary cap in the tens of millions, not three million.

MLS club's have a very poor record against Liga MX.

I very badly want TFC to be the first MLS club to win the CCL. That would be a proper corner stone to build a football legacy from.