Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    But I disagree about El Sha and Insigne they are more wide players then 10s.
    That's why I put "similar" in quotes. Conte has used Insigne as the 2nd ST and it seems he's content with having him deputize there if they need a little more dynamism. (which Conte doesn't seem to care much for) SES has been used there as well throughout his career, but yes, both are definitely better equipped at LW. Then again, Seba was used at LW more than 2nd ST throughout his time in Italy.
    Last edited by Bobo; 06-16-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ At the end of the day this is probably why Conte did not bring Seba. I prefer El Sha and Insigne on the wings to Seba, whom is better in the middle of it as a treguartista.

I do not like El Sha inside, Insigne I have not seen enough, to rate his inside play. But none of them are a good fit as two way CMs. That must be why Conte went with Giak there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Yes I agree.....I didn't necessarily care whether Seba was named to the team or not....there were pros and cons to it on both a personal level for him and also from a TFC perspective....and I also didn't know what to expect from the team selection or Conte's tactics....I thought he might have been viewed by the team as a lame-duck coach with one foot already in Chelsea's door.....but the way they came out in game 1 was very impressive....a textbook team effort.....and from that it is very clear to see why Conte named the team that he did....hopefully they can keep this up.....
    That was my feeling as well. Once I saw how they played It made sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Giaccherini was man-marking De Bruyne for a good part of the match. (big block in the box at one point) Seba wouldn't be deployed at that CM position. With this setup its easy to see why Seba wasn't called. Insigne and El Shaarawy are "similar" players who already wont be seeing many minutes.

Italy haven't played catenaccio in decades. Don't mistake good defensive football for catenaccio.

Not sure what you were watching but Italy v Belgium was the best game of Matchday 1.
    if that was the case, today's game ie v Sweden was worst game in tournament so far. First half was woeful, 2nd half slightly better by virtue of nice goal.
    Italy need to play teams who will come at them such as Belgium, but this poor Sweden team didn't and it just turned into a poor game.
    Italy through and have the team to contain and hit on the counter any of the big teams in this tournament. But any game where they will be the team dominating possession such as today and probably be the same v Ireland, won't make for great viewing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweden played us better then Belgium, but we won.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    if that was the case, today's game ie v Sweden was worst game in tournament so far. First half was woeful, 2nd half slightly better by virtue of nice goal.
    Italy need to play teams who will come at them such as Belgium, but this poor Sweden team didn't and it just turned into a poor game.
    Italy through and have the team to contain and hit on the counter any of the big teams in this tournament. But any game where they will be the team dominating possession such as today and probably be the same v Ireland, won't make for great viewing.
    I'd say the worst game so far was Germany v Poland yesterday, but only because I'm sure absolutely everyone was expecting goals from that one, and there were barely any chances in it.....but this best/worst stuff is all subjective anyways.....

Italy was far from dominating possession today.....Sweden actually was about 60/40 in favour at the half.....it wasn't pretty for sure, but pretty don't get you points....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweden played us better then Belgium, but we won.
    yup.....and the last part is all that matters.....fortunately (I think anyways) Italian supports have never really cared for winning with style.....points are points, wins are wins....Azzurri teams have had style, but nobody who cheers for them is really bothered by to what extent that style is used.....this team admittedly has little style.....they will go as far as their fighting spirit and leaders take them....but the crest on the front of the shirt will always need to be respected by the other teams.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say the worst game so far was Germany v Poland yesterday, but only because I'm sure absolutely everyone was expecting goals from that one, and there were barely any chances in it.....but this best/worst stuff is all subjective anyways.....

Italy was far from dominating possession today.....Sweden actually was about 60/40 in favour at the half.....it wasn't pretty for sure, but pretty don't get you points....

I actually liked the Germany game yesterday, Poland missed 2 complete sitters but anyway as you say all relative.

I meant to add in my original post, that would have been a game Seba would have thrived in. Sticking Pelle up top is what Sweden and Ireland would prefer, a big target they can engage physically with. The small more nimble forwards cause these defenders all kinds of trouble.
    Possession was pretty much 50-50 in general over the 90, but Italy only allowed them possession typically where they wanted them to have it ie areas that couldn't hurt them. So that's what I meant by dominating it, and it will be similiar scenario against the Irish also, sorry should have been clear in that regard.

Sweden team only touched the ball 5 times in Italy box over 90 mins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup.....and the last part is all that matters.....fortunately (I think anyways) Italian supports have never really cared for winning with style.....points are points, wins are wins....Azzurri teams have had style, but nobody who cheers for them is really bothered by to what extent that style is used.....this team admittedly has little style.....they will go as far as their fighting spirit and leaders take them....but the crest on the front of the shirt will always need to be respected by the other teams.....
    Yep, our football has been based on tactics, football iq, and fight. That is the football that I love. That is the football that I grew up with. When we play it we, do well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually liked the Germany game yesterday, Poland missed 2 complete sitters but anyway as you say all relative.

I meant to add in my original post, that would have been a game Seba would have thrived in. Sticking Pelle up top is what Sweden and Ireland would prefer, a big target they can engage physically with. The small more nimble forwards cause these defenders all kinds of trouble.
    Possession was pretty much 50-50 in general over the 90, but Italy only allowed them possession typically where they wanted them to have it ie areas that couldn't hurt them. So that's what I meant by dominating it, and it will be similiar scenario against the Irish also, sorry should have been clear in that regard.

I agree with you about this would have been a game for Seba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, makes more sense in the context you've put it in, and I tend to agree with it regarding possession....

Regarding the influence that Seba could've had in a game like that......Conte has Insigne who offers pretty much the exact same things as Seba, both positive and negative aspects (and both left sided forwards too), so it would've been nice to have Insigne get in there as a comparison.....the big knock Giovinco always had in Italy was that he was easily overmatched against stronger defenders especially in the box.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, our football has been based on tactics, football iq, and fight. That is the football that I love. That is the football that I grew up with. When we play it we, do well.
    agreed......I love it when we win like this....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't see the game this morning - but it sounded quite cattenaccio ish by all accounts?

Italy doesn't do catenaccio anymore either.....they'll never be mistaken for 1970's Holland, but Italy's back 3 + Buffon have been playing together for Juventus for the last 5 years now......at this point, their communication is pretty much telepathic.....could go a long way in a short tournament......they just know where the other defender will be all the time, and that's what makes them so organized....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Gemany/Poland game was the biggest snoozefest of the tournament and I expected more goals. Germany is not the same team as 2014 and have stepped down a few notches. I doubt they will get past the semis.

I think the Italy/Belgium was the most entertaining so far, although Italy played very cautiously against the Swedes. The BBC will allow Italy to make a deep run in the tournament.

It's still kind of frustrating that Giovinco is not there and think he could have made an impact as a sub, but it is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Didn't see the game this morning - but it sounded quite cattenaccio ish by all accounts?
    not really...was just a very sloppy game on both sides, which Italy happened to win 1-0......Italy wasn't actively looking to defend, they just play good defense.....I wonder what people call it when Brazil or Spain only win 1-0?.........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not really...was just a very sloppy game on both sides, which Italy happened to win 1-0......Italy wasn't actively looking to defend, they just play good defense.....I wonder what people call it when Brazil or Spain only win 1-0?.........

as an irishman as in proper born and raised in ireland, I'm so glad Giovinco didn't play today. I appreciate that wasn't Italy's full strength team due to them already being qualified, but had he played he would have hurt us, See the damage Insigne caused when he came on, similiar player to Giovinco imo. As a proud Irishman, big kudos to Buffon today , he was class after the game to the Irish bench. In a tournament where Ronaldo has let himself down. Buffon showed class today.

I am referring to Buffon coming straight to Martin O Neill and Roy Keane right on 90 mins to hug them in case anyone is wondering as buffon wasn't playing....
    Last edited by burlington Red; 06-22-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as an irishman as in proper born and raised in ireland, I'm so glad Giovinco didn't play today. I appreciate that wasn't Italy's full strength team due to them already being qualified, but had he played he would have hurt us, See the damage Insigne caused when he came on, similiar player to Giovinco imo. As a proud Irishman, big kudos to Buffon today , he was class after the game to the Irish bench. In a tournament where Ronaldo has let himself down. Buffon showed class today.

I am referring to Buffon coming straight to Martin O Neill and Roy Keane right on 90 mins to hug them in case anyone is wondering as buffon wasn't playing....
    It was an epic win for you guys and congrats on the round of 16!.....

What can you say about Gigi......he is absolutely a class act, a true "good guy" in the sport......that was a great clip of him going over to congratulate O'Neill and Keano after the game....

It was actually great scenes all around in that game yesterday......from Irish and Italian fans partying together outside the stadium before kickoff.......to the Irish lending a voice for the Italian anthem......to the post game gesture by Buffon......and a historic win for Ireland in between......of course I would have been upset had the game costed the Azzurri anything, but everything that encompassed that match really showed what the sport is all about.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Va bene ragazzi

(Just having a bit of fun fellas )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Job Ireland!

Now go beat France!