Jozy was terrible again last night.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    It was like he wasn't even there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    POTD contenders right here. We should setup a poll or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    On the bright side he didn't get subbed off for injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But once again he did not score.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the first time since the game in Yankee Stadium, I found myself a tad dissapointed in his hold up play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    ...The one thing in this thread I find really strange (well apart from the couple of people crowing over his injury and wishing he would have his career finished) is the people saying he should lose weight - the guy lost more then 20 pounds over the off season. He's been taking care of himself. His Hamstrings are dodgy - that's the concern...
    Exactly!!!

In a Salary Cap League you can't waste a penny and an oft injured player is a waste of cap space. I think this latest injury puts things into perfect perspective. Jozy, great team play that his coaches and teammates love notwithstanding, can't be relied upon to give you the return/quality/tangibles/intangibles you need from a DP striker.

The problem has not been his performances in 2016 - In a lot of ways (with the exception of balls in twine) his game has IMPROVED from 2015. His attitude to work on his weight and conditioning off season speaks to his quality and character. But unless he can get two replacement hamstrings he will never be more than he is now - a good player who can't be relied upon to be there when you truly need him. For that reason alone TFC needs to move on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the plus side, 4 years ago we would have signed Lampard for $6M and watched him play 10 matches in a year and a half. At least we took a decent shot on a good, young player that just has bad hamstrings. It's a shame too because he really was making a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    On the plus side, 4 years ago we would have signed Lampard for $6M and watched him play 10 matches in a year and a half. At least we took a decent shot on a good, young player that just has bad hamstrings. It's a shame too because he really was making a difference.
    Not "took a decent shot" but fully committed, he is on contract until 2020 tying up a DP spot and taking in almost 5 million a year. The only way this becomes a good deal is if he miraculously becomes healthy playing in 90% of games and performing like he did in the Dallas game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Not "took a decent shot" but fully committed, he is on contract until 2020 tying up a DP spot and taking in almost 5 million a year. The only way this becomes a good deal is if he miraculously becomes healthy playing in 90% of games and performing like he did in the Dallas game.
    Pretty sure you fully commit on any player you sign, I really don't think anyone with half a brain would sign a deal, leaving secure employment with another club, for a well "maybe" but we are only promising you maybe a year deal.

People have had a hate on for Jozy since he arrived, even when he scored 13 goals last year.

I wish him a speedy recovery, so we can have the beast back on the pitch, making the difference we were missing on Wednesday night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bez and Vanney conclude he is can't return to adequate playing levels, he gets the buy out next season. An expensive option but an available one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    difference with Lampard is he's 38 yrs old now, he's coming off 20 yrs in the toughest league in the world. Wear and tear has to be expected. Jozy is only 27 yrs old.
    I think perhaps the biggest difference between the two is NYCFC is set up to cope with Lampards loss, actually some may argue they look better in his absence, whereas we aren't at this stage set up to cope without Jozy ,not consistently anyway.
    Watching the NYCFC game the other night, our game was crying out for Jozy whereas NYCFC were missing all 3 of their DP's.
    I don't think we could be as competitive starting a game minus our 3 dp's especially away from home. Some of the hate coming Jozy's way is probably unfairly related to our lack of squad depth in certain key areas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    If Bez and Vanney conclude he is can't return to adequate playing levels, he gets the buy out next season. An expensive option but an available one.
    unless garber can twist some arms and get one of the US owners to take him off our hands for SFA, its our only option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Is this true? I understand it as in 2017 season they can get out of the three future seasons the contract runs for? Would they pay 15 Mil to do that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so it will be another get out of jail card for BEZ if they release JOZY,no way mlse pay that 15mil to cut him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Pretty sure you fully commit on any player you sign, I really don't think anyone with half a brain would sign a deal, leaving secure employment with another club, for a well "maybe" but we are only promising you maybe a year deal.

People have had a hate on for Jozy since he arrived, even when he scored 13 goals last year.

I wish him a speedy recovery, so we can have the beast back on the pitch, making the difference we were missing on Wednesday night.
    We do not hate him. The team is permitted 3 designated players. The transfer window opens soon, and the plethora of decent and available forwards, will be calling on other teams, including MLS clubs, while we try to score goals on the back of one player. Altidore had a great year in 2015, but he is through. Good managment knows when to cut their losses and change for the better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    so it will be another get out of jail card for BEZ if they release JOZY,no way mlse pay that 15mil to cut him.
    If the team struggles this summer, and plays in front of a half empty stadium, they might take the financial risk.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    If the team struggles this summer, and plays in front of a half empty stadium, they might take the financial risk.
    Just an FYI - they've sold more then half the tickets as Seasons.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We do not hate him. The team is permitted 3 designated players. The transfer window opens soon, and the plethora of decent and available forwards, will be calling on other teams, including MLS clubs, while we try to score goals on the back of one player. Altidore had a great year in 2015, but he is through. Good managment knows when to cut their losses and change for the better.
    At least you've mentioned the transfer window. Seeing the reactionary knee jerk " We need to get rid of him NOW!" is eye roll worthy.

During the season trades that involve players must occur during either the Primary Transfer Window (2016: February 18 – May 11) or Secondary Transfer Window (2016: July 4 – August 3).
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just an FYI - they've sold more then half the tickets as Seasons.
    That is amazing. I didn't know that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    At least you've mentioned the transfer window. Seeing the reactionary knee jerk " We need to get rid of him NOW!" is eye roll worthy.

During the season trades that involve players must occur during either the Primary Transfer Window (2016: February 18 – May 11) or Secondary Transfer Window (2016: July 4 – August 3).
    I think most of us will agree, that Seba will return to Europe at the end of his contract. Consequently, now is a good time to go for the championship, so yes, I would move Altidore for a more dynamic proven goal scorer. Imagine another top flight European player alongside Seba?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most of us will agree, that Seba will return to Europe at the end of his contract. Consequently, now is a good time to go for the championship, so yes, I would move Altidore for a more dynamic proven goal scorer. Imagine another top flight European player alongside Seba?
    But, but can they hold the ball up for Seba?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    But, but can they hold the ball up for Seba?
    I can see the value of that role, but it remains odd that Altidore did not register an assist in 2015.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    is that the buy-out $ figure, find it hard to believe because that is basically what would be left on the contract anyways if he played

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    Is this true? I understand it as in 2017 season they can get out of the three future seasons the contract runs for? Would they pay 15 Mil to do that?
    Very unlikely but if they had to clear him out (if say, a live wire DP option became available, which is probably the only reason they would consider this), it is an option. I don't think they would do it just because they are disappointed with him. There would have to be strong medical evidence of JA's inability to continue coupled with JA's unwillingness to retire. More likely he will just continue the recovery/injury cycle.

I'm not a praying man but I hope beyond hope there is a way to get him back playing at a high level. That would be my preferred choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I really hope MLS cuts MLSE a break for taking on the Altidore contract. He seriously doesn't deserve the contract he gets. If I were MLSE, buy a journeyman player from La Liga or Serie A, to make a serious run at the championship. Bez gave Altidore a ridiculous salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it once I'll say it again: Llorente

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good management? Same management that brought us the Bloody Big Mess?

I understand the designated player rule, although LA has 5, but that's the Beckham rule, showing its ugly head.

Not every player is going to be a Wondo or Kamara, or Gio, different players have different roles and build the squad around their key players.

The only teams I can think of that has multiple players with double digit GS in 2015, are NY, KC and TO, we were the only team with 2 players in the Top 10 for GS last year.

KC had three players with double digit GS and they placed 6 in their division last year. More goals by more players doesn't mean more wins. Same with us...

I do agree, we need to find someone else dependable to pot some goals other than Gio, but the Crap about him not scoring, really has no room in the discussion.

I've said it before, he's a target man, when he's healthy he does his job well. He's just gotta figure out the hammies, and get negativity that comes for social media and forums out of his head.

Hes 26, if you think he's through I think you need to give your head a shake. His best years are still to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I said it once I'll say it again: Llorente
    I kind of doubt the willingness of MLSE to pay more large transfer fees. We paid $10 million to get Defoe and had to give him away for free to get a return, $3 million for Gilberto who we gave away, $10 million for Bradley. Meanwhile we sign Giovinco on a free and he's the best player in the league. If I'm on the MLSE board I'm looking at the return I'm getting for all these big transfer fees and thinking it makes more sense to sign guys without a contract. Llorente is under contract for another 2 years and has a €20 million buyout clause.

So, purely in the interest or stirring things up:

Emmanuel Adebayor's contract is up in a month. He's already said he plans to leave and I'm pretty sure we were linked to him once before. History of attitude problems, of course.

Dani Osvaldo. Italian connection with Giovinco - good. Currently without a contract because he was caught smoking a cigarette in a bathroom after a game - bad. Even longer history of attitude problems than Adebayor, but hey, it would be a free transfer.

Cheick Diabaté. 28 years old, 6 ft. 4 target striker, contract with Bordeaux ending in a month. Good scoring record in Ligue 1: 10 goals in 17 starts this year, 8 in 13 the year before, 12 in 18 year before that. Claimed to the press a week ago that he hasn't received a new contract offer from Bordeaux, even though it sounds like he has. Sounds great to me... until you realize he hasn't started over 18 games in a season for at least the last 6 years, if not more. Long injury history. Sigh. I'd sign this guy in a second if he could stay healthy. Scores a boatload of goals off crosses from what I've seen.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NolbertoS View Post
    Man, I really hope MLS cuts MLSE a break for taking on the Altidore contract. He seriously doesn't deserve the contract he gets. If I were MLSE, buy a journeyman player from La Liga or Serie A, to make a serious run at the championship. Bez gave Altidore a ridiculous salary.
    You started off great and ended all ridiculous. Happy for you you're keen on big leagues but we could find journeymen anywhere. And Bez? You started out with laying some blame in the right direction but Bez was not the only one in on this deal.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER