You should go by minutes played

1796 / 3060 = 58.693%
    Holy fuck I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was THAT bad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The hate that happens when players miss penalties is unreal (Mahrez went through this at Leicester for several weeks mid season)

Penalties are not automatic.
    I think most have gotten past that micro issue

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to suggest Fernando Llorente as a guy that could feasibly be signed in the summer if we moved Jozy on. Guy moved to Sevilla on a free from Juve and has hardly lit it up there, has a €20m buyout but with his play for them as of late I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to flip him for much less than that. Provides everything Jozy does without injuries, international duty and has a better resume.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    the prob is we dont have anybody on the bench,,thats another story.
    Yup. Bez thought he could deal Moore and Gomez. Didn't happen.

Now we get to watch the kids - just like every other team in the league has to at some point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think most have gotten past that micro issue
    I don't.

A week ago we had the first Altidore thread. It was pretty much all praise, at worst barely muted minor criticisms about the goal drought.

http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...ps-to-Altidore

He plays 35 more minutes, misses a penalty, gets hurt ... and this thread is a festival of people with pitchforks looking to move the guy.

The number of posts in 4 pages, saying "wow, tough luck, go get em Jozy, in July" is zero.

So let me be the first: wow, tough luck, go get em Jozy, in July
    Last edited by ensco; 05-17-2016 at 06:41 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't.

A week ago we had the first Altidore thread. It was pretty much all praise, at worst barely muted minor criticisms about the goal drought.

He plays 35 more minutes, misses a penalty, gets hurt ... and this thread is a festival of people with pitchforks looking to move the guy.

The number of posts in 4 pages, saying "wow, tough luck, go get em Jozy, in July" is zero.

seconded. The look on his face after he pulled up and missed the penalty was heartbreaking. Not to mention, you could tell he knew he was going to get tons of hurled abuse and absolutely no sympathy from the stadium.

Frankly a lot of the shit I heard in my section went way too far and was mildly racist. It was not nice to sit through.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ensco again.

Sorry, bud, but props.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can only speak for myself, but I never wanted to get rid of Altidore because of the missed penalty, they happen. I was actually glad to see Giovinco wanting to support his team-mate and insisting Jozy take it (since apparently it's Seba's call on the field) - thought it was great to see the team support each other.

I was super bummed that he is hurt again though - but I think most people are upset because he has made this team better when he has played this season. But given the league that we're in and the restrictions that come with it you can't have a lynch pin of the team playing less than 2/3 of the games consistently. I really want him to succeed with TFC, but how long can you realistically keep him around missing this many games?

You're completely right though - my heart really goes out to the guy. I hope he comes back in the summer and starts getting streaky again. And figures out whatever is going on with his hamstrings.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little bit of revisionism here, but that's okay, we all like to get our point across.

Altidore had a good game a week and a half ago but prior to that there were discussions that he wasn't pulling his weight and a was a waste of a DP slot. Then Vancouver happened that reaffirmed all those doubts after said doubters went quiet for a week. This is simply not flavour of the week/month scapegoating, it's an aggregate effect of a fan base that have watched three strikers come through on the same money and perform in two distinct camps. You've got Giovinco and 1st half Defoe in one camp and Altidore and 2nd half Defoe on the other. Altidore and 2nd half Defoe under performed for very different reasons but the net result is the same: A player not on the pitch who's allocated substantial resources from the team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all listen to the narratives we want to listen to.
    The only real known and agreed upon facts about Altidore are is he has had 4 hamstring injuries in 2 years on two different legs & when he has been healthy with TFC he scored last season enough to make him in the top 10 of MLS goal scorers (on a team with the #1). Everything else is opinion of worth - stock in trade in team discussions.

There are differences in opinion among supporters about the quality of his support work this season - there is NO difference in opinion among the media, players & coaches on this. None. He has been hands down lauded as fulfilling his promise as a target man creating spaces for players.

Altidore came to here with a significant amount of USMNT based bashers and EPL watching bashers in tow. He has not and is unlikely now to win those people over. Minds are made up. It would take 2 years of consistent scoring without injury to get it into people's heads that the guy can play. Some other people once he got there do not like his way of working or think he doesn't enough. Others think he should be scoring goals and that's the only way to judge him.

For some, if he plays well, its an abberation. For others, its fullfillment of promise

If he doesn't score, he's a bum or unlucky and/or playing well otherwise.

If he does score, it doesn't count as he should have played more or its all that he should be.

That's life as a lightning rod.

The one thing in this thread I find really strange (well apart from the couple of people crowing over his injury and wishing he would have his career finished) is the people saying he should lose weight - the guy lost more then 20 pounds over the off season. He's been taking care of himself. His Hamstrings are dodgy - that's the concern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep. That is where I stand on this. My only real issue is he isn't on the field enough with this nagging hamstring injury. Our DP's need to be durable and Jozy doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy. We can manage the USMNT call-ups I think, but that hamstring just won't heal apparently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Just a little bit of revisionism here, but that's okay, we all like to get our point across.

Altidore had a good game a week and a half ago but prior to that there were discussions that he wasn't pulling his weight and a was a waste of a DP slot. Then Vancouver happened that reaffirmed all those doubts after said doubters went quiet for a week. This is simply not flavour of the week/month scapegoating, it's an aggregate effect of a fan base that have watched three strikers come through on the same money and perform in two distinct camps. You've got Giovinco and 1st half Defoe in one camp and Altidore and 2nd half Defoe on the other. Altidore and 2nd half Defoe under performed for very different reasons but the net result is the same: A player not on the pitch who's allocated substantial resources from the team.
    You are trying to measure two completely different roles. Striker v target man.

Target man - being able to hold the ball, bringing team-mates into play, winning headers and making sure the opposition’s defenders don’t get an easy ride
    Striker - should be a team’s leading goal scorer and the most dangerous player in the attacking third of the field.

Yes, Altidore was brought to score some goals. But his production rate will never be equal to Giovinco. Its like comparing Apples to Oranges.

I have seen Altidore do all the above job requirements during his short career here.... (does the position warrant DP Money is another discussion entirely.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not even about roles for me. It's about How can he be effective when he's not on the field. My comparisons involving Defoe were more about having a forward threat - whether that be a goal scoring threat or a play creation threat. We've hired two thirds of a player to contribute for a full season, that's just the breaks when you take on an injury prone player at the behest of the MLS front office (because I'm pretty sure without this involvement the Sunderland swap does not happen but Defoe leaves anyway).

I feel like Alan Gordon could do the job, or is he passed it now? Haven't paid much attention to him recently.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    You are trying to measure two completely different roles. Striker v target man.

Target man - being able to hold the ball, bringing team-mates into play, winning headers and making sure the opposition’s defenders don’t get an easy ride
    Striker - should be a team’s leading goal scorer and the most dangerous player in the attacking third of the field.

Yes, Altidore was brought to score some goals. But his production rate will never be equal to Giovinco. Its like comparing Apples to Oranges.

I have seen Altidore do all the above job requirements during his short career here.... (does the position warrant DP Money is another discussion entirely.)
    Read it. Study it. Drink it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not even about roles for me. It's about How can he be effective when he's not on the field. My comparisons involving Defoe were more about having a forward threat - whether that be a goal scoring threat or a play creation threat. We've hired two thirds of a player to contribute for a full season, that's just the breaks when you take on an injury prone player at the behest of the MLS front office (because I'm pretty sure without this involvement the Sunderland swap does not happen but Defoe leaves anyway).

I feel like Alan Gordon could do the job, or is he passed it now? Haven't paid much attention to him recently.
    AG has played a total of 38 minutes this year, making 110K. Played 977 minutes last year 5 goals. Its possible he could do it... Although he is 34...
    Last edited by Carter; 05-18-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added age....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By all accounts Alan Gordon can't do pace anymore and can't find spaces - he's a role filler at the end of the game as a straight on banger with his head - that's not how Altidore plays.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he would need convincing that management has changed drastically. He's a California guy who thought we were the best thing about Toronto and not much else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that was just wishful thinking on my part. He really left an impression me during that half season or so. What was that, 5 years ago? Time's going by too fast for me lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Well he would need convincing that management has changed drastically. He's a California guy who thought we were the best thing about Toronto and not much else.
    Can't disagree when ABC was running the show :/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious: Bradley has scored fewer goals than Jozy and costs more, so why isn't there much vitriol against him as there is against Jozy?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Just curious: Bradley has scored fewer goals than Jozy and costs more, so why isn't there much vitriol against him as there is against Jozy?
    A General commands, a tank shoots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't.

Me as well, people need someone to blame

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not as much but it is out there. In here, somebody in the post Vancouver thread said Bradley wasn't worth $200K a year. This after well...this play

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley is not a striker and does his job for most part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't believe Bradley's shot was stopped in Portland. What a save though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Bradley is not a striker and does his job for most part.
    Nor is Jozy, he is a target man, not a striker, huge difference.

Definitely noticed the difference on the pitch tonight with lil jay chapman as target man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would trade Jozy for a bag of balls if we could. He will never live up to that DP contract.

Even if he was putting up Giovinco numbers (never will) he's a bad deal when he's only available to play in half our games. Simple as that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Nor is Jozy, he is a target man, not a striker, huge difference.

Definitely noticed the difference on the pitch tonight with lil jay chapman as target man.
    I never said he was. I was just using a blatant example that your probably didn't catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    I would trade Jozy for a bag of balls if we could. He will never live up to that DP contract.

Even if he was putting up Giovinco numbers (never will) he's a bad deal when he's only available to play in half our games. Simple as that.

It will be a celebration of it's own when jozy is gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is not a designated player on any team in Major League Soccer
    How can you be a designated player when your not on the pitch?
    Oh he's healthy? hes going with Bradley to the U.S
    Giovinco playing well? Yay he made it into the Azzurri!
    Anybody notice a problem here? Giovinco earns his pay cheque
    How many more years can we guarantee he wants our cheques?
    Nobody ever really talks about it. Bradley earns his pay cheque
    every game, this isnt about him anyways.
    Gomez is trying to out perform a Seattle DP on his 3 month contract.
    He's no messiah he's just trying to earn a pay cheque, you know who else is?
    Lots of people

Dump any dead weight to keep the boat afloat
    This is no 3 year rebuilding plan

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/s...o-shut-you-up/
    Last edited by dutch; 05-19-2016 at 03:53 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People panicing over the last two games but nor realising how much we missed the big guy last night. What ever....