Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Jozy Altidore Thread

There's been lots of Altidore talk recently spilling into various threads and with the news today, might as well contain it to one place.

http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/05...-injury-update

Altidore is going to miss 6-8 weeks after his latest hamstring strain. If it goes 8 weeks he'll miss 11 games (9 MLS, 2 V-Cup).

If Giovinco is called into the Euros we're in serious trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and water is wet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want him to do well for us, but I don't see how you keep him past this year. You need your big players playing games, and I don't see that happening with him. Which is a shame, because I have been enjoying his play for the past month.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    I want him to do well for us, but I don't see how you keep him past this year. You need your big players playing games, and I don't see that happening with him. Which is a shame, because I have been enjoying his play for the past month.
    I'm of the same mind. He'll be lucky to hit 22 starts this year - it's not enough. Let's not even discuss the possibility that he picks up one of these injuries right before or during the playoffs.

It's a shame. One of those players that is just inexplicably fragile. Can't have that for a guy that needs to be a difference-maker in a cap league. If I'm Bez I'm starting to put together a short list of target strikers to go after as a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    big fail by BEZ...not bringing in another striker.he knows jozy injury probs and that GIO is gone for a month.
    His mistake was last year. Two big money panic signings in Kantari and Gomez that have handcuffed us this year (and also not finding a transfer or loan for Moore). If we want to bring anyone in someone has to be moved out. One or two of our backup CBs seem most likely there if we do do something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh geez.

Who's our third striker right now? Hamilton?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gio, Babouli, Hamilton is now our striker depth.

Jozy is a good player but is we cant count on him to be available for 75% of our schedule each year whats the point in keeping him?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

big fail by BEZ...not bringing in another striker.he knows jozy injury probs and that GIO is gone for a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say the Bez fail was letting Gomez go, he was a versatile forward that wanted to be here. Apparently the salary dump couldn't be avoided though, I'm looking forward to when the numbers are published.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our striker depth chart is

Gio
    Jozy (injured)
    Babouli
    Endoh
    Delgado
    Osorio
    Anybody else at TFCII
    Hamilton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stuck with the waste of space for another 3 years. No one in their right mind would ever take Jozy off our hands at around 5 million a year....A career ending injury would be the best for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    Stuck with the waste of space for another 3 years. No one in their right mind would ever take Jozy off our hands at around 5 million a year....A career ending injury would be the best for TFC.
    Somebody buy this man a beer...and a shot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said on that other thread when this comment was first put out there, wanting somebody to have a career ending injury is one sicko opinion. I get people not liking how he plays but this crosses a line.

Altidore is a human being.

And people in here, a site for supporters of TFC, want him to suffer because he doesn't play up to their standards!?!?!!

Some people need to walk away from the keyboard, go find their happy place, smell some flowers, do whatever they have to to get a sense of reality and just calm down. Calling for the injury of a player is weird ass shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    As I said on that other thread when this comment was first put out there, wanting somebody to have a career ending injury is one sicko opinion. I get people not liking how he plays but this crosses a line.

And people in here, a site for supporters of TFC, want him to suffer because he doesn't play up to their standards!?!?!!

Some people need to walk away from the keyboard, go find their happy place, smell some flowers, do whatever they have to to get a sense of reality and just calm down. Calling for the injury of a player is weird ass shit.
    I can't give you reputation, but +1 from me.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't either, but here. +1

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben - D.O.W. View Post
    I can't give you reputation, but +1 from me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    I can't either, but here. +1
    You're both members, you should be able to dish out rep points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    China
    American expansion team

Hopefully

I've nothing against the guy, quite fond of him actually. On his day MLS is perfect for him but confidence,injuries and USMNT duty means those days are few and far between for a DP earning $4.5m a year. Bez and Manning need to find a way to jettison him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    American expansion team
    Try trading him to Atlanta. They have the money, start play next year, could like the idea of getting a big name USMNT player to kick start their first season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Try trading him to Atlanta. They have the money, start play next year, could like the idea of getting a big name USMNT player to kick start their first season.
    That's actually not a bad idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    That's actually not a bad idea
    I think this is a good idea too. The question though is, would we have to do a JDG type of deal to pull this one off?
    Last edited by spe18; 05-16-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspect GMing rearing it's ugly head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more like clearing up TL's mess

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    more like clearing up TL's mess
    No, I said it correctly the first time. But thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy was playing well the last few games and I predicted he would score in the Whitecaps game only for him to miss the penalty! We are screwed now as there is no-one else to come in. Babouli and Endoh can't be relied upon yet and as much as Gio can create for himself he can;t do it all

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This.

Goes back to the panic buy of Gomez to cover in case Altidore didn't come back from injury (who isn't doing gangbusters at Seattle BTW) after the panic getting of Kantari.

Coupled with Hamilton not progressing as people thought 2 seasons ago and nobody wanting to take Luke Moore and we have no cap space until July and not enough strikers.

Needs fixing but no panic.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-16-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goes back to the panic buy of Gomez to cover in case Altidore didn't come back from injury (who isn't doing gangbusters at Seattle BTW) after the panic getting of Kantari.
    <snip>
    Needs fixing but no panic.
    I think the reason we saw those buys is probably because both Vanney and Bez were under the gun last year. If TFC didn't make the playoffs, I'm not sure either of them would have been around at the start of this season. I don't think we'll be seeing any more panic buys because they feel comfortable they can grind out results with the group they currently have. I do foresee a TAM-level attacker joining in the summer transfer window.

But Jozy, for as much as I like him and his play both this season and last, is simply too injury prone based on his last two years of service. How many games has he missed being injured? I'm pretty sure his utilization rate is under 70%. You should be getting an 85% utilization rate or higher on your DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I think the reason we saw those buys is probably because both Vanney and Bez were under the gun last year. If TFC didn't make the playoffs, I'm not sure either of them would have been around at the start of this season. I don't think we'll be seeing any more panic buys because they feel comfortable they can grind out results with the group they currently have. I do foresee a TAM-level attacker joining in the summer transfer window.

But Jozy, for as much as I like him and his play both this season and last, is simply too injury prone based on his last two years of service. How many games has he missed being injured? I'm pretty sure his utilization rate is under 70%. You should be getting an 85% utilization rate or higher on your DPs.
    73.529%

Played 25 of 34 (regular season) last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    73.529%

Played 25 of 34 (regular season) last year.
    You should go by minutes played

1796 / 3060 = 58.693%

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post
    Our guys have been going down easy lately - especially Seba. Pretty much goes for contact each time and then throws himself on the ground. Not saying there's no fouls ever, nor that it's not a natural part of how he's adjusted to other teams defending against him... but for me it's becoming more and more difficult to defend our player's actions.

On a similar note, I think it's perfectly natural to get heated/emotional during big games, and to remonstrate, or even 'whine' a little bit. It's delusional to think that players are going to remain completely calm when they're playing in that high-pressure a situation. Regardless, I'm shocked Vasquez didn't receive a yellow for getting in the ref's face after the no-goal call... absolute terrible refereeing all game, but you can't do that.

Jozy... absolute embarrassment flopping like that on Kjlestan's push. We deserved to be hated on by the entire league for that one. F**king pathetic, really. If we're trying to convert more Toronto sports fans to soccer, that is not going going to set us back for years to come...
    Sorry to re-hash this discussion, from the EC first-leg match-thread; you complained of the response to this post, and, actually, I'm much more in the background, these days, for the same reason you expressed… but, this has been bothering me all week, and I felt compelled to reply.

I think where you lose people is in the vitriol with which you refer to our players. I've quoted the above, from you, but in a couple posts, well, you go out of your way to acknowledge the fact everything imaginable that could have happened to provoked Jozy, did… only to then snap on him for reacting.

People often speak about expecting professionalism, and I agree, to an extent; certainly expect more from them than I would, say, Sunday league players, but it seems some would have them composed as one might do working an office job. They're paid to work in high-octane situations and are human; these moments are inevitable, and so I think it's unfair to go off on them, like this, especially given the context of this specific case.

Such misdirected vitriol, for me, exacerbates the issue of diving and what not (urks me, as well, but I try to keep scope), as it only occurs because of poor officiating; if players are getting calls, whilst remaining on their feet, then they're not going to flop, because you're right: it's embarrassing, and many are alphas. The focus must be the ref. calling things, on the day, and the absolute hash he made of the job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Sorry to re-hash this discussion, from the EC first-leg match-thread; you complained of the response to this post, and, actually, I'm much more in the background, these days, for the same reason you expressed… but, this has been bothering me all week, and I felt compelled to reply.

I think where you lose people is in the vitriol with which you refer to our players. I've quoted the above, from you, but in a couple posts, well, you go out of your way to acknowledge the fact everything imaginable that could have happened to provoked Jozy, did… only to then snap on him for reacting.

People often speak about expecting professionalism, and I agree, to an extent; certainly expect more from them than I would, say, Sunday league players, but it seems some would have them composed as one might do working an office job. They're paid to work in high-octane situations and are human; these moments are inevitable, and so I think it's unfair to go off on them, like this, especially given the context of this specific case.

Such misdirected vitriol, for me, exacerbates the issue of diving and what not (urks me, as well, but I try to keep scope), as it only occurs because of poor officiating; if players are getting calls, whilst remaining on their feet, then they're not going to flop, because you're right: it's embarrassing, and many are alphas. The focus must be the ref. calling things, on the day, and the absolute hash he made of the job.
    Agree to disagree. I love the guy. Love the team. Will never turn my back on them - ever. But diving is a cancer to the sport. Simple. Have I ever embellished fouls on me when I felt the other team were hacking? Sure, maybe a few times. But there is a line for me that shouldn't be crossed - feigning injury for the purposes of getting other players sent off. This is my standard, and I won't deviate from it. We're better than that.

All is forgiven. It would be impossible for Jozy to apologize about it because it would be admitting guilt, and could possibly get him in trouble. Plus, he's not a diver in general, so I don't feel like he owes anything to us. I just expect better.

And with that - LET'S GET THAT CUP!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ochos View Post
    But diving is a cancer to the sport. Simple. Have I ever embellished fouls on me when I felt the other team were hacking? Sure, maybe a few times. But there is a line for me that shouldn't be crossed - feigning injury for the purposes of getting other players sent off. This is my standard, and I won't deviate from it. We're better than that.
    This is where you lose me; Jozy was pushed (read: didn't dive), and, in his pent up frustration, went down easy, to draw attention to it.

Again, after conceding that literally everything imaginable that could have happened to provoke him, did, as well as the bold parts above, it seems strange for you to have come for him with the vitriol you did, in your initial post… but, to each his own, I suppose.

Agree to disagree, indeed (not about the cup, though).