Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Gio head for greener pastures in July if this keeps up. We are an average team with him and would be a basement dweller if he wasn't here.
    There's no basis for this. Truth is, Giovinco loves being in Toronto. He didn't come to walk into MLS Cup in Year 2.

Now then, if Barcelona comes and offers Toronto FC $20 million for him, well...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Seba's goal/assist streak snapped tonight. It took the team 11 games to score without Seba being involved.
    To much being made of this, in my opinion. I can go through the situations if you want...

Why isn't anyone talking about how Altidore was the reason Toronto FC scored in three straight against New England, D.C. and Montreal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Vanney is rotating the CBs but what about the FBs? Beitashour needs a to sit.
    Beitashour is the club's best right fullback. He's one of the best right fullbacks in the Eastern Conference.

Plus, Mark Bloom is carrying an injury. He made the bench simply because TFC had nobody else.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Beitashour and Irwin know they can be better than they have been the last 2 games and have the experience to work out how to get there.

Impressed with Williams last night. Good to finally have 3 decent CBs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borga View Post
    It was the worst I've ever seen it too. Security is notably more stringent this season IMO, that'll slow things down substantially and increase lines.
    We were warned of changes in security and MLS security policy changes. Expect this to be the new norm.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressive amount of booing of David Silva last night when he came on almost compensated for the cheers when he was shown warming up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Impressive amount of booing of David Silva last night when he came on almost compensated for the cheers when he was shown warming up.
    I thought that's what people were booing too. I know I was. But others are telling me it was that Pirlo wasn't brought in with the third sub. Hope that's not the case, but there were a lot of Pirlo shirts around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I thought that's what people were booing too. I know I was. But others are telling me it was that Pirlo wasn't brought in with the third sub. Hope that's not the case, but there were a lot of Pirlo shirts around.
    I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason why.....looked like at least 1/3 of the crowd was there just to see Pirlo....Gate 4 was like a mosh pit after the game waiting for him to come out.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InSuL1nImP View Post
    Want to give a big shout out to Babouli and Johnson for their hustle tonight. Mo will break through in the next game or two I believe where we will only see 1 or 2 little mistakes a game. Really loving Endoh's creativity. On the other hand a big thumbs down to Moor tonight.
    i thought endoh was in visisble most of the game, too small (height and weight). I woulda switched chapman (who was shittn the bed) to the centre to use his height and feet)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That was the consensus around me last night. I put that down to Johnson being recessed more while Chapman was timid...very timid. He had many forward looks but continually passed backwards.
    There was one sequence where a through ball was played to the flank and Chapman and a NYCFC defenders raced to it. It was a 50/50 chance but Chapman pulled short, like he didn't want to get hit and allowed NYCFC defender to get the ball. Not impressed.

He's like TFC version of Kyle Bekker, except crappier passer but better dribbler. He needs to toughen up mentally if he's going to survive MLS.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    There was one sequence where a through ball was played to the flank and Chapman and a NYCFC defenders raced to it. It was a 50/50 chance but Chapman pulled short, like he didn't want to get hit and allowed NYCFC defender to get the ball. Not impressed.
    I saw that too. I was thinking WTF...not at this level. Go hard or go home.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really hoping Delgado or Osorio can play on Saturday. I know Chapman can't get better until he plays more minutes but you have to put your body on the line and try forward passes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    To much being made of this, in my opinion. I can go through the situations if you want...

Why isn't anyone talking about how Altidore was the reason Toronto FC scored in three straight against New England, D.C. and Montreal?
    Because a majority of TFC fans don't see that and need someone to blame. Also I think it has to be explained what the role of a Target hold up forward is supposed to do. Fickle dumb what ever you call it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kurt, you cannot deny the fact that Giovinco has single-handedly carried this team on his back since last year and also this year.

The teams offence is rarely a threat unless Seba is involved and the numbers are clearly screaming this out. Nobody else on the team can finish and that's the real cause for concern.

With the amount of playing time Jozy had this season, hes bound to get something right, and helping out on a few goals does not justify
    his ridiculous 5 mil/ year salary. Jozy was signed to score goals and has failed miserably. He is taking up a valuable DP spot and with his constant injury woes,
    he is dragging this team down further. I can assure you that if Babouli or any other half decent player was up top with Seba, they would have no trouble finishing
    the season with 10+ goals at a fraction of the cost of what is being spent on jozy.

Simply put, he needs to go. It's not even a question at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night you could plainly see how the team and especially Giovinco miss Altidore. Taxi for Chapman, average at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's like TFC version of Kyle Bekker, except crappier passer but better dribbler. He needs to toughen up mentally if he's going to survive MLS.
    LOL that play actually reminded me of Ibee Ibrahim!!

His outing was a shame because Saturday showed promise.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Chapman came on as a late sub a couple of times recently, I thought he looked good. Good ball control, and really added a spark to the team late in the game.

Yesterday as a starter, not so much...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he looked to have some leg cramps after that, but I at least expected a shoulder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    It looked like thousands were still trying to get through Gate 1 after the start of the match
    everyone showed up at 7, and the game started at 7 (7pm start is too early)

weekend game tickets said 7:30, but kick off was really around 7:45

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya....makes no sense whatsoever to have weekend games at 7:30 and weekday at 7:00.....that should be switched around....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    drop Altidore, sign Ibrahimovic ,MLS Cup is ours
    I had shivers run up my spine with that thought. Seba and Ibrahimovic on TFC? I think that would usher in the second coming of Christ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Kurt, you cannot deny the fact that Giovinco has single-handedly carried this team on his back since last year and also this year.

The teams offence is rarely a threat unless Seba is involved and the numbers are clearly screaming this out. Nobody else on the team can finish and that's the real cause for concern.

With the amount of playing time Jozy had this season, hes bound to get something right, and helping out on a few goals does not justify
    his ridiculous 5 mil/ year salary. Jozy was signed to score goals and has failed miserably. He is taking up a valuable DP spot and with his constant injury woes,
    he is dragging this team down further. I can assure you that if Babouli or any other half decent player was up top with Seba, they would have no trouble finishing
    the season with 10+ goals at a fraction of the cost of what is being spent on jozy.

Simply put, he needs to go. It's not even a question at this point.
    Ya I'll go ahead any deny that Gio has single-handedly carried this team. Don't get me wrong, I still think he is the best player in MLS history. BUT...
    This team has loads of talent that;
    1. Deserve credit for every win. Its a team sport. No team in the world can have one super talented player and a bunch of hacks and still be a threat.
    2. We play the game around Gio because of his insane talent. More balls go through him for him to do what he does. If there wasn't a Gio, we would adjust to suit other strengths on a team.

I get what your saying about how impactful he is, but I think saying he is single handedly carrying this team is ignoring the reality of the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC weren't as bad as some people are making out. I also don't think NYCFC are going to have as terrible a season as some people are saying either! Vieira has got them playing very compact now and is slowly changing the team to how he wants. They aren't going to be the bottom feeders of last season. The table doesn't lie in football, and NYCFC are top of the East.

One reason TFC are looking better away than at home is that Vanney has them playing counter-attacking football - generally a slow building up, and then trying to get Seba on the break as he is usually deadline one-on-one with the keeper. That works away as generally most teams attack at home. TFC sucks up the pressure and then hits on the break, and it is effective.

However, at home that doesn't really work. The opponent block up the midfield and stay defensive, meaning that TFC don't really have much opportunity to have breakaways and counter-attack. The one time TFC got the breakaway yesterday Seba missed the goal.

TFC could do with more width at home. I generally only see Morrow and Beiteshour trying to cross the ball (neither are particularly good attacking crossers). When Mo got wide yesterday he was more effective - but the problem being that we only had Seba in the box - this is where we clearly miss somebody of Altidore's height.

You can't play a counter-attacking game at home against a packed mid and defence, its not going to work. They can play that game away, but we have to attack at home and put the opponent on the back-foot from the kick off.
    Last edited by T-boy; 05-19-2016 at 11:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    TFC weren't as bad as some people are making out. I also don't think NYCFC are going to have as terrible a season as some people are saying either! Vieira has got them playing very compact now and is slowly changing the team to how he wants. They aren't going to be the bottom feeders of last season. The table doesn't lie in football, and NYCFC are top of the East.

One reason TFC are looking better away than at home is that Vanney has them playing counter-attacking football - generally a slow building up, and then trying to get Seba on the break as he is usually deadline one-on-one with the keeper. That works away as generally most teams attack at home. TFC sucks up the pressure and then hits on the break, and it is effective.

However, at home that doesn't really work. The opponent block up the midfield and stay defensive, meaning that TFC don't really have much opportunity to have breakaways and counter-attack. The one time TFC got the breakaway yesterday Seba missed the goal.

TFC could do with more width at home. I generally only see Morrow and Beiteshour trying to cross the ball (neither are particularly good attacking crossers). When Mo got wide yesterday he was more effective - but the problem being that we only had Seba in the box - this is where we clearly miss somebody of Altidore's height.

You can't play a counter-attacking game at home against a packed mid and defence, its not going to work. They can play that game away, but we have to attack at home and put the opponent on the back-foot from the kick off.

this is what had me wondering, where the F was endoh. wasn't he suppose to have this box to box engine. he was playing so deep. (this by the design I assume)

I think Vanney got the setup a bit wrong and didn't adjust when it wasn't working. To be fair, we missed our chances, passes, and crosses (morrow's crosses are getting worse)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no basis for this. Truth is, Giovinco loves being in Toronto. He didn't come to walk into MLS Cup in Year 2.

Now then, if Barcelona comes and offers Toronto FC $20 million for him, well...
    this is true....if anybody can get their hands on the latest SportsNet Magazine (Sidney Crosby bobblehead on the cover), "The Interview" in that issue is with Giovinco.....one specific question asked is (paraphrasing question & answer) "What do you miss from home?"....Seba's answer is "Nothing at all. Family and friends sometimes, but I just see the a little less now, that's it."

As things currently are, he really likes our city.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boring ass long ball, hoofing football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came in from the east end(Durham) yesterday for the game, and there was a go train leaving Whitby at 5:28pm, and would have put us at the game for 6:30ish with lots of time. The problem for us was that specific train only goes to Union, and no further. For the life of me, I cannot understand how public transit had not figured out how to coordinate schedules for big events when a lot of people need to get around. We literally sat on the platform and let the 5:28 train board without us, and we caught the next one around 5:52. This puts us and the hundreds, if not thousands of other people there a few minutes before kickoff. And that is why we are always late for games in my opinion. Public transit does not accommodate or factor in start times for anything. They just run on a regular schedule, and you either show up way too early, or you have no choice but to catch the later one and get to your seat at the ten minute mark. This must happen on the West/North lines as well im guessing. I think it really is as simple as that. Also doesn't help when they close the Gardiner and streetcars as well on busy weekends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Also could the tunnel between the Ex and the Go Station/Liberty Village be any more symptomatic of Toronto's poor planning and foresight? It's way too damn small. And it's awful now that 30,000 people are packing into BMO Field. Took my at least a half hour to get through that after the game.

I didn't realize what a pest Mix Diskerud is until that game. For some reason I thought he was more skilled, not a guy that gives annoying little cheap shots all over the place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a good laugh at the ground last night. Saw someone wearing a shirt saying "No Pirlo No Party" with a long sleeved TFC jersey underneath it (don't know if serious or play on "no pyro no party")

Those poor football snobs making the trek down to BMO (probably for the first time) to see Pirlo and he doesn't come off the bench.

Think of irony...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    We were warned of changes in security and MLS security policy changes. Expect this to be the new norm.
    Yes, but that doesn't make it right, or necessary. Owners love security because it means we can't bring our own food water (or booze). Doesn't make anyone any safer, and lessens the atmosphere for the clubs with the delays. It's too bad, maybe one day they can get back to normal.