Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Wow, this is an interesting story re: Castillo. Can't blame the league for wanting their money up front.

If we're lucky it will reveal more about inner workings of MLS contracts. Alexi Lalas making noise about MLSPU under reporting his salary for several years.
    The absolute non answer the head of the players union gave in response was

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love that you're trying to wade through the mire and cut through the peanut butter that is MLS deals but can't say I'm surprised at the subterfuge. It's how we compete as a league with the redonk numbers abroad.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Seriously, I saw that yesterday and read it about 5 times and I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to have learned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

And he's not even telling the truth. If I go look at salaries for numerous DP's around the league I'll see figures that are well beyond the budget charge.

One day teams are going to wake up and wonder why they have rooms full of league office lackies who do nothing but create red tape.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it hard to believe that Dallas doesn't know EXACTLY how much its paying somebody. Whether the league or the union know is another matter, but teams know darn well what is going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Seriously, I saw that yesterday and read it about 5 times and I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to have learned.
    Me too.

I mean Merritt Paulson continuously bangs the drum that they are nowhere near accurate. I get that an owner would say that for image purposes but Paulson doesn't strike me as the type, he's a straight shooter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I find it hard to believe that Dallas doesn't know EXACTLY how much its paying somebody. Whether the league or the union know is another matter, but teams know darn well what is going on.
    I'm sure FCD knows exactly what the number is and so does the league.

Just expressing that the further MLS moves towards competing for talent and away from pinching pennies the less value doing everything in an opaque manner adds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the Bedoya move to Philly is done. Had to give Chicago a grab bag of goodies (TAM, GAM, 1st rd pick, and Philly's #2 spot in the allocation list-putting Chicago back at the top of the list!) to complete the deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bedoya signed with Philadelphia. In perfect MLS style, Philadelphia gave up GAM, TAM, discovery rights, a first round draft pick and their spot on the allocation order to Chicago to get him. Is there any other non-money thing they could have given up?

ed: Ha Detroit. Beat me to it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Bedoya signed with Philadelphia. In perfect MLS style, Philadelphia gave up GAM, TAM, discovery rights, a first round draft pick and their spot on the allocation order to Chicago to get him. Is there any other non-money thing they could have given up?

ed: Ha Detroit. Beat me to it.
    If a football fan anywhere in the world other than MLS read about that trade, their head would immediately explode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canary - we're all out there looking for the breaking news!

I often wonder how much longer the owner-investors in the league are going to accept the increasingly complex roster mechanisms. Obviously, Bob Kraft is not going to send out an email tomorrow saying "hey, lets change the structure of the salary cap!" But at some point (in conjunction with a CBA I'm sure), some group of owners are going to want to press the reset button and open more roster control to the various teams. All except a couple teams are spending over $1M on DPs and as we know well some over $10M, time has come for a high absolute cap with a luxury tax. GarberBux(TM) are fun and gives teams something to trade but it's an anchor around the ankles of the teams. /rant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlie Davies to the Union

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly wins the mid season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/0...-all-mls-teams

Matt Doyle goes over every team's transfer window.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So somebody wanted MacMath out of Colorado and the Rapids nixed the deal at the last minute.

Interesting point McMath makes about the limits of what he can learn from Howard.

MacMath said he has paid attention to Howard's professional approach to the game -- but the technical aspects are another matter.
    "We’re two different kind of goalkeepers,” MacMath said. “He’s very athletic and he’s a lot quicker than I am. And I have to use my positioning more.”

I think he goes to NYCFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nigel de Jong leaves Galaxy for move to Galatasaray.....2 yr. contract.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    Nigel de Jong leaves Galaxy for move to Galatasaray.....2 yr. contract.....
    Great deal for the Galaxy. Was there a transfer fee involved or did they just come to a mutual termination?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Great deal for the Galaxy. Was there a transfer fee involved or did they just come to a mutual termination?
    not sure.....just read it in passing on ESPN FC while looking for any last minute deals Juve was making.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a free transfer, wants to get back in the Dutch squad so joining WS in Turkey is a good move. Wouldn't be surprised if the galaxy also wanted out of the deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Mutual termination.

The back story is if he played a certain amount of games for LAG, he was guaranteed a DP salary for the next 2 seasons. LAG did not want to hamstring themselves for that what with Gerrard retiring at the end of this season and Keane possibly playing somewhere else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Mutual termination.

The back story is if he played a certain amount of games for LAG, he was guaranteed a DP salary for the next 2 seasons. LAG did not want to hamstring themselves for that what with Gerrard retiring at the end of this season and Keane possibly playing somewhere else.
    Yeah, I now the backstory on why they did it. It's a smart move. It's not like he's been noticeably better than larentowicz this year. Or any better at all actually. With Keane and Gerrard retiring this season and LAFC coming in the season after I feel like the Galaxy are about to have a very big off-season. Not to sure anymore that Arena is planning on retiring too either. He's got too much young talent and cap space to work with going into next season. good for the league at least. I aways enjoy a good Galaxy team as a distant observer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not a transfer but thought it worth noting, reported in todays sun newpaper in UK

It's not just players who look at a move to the United States to prolong their careers. Former Premier League referee Howard Webb is to be interviewed for the role of head of Major League Soccer's officials. (The Sun)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    not a transfer but thought it worth noting, reported in todays sun newpaper in UK

It's not just players who look at a move to the United States to prolong their careers. Former Premier League referee Howard Webb is to be interviewed for the role of head of Major League Soccer's officials. (The Sun)
    I think that would be a very good signing

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post

We could sure use a DP ref.

That and retiring Baldomero toledo.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We could sure use a DP ref.

That and retiring Baldomero toledo.
    Just going to quote this just in case of the results of tomorrow's match.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For reasons that I think people could figure out, any source beyond the UK Sun?

Do not expect me to take anything in that rag with anything more then utter contempt.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biggest transfer in DCU history.

DC United finalize permanent transfer of Luciano Acosta from Boca Juniors

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/1...ampaign=Unpaid
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

according to ESPN FC, LA Galaxy, and both NY teams are looking to make a move for Juve's Sami Khedira in the offseason.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bit off topic but have never heard this one before. Wilfred Bony who is a Man city player on a season long loan at Stoke has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave in Jan if a Chinese super league team wants to buy him. I wonder if players will now start to add mls to that type of clause or possibly already have.
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38104149