Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kei Kamera (Joint top scorer in MLS last season) being traded to NER for nothing tangible this season is insane. It's just a sign that MLS is still a bush league operation. Could you imagine that we traded Giovinco for essentially future considerations? There would be a riot.

Ibra going to join the other 6 DP's at LAG..... Best to just lift the salary cap and let the chips fall where they may.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    Kei Kamera (Joint top scorer in MLS last season) being traded to NER for nothing tangible this season is insane. It's just a sign that MLS is still a bush league operation. Could you imagine that we traded Giovinco for essentially future considerations? There would be a riot.

Ibra going to join the other 6 DP's at LAG..... Best to just lift the salary cap and let the chips fall where they may.

It's very valuable money that they got for new signings. It's the exact same thing as a European player being sold for cash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I do not believe that.

Ibra isn't going to a secondary league. He isn't that guy.
    He already went to a secondary league when he signed for PSG. French league has got better since he went there but it is still not as highly regarded as PL, German, Spanish or Italian leagues. Eyebrows were certainly raised when he signed for PSG over one of the more "sexier" leagues, so he has proven he'll go where the highest money is paid. There is a lot of talk about him going potentially to pl next season, as the money there will be massive with new tv deal. I'd like to see him try for one maybe 2 seasons. It's one league he hasn't tried before and I think he'd do well in it.
    The LAG connection could be legit, Gerrard has basically just come and said again he wants back to Liverpool asap in some coaching capacity, so his departure could be expedited.
    With Ibra you just never know......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    Rivero left out of the 18. KK tweeting he is studying Vancouver. It was more than rumour.
    also heard that when crew saw one the VWFCs strikers go down, they tried to get more from caps. And caps walked.
    Vancouver were playing Chicago. Chicago are playing the Revs this weekend. Could have been a nice bit of misdirection from Kei. Revs GM said he'd been talking to the Crew about a deal for a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very reputable Swede journo (who broke the Martial transfer) says Zlatan will choose between Man United or The Galaxy.

https://translate.google.ca/translat...-text=&act=url

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes - but they have essentially written off the season by not having a replacement before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    It's very valuable money that they got for new signings. It's the exact same thing as a European player being sold for cash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Very reputable Swede journo (who broke the Martial transfer) says Zlatan will choose between Man United or The Galaxy.

If, or as a lot of people are assuming when Mourinho gets the Utd job, expect those links with Utd to get stronger. They have a very good relationship from their inter days, and the type of manager Mourinho is, ie 2-3 seasons at a club, he's looking instant success not some youngster who'll be top class in 2-3 seasons. Not a better man to bring in for 1 season to get you goals. The funny thing is he could do a season at Utd, then still come to LAG or whomever in MLS as a genuine superstar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    If, or as a lot of people are assuming when Mourinho gets the Utd job, expect those links with Utd to get stronger. They have a very good relationship from their inter days, and the type of manager Mourinho is, ie 2-3 seasons at a club, he's looking instant success not some youngster who'll be top class in 2-3 seasons. Not a better man to bring in for 1 season to get you goals. The funny thing is he could do a season at Utd, then still come to LAG or whomever in MLS as a genuine superstar
    Yup, he's probably waiting to see if Mourinho actually gets the United job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I expected. There have been romours of him going to Man U for a while now and I wouldn't be surprised if they threw stupid money at him in an attempt to get back into the top 4. I wonder if Europa league would be enough to further entice him to England (which they still haven't clinched yet).

Either way if he ends up in LA without them losing somebody big, I'll have a hard time taking this league seriously again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have read that he wants to go back to AC Milan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    He already went to a secondary league when he signed for PSG. French league has got better since he went there but it is still not as highly regarded as PL, German, Spanish or Italian leagues. Eyebrows were certainly raised when he signed for PSG over one of the more "sexier" leagues, so he has proven he'll go where the highest money is paid. There is a lot of talk about him going potentially to pl next season, as the money there will be massive with new tv deal. I'd like to see him try for one maybe 2 seasons. It's one league he hasn't tried before and I think he'd do well in it.
    The LAG connection could be legit, Gerrard has basically just come and said again he wants back to Liverpool asap in some coaching capacity, so his departure could be expedited.
    With Ibra you just never know......
    This is false equivalency. Ligue 1 and PSG are in a completely different category than MLS and LAG. That isn't much of a step down. He had a serious shot there at the CL title every year.

My opinion flows from simply following Zlatan's twitter feed over several years, anyone who has done that knows that he has way too royal a self-image to start playing in retirement setups.

He's going to Milan or Manchester United, that LAG story is just about how things work in Italy, and how MLS is becoming the stalking horse for every agent there post-Giovinco and Pirlo.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is false equivalency. Ligue 1 and PSG are in a completely different category than MLS and LAG. That isn't much of a step down. He had a serious shot there at the CL title every year.

My opinion flows from simply following Zlatan's twitter feed over several years, anyone who has done that knows that he has way too royal a self-image to start playing in retirement setups.

He's going to Milan or Manchester United, that LAG story is just about how things work in Italy, and how MLS is becoming the stalking horse for every agent there post-Giovinco and Pirlo.
    I dunno, outside of about five teams, Ligue 1 is pretty small potatoes. Have you seen how small a town Le Havre is? PSG is a big name, so it's more like going to Celtic than going to MLS. But it's not a top league. I just don't see his ego trumping "Lalalalala America!" You have to grow up over there to understand; the U.S. is glitzy to many Europeans just on principle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ibra is the type of player who would be offended if an offer came in from MLS. Very egotistic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    I have read that he wants to go back to AC Milan.
    Milan aren't able to sign anyone until a takeover has been agreed to, no? Or am I imagining that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he comes (a big if), he wouldn't be coming to play in MLS, he would come to be in LA and be part of the star circuit. The playing in MLS part is just an adjunct of the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_tfc View Post
    if he comes (a big if), he wouldn't be coming to play in mls, he would come to be in la and be part of the star circuit. The playing in mls part is just an adjunct of the other.
    lafc in 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lafc in 2018
    That actually makes way more sense. For both LAFC (huge marquee name for rollout) and Ibra (super well connected LAFC owners opening all the doors).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    If he comes (a big if), he wouldn't be coming to play in MLS, he would come to be in LA and be part of the star circuit. The playing in MLS part is just an adjunct of the other.
    That's the case no matter where he ends up. Even if it's Manchester United. I don't doubt that it's a decision for the ego, rather than a footballing decision.

at 34 he is playing the best football of his carrer. Hopefully he gives it a couple of years before coming over to the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he can't have too royal a self image if he's playing in France when you consider the number of big clubs in any of the top leagues that would have taken him. I do get your point re false equivalency, but my point was that he has shown before, he has no hesitation in playing a league not considered as one of the top ones if it suits him, and of course the money is right.
    In saying that I don't see him playing in MLS myself just yet, but he's sprung surprises before.....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ibra for LAFC has been the long standing rumour and they don't start until 2018.

On another note, John Terry goes back to Chelsea for another year, thus hopefully stopping all the navel gazing in MLS circles about whether he would be a good idea over here.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yes and no. NER basically traded its potential to bolster their backfield DM areas, which are where they lack right now. They got all the attacking busy bees right now but can't keep teams out.
    Fair point, but they will be a handful offensively all the same. Kamara is a scoring beast and they certainly have the guys to feed the beast. I'm not saying they are going to be much better, but they will be more dangerous to play against. If he's on his game and you have to score 3 or 4 to beat them, then it's going to be a tough game. That said, our defence has been rock solid, so I like our chances.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESPN big hitters are saying Zlatan is in talks with MLS http://www.espnfc.us/story/2872062/z...galaxy-sources

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it happens it's gotta be a loan for the rest of this MLS season, and he actually joins LA in 2017. LA can't buy down any of their existing DPs and I don't think Gerrard is going to retire mid-season.

Makes sense if Keane has told the Galaxy he's going to retire after this year, Ibrahimovic is let's just say a more than adequate replacement. Gerrard and Keane leave, De Jong's DP status kicks in, Dos Santos remains and then Ibrahimovic joins to make it 3 DPs for next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking for a while a 4th DP slot makes sense as the league is looking more and more attractive to bigger name players and the big spenders don't have any slots left. Can't see it happening til the offseason but i'm sure it has to be on the table

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zlatan to LA, Ronaldo to NY, Messi to Miami, suarez to cbus (because he deserves to rot in cbus)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I dunno, outside of about five teams, Ligue 1 is pretty small potatoes. Have you seen how small a town Le Havre is? PSG is a big name, so it's more like going to Celtic than going to MLS. But it's not a top league. I just don't see his ego trumping "Lalalalala America!" You have to grow up over there to understand; the U.S. is glitzy to many Europeans just on principle.
    Ligue 1 is not a top league, but playing for PSG is not exactly playing in Ligue 1 either, given the automatic CL qualification, the payroll and the caliber of teammates.

Oh by the way:

Le Havre: population 175,000
    Darmstadt: population 151,000
    Norwich: population 140,000
    Frosinone: population 46,000
    Eibar: population 27,000

The really crazy one is Guingamp, population 7,000. Anyway, every league has teams in small towns.

This gets at the point you may be making. Note that Ligue 1 has the same TV revenues as the Bundesliga.
    http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/20...ropean-leagues

Point is, Ibra would literally kill somebody on the field here. He couldn't possibly handle the travel, lousy reffing, iffy service, or $60K NCAA defenders trying to break legs. There's no way.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-13-2016 at 03:42 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dump Altidore sign Zlatan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the LA Galaxy Executives being quoted off the record in the LA Times saying he might come is also just part of the way things work in Italy? Give your head a shake. There is a difference between garbage websites publishing rumours and the LA Times, ESPN and the Washington Post reporting a story with off and on the record sources.

I think Zlatan, like Beckham, sees LA for what it is - the home of the stars. The football is a step down, but LA is far better today than in was when Beckham came. Conquering America is not a step down. It is the ultimate step.
    Last edited by TFC/Everton; 05-13-2016 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zlatan views himself as a god and I still think he wants to prove people he could produce at the highest level, that's the only thing stopping him from coming.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    And the LA Galaxy Executives being quoted off the record in the LA Times saying he might come is also just part of the way things work in Italy?.
    MLS being played. Whether they are in on the joke or not, I don't know.

Believe what you want, it's a free country.