Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Ligue 1 is not a top league, but playing for PSG is not exactly playing in Ligue 1 either, given the automatic CL qualification, the payroll and the caliber of teammates.

Oh by the way:

Le Havre: population 175,000
    Darmstadt: population 151,000
    Norwich: population 140,000
    Frosinone: population 46,000
    Eibar: population 27,000

The really crazy one is Guingamp, population 7,000. Anyway, every league has teams in small towns.

This gets at the point you may be making. Note that Ligue 1 has the same TV revenues as the Bundesliga.
    http://bitterandblue.sbnation.com/20...ropean-leagues

Point is, Ibra would literally kill somebody on the field here. He couldn't possibly handle the travel, lousy reffing, iffy service, or $60K NCAA defenders trying to break legs. There's no way.
    Ligue 1 is probably 4th or 5th best league in the world.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    Ligue 1 is probably 4th or 5th best league in the world.
    It's clearly 5th.

England, Spain, Germany and Italy are all better. Then France is in a second tier by itself, maybe with Brazil. Then you get Portugal, maybe Brazil, Argentina, Russia, maybe Holland, all in a third tier. Close behind that are Belgium, Poland, Mexico. Then there's a big drop to all the other European leagues (Austria, Scotland, and 10 others). MLS is maybe also in this 5th tier, so is J-League.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd worry a little if Mahrez is sold by Leicester. The most direct and perfect replacement would be Giovinco in exactly the same role. Ranieri with a massive cheque book and Champions League play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ligue 1 is 6th on the UEFA coefficient list. Portugal in 5th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS being played. Whether they are in on the joke or not, I don't know.

Believe what you want, it's a free country.
    Oh yes, those damn brilliant Euro businessmen are playing Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) for fools! This happens all the time to American businesses. They are constantly being outplayed. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's clearly 5th.

England, Spain, Germany and Italy are all better. Then France is in a second tier by itself, maybe with Brazil. Then you get Portugal, maybe Brazil, Argentina, Russia, maybe Holland, all in a third tier. Close behind that are Belgium, Poland, Mexico. Then there's a big drop to all the other European leagues (Austria, Scotland, and 10 others). MLS is maybe also in this 5th tier, so is J-League.
    This absolute crap. What are you comparing quality of play, attendance figures, TV revenue? If we go by your tainted North American view point we should only be watching the Spanish League as all the others are second rate to it. As I've said before soccer is played in almost every country in the world and there are quality players and teams everywhere. This rating of leagues is crap. Be happy to have and watch Professional Soccer in your city and stop comparing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    This absolute crap. What are you comparing quality of play, attendance figures, TV revenue? If we go by your tainted North American view point we should only be watching the Spanish League as all the others are second rate to it. As I've said before soccer is played in almost every country in the world and there are quality players and teams everywhere. This rating of leagues is crap. Be happy to have and watch Professional Soccer in your city and stop comparing.
    Whoa there, captain straw man. I think ensco used pretty sound reasoning there. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that doesn't think there's a big 4, then France and Portugal come after it and that those other leagues all come after them. We all enjoy professional football but let's not pretend these leagues are one and them same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Oh yes, those damn brilliant Euro businessmen are playing Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) for fools! This happens all the time to American businesses. They are constantly being outplayed. lol
    You didn't even bother read my post. I said MLS could be in on it, ie doing Ibra's agent a favour. Leiweke was a big player of this game.

I could see Ibra going to LA in a couple of years, maybe, .... maybe. Playing along with this now could be part of building that relationship for the future.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Peeps can enjoy a league that isn't top 5. Especially if its THEIRS. ensco definitely knows this is his league (whether he always likes it or not)
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You didn't even bother read my post. I said MLS could be in on it, ie doing Ibra's agent a favour. Leiweke was a big player of this game.

I could see Ibra going to LA in a couple of years, maybe, .... maybe. Playing along with this now could be part of building that relationship for the future.

While it amounts to the same iffy outcome, the relationship between the 2 groups doesn't necessarily mean its a joke.

But the MLS transfer relationship with other more established or storied leagues is absolutely...unique in how they must approach things.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Peeps can enjoy a league that isn't top 5. Especially if its THEIRS. ensco definitely knows this is his league (whether he always likes it or not)
    Yeah, well put. Same as how I feel about BMO. It's mine/ours, in a way that the Leafs/Raps/Jays, or any big Euro league team, can never be.

Someone here posted about all the complaining - he was totally right about that, but missed the way that TFC/MLS is like a family dinner, really. It's not really complaining, it's something more heartfelt and personal.

How many people in this city know enough to intelligently discuss TFC? Maybe a few thousand. (Maybe a few hundred, really!). There are really only maybe 50 reliable posters here.

I mean, have a look at a Jays board. What is it, 200 pages of posts every game?

There is a lot to love, and learn, in life, as a diehard supporter of a minor league team. It's more than fine.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-15-2016 at 01:16 PM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's clearly 5th.

Have you watched Mexico? I'd put their league much higher up your scale. Definitely up there with Portugal et al.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Have you watched Mexico? I'd put their league much higher up your scale. Definitely up there with Portugal et al.
    No. I will take your word for it. Mexico is hard to evaluate.

Mexican teams have a poor record in Copa Libertadores.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It is a weird league because it is somewhat isolated. The playing style is unique and they have a huge (not Brazil huge, but still huge) structure and talent pool. It's somewhat more international now, but it used to be even more insular. When you do compare the big name teams against the South American giants, they should do well, but often come up a bit short. But watching the play, the skill of the players and the amount of talent they produce on a regular basis, I'd put them in that third tier. But probably on their performance internationally, they'd be closer to 3.5, if you will. And they are as obsessed as anyone with the sport.

Anyway, this isn't really transfer talk, so I'll stop, but I do enjoy the Liga MX.

Edit: Actually, this article makes me think I'm relying more on bias and nostalgia, as this statistical analysis would seem to support your assertion that they are further down the scale. Interestingly, England is also ranked below Argentina, France and Brazil. I wonder what criteria they use to determine this. The article mentions performance at both the local and international level, but doesn't give much detail beyond that. Perhaps a topic for another discussion.

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/adrenali.../01/07/1067415
    Last edited by Jack; 05-15-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mexican side Tigres UANL lost in the final last year. i would say that is doing pretty good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is that Ibra to the Galaxy move coming along?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He wants to keep getting his current wage at PSG. Man U might spring for that.

Not sure LAG wants to spring for $20 million a year in actual real "pay Ibra or suffer" money. (IIRC, Beckham was a TL smoke and mirrors show - most of his supposed pay was in endorsement deals and the price of a new team at the time)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

State of play (rumour wise) is Ibra to Galaxy or LAFC by 2018, Ronaldo to Miami by 2018, as is Messi to NYCFC. We gotta compete and attract a glamour signing to our glamour city!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well except Miami ain't playing anywhere in 2018.

UK rumours now Ibra to Man U signing this week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're still talking. Based on a few stories I've seen I'd be surprised if he came while he can still get more money in Europe. But maybe the league will cut him a franchise deal, like Beckham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If and when Mourinho gets the Utd job, that will be a bigger contributing factor than wages on him joining Utd. They have worked with each other previously and were very successful. Plus the lure of Utd is still huge, it's one of the big leagues he hasn't played in, and although Utd aren't in Champions league next yr, you can see them challenging for honours domestically again within 2 seasons. Mourinho doesn't come to clubs for a long time, approx 3 seasons sames to be his tenure, but he brings success wherever he goes. Some silverware in a resurgent Utd might have preference over money. If money was his true determination, he'd be off to China asap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of speculation in the UK he's going to Old Trafford once Jose is settled in

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quelle surprise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quelle surprise
    You'll be happy to know you called creavalle right too. Philly has him as a straight midfield anchor and he's killing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    You'll be happy to know you called creavalle right too. Philly has him as a straight midfield anchor and he's killing it.
    but we got Gomez in that deal, so if Jozy ever goes down we can call upon a trusty veteran. FACKKKKK!!!!!!!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    but we got Gomez in that deal, so if Jozy ever goes down we can call upon a trusty veteran. FACKKKKK!!!!!!!!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/0...ade-toronto-fc

On Friday, the versatile defender/midfielder was acquired by the Philadelphia Union in exchange for a 2016 second-round draft pick in the 2016 SuperDraft.
    That pick went to Vancouver for Beitashour.

So.....Creavalle for Beitashour.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-25-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/0...ade-toronto-fc

That pick went to Vancouver for Beitashour.

Bez strikes again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Owen Coyle fired by Houston tonight. Paging Jason Kreis, please pick up any courtesy phone for a immediate job offer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Not a good trade. Creavalle playing like a stud, equivalent to Bradley. Massive difference in cap hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a good trade. Creavalle playing like a stud, equivalent to Bradley. Massive difference in cap hit.
    I think between Aaron Maund and Warren Creavalle's play this season, it's safe to say perhaps we lack patience.