Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Props to Altidore

I was looking for a thread to say this in, but could not find one. So I will start one.

He is not scoring. But fuck I think Altidore is playing great. Great hustle, great physicality, creates space, great feel and passing and great one two play with Giovinco and the rest of the team. I think he has done everything a CF should in this system and playing with a number 10 like Gio.

Yes, he could/should have finished a few of the changes, but overall I am very happy with his contribution. I trust that by the end of the season he will have 12-15 goals.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen. He was dominant.

I dont often call out people's knowledge of the game as it's often subjective but if naysayers couldnt see that what Jozy did yesterday made a world of difference, I cant help you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ that is a problem I find, you can be knowledgeable and have a difference of opinion. But allot of opinions seem to be based on a lack of knowledge/understanding of the game.

You can tell me, listen he is a Center Forward and the bottom line is that he needs to score, but when you tell me he is useless and he does nothing, then I have to question if you understand what is going on on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's like the anti-Kamara at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YES! Altidore has been fantastic for us so far this year... especially the last few games. Once the goals start coming in it'll be all the more exciting at BMO. Otherwise he's playing such a pivotal role to hold up play and create space for others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes he's been doing things other than scoring but the goals need to start because at this point it is plain ludicrous that him and seba are on virtually the same salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Yes he's been doing things other than scoring but the goals need to start because at this point it is plain ludicrous that him and seba are on virtually the same salary.
    No. Just no.

Rate their performance not their stat line. His last two games have been stellar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    No. Just no.

Rate their performance not their stat line. His last two games have been stellar.
    Count me as one of the converted, and even a couple days ago I posted about Altidore and stating "numbers don't lie".

Well,. I've learned that there are far more numbers to look at than goals and assists, and it's in those other ways that Jozy is contributing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I was looking for a thread to say this in, but could not find one. So I will start one.

He is not scoring. But fuck I think Altidore is playing great. Great hustle, great physicality, creates space, great feel and passing and great one two play with Giovinco and the rest of the team. I think he has done everything a CF should in this system and playing with a number 10 like Gio.

Yes, he could/should have finished a few of the changes, but overall I am very happy with his contribution. I trust that by the end of the season he will have 12-15 goals.
    A shame the question he faced post-game. http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/09...erything-right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is one of the many players on this team exceeding my expectations of them this season. This is the first time in his career he's really played as a true #9 and he's looked fantastic doing it. Keep up the good work, the goals will come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ that is a problem I find, you can be knowledgeable and have a difference of opinion. But allot of opinions seem to be based on a lack of knowledge/understanding of the game.

You can tell me, listen he is a Center Forward and the bottom line is that he needs to score, but when you tell me he is useless and he does nothing, then I have to question if you understand what is going on on the pitch.
    I don't entirely agree with this. He needs to score in the games he needs to score in. For instance, in Portland.
    He didn't need to score vs. Dallas. His other contributions were massive. The amount of time he took off the clock with his hold up play was immense. Truth is, Endoh is actually stealing his runs, which is fine, but kind of funny.
    Forwards need to score in certain moments, but not in games like Saturday's.
    Let's not forget, without Altidore, Giovinco wouldln't have scored in DC or New England. Also wouldn't have scored the PK in Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really, REALLY don't want Jozy to go to the Copa America.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel a DP striker needs to score goals, Altidore is capable of doing this but so far this season I would not say he has been fantastic, not even close. There are tons of players that can come in and hold up the ball and do one-twos with Gio. So I would like to see more finishing out of him, before we can say that he is having a good season. Now he could also go out and score 4 goals in the next 3 games and that changes things completely. Fingers crossed that's what happens and he can take a bit of the weight off of his shoulders.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I thought he played well. He brought the ball down with his back to goal a few times and muscled guys off to create some space for himself and others.
    I think with Gio, Delgado, Endoh and Oso - the team has a lot of small players who can get into tight spaces very quickly. The good thing with Jozy is that he is the tall guy in that mix who can bring the ball down, draw a couple players to himself and then pass if off.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin10000 View Post
    I really, REALLY don't want Jozy to go to the Copa America.
    Funny. This Copa is more like it's coming to him than him going to it. But agreed. Him and Bradley.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... because at this point it is plain ludicrous that him and seba are on virtually the same salary.
    Not even close unless you mean the cap hit.

Seba $7,115,555.67

Altidore $4,750,000.00

He's playing REALLY well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deltron View Post
    There are tons of players that can come in and hold up the ball and do one-twos with Gio. .

Funny, but there is currently only 1 other player in the league playing that style and he plays for LAG, is a USMNT and is equally despised by some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    I don't entirely agree with this. He needs to score in the games he needs to score in. For instance, in Portland.
    He didn't need to score vs. Dallas. His other contributions were massive. The amount of time he took off the clock with his hold up play was immense. Truth is, Endoh is actually stealing his runs, which is fine, but kind of funny.
    Forwards need to score in certain moments, but not in games like Saturday's.
    Let's not forget, without Altidore, Giovinco wouldln't have scored in DC or New England. Also wouldn't have scored the PK in Montreal.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I think that's why Seba was so pissed off. Hopefully they get that sorted.

Although, for next game, with either Delgado hurt or Johnson suspended, Endoh will most likely be on the wing with Osorio at the tip of the diamond, so hopefully that problem won't surface.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he left it all out on the field, played his ass off.
    was unlucky

he was tieing up so many players, im surprised OTHER players didn't score more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    No. Just no.

...I am rating his performance, that's why I said he's been been doing things well other than scoring. But the goals do need to start coming no? He missed a few sitters the first few games but he seems like he's finally catching up with himself and is helping in other ways. But we can't just have Seba scoring so yes...Altidore does need to do more (like score).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Not even close unless you mean the cap hit.

Seba $7,115,555.67

Altidore $4,750,000.00

He's playing REALLY well.

Hmm, thought Seba was on 6.5 and Jozy was on 5.5 - guess not. Even so, a DP forward has to do more than tangle defenders up and hopefully he's on his way there.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like this quote from Jozy's postgame interview:

"I'm here to win. It's one thing to come here and score goals and lose. Would you rather that?"

He's playing really well. He's missed a few chances, but he'll have a break out game and bang in a few, I'm sure of it.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But we can't just have Seba scoring so yes...Altidore does need to do more (like score).
    Endoh

Johnson

Jus sayin'
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I noticed is that he sometimes plays a little soft against a defender on bringing balls down from the air. He always plays the positioning so that, if the defender misses it, he is gone and I get that. But he is a big lad and looks like he could get that header in the air most times for that first touch onto another Red.

I think once he pots one or two, his scoring will come back in spades.
    Father. . . Husband. . . Freemason. . . Redpatch Boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been very happy with Altidore so far this season. Sure, he's not been banging in goals, but we're grabbing points like never before - and he's been integral in that effort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore has changed his approach to the game this season, likely on Vanney's request. He is taking a ding on his scoring stats for the greater good.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Afra View Post
    The only thing I noticed is that he sometimes plays a little soft against a defender on bringing balls down from the air. He always plays the positioning so that, if the defender misses it, he is gone and I get that. But he is a big lad and looks like he could get that header in the air most times for that first touch onto another Red.

I think once he pots one or two, his scoring will come back in spades.
    I've noticed that he's not that good with his head. He's got very good feet for a big guy, but he's not your typical target man who can make the little touches with his head.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney said in the post game presser he told them at the half to play balls into Altidore's feet,

He also said they are going to do some finishing training this week now that they are home for a bit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore certainly deserves a 7 or 8 out of 10.

I am not quite feeling the same level of love as others, as I remember Dichio doing all the other things Altidore is doing, and scoring
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Altidore certainly deserves a 7 or 8 out of 10.

I am not quite feeling the same level of love as others, as I remember Dichio doing all the other things Altidore is doing, and scoring
    but Dichio had a magnet on his head for the ball