Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Wasn't that perfect pass to Giovinco, which resulted in a goal, made by Perquis? Perquis made one glaring mistake, but was the best defender all game
    He made that glaring mistake on the first goal.
    But he also played Manneh real bad on Manneh second goal that made the score 3-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    It was a 4-3 soccer game...we just simply lost the shoot out, as plain as that.

Both teams defenses sucked balls.
    I think the turning point(s) was the giveaway on the 1st goal and the missed penalty kick.

I get Altidore is struggling to find the net, but down 2-0 anyone other then Ant Man taking the kick is a no go.
    If we are up a goal then fine let Jozy take it.
    But I knew right when I saw Altidore prepping to take the kick that he was going to miss.

If we reverse these 2 point we win 4-3 instead .. oh well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was just one of those games. TFC made a good Vancouver team look even better with 2 bad giveaways. TFC were clearly the better team after they went down 2-0 until they tied it up at 2. Two more screw ups in 2 minutes and game over, I'm not worried.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is TFC with their history one should always be worried, I'm also worried apart from their futile history which always causes me to worry, this team lacks depth it's frightening , every game this season so far I have looked on the bench and have seen nothing , this team is just a few injuries away from being your TFC of past seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well I mean when one of your highest paid players is often unavailable due to injury, has no goals on the season (as a forward), and misses a game tying penalty that will happen.

Not the only event on the day but I think some of the criticism is fair.
    Every year people get fixated on a player and he became a scapegoat for all the problems of the team. People are fixated on Altidore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    He made that glaring mistake on the first goal.
    But he also played Manneh real bad on Manneh second goal that made the score 3-2.
    What mistake did he make on the first goal? The 3rd goal was not on him. Sure in retrospect it would have been nice that he was closer to be able to recover and take on Manneh after the initial fuck up, but he was in a good defensive position. However, due to the error left Manneh so free that he could not get back fast enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    This is TFC with their history one should always be worried, I'm also worried apart from their futile history which always causes me to worry, this team lacks depth it's frightening , every game this season so far I have looked on the bench and have seen nothing , this team is just a few injuries away from being your TFC of past seasons.
    Good god. This is true for any team. Despite the loss there is many reasons to be optimistic.

The real concern for me is the right side of our defense, because as good as they are for the most part, they both seem to be capable of the occasional stupid error, which is concerning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KurtLarSUN View Post
    I'll just leave this right here...

Toronto FC started with 1st and 3rd overall selections ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_MLS_SuperDraft
    I was of the understanding that Payne had to trade down for allocation because the former Head office Trioka of Anselmi, Cochrane, and Mariner left the salary cap as such a dumpster fire of back-loaded contracts (O'Dea?) that TFC wouldn't have been Cap compliant at the start of the following season, hence why we had so many loans that season. I am so thankful that Payne took over because if ACM were still in charge, I'm positive there would be no TFC anymore.

And I still feel bad for Jozy. He's had a good season, but he is simply just too injury prone and his contract shouldn't be extended after this year. I also thought that TFC had to take the trade of Defoe for Altidore because of pressure from MLS not to lose face with a straight transfer.
    Last edited by Initial B; 05-16-2016 at 06:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I was of the understanding that Payne had to trade down for allocation because the former Head office Trioka of Anselmi, Cochrane, and Mariner left the salary cap as such a dumpster fire of back-loaded contracts (O'Dea?) that TFC wouldn't have been Cap compliant at the start of the following season, hence why we had so many loans that season. I am so thankful that Payne took over because if ACM were still in charge, I'm positive there would be no TFC anymore.

And I still feel bad for Jozy. He's had a good season, but he is simply just too injury prone and his contract shouldn't be extended after this year. I also thought that TFC had to take the trade of Defoe for Altidore because of pressure from MLS not to lose face with a straight transfer.
    Altidore doesn't need to have his contract "extended". He's signed for a length of five years. Unclear what the actual terms are, though, within that deal.

As for Defoe, why would an EPL team pay a transfer fee for a player who openly said he wanted to leave Toronto and who they knew was looking for a way out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One bad game in 10 is not a bad average at all - so chill out folks.
    That said, the context in which the game progressed was really BAD.
    Perquis was slow as hell, Osorio seemed on another planet at times, and Johnson was a non-factor.

BTW: any word on Osorio?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering how solid TFC defence has been so far, I'll call a mulligan on this one. I do think Robbo out maneuvered Vanney.
    It helped that TFC D made Manneh look like Giovinco, but Robbo gave up the flanks to TFC and concentrated on protecting the centre and dared TFC wide midfielders and fullbacks to cross the ball where their 2 CBs gobble up pretty much everything in the air, because Altidore was not there and TFC had no aerial presence up front. Easy to defend that way.

Then try to exploit TFC defence on the counters with FBs exposed. I thought Irwin perhaps could have done a little more to prevent one of the goals, but he really got hung out dry by the D. Ousted was the different for Caps making some critical saves. Irwin didn't do much.

This game should have been a win considering Caps played last Wed and were missing 3 key players. TFC midfield didn't do much to stop Morales from triggering Caps attack from more deep playmaking position vice CAM. That was Endoh's job to close down Morales and he wasn't very effective on that.

Oh well. Onward to next game.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    What mistake did he make on the first goal? The 3rd goal was not on him. Sure in retrospect it would have been nice that he was closer to be able to recover and take on Manneh after the initial fuck up, but he was in a good defensive position. However, due to the error left Manneh so free that he could not get back fast enough.
    The first goal, from what I saw, Osorio was tracking back towards Perquis (facing him), and at about a 4yrd distance Perquis passes it ahead of him as though he was going forward into space - which was into the path of Manneh and into a gaping hole in the d-line. Johnson then proceeded to tear a strip off him. I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread but I haven't gone back yet.

The third goal might not have been on him but he was essentially a pylon. Maybe I'm missing it but that was essentially a 1v1 and Manney simply ran around him like he wasn't even there and Perquis looked like he was 50 years old trying to recover.

I would also say the fourth goal, where he's positioning himself as though he's going to force Morales to the outside but gave him so much space all he really did was screen Irwin wasn't much better.

This is not meant to be a pile on, just my perspective of how I saw those goals.
    Last edited by spark; 05-16-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't it Beit who went down for some reason giving Mannah a clear path on net for the 3rd goal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ From what I'm seeing on the replay, Beit was covering Hurtado and tracked him into the middle of the pitch. Manneh was already behind him and Perquis was marking him then backed off to slide back into position. The ball got to Hurtado and he laid it off to Morales (I think) then he slipped it ahead to Manneh. At this point Beit had been marking Hurtado and was coming back to help out. So it was Perquis up against Manneh first and Manneh literally just walked around him to the inside, at this point Beit had gotten back and was the next player and just slid and Manneh just cut back outside and went around him. They both looked pretty lame on that play lol

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the 3rd goal.

Just so people feel better, here is Seba's goal and the pass from Perquis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very well could have been the way it went down... I rewatched the game yesterday and came away confused as to why Beit went down considering he had bradley very close to him in the direction they seamed to be funneling Mannah, just stay up and don't let him cut back and that gets dealt with pretty easily.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This was a weird one. We had brain farts from guys who've been solid all season on probably three of their goals. Hopefully, this was a glitch and we get back to our solid defence in the next match.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still fuming about this one. And having watched Portland v NYCFC, concerned about the Wednesday game now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    Still fuming about this one. And having watched Portland v NYCFC, concerned about the Wednesday game now.
    TFC will just have to respond strongly, 2-1 or 2-2 my thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spark View Post
    The first goal, from what I saw, Osorio was tracking back towards Perquis (facing him), and at about a 4yrd distance Perquis passes it ahead of him as though he was going forward into space - which was into the path of Manneh and into a gaping hole in the d-line. Johnson then proceeded to tear a strip off him. I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread but I haven't gone back yet.

The third goal might not have been on him but he was essentially a pylon. Maybe I'm missing it but that was essentially a 1v1 and Manney simply ran around him like he wasn't even there and Perquis looked like he was 50 years old trying to recover.

I would also say the fourth goal, where he's positioning himself as though he's going to force Morales to the outside but gave him so much space all he really did was screen Irwin wasn't much better.

This is not meant to be a pile on, just my perspective of how I saw those goals.
    SORRY. I read the quote wrong.I read Bradley ( do not ask me why) instead of Perguis, yes Perquis was clearly to blame for the first goal, and was a bit of a pylon on the second. That is why I posted that if anything I am worried about the right side of the back line, a little mistake prone.
    Last edited by trane; 05-16-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This was a weird one. We had brain farts from guys who've been solid all season on probably three of their goals. Hopefully, this was a glitch and we get back to our solid defence in the next match.
    In part it was the pressure put on them by Vancouver, but they got to adjust to that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every year people get fixated on a player and he became a scapegoat for all the problems of the team. People are fixated on Altidore.
    Not exactly a valid counterpoint. Yes, people get fixated on the players who are not pulling their weight. Does this mean we should revisit Marco Velez's contribution to the team because maybe we were unfair to him? I'd certainly hope not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Not exactly a valid counterpoint. Yes, people get fixated on the players who are not pulling their weight....
    The scapegoat thing is a fact, not a counterpoint. Every year somebody has to be the point of people's anger with this team. This season its Altidore. People in this city are just angry way too much about sports - they want freaking perfection.

Give up on perfection - it makes life easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That is one sicko piece of shit opinion.
    Aww you mad??? Maybe I'm just realistic and a career ending injury would be a blessing in disguise....the guy is getting paid 4.75 million a year to be a shite footballer....And we are still stuck with the waste of space for i believe 3 years....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The scapegoat thing is a fact, not a counterpoint. Every year somebody has to be the point of people's anger with this team. This season its Altidore. People in this city are just angry way too much about sports - they want freaking perfection.

Give up on perfection - it makes life easier.

Now I don't want to put words in your mouth here, but it appears that you're equating criticism of Altidore with an unachievable strive for perfect football. I'd call that a disingenuous attempt at shutting down discussion much like any attempt to brush aside criticism with "ah, that's just flavour of the month hating on player X".

Altidore did have a good game 9 days ago, but he's been less than DP stellar so far; that much is at least fair to say.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vortexdr View Post
    Aww you mad??? Maybe I'm just realistic and a career ending injury would be a blessing in disguise....the guy is getting paid 4.75 million a year to be a shite footballer....And we are still stuck with the waste of space for i believe 3 years....
    Dude, I've been dealing with internet trolls for over 30 years now. You've done nothing I haven't heard before. You've said nothing I havn't called a sicko piece of shit opinion before. Once read a guy who said the same thing about Wendell Clark. Said the same thing to him too, and I'm not even a Leaf's fan.

Wanting a human being injured for the sake of a game? Get a life.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Now I don't want to put words in your mouth here, but it appears that you're equating criticism of Altidore with an unachievable strive for perfect football. I'd call that a disingenuous attempt at shutting down discussion much like any attempt to brush aside criticism with "ah, that's just flavour of the month hating on player X".

Altidore did have a good game 9 days ago, but he's been less than DP stellar so far; that much is at least fair to say.

Nah, what I'm saying is a lot of people seem to want everybody on the team to be perfect and if they don't have that perfect, they complain. After every loss or bad tie, out comes complaints. Somebody is the focus and there the blame goes. That's the scapegoat thing.

Now, if Altidore was playing crap every game, sure call him crap. But he wasn't. People disagree. And heck, we've all seen players playing poorly week in and week out on past teams. We know what that is like.

But, for some reason, some people in Toronto need some focus on an individual. It happens. Its not shutting down discussion. Its just human nature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what if people complain? That's part of sports, especially when you sport a historically losing team. The fact remains that we're getting Will Bruin levels of output from a guy on 30x the money. I wouldn't hold it against anyone for speaking out on that, nor should we brush it aside as scapegoating. To be fair our three attacking mids in Osorio, Delgado and Endoh have been below par for the league, but that's just part of having a salary cap is all about. Altidore is getting criticism for the opportunity loss, much like Kentari last year as we were leaking goals all over the place and he was the $350k albatross.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ My point is, and stays, Altidore's play good or bad had little to do with our loss on Saturday, the play of our back line and was the issue, and yet some concentrate of Altidore, that is looking too someone to blame.

Do not get me wrong, yes I started props to Alticore thread, because I think he has been playing well, but no player is sacred to me, not even Giovinco, but I do not rate player on how much they get paid but on what they do on the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ My point is, and stays, Altidore's play good or bad had little to do with our loss on Saturday, the play of our back line and was the issue, and yet some concentrate of Altidore, that is looking too someone to blame.

Do not get me wrong, yes I started props to Alticore thread, because I think he has been playing well, but no player is sacred to me, not even Giovinco, but I do not rate player on how much they get paid but on what they do on the pitch.
    But we play on a team in a distorted market and don't have the luxury of analyzing his impact in a vacuum. Yes defense is still an issue. Perquis is good in the air but is slow and gets into foul trouble. It's not beyond conceivable that because of the roster rules in this league we have to make sacrifices and get value for money spent. That's where Altidore becomes a lightning rod and this latest injury makes matters worse.