0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please say that Vic Rauter is next

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciated his pessimism towards Canadian soccer. Master of the commentator's jinx against the home audience he was.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will be with us until Sept 10th it seems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give the guy his due. He was one of the first and most vocal supporters of Canadian soccer in the mainstream media, and if people are getting tired of him it might just be because of overexposure.

But he certainly deserves a lot of credit for his work in the early days.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, annoyances and jinxing etc aside, I take note of him for commitment to the cause back then and just longevity. Dare I say something very Canadian/footy about him overall? :-S

What's with the timing of the announcement tho? couldn't wait til end of the week? heh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dobson had sway. He pushed and pushed and pushed for Canadian soccer content and there was no one more influential in this county from a soccer media standpoint.

Also, I may be in the minority but I loved his broadcasts with Forrest in the booth.

I'll never forget when we brought these to the Champions League quarters. Dobson loved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope James Sharman gets the host gig.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I was so confused for a minute - maybe sometimes I get the names Gerry Dobson and Gerry Dee mixed up
    Last edited by eustacchio; 05-02-2016 at 09:21 PM.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    He or Brendan Dunlop would both be excellent.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James would be a great choice to take Gerry's chair in the studio, Brendan has good experience too. I know KJ is at TSN, but would love to see him and James United. Have good memories of their days at The Score, when footy did not have much a presence on the other two.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFizik View Post

What's with the timing of the announcement tho? couldn't wait til end of the week? heh
    Unfortunately foreshadowing the final days of Soccer being broadcast on Sportsnet

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djcuse View Post
    Unfortunately foreshadowing the final days of Soccer being broadcast on Sportsnet
    Dam, is the Premier League package, at least a part of it up for grabs, would feel for many if that's the case, guess this hockey investment really have some casualties.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Dam, is the Premier League package, at least a part of it up for grabs, would feel for many if that's the case, guess this hockey investment really have some casualties.
    I can see TSN making a push for it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question of replacement is is more who gets the role of play by play person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that happens, then Sportsnet World is done as well.

TSN already got UEFA rights, so it make sense for TSN to go after EPL to beef up their content since Rogers/Sportsnet are now #1 sports station based on TV ratings.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Give the guy his due. He was one of the first and most vocal supporters of Canadian soccer in the mainstream media, and if people are getting tired of him it might just be because of overexposure.

But he certainly deserves a lot of credit for his work in the early days.
    I'm with you. First time I met him and Forrest was after Radzinski's last game in Edmonton drawing against Mexico. He was very up front from the start that this wasn't his game and he adopted it. As above, the cynicism is fresh in our minds but he's been watching the more-downs-than-ups team all this time along with us.

I wish him luck and thank him for the job he's done.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Dobson had sway. He pushed and pushed and pushed for Canadian soccer content and there was no one more influential in this county from a soccer media standpoint.

Also, I may be in the minority but I loved his broadcasts with Forrest in the booth.

I'll never forget when we brought these to the Champions League quarters. Dobson loved it.

The back story behind how these got made is priceless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do salute him for his efforts and wish him well. I was never a fan of his game calling skills, but we must always remember that soccer in this country, especially soccer in the media in this country, has been a story of pushing a boulder up a hill and he did his part.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is actually one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I know he has had his moments over the years where we poke fun at him but the guy is total class. I wish him the best!
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we should start a Twitter Campaign for you to host.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My funny memory of Gerry will always be of post game MLS cup in DC back in 2007 we were all leaving together (about 50 of us made it) and someone spotted Gerry running down a road and we all cheered him on. Gerry acknowledged us right away, was clapping towards us and nearly wiped out in his fancy shoes, hair flapping in the breeze. Like him or not he was a strong advocate for footie here and we need more of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind Gerry as a game day host you know the sort of thing he does on your regular EPL game day telecast, however, I have never liked him as a play by play guy, but he tried. He was never a soccer guy before he started working soccer telecasts but you can see he has become a huge fan so you can't fault a guy who came to the game having no previous knowledge about it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James would be a great choice to take Gerry's chair in the studio, Brendan has good experience too. I know KJ is at TSN, but would love to see him and James United. Have good memories of their days at The Score, when footy did not have much a presence on the other two.
    I remember those 2 sitting in the mismatched easy chair that looked like they were shooting from the lobby. Could only afford highlights from Serie A and La Liga then when that was less televised.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm probably in the minority but I always loved Gerry Dobson for play by play, but given the number of TSN games in recent years, I never get to hear too many TFC games being called by him anymore.

As an aside, anyone else think Jason de Vos is complete garbage for colour commentary? He seems to always see the exact opposite of what my friends and I see on a play. Hard to believe he was a pro. Craig Forrest on the other hand, I will fight anyone who talks smack about him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A nice guy who's done a good job over the years.

Had the pleasure of working around him on several occasions and found him to be a friendly, ego-free pro who worked hard at his craft. Coming from CFTO, he did very well adapting to the game considering that station's lack of soccer awareness back then. Mostly been a studio-based broadcaster and best directing conversation and comments from on-air colleagues in a structured, scripted set up. His short, slight build contrasts dramatically with much taller colleagues like Forrest or Dichio and the subject of many wisecracks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Rogers.....we all know they are going to give it to Nick Dasovic!!