Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they won't hold a viewing at their bar during another teams meaningful game idk how or why they expect another to do so, especially when they are not going to a known supporters bar.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    If they won't hold a viewing at their bar during another teams meaningful game idk how or why they expect another to do so, especially when they are not going to a known supporters bar.
    Don't you think they would have discussed this with the pub management beforehand? Amazing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day, my personal view is very split. Yes, It'd be cool to have the entire city rally behind this team, but then I also enjoy TFC targeting a niche audience. I see familiar faces at BMO and know that most people are like minded individuals. I shudder to think of a time where some of the "day-one" fans can't get into the stadium because someone who wants to watch the game through snapchat has taken their seat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is crazy about Local....question is did the owners set this up and then the manager just messed it up because he is a "soccer hater" or did the owners them self just mess the whole thing up??? Maybe we should just avoid this place as much as possible. ( another 1 of our so called boycott's?? )

There is other bars now tho, you don't need to go to Local, still got Brazen Head, The Craft, Williams Landing and Shoeless Joe's all within a short walk of BMO field. ( I don't really like shoeless Joe's and it is the furthest of mentioned from the GO train but that location has always been good to TFC supporters).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    ... I shudder to think of a time where some of the "day-one" fans can't get into the stadium because someone who wants to watch the game through snapchat has taken their seat.

Just a note - snapchat as used by teams is a marketing tool about the game day experience and encouraging people to be involved - its actually very good at that communal thing.

But, people don't snapchat a whole game. Periscope a whole game from their seat? Maybe but what's the point in being a camera person when you can just put the phone away and bounce. But def not snapchat - most people use that to show off themselves and what they are doing. When at a game, your focus is on others. And, unless somebody knows you well, or you are an MLS celeb like Rachel Bonnetta, after about 14 seconds, nobody really cares that you are at a game watching.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    I shudder to think of a time where some of the "day-one" fans can't get into the stadium because someone who wants to watch the game through snapchat has taken their seat.
    Over the last 10 years a "Day One Fan" would have had plenty opportunities to buy seats and then relocate to even cheaper season tickets. I have no problem with tourists. TFC won't sell out every game, but the more spectators, the merrier.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    I don't think it's insecurities because they seem pretty arrogant about soccer but the traditional radio guys honestly have no fucking clue how to talk about it. They can't carry a conversation about it.
    That made me laugh. Years ago, Argos voice Mike Hogan was employed on the Fan 590 and had a morning show. He confessed one morning that he was not a basketball guy and really didn't feel comfortable talking about the sport. Then the Raptors got hot, the station carried their games and chatted about them frequently and, waddya know, Hogan was talkin' hoops with an ease and comfort like he'd grown up ballin' at Oakwood.

They'll talk what they have to talk when there's a paycheck on the line. Progress has been made and you can see and hear a change regarding TFC, but it won't become a more easily referenced subject until they put out a winning team regularly. Then, we'll see some changes.

The worst thing about TFC on air - listening to Screamin'! Dan! Dunleeeavvvvyyyyy! call games on radio. Martin Tyler he ain't. Like ever. Buffalo looks a good fit for him.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 04-27-2016 at 03:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Don't you think they would have discussed this with the pub management beforehand? Amazing...
    Oh i'm sure a discussion would have taken place but having been involved in setting up a tfc pub crawl I know they are not formal discussions. For the traditional TFC bars it pretty easy as they know the $$$ that showing TFC can bring in but for a place that isn't a traditional TFC bar they probably will want to get a more formal contract done up next time.

My point was it can be very hard if not impossible to get TFC on a real sports if another event is taking place, hard for them to fully expect another bar to switch over.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Local is the next in the line of pubs in the West End that don't appreciate regulars that come from their local sports stadium.

They aren't the first but they, The Local, are NEXT LEVEL STUPID to refuse to put a game on when the team goes out of their way to stage an event at the bar.

Last weekends game split the bar and it was pretty uneventful because the Raps did so poor but this upcoming weekend (If necessary) just remember that it's a big deal.

So like last weekend, when guys sit on our side of the pub and take off their jackets to reveal Raptors shirts KINDLY let them know that the "this side will have the TFC game on the big screens - just so they know..." and let them decide whether they want to move or not.

There was no agro last time. Let's keep it going during this busy Toronto Sports phase.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The Local is the next in the line of pubs in the West End that don't appreciate regulars that come from their local sports stadium.

They aren't the first but they, The Local, are NEXT LEVEL STUPID to refuse to put a game on when the team goes out of their way to stage an event at the bar.

Last weekends game split the bar and it was pretty uneventful because the Raps did so poor but this upcoming weekend (If necessary) just remember that it's a big deal.

So like last weekend, when guys sit on our side of the pub and take off their jackets to reveal Raptors shirts KINDLY let them know that the "this side will have the TFC game on the big screens - just so they know..." and let them decide whether they want to move or not.

There was no agro last time. Let's keep it going during this busy Toronto Sports phase.
    I will never be a bigger raps fan than i will be friday night lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    What really annoys me is when the news will discuss the jays, raptors, and leafs for 5-10 minutes going into deep analysis and then lastly..." oh, in other news, TFC won 2-0 last night" (shows a 5 second video highlight) and ends abruptly with " Now lets take a look at the weather forecast."
    It's especially concerning considering that the parent companies of TSN and Sportsnet are majority shareholders of MLSE, and consequently, TFC. You would think that both media outlets would be increasing their coverage of TFC, but it's been business as usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at the Local for the game on Saturday.

Once the TFC game started it was on the majority of tvs. The kept the Raptors game on some of the tvs. I was sitting at the bar and people were asking the barstaff to switch the TVs back but they all said that TFC had sponsored the bar for the game and it had to be on.
    Caldwell and Dichio weren't there handing out anything - that I saw anyway. Chapman, Bloom, Hamilton and Simonin were there. Chapman did the prize draw and gave out prizes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post

Once the TFC game started it was on the majority of tvs. The kept the Raptors game on some of the tvs. I was sitting at the bar and people were asking the barstaff to switch the TVs back but they all said that TFC had sponsored the bar for the game and it had to be on.
    Caldwell and Dichio weren't there handing out anything - that I saw anyway. Chapman, Bloom, Hamilton and Simonin were there. Chapman did the prize draw and gave out prizes.
    The one at Bishop & Belcher ran smoothly (it seemed) with Caldwell and Zavaleta there handing out prizes.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that is a very different and more reasonable take on Sat at the Local. Thanks for sharing.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright that sounds completely different to the original story............It sounds like Local did respect the TFC fans in this story. I wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea then about Local considering it is probably technically the closest bar to BMO field (even tho there is other bars ever so close to Local as well) but I wouldn't want a bar to get blamed for not liking TFC fans when or if they did actually play the game for TFC fans!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am betting Kurt would have muscle to get TFC on the front page of the sun with deep runs in the playoffs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my gosh I may swoon.

CBC morning radio mentioned TFC for the first time, and it wasn't condescending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oh my gosh I may swoon.

CBC morning radio mentioned TFC for the first time, and it wasn't condescending.
    Was it on purpose?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually one of boys was at the local and though a few tvs were on TFC, they refused to switch the sound.

They left and went to joes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Alright that sounds completely different to the original story............It sounds like Local did respect the TFC fans in this story. I wouldn't want people to get the wrong idea then about Local considering it is probably technically the closest bar to BMO field (even tho there is other bars ever so close to Local as well) but I wouldn't want a bar to get blamed for not liking TFC fans when or if they did actually play the game for TFC fans!
    Interesting, because what I heard from a fellow board member matches the first story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is crazy about Local....question is did the owners set this up and then the manager just messed it up because he is a "soccer hater" or did the owners them self just mess the whole thing up??? Maybe we should just avoid this place as much as possible. ( another 1 of our so called boycott's?? )

There is other bars now tho, you don't need to go to Local, still got Brazen Head, The Craft, Williams Landing and Shoeless Joe's all within a short walk of BMO field. ( I don't really like shoeless Joe's and it is the furthest of mentioned from the GO train but that location has always been good to TFC supporters).
    joes is fantastic pre and post game, and for away games. Plus Joe supports the RPB strongly, we should support him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my gosh I may swoon.

matt Galloway was a season ticket holder in the south end. I think he gave up after Nelsens first year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep please stick to these bars lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you guys can go where ever you want, but F Local.

I showed up with my 1 year at lunch, they looked at me like I was a nuisance for bringing a child. Kept seating others before us, after 25 minutes we left.

Next week, I hear a lady fuming at the coffee shop nearby, complaining how local wouldn't seat her because she had a stroller.

I'll take my money else where, no need to give those pretentious asshats my business

I prefer to "pre" eat at island foods anyways

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my gosh I may swoon.

I believe Matt Galloway the Host of Metro Morning is a Seasons Ticket Holder. and a big Supporter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC has there supporters, we can sell 15k-25k, even 50k for a game at the sky dome. Our attendance at games is good, but our TV ratings are low compared to other sports. MLS is still a a niche market. It has grown hugely over the years to where MLS once was, it has some teams that have fantastic support and good attendances, but still we are more of a niche market. Even tho Soccer is widely played, it is much smaller scale of those who support a soccer club team, and even smaller a MLS club (Many people in the GTA and I assume across North America like Soccer, but only actually watch Euros/World Cups, or leagues like Premiership or Champions League.

I have worked at a few different places over the years since 2007, I have worked with a bunch of guys who only knew stuff about Baseball, Hockey, and Football (Or Raptors if they were doing well), soccer tho was never mentioned and looked at as a girls sport. They had no clue about any leagues or even knew about Toronto FC. I have worked with guys who like Soccer but only really know anything about big Euro Clubs, they didn't really take the time of day to give Toronto FC a chance. And I have worked with a few guys who take Toronto FC very serious and attend many games. As a whole tho, its shocking how little many people know about Toronto FC or MLS even tho I see tens of thousands on game day and the fact that it may not be as represented in the News Paper as Leafs and Jays, but still they are in there and even on front page from time to time, how do they not notice???. Over the years I have learned tho that who cares, sure I would like to see the league grow, but it's not the biggest deal if its not as popular as Baseball or Hockey in this city. In some ways I like it better that we are a more niche market, we all know we have the best atmosphere in this city, I have a blast at home games and fantastic away journeys (no other fans in this city have away sections exc. like TFC do). Its kind of cool when you know we are having a party and we don't need the whole city to know it!
    I agree with all of this. Soccer in this city is a niche market, most locals will have a passing interest in the Jays or Leafs but not TFC. When TFC qualified for the play-offs last season for the first time in their history, the next day when I mentioned it at the office, all I was met with was blank stares, whereas when the Jays qualified, everyone was going nuts.

Plus there is the problem of younger kids who can easily watch live games from the big Euro leagues . I worked in Sportchek for a few months back in 2014 and lots of kids would come in looking for soccer gear. I would ask them who their favourite teams were and 90% would not answer TFC, it was always Real Madrid, Liverpool etc. When I asked if they liked TFC, alot would answer "no man, they suck".

I think winning will help a bit but I doubt soccer will ever have the same popularity in the city as hockey or baseball or even basketball.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuelphStorm2007 View Post
    I believe Matt Galloway the Host of Metro Morning is a Seasons Ticket Holder. and a big Supporter.
    Not anymore.

Whenever TFC is mentioned, which isn't often, he and the sports guy go with the "oh here we go again" narrative - its more frustrating then puckheads running the game itself down cause those two know the game well enough to know that not every game or season can be a win. There is no analysis beyond "Ugh, they didn't do well." or "Well we've seen this before."

Like many, they have given up on TFC due to what happened with Winter Mariner and Nelsen and and then the Bloody Big deal made them even more cynical and jaded. I don't expect sports journalists to be uncritical. I would appreciate a mention occasionally because it is still a major sports team in this city.

I admit today was different. Improved defence got mentionned. And I suspect the home opener will get a word or two.

If we lose this week and then lose to Dallas, I would fully expect TFC to not get mentioned again until October.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it funny at times that main stream media gets all excited at 50 jays or raps fans going to Det but TFC routinely sending hundreds or thousands to mtl gets nothing.

We will probably have 100+ in chicago later this year and it will be nothing.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    I find it funny at times that main stream media gets all excited at 50 jays or raps fans going to Det but TFC routinely sending hundreds or thousands to mtl gets nothing.
    Lol and realize it's the Raptors Front Office organizing a bus, filming all of the trip and then putting you in a commercial for it lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny thing We are seeing TFC improving slowly, This maybe the best run of road games they played in there history yet very little mention of it in tw media but with the Jays ( I just find Baseball fucking Boring as hell) and the Raptors grabbing all the media attention it will be hard. If TFC continue winning and the Jays continue there slide it will interesting to see what the main stream media will say.