Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outcoached again? I disagree. If Vanney was in the same position, he would have been smart enough to go 5 at the back knowing the other team was going to launch balls into the box. Not only did Will have enough space to hit that but Seba could have teed that up that as well. Even though Ousted missed the ball, we had a numbers advantage in the box in the fifth minute of stoppage time during a championship final.

Robinson's risky game management lost them the cup.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 06-30-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That final play wasn't about coaching. It was about Ousted having a total brain cramp - he needs to punch that ball. That, and the soccer gods really wanted to kick the Whitecaps in the nuts.

We did not play well. Vanney was 30 seconds away from having these boards go thermonuclear.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    That final play wasn't about coaching. It was about Ousted having a total brain cramp - he needs to punch that ball. That, and the soccer gods really wanted to kick the Whitecaps in the nuts.

We did not play well. Vanney was 30 seconds away from having these boards go thermonuclear.
    Vanney certainly didn't win that game for us, but in fairness to him, we were missing several key starters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Robinson hadn't wanted to chase that 3rd goal, he could have crowded the box enough to at least clear it when the ball dropped or put in a block for the shot. This is us in stoppage time during the Montreal game. That's 8 players behind the ball, no space for the opposition and in defensive shape.

For all Robinson's ability as a coach, he's not as flexible tactically as Vanney.
    Last edited by PopePouri; 06-30-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

every game has ifs and buts,if we put away our chances at home we could of won 3 nil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Other teams and fan bases would kill to have the number of high end DP's we have (Altidore is debatable given the injury history). The side effect of so many high end DP's is it effects our depth. If you want an energized and passionate fanbase, which having good DP's helps provide, then there will be performance consequences when they're not playing for NT duties. Would you guys prefer an FC Dallas or Timbers roster? That's what I thought.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    Other teams and fan bases would kill to have the number of high end DP's we have (Altidore is debatable given the injury history). The side effect of so many high end DP's is it effects our depth. If you want an energized and passionate fanbase, which having good DP's helps provide, then there will be performance consequences when they're not playing for NT duties. Would you guys prefer an FC Dallas or Timbers roster? That's what I thought.
    I actually prefer to build the roster FC Dallas way. They are helluva fun to watch and they put up results.

TFC is trying to do the youth movement thing Dallas is doing, but Dallas is probably best at producing youth talent in MLS.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This wasn't Robinson's fault. It was a brain fart between the team one extra guy in the box likely wouldn't have made a difference in that play. As you had a defender and keeper both getting in each others way and Johnson being right there. Seba wouln't have got to it before the defender who were there regrouped to make a shot tough.. It was a serious error by the players not the coach.

Robinson knew the weakness of Vanney's squad... (that they can't score consistently at the best of times and protect leads when ever possible) Vanney had a lead going in.. didn't push for the away goal hard enough in the first half, as such once the first goal came it was going to be harder to get one. When the second goal came we were in trouble. It took a brain fart on Vancouver's part.

What happened in Vancouver shows everything wrong with Vanney. He tries to get a lead and protect it.. instead of trying bury the game... likely because he doesn't have the pieces he needs because of poor team building from he and Bez. You can't Blame Manning because I highly doubt he is "Moing" it up. Manning says win.. do it with a low goals against.. and a good staff would say.. but that will result in less offensive play, we can bring in a few defensive pieces to make the defense stronger and keep the differential right without giving up all the attacking pieces.

If Vanney and Bez did get a directive (which has been a defence of them on here in the past) to have a low goals against this year.. it is there fault for not making a good case about how to win. They also didn't do enough to provide good service causing both attacking DPs to under perform and leashing the third DP to a solely defensive role.

We could have Chad Barrett and actually be more offensively dangerous than we are with Jozy on the pitch with the people around him without sacrificing any goals.

This game was just another show of the failings of Vanney we have been seeing since Portland at the beginning of May.

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    If Robinson hadn't wanted to chase that 3rd goal, he could have crowded the box enough to at least clear it when the ball dropped or put in a block for the shot. This is us in stoppage time during the Montreal game. That's 8 players behind the ball, no space for the opposition and in defensive shape.

For all Robinson's ability as a coach, he's not as flexible tactically as Vanney.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are actually showing stills of guys packing the box in extra time to demonstrate "flexibility"?

Outcomes aren't the same as probabilities. Vancouver had that Endoh ball handled, they were undone by a massive gaffe. What TFC did was cash a lottery ticket - we were 99.9% dead there, everyone here knows it.

None of that is about Vanney or Robinson.

Over the two games, Vancouver had the majority of better play, and organization. We edged them, it feels good. But it wasn't about us outcoaching them, in any way.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ronaldo said the same thing about Iceland yet there they went and beat England, reaching the final 8. People criticized Chelsea for years for using the same park the bus and hit them with the counter technique yet there they went and won Championship after Championship. It works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we were fully in control until Vancouver scored. Did they even have a shot on target in the first half? It was playing out a lot like the away game in Montreal, and I don't remember and criticism of Vanney from that game.

It doesn't make much sense to take an offensive approach in a game where you have the lead and your 2nd best finisher is your DM (Johnson).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    I thought we were fully in control until Vancouver scored. Did they even have a shot on target in the first half? It was playing out a lot like the away game in Montreal, and I don't remember and criticism of Vanney from that game.

It doesn't make much sense to take an offensive approach in a game where you have the lead and your 2nd best finisher is your DM (Johnson).
    "Fully in control?" Listen, to each his own, but I thought we were just standing around playing Mariner football, parking the bus, and then when we needed to attack, we couldn't get anything going (until Edwards came on late, which was interesting, let's see more of him please).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Fully in control?" Listen, to each his own, but I thought we were just standing around playing Mariner football, parking the bus, and then when we needed to attack, we couldn't get anything going (until Edwards came on late, which was interesting, let's see more of him please).
    We had a good amount of possession. Not in dangerous areas, but it least it kept Vancouver from creating anything. Hard to get much going with only 2 attacking players on the pitch and a CB playing at RB.

Vanney could have started Endoh or Edwards instead of Delgado for more attacking punch, but then there would be no one to provide cover for Hagglund. I think it's hard to fault him for going with the same tactics that worked so well away to Montreal.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if I'd say "flexible" as much as "astute." It's clear that Robinson's plan wasn't suited for keeping their lead. It's not that Vanney won the game through some sort of genius tactics as much as Robbo lost it through flawed tactics.

OTOH full credit to Vanney for man-management. Having a team that fights literally to the very last second is something every coach wants but it takes good motivational skills to achieve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don't know if I'd say "flexible" as much as "astute." It's clear that Robinson's plan wasn't suited for keeping their lead. It's not that Vanney won the game through some sort of genius tactics as much as Robbo lost it through flawed tactics.

OTOH full credit to Vanney for man-management. Having a team that fights literally to the very last second is something every coach wants but it takes good motivational skills to achieve.
    I'm definitely not saying Vanney's a genius, just that he's more flexible tactically and able to adjust to game states better. I think Robbo played a 4-2-3-1 the entire match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. It's one play. Pinning it on Robinson is micro analysis.

Not a lot generated prior to that ball going in the net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire Vanney,bring in experienced MLS Coach fuuuccckin Plleeease!!!!!!!

Currently has worse record than last year and is losing Seba's interest in the team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smtavare View Post
    Fire Vanney,bring in experienced MLS Coach fuuuccckin Plleeease!!!!!!!

Currently has worse record than last year and is losing Seba's interest in the team
    Fire Vanney because Giovinco can't bury a sitter?

the 3-5-2 Vanney trotted out created enough chances to win. Lack of finishing... how's that a coach's fault?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, Seba buries his chances and TFC are 2-0 at the half.

Fuck off with the Fire Vanney stuff tonight. He gave the kids a shot, set them up to succeed, they played some awesome stuff and Seba flubbed his lines.

It is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the coach's record dumbasses, everyone has the right to their opinions.

I will not be like the other plastic hipster cheerleaders, that's my opinion and I am entitled to one.

You can disagree but don't tell me to fuck off douchebag

The stats are there to back my opinions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you quite clearly know your stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney is doing a decent job, they just need to get through this stretch with all these injuries. Letting the youth play is the best way to develop the squad. I am only going to worry if they drop points to Chicago next week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah vanney did the best he could with the roster he had available, give it a rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was funny that someone chose to bring a #Vanny Out sign 3 days after we won the Voyageurs Cup and qualified for the CCL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Vanney is so great, why does this thread even exist.

I will forgo ever expressing my opinion here anymore as this is nothing but a plastic cheerleader forum

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Vanney's starting lineup and tactics against Seattle were decent, considering the crazy amount of absences.

However his subs weren't nearly as good as they could have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will forgo ever expressing my opinion here anymore as this is nothing but a plastic cheerleader forum

These are the takes that make this forum so great.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And with this kind of callout no one will beg you to express an opinion. When you make wild generalizations and characterize everyone the same way no wonder your response is extreme.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will not be like the other plastic hipster cheerleaders, that's my opinion and I am entitled to one.

Stats can be cherrypicked.

That tie, with basically the B team + Beitashour and Seba, is disappointing because we should have won.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Yea, Seba buries his chances and TFC are 2-0 at the half.

Fuck off with the Fire Vanney stuff tonight. He gave the kids a shot, set them up to succeed, they played some awesome stuff and Seba flubbed his lines.

It is what it is.

Both of you can cut the name calling out and stick to the debate topic.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER