Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1905
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Sacking a coach isn’t going to get their form back in shape. Form comes and goes regardless who is on the touch line.
    Tell that to New England. I don’t think a new coach would be tactically revolutionary, more about motivation. I’m not sure Vanney still has the ear of his players.

Outside of that, I’m under the impression the team still has issues. We shouln’t pretend it’s a 100% Vanney issue but it’s natural to look at the coach or GM when things go this poorly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'm still convinced that these players are good enough. Bradley, Morrow, Westberg, Bono, Auro, Delgado, Oso, Pozuelo, Jozy, Mavinga, Moor, Gonzalez, Chapman, Laryea, Fraser, Endoh, DeLeon, Morgan, Shaffelburg, Akinola and maybe the new TAM guys. I believe in all of them (even if I think the club can do better for its money at times). I've not lost faith in those players ability to do the job. That's around 20 players I think are good enough and when I believe that strongly in the players it has to be the manager.
    While I have my suspicions about some of the players, I agree. We have a relatively good squad that is underperforming (value for money notwithstanding). When that happens, typically the coach gets the boot.

Whether or not Vanney got the players he wanted, a coach has to work with what they have. They play hot and cold, make too many mistakes, frustrate on offense, etc.

Something has to change, because it’s not good enough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Tell that to New England. I don’t think a new coach would be tactically revolutionary, more about motivation. I’m not sure Vanney still has the ear of his players.

Outside of that, I’m under the impression the team still has issues. We shouln’t pretend it’s a 100% Vanney issue but it’s natural to look at the coach or GM when things go this poorly
    Also to Seattle who sacked their legendary coach Sigi Schmidt (roughly the same point in the season TFC currently is at) and completely turned around their season in 2016.

A breath of fresh air might be exactly what the doctor ordered before it's too late. This final stretch is reminiscent of last year when none of these games were considered "must win games" until it was too late.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be time for a change. Sometimes it is. But I think a mob mentality is obscuring an obvious point.

Vanney not playing the new guys (especially Gallardo, who has been here for weeks) is extremely meaningful, but...

I think everyone is rushing to judgment about just what it means, and which thread that criticism belongs in. I have deep suspicions that this means Gallardo may just suck, or has an attitude problem, or just is somehow otherwise not able to adjust here or understand instructions... something else along these lines.

I have a lot of respect for Vanney who has a big body of work now. What has Curtis ever done?

I think Gallardo not playing is a sign of a bigger problem.
    Last edited by ensco; 08-11-2019 at 05:54 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Tell that to New England. ...
    NER went from somebody worse in attitude & tactics then Paul Mariner to the closest equivalent this league has to Bobby Robson.

Its funny if he doesn't have the ear because after the game every single player is saying the same thing Vanney is saying about energy being flat & the effort not being good enough - they are not just parroting the company line.

I think he still has the team.

But these guys are as a unit playing uptight & worried on the pitch.

The post game mantra's are all about attitude & energy - something is getting in the way of a bunch of professionals as a unit putting in a full 90.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It may be time for a change. Sometimes it is. But I think a mob mentality is obscuring an obvious point.

Vanney not playing the new guys (especially Gallardo, who has been here for weeks) is extremely meaningful, but...

I think everyone is rushing to judgment about just what it means, and which thread that criticism belongs in. I have deep suspicions that this means Gallardo may just suck, or has an attitude problem, or just is somehow otherwise not able to adjust here or understand instructions... something else along these lines.

I have a lot of respect for Vanney who has a big body of work now. What has Curtis ever done?

Obviously without being absolutely certain, this seemed glaring to me; if we get Messi in, Vanney's not going to have him sit out and be eased in, to see how we do things, no matter his condition (save for a serious injury).

I know he sustained an injury in training, Gallardo, but he played in the CanChamp game, so he has minutes in him… not to mention it's not been much different with Benezet. I think Vanney's happy to have some tools, at all, to work with, as compared to before, but this, for me, is surely an indictment of the quality he's been provided (or not).

Really wanted Curtis to work out, when he come in, and still hold out hope… but, I'm sorry, after the January transfer window's mantra of getting the right fit and the rest of it, the signings we've been made to wait for have been underwhelming and are not without a few question-marks over them; screams that they prior failed in getting deals over the line, but won't ever concede as much.

I don't know… it just feels like they act as though there are only three or four players available anywhere, the way things dragged with most of their targets, which is inconsistent with the way they talk up this list of well vetted/scouted players they supposedly have.

To be clear, I think these players could turn out to be decent, but hardly worth a fluffed transfer window, and the potential points dropped for being short said players, before a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Its funny if he doesn't have the ear because after the game every single player is saying the same thing Vanney is saying about energy being flat & the effort not being good enough - they are not just parroting the company line.

Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but we do not have the results, and we keep on dropping point due to our defensive mistakes. He has a talented squas. He needs to get it right with what he has or he has to go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see much "mob mentality" here. I see lots of people frustrated and searching for answers. I get no joy from thinking #VanneyOut, even though it may happen. As I already said last night, I'm not confident that Curtis / Manning would find a good coach in a reasonable amount of time. And I'm worried about the resulting player turnover, and more random / delayed signings.

If an expensive / much-hyped TAM player is healthy, but not good enough, then I think Vanney needs to show everyone by playing him, at least for significant portions of a game. Vanney often fields players who are not very good at the position he plays them: sometimes out of necessity, sometimes out of some strange reasoning that nobody has reliably explained (and no journalist has asked). And it's not like we're getting great results overall, which would be suddenly jeopardized by fielding a new player. So I don't know why Vanney should suddenly get skittish like that about a TAM player, especially for a full 90 minutes.

I also don't place much trust in Curtis. I also have lots of respect for Vanney. But we're now 3/4 through 2019. If I look at his total body of work, I have to admit it's mixed. A couple of very good seasons. And a couple of crappy seasons. (Both of those for many reasons; not just Vanney.)

I'm not rushing to judgement. But I'm starting to get sick of guessing and wondering about many things.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 08-11-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I don't see much "mob mentality" here. I see lots of people frustrated and searching for answers. I get no joy from thinking #VanneyOut, even though it may happen. As I already said last night, I'm not confident that Curtis / Manning would find a good coach in a reasonable amount of time. And I'm worried about the resulting player turnover, and more random / delayed signings.

If an expensive / much-hyped TAM player is healthy, but not good enough, then I think Vanney needs to show everyone by playing him, at least for significant portions of a game. Vanney often fields players who are not very good at the position he plays them: sometimes out of necessity, sometimes out of some strange reasoning that nobody has reliably explained (and no journalist has asked). And it's not like we're getting great results overall, which would be suddenly jeopardized by fielding a new player. So I don't know why Vanney should suddenly get skittish like that about a TAM player, especially for a full 90 minutes.

I also don't place much trust in Curtis. I also have lots of respect for Vanney. But we're now 3/4 through 2019. If I look at his total body of work, I have to admit it's mixed. A couple of very good seasons. And a couple of crappy seasons. (Both of those for many reasons; not just Vanney.)

I'm not rushing to judgement. But I'm starting to get sick of guessing and wondering about many things.
    since the MN game TFC is 19pts in 19 games. 1ppg record for the last 19 games
    i betya thats the worst record in the league over the last 19 games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    That's not even mixed. That's just extremely poor. Worse than I thought even.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll take that bet.

Cincinnati must be at like -36 ppg and the shit they call chili is literally shit. Toronto doesn’t even have its own chili and ours is still better than Cincinnati’s. Even if ours is vegan chili. Even if it’s made out of pine cones.

I win.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston have been worse than TFC.

Only 17 points from last 19 games, only 11 points from last 16 games.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    I’ll take that bet.

Cincinnati must be at like -36 ppg and the shit they call chili is literally shit. Toronto doesn’t even have its own chili and ours is still better than Cincinnati’s. Even if ours is vegan chili. Even if it’s made out of pine cones.

I win.
    Wow now you are comparing us Cincinnati.
    Boy have some of standards dropped as fans.
    Listen, this is not 2007 anymore. No new tfc fans care about how bad things for this team was back in prehistoric age.
    We went from the greatest team in MLS history 2 years ago to this.

#govegan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow now you are comparing us Cincinnati.
    Boy have some of standards dropped as fans.
    Listen, this is not 2007 anymore. No new tfc fans care about how bad things for this team was back in prehistoric age.
    We went from the greatest team in MLS history 2 years ago to this.

#govegan
    Do you actually read what you write? I found a team with worse ppg over the last 19. There are others.

What do I win, since we were betting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As is often the case, you and I are on the same page. This, to me, is the same GM clash Cutis had with Petke and Marsch, the same insistence the team could win players and rosters who were cheaper but undiscovered or raw.

I wonder how much his own career -- college player of the year but never a successful pro -- affects that attitude. I don't think this is a situation where someone is feeding players through the pipeline for what could be personal gain not the team's benefit, as may have been the case with us and a few other MLS clubs. But it may also have been that, willing or oblivious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So none of our reporters asked questions as to why our newest signings were on the bench?

Who is covering TFC anymore? It's like after we won the championship the media gave us a pat on the back and dumped us.

Minor Soccer League more like it in this city now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not, there are multiple teams with less than a point a game since then. MLSsoccer.com had a chart the other day. I believe we were something like seventeenth or eighteenth since then, so not good, but not the worst.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad to see there are actually some measured opinions in here.

Kudos for not following off the cliff.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone who thinks we would replace Vanney if he departs with a world class coach need to look at the quality of General Manager Manning hired. Then carefully think about what we'd really get.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If he has lost the locker room he will have to go. It will be interesting to see if there's a pattern that shows that being a consistent problem.
    He may have lost it because the team knows it can't win and instead of defending himself as not being given the right players (which the players themselves never want to hear, they all think they could play at Madrid with the right breaks) he has to motivate them to just be better.

I think Curtis is hosing him, ala Mo with John Carver, all over the guy's decisions and really forcing his hand to play guys who just aren't good enough.

Maybe he played Shaffelburg because he creates chances and Gallardo still hasnt' picked up the system or shown anything. Maybe it's that simple.

That would, again, go to Curtis' ability to assess talent.

But how does he convey that to the players? He can't. And since they know all he can say (try harder) is kinda bullshit, they tune out.

If you can't give your workers the right tools and you're they're manager, they blame you, not the big boss. That's why the big boss picks you, to take the heat. Unless you're an adept weasel who puts others between you and responsibility, which some are quite good at, the manager wears it.

Carver went back to England and was Newcastle's first team coach again for awhile after he left us. Must've been shit at it though, obviously, otherwise Newcastle's problems would've been owner/purchase related. And we know that never happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps a discipline one, primadonnas in the dressing room. Just happened with Browne in Montreal, he's gone back to Panama. Happened with Plata when he was here (although he may have been right, you still don't shit on your coach in front of the team).

They kept Mavinga despite his history of this when he was contrite about commenting on who left. Jozy has already publicly called out Manning, and who knows what he says in the locker room.

Maybe we just have too many egos, and it's reflected in their willingness to listen.

PErhaps replacing guys that had won for us with cheaper players from South America and Europe who may have had chips on their shoulder was not good. Let's not forget, even our DP went back on his public pledge to his old team and fans that he would re-up his contract, so there are mercenary dudes in there. There always are among competitors. Most also have the self-assurance to feel an authority, and that engenders conflict unless the person managing them is more fierce.

That's why you need a Ferguson, who can go as mental as them, to run a Man Utd. You can't give a man unilateral power if he never exercises it, because that means he didn't need it in the first place or wasn't ready for it. (He also had the Aberdeen legend to fall back on; anytime a star said 'you need me', he could say 'no, I beat Celtic and Rangers with a team of nobodies. Sit down you fucking nonce').

So, unless we change the players and GM, which probably ain't going to happen, he may have to go whether it's his fault or not. We may need a disciplinarian who also gets results.

And anytime a team goes for the best players, regardless of personality or ego, that will be the case.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-11-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^There is something about Pozo's body language that makes me think something like this is going on.

Pozo looks completely different the last few games, like a guy who is done fighting through it and has kind of throttled back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    PErhaps replacing guys that had won for us with cheaper players from South America and Europe who may have had chips on their shoulder was not good.
    Not to sound too ungrateful but what has the old group we won with looked like lately? We went from Delgado and Osorio killing themselves each week to looking relatively disinterested. Bradley from a man possessed to a relatively “meh” performance. Moor is old. Mavinga is scattered.

These guys needs a shot in the arm for motivation or some new scenery. They are on the hook for how we’re playing too, it’s not just the new guys.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if we don't get a home game in the playoffs and go out early or don't make it there need to be serious questions.

This squad is still the most expensive in the league and should never be involved in a scrap for playoffs.

Watching LAFC tonight it's sad how far behind we've fallen behind the top in this league in such a short period of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something I found really interesting tonight:

Laryea was down injured in the north end for an extended period. Four TFC on-field players were around Vanney, all drinking water. Vanney was talking fairly animated to them. None of the 4 players ever looked at Vanney; it actually looked like they were making a point of not listening. (Of course, they may have been listening, but their body language suggested something else.) Then one by one, while Vanney was still talking, the players tossed their water bottles aside and walked away, all the while still not acknowledging Vanney in any way. I can't even remember who the players were; I think Bradley was one of them.

Pretty amazing that took going down a goal, AND Patrick Mullins coming on, before TFC looked motivated to play for any length of time.
    I don’t think hat was a sign of anything abnormal. The players need to keep an eye on the pitch in those circumstances. I’m more concerned that when they come out of the locker room at the start of the game and the start of the second half they are flat - that’s been a problem for a while and a coach needs to solve that. Vanney hasn’t been able to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are onto something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    NER went from somebody worse in attitude & tactics then Paul Mariner to the closest equivalent this league has to Bobby Robson.

But these guys are as a unit playing uptight & worried on the pitch.

The post game mantra's are all about attitude & energy - something is getting in the way of a bunch of professionals as a unit putting in a full 90.
    they are playing afraid. Vanney’s press conference was interesting and incisive - about Shaff being isolated for example and changing OSo because he plays more centrally (and because “Pozuelo was playing on the right”).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I don’t think hat was a sign of anything abnormal. The players need to keep an eye on the pitch in those circumstances. I’m more concerned that when they come out of the locker room at the start of the game and the start of the second half they are flat - that’s been a problem for a while and a coach needs to solve that. Vanney hasn’t been able to.
    They weren't looking at the pitch either. They were looking everywhere except at Vanney. I've seen other water / injury breaks. This looked different.

But for sure it's reading tea leaves. As is almost everything people are saying about Vanney, Curtis, Bradley, and everyone else. Just searching for answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He may have lost it because the team knows it can't win and instead of defending himself as not being given the right players (which the players themselves never want to hear, they all think they could play at Madrid with the right breaks) he has to motivate them to just be better.

I think Curtis is hosing him, ala Mo with John Carver, all over the guy's decisions and really forcing his hand to play guys who just aren't good enough.

Maybe he played Shaffelburg because he creates chances and Gallardo still hasnt' picked up the system or shown anything. Maybe it's that simple.

That would, again, go to Curtis' ability to assess talent.

But how does he convey that to the players? He can't. And since they know all he can say (try harder) is kinda bullshit, they tune out.

If you can't give your workers the right tools and you're they're manager, they blame you, not the big boss. That's why the big boss picks you, to take the heat. Unless you're an adept weasel who puts others between you and responsibility, which some are quite good at, the manager wears it.

Carver went back to England and was Newcastle's first team coach again for awhile after he left us. Must've been shit at it though, obviously, otherwise Newcastle's problems would've been owner/purchase related. And we know that never happens.
    i don’t think they have tuned Vanney out exactly. It’s more like they are scared. I really don’t want him to go, and think the problem is with Manning. But if they don’t get results soon he will go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They weren't looking at the pitch either. They were looking everywhere except at Vanney. I've seen other water / injury breaks. This looked different.

But for sure it's reading tea leaves. As is almost everything people are saying about Vanney, Curtis, Bradley, and everyone else. Just searching for answers.
    Yeah, fair enough. Looking for the puff of smoke.