Page 33 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    That game was completely dominated by TFC... With a tad better luck finishing, a pk that should have been called, red card in the first half etc.. This game would have finished closer to 4 or 5 nil. Sure if you want to give Viera credit, but the negative tactics didn't work. Whether it was for 20, 50 or 80 minutes they lost. Vanney's speech at half time lit a fire under their ass as that second half was dominated by TFC,

Credit is due to Vanney he set this team up to succeed, as if they lost or played poorly it would have been all on his shoulder's
    Woulda been, coulda been isn't. We were up against it until the 84th minute. I think he had the right tactics coming in. They did the same thing when they last played us at BMO and they got the draw. That is nothing against Vanney, who obviously overcame them and won.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Vanney has really grown this year. The team played almost perfectly on Sunday - a huge performance from Bradley, but Vanney set them up to win, was brave in his substitutions, and didn't pull punches in his press conference. Have to give him complete credit for that, and what a change from the naïveté he showed when first appointed. Good for him and good for us. Thank God Almighty, stability at last.
    This. He wasn't what we wanted or needed when he was appointed, as he lacked experience. However by the time Manning took over he had learned enough to give him a run. Manning made the right decision to let him try. Now he has proven himself and has earned a well-deserved extension.

Those who were skeptical when he was appointed were totally correct, he lacked experience at the time (although Toronto was in tough to attract anyone more experienced after how many coaches we ran through). Those like myself who saw some potential after he had coached a while were also correct that he should be given a chance rather than change coaches once again (although TBH I would have gone for Kreis when he was available). Now though he has learned a lot, he is no longer inexperienced, and he is showing some really good decision-making and technical nuance. We are seeing results. There is no longer a reason to be so skeptical.

I think we're now in a position that our coach has really grown into someone we can all get behind. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't hold him accountable, but we can finally bid farewell to the endless coaching carousel.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-01-2016 at 09:17 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Woulda been, coulda been isn't. We were up against it until the 84th minute. I think he had the right tactics coming in. They did the same thing when they last played us at BMO and they got the draw. That is nothing against Vanney, who obviously overcame them and won.
    His own team doesn't agree.

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/column...ticle_id=46354
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Well, like I said in the other thread, they were punished a lot this year for playing that way. They will play that way Sunday. I think they will get punished.

The one thing he did that was weird was the goalkeeping change.
    Last edited by Canary10; 11-01-2016 at 09:28 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A great article on Vanney resurrecting the 3-5-2. Interesting for technical geeks like myself. http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/1...ow-it-works-qa

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might have arguably been Vanney's best coaching effort yet. Our side was going into a hostile environment where they've never won before, with David Villa not getting a suspension for his thug move last week, with disaster a possibility (after all, matches in New York have always been considered a catastrofuck in the making). And our side played the most solid, dominant game yet.

I was kinda meh when Vanney took over the coaching duties of this team a couple of years ago. But I think it's safe to say, he's grown into one of the league's best coaches.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it can be denied that Vanney outcoached Vieira.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-07-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to fire Vanney before it's too late, the team is underperforming

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both Vierra and Marsch are out because they insisted at all times on playing a certain way.

Pragmatism is practised around the world by good managers. Vierra went half way in their first game but his insistence on moving it out of the back ultimately did them in both here and in New York. That they had a player revolt over pragmatism says a lot more about Claudio Reyna (their GM) then anything else. Marsch's team lives and dies on that high tempo press.

Lots of teams talk about an identity.

I'd rather my team have the identity of a chameleon.

If the 3-5-2 doesn't fit playing Montreal, Vanney won't play it just because it has worked. If he tries it and its not working, he'll change it. That's what the best managers in MLS do. Good enough for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS manager of the year ? Maybe !!!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Vanney has taken a lot of heat, but he has grown into the role and really figured out how to get the best out of this team.

Look at this. Eight "of the year" finalists knocked out by TFC so far.
    2016 Major League Soccer Awards Finalists

Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player Finalists (December 6)

Sacha Kljestan (New York Red Bulls)
    David Villa (New York City FC)
    Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls)
    Defender of the Year Finalists (November 11)

Matt Hedges (FC Dallas)
    Axel Sjoberg (Colorado Rapids)
    Jelle Van Damme (LA Galaxy)
    Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year Finalists (November 17)

Andre Blake (Philadelphia Union)
    Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids)
    Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)
    Newcomer of the Year Finalists (November 21)

Ola Kamara (Columbus Crew SC)
    Nicolas Lodeiro (Seattle Sounders FC)
    Jelle Van Damme (LA Galaxy)
    *For this award, “newcomer” is defined as a player with previous professional experience who made his MLS debut in 2016
    AT&T Rookie of the Year Finalists (November 10)

Jack Harrison (New York City FC)
    Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC)
    Keegan Rosenberry (Philadelphia Union)
    *For this award, “rookie” is defined as a player without previous professional experience who made his MLS debut in 2016
    Coach of the Year Finalists (November 29)

Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids)
    Oscar Pareja (FC Dallas)
    Patrick Vieira (New York City FC)
    Comeback Player of the Year Finalists

Frank Lampard (New York City FC)
    Kevin Molino (Orlando City SC)
    Chris Pontius (Philadelphia Union)
    *Honors an MLS player who has overcome injuries and/or adversity in order to achieve success during the 2016 regular season
    MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year, presented by Advocare, Finalists (November 3)

Matt Lampson (Chicago Fire)
    Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)
    Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)
    MLS Fair Play Finalists – Individual (November 4)

Chad Marshall (Seattle Sounders FC)
    Keegan Rosenberry (Philadelphia Union)
    Chris Tierney (New England Revolution)
    *Selected by MLS based on objective criteria such as fouls committed, cards received, games and minutes played, as well as subjective evaluation of sportsmanlike behavior.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does MLS actually know Canada even exist. What a crock of shite

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were a casual, you thought TFC would park the bus. There were several media articles last week talking about the fact that TFC needed to bunker yesterday.

There were a ton of people on here last week arguing that TFC need to keep pressing high, go for the knockout punch, almost no one dissented (that I saw).

There was a rare perfect alignment between Vanney and the TFC hard core fan base, both of whom wanted to pursue the contrarian move. To see it succeed like that is incredibly gratifying.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If you were a casual, you thought TFC would park the bus. There were several media articles last week talking about the fact that TFC needed to bunker yesterday.

There were a ton of people on here last week arguing that TFC need to keep pressing high, go for the knockout punch, almost no one dissented (that I saw).

There was a rare perfect alignment between Vanney and the TFC hard core fan base, both of whom wanted to pursue the contrarian move. To see it succeed like that is incredibly gratifying.
    It was absolutely the right thing to do. NYCFC scored a lot of goals, but they gave up a ton, too. Our success has come from going after teams and we have the guns to do it. Vanney has shown a great improvement in his tactics and decision-making. It has taken him a while to get the measure of his team and to get them all pulling in the right direction, but it's quite something to see. Hell, even Osorio is hitting the net! The insertion of Cooper into the mix has been excellent and Ricketts is a great option off the bench. I am thoroughly enjoying this.

My only nightmare is this FIFA break. Two intense hex matches against two tough opponents right before the Montreal series make me very nervous for Altidore and Bradley.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well put

i never felt more in-tune with our TFC. really felt like TFC vs Everybody

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It was absolutely the right thing to do. NYCFC scored a lot of goals, but they gave up a ton, too. Our success has come from going after teams and we have the guns to do it. Vanney has shown a great improvement in his tactics and decision-making. It has taken him a while to get the measure of his team and to get them all pulling in the right direction, but it's quite something to see. Hell, even Osorio is hitting the net! The insertion of Cooper into the mix has been excellent and Ricketts is a great option off the bench. I am thoroughly enjoying this.

My only nightmare is this FIFA break. Two intense hex matches against two tough opponents right before the Montreal series make me very nervous for Altidore and Bradley.
    this is my only fear as well.....I'll be watching USA/Mexico on Friday night with no ties to either team, but with the same nervousness as watching TFC.....the good news is that should Bradley and Altidore make it through the 2 qualifiers ok they get plenty of rest before the 1st leg....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vieira definitely got outcoached. Can't argue with results. However, not sure how anyone argues against Vieira's tactics in the first game given how the second went. The little hissy fit team meeting their players went on for trying to play defensively and go for a draw sure worked didn't it? As I said above, they will have to play more open in the second game and try to score, and they will get punished if they do. They sure did get punished!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vierra had the right idea, but you don't play defensive and still insist on playing the ball out of the back. The two are not necessarily compatible. That and he needs both a keeper and 3 central defenders with the ball passing skills to pull that off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Vierra had the right idea, but you don't play defensive and still insist on playing the ball out of the back. The two are not necessarily compatible. That and he needs both a keeper and 3 central defenders with the ball passing skills to pull that off.
    I don't think they are incompatible (possession is generally a good defensive tactic), but it definitely got them into trouble a lot, especially with our high press. He should have abandoned that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is going to get interesting if we somehow lose to Montreal.

I'm not one to judge a coach on one game (or series) and I think that Vanney has earned himself another year. Having said that, being knocked out by our biggest rival again would be really hard to swallow.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon View Post
    This thread is going to get interesting if we somehow lose to Montreal.

I'm not one to judge a coach on one game (or series) and I think that Vanney has earned himself another year. Having said that, being knocked out by our biggest rival again would be really hard to swallow.
    Not for me. Bez and Vanney have clearly met a suitably tough standard now.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. We have made the final 4, and looked great doing it.
    Vanney has my full support heading into next season.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, I am so glad that I was proven wrong.

Vanney scarf?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any doubts now?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney's shift in formation when Giovinco went out in the conference final tonight was brilliant and led to TFC being able to unbalance Montreal's defense, and led to the game-winning goal.

Vanney has gone from being an inexperienced coach with occasional odd and poor decisions, to being an average MLS coach, to being quite a good coach. All in a very short time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about the formation change creating the goal. Montreal had that play defended. Beitashour and Cheyrou just beat them with perfection in the cross and finish.

The guys play for Vanney. That's the key for me. They love him.

I kind of like the results, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought we should give Vanney at least two years. I had my doubts at times, but he seems to have found another level. I'm willing to ride him as long as the players listen to him. If he can get an MLS cup under his belt, I think that would demand respect from players around the league wherever he coaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney4life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He doing quite well now he settled in :@)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

/ thread