Page 32 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrible coaching by Marsch...if he had done any preparation on TFC he would have subbed a player off at 3-1 and no replaced him.

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    I was just glad NYRB didnt get a red card.

We'd have been fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    They didn't go to the three man back line until all 3 goals against had been scored.
    We did not start with it, but I thought we were in the 3 man back line on the third goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    We did not start with it, but I thought we were in the 3 man back line on the third goal.
    Beitashour was caught too high up the pitch and Zavaleta was left guarding BWP in one of nephews worst game of his career.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Beitashour was caught too high up the pitch and Zavaleta was left guarding BWP in one of nephews worst game of his career.
    Also, Bradley could have helped, but screwed up badly. As the play developed, he was staring only at the ball at the side of the field & the NY players around the ball. Never once turned his head around to see how things were developing. When the ball went past him, he started jogging slowly. Only when he was facing our goal jogging did he realize there was a total lack of cover from the defense and the defensive midfield. When he started sprinting back, it was way too late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Third goal was at 48'. First sub was 53'. The change occurred when Endoh came in for Zavaleta at 64'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1:30pm the following afternoon and not a single post, negative or positive...I'll take that as a good sign

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't heard time to post here yet, and I'm not sure if it's worth the bother.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post
    1:30pm the following afternoon and not a single post, negative or positive...I'll take that as a good sign
    The Reds are in a good place, this truely has been a season of stability. Greg is about to finish his second full season as head coach of the Reds. Also when you look at the roster, there have been only two in-season additions, Tosaint Ricketts and Armando Cooper as opposed to the revolving door of years gone by.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see conflicting things going on, so I find it difficult to draw conclusions. On one hand, the lack of fire initially in the last several games might indicate a lack of trust in the system but the 2nd half improvements might indicate effective man management by the coaching staff (or lots of hair dryer throwing, who can say?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit_TFC View Post
    I see conflicting things going on, so I find it difficult to draw conclusions. On one hand, the lack of fire initially in the last several games might indicate a lack of trust in the system.
    The lack of trust in a system that got us to first in the conference? I doubt that's what it is. The players have been very vocal about how much they think of Vanney, Especially the leaders on the team.

I've already said this, but our problem yesterday was three players who would have been very useful against Philly's tactics were out injured and we didn't have adequate replacements for them. Even with just Rickets and Chapman in the lineup yesterday it would have been a much different game.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 09-25-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we finish 3rd or 4th with early playoff exit, he has to go, personally I blame this home losing stretch on him

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Vanney and Bez are now thisclose to guaranteeing that they come back. Unless there is a total collapse, they will be retained.

The team is an elite team, isn't backing in, is getting points without Giovinco, playing entertaining football.
    Football is a funny game. I posted this after the NYRB game less than two weeks ago. Now, they don't look very much like an elite team, can't get points without Gio, and are not playing entertaining football.

Today, it's this.....................close.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny but I have found our play in the last 2 games very entertaining - we have been moving the ball quicker up the field. There's only 1 guy on the field right now who can finish consistently. A lot of our chances are falling to Osorio and he can't score - its been his problem for years now and unless he fixes it in preseason in 2017, we will have to stop starting him. I don't blame Vanney for these lack of wins - if anything its Bez for not succeeding at getting us goal production out of the midfield (although Cooper might provide that).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this was more on the players than on Vanney. He gave them a game plan that had them overpowering DCU, but the players couldn't finish.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I found this was more on the players than on Vanney. He gave them a game plan that had them overpowering DCU, but the players couldn't finish.
    Agreed. They pressed hard but the clinical finishing was missing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Funny but I have found our play in the last 2 games very entertaining - we have been moving the ball quicker up the field. There's only 1 guy on the field right now who can finish consistently. A lot of our chances are falling to Osorio and he can't score - its been his problem for years now and unless he fixes it in preseason in 2017, we will have to stop starting him. I don't blame Vanney for these lack of wins - if anything its Bez for not succeeding at getting us goal production out of the midfield (although Cooper might provide that).
    I only saw the last 20 minutes plus highlights last night, but I was there Wednesday. Wednesday's game was entertaining, but more for the connoisseur (ie the Bradley-Kaka battles).

We are making some nice plays and winning our share of the ball, but are just wasting possession after possession in the final third. Is it entertaining? Not really.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling we go with the 3-5-2 next season. The team seems to be stockpiling wingers/FB's right now. Both our wide mids last night can play FB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The changes (both personnel change or position changes) in the offseason will be very interesting. Even with the current disappointments, there is a framework in place and Vanney/Bez should focus on the gaps. Not sure Osorio will keep his position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a league of stars. I've always said this, but it's becoming increasingly clear to me as the star players get better and more abundant. You can find examples of this every season; we are the latest one.

Giovinco goes 8 games without scoring, we only pick up a few points here and there. Giovinco goes down injured for over a month, and we struggle. Yet just before this stretch he was on fire and we grabbed 4 straight home wins.

The Sounders are dead in the water, they sign Lodeiro, and they look like a brand new team. Ditto for Montreal last season after signing Drogba. Vancouver has a pretty solid squad overall, but their DP striker and AM are anonymous all season, and they find themselves out of the playoff race. NYCFC sits in 2nd place despite a porous defense because Villa is carrying them on his shoulders.

Altidore has been fantastic, but it's rare he gets enough chances to win games on his own. It's why he could be on 20 goals right now and Giovinco would still be a better MVP candidate (also the reason BWP will not win MVP over Klejstan). At this stage in MLS every team needs a DP that can make things happen offensively by themselves. Those are the guys that get you points.

So the measure of a coach in this league in my eyes, by and large, is how well he can leverage his DPs, and how well he can get by without them. We've been definitively mediocre without Giovinco, which is frustrating as all hell, but I don't think very surprising. With him, we've been a top 3 team in the league. Besides his nurturing of young talent, Vanney doesn't seem to me to be anything special or awful. He's just shown himself to be good enough, I think. A good enough coach plus a relatively strong squad and the best creative DP in the league is a winning formula I would not mess with.

I have a feeling that come playoff time, with a healthy Giovinco, we'll be entering as a 1st place team in a 3rd place team disguise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I care about right now is being a top 2 team in the East. The MLS Cup is so much more attainable that way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    All I care about right now is being a top 2 team in the East. The MLS Cup is so much more attainable that way.
    100%.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am ready to call it.

Bez stays, based on the acquisition of Moor and the performance of the two summer signings, Ricketts and Cooper. We have had nothing but summer washouts, until this year.

Vanney stays, based on results, and on figuring out a formation (the 3-5-2) that works for all 3 of Bradley, Gio and Altidore. It takes guts to sit Johnson in favour of Hagglund or Zavaleta, to make that formation work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney outclassed Viera all game. From the lineup, to the substitution everything was spot on.

The man deserves his extension along with Bez as they have done a magnificent job with this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed
    He has done quite well really, maybe we should keep him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Vanney outclassed Viera all game. From the lineup, to the substitution everything was spot on.

The man deserves his extension along with Bez as they have done a magnificent job with this team.
    Outclassed is a bit strong. New York was only 5-6 minutes away from doing exactly their gameplan. We were pretty close to having a very different conversation. I'm actually really impressed with Vieira's tactics and understanding of the league less than a year in. Not a lot of people gave him a chance. He's going places.

Not that Vanney wasn't equally good, or just a bit better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am ready to call it.

Bez stays, based on the acquisition of Moor and the performance of the two summer signings, Ricketts and Cooper. We have had nothing but summer washouts, until this year.

Vanney stays, based on results, and on figuring out a formation (the 3-5-2) that works for all 3 of Bradley, Gio and Altidore. It takes guts to sit Johnson in favour of Hagglund or Zavaleta, to make that formation work.
    Hard to overstate that. Both have contributed immediately, unlike previous summer acquisitions (not always the players fault but end result is the same), and have a great potential to do even more.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Outclassed is a bit strong. New York was only 5-6 minutes away from doing exactly their gameplan. We were pretty close to having a very different conversation. I'm actually really impressed with Vieira's tactics and understanding of the league less than a year in. Not a lot of people gave him a chance. He's going places.

Actually Viera was just copying Kreis in using fouls to slow TFC down, there was no genius involved. It also needed a garbage ref who missed a pk and a red card to be even as close as it did. He wouldn't look so smart if those calls had happened.

That's not to say Viera hasn't done well overall. I rate him equivalent to Vanney year 1, which actually is incredibly good for a foreign coach. He won't be staying though, this is just a training gig for joining the coaching staff at Man City.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By about the 60th minute we were talking about how that was the best we have seen TFC play, they were on the same page and really playing well.

TFC won because we did that until the end of the game.

That is both coaching and talent.

Vanney has definitely proven me very, very wrong.

I don't think that I have been so happy to be wrong about something since I mistook eczema for an STD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post

That game was completely dominated by TFC... With a tad better luck finishing, a pk that should have been called, red card in the first half etc.. This game would have finished closer to 4 or 5 nil. Sure if you want to give Viera credit, but the negative tactics didn't work. Whether it was for 20, 50 or 80 minutes they lost. Vanney's speech at half time lit a fire under their ass as that second half was dominated by TFC,

Credit is due to Vanney he set this team up to succeed, as if they lost or played poorly it would have been all on his shoulder's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney has really grown this year. The team played almost perfectly on Sunday - a huge performance from Bradley, but Vanney set them up to win, was brave in his substitutions, and didn't pull punches in his press conference. Have to give him complete credit for that, and what a change from the naïveté he showed when first appointed. Good for him and good for us. Thank God Almighty, stability at last.